• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nickelodeon's TMNT CGI cartoon: New Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Zombie

Turtles look fine, although I don't understand why is Donatello missing a tooth.

However, while the art looks fine on Turtles and Splinter (he's too tall, though), April looks awful. She look too simplistic. She reminds me of Andy from Heart of Darkness. Also, her weird boots/pants make her legs look as if they belong to a toy :/

Turtles look fine, although I don't understand why is Donatello missing a tooth.

However, while the art looks fine on Turtles and Splinter (he's too tall, though), April looks awful. She look too simplistic. She reminds me of Andy from Heart of Darkness. Also, her weird boots/pants make her legs look as if they belong to a toy :/

I don't mind her but ehh.

Maybe that's why they only showed the 2D concept art for her at this latest event? Reworking the 3D model? Apparently THIS April is a rework of another April who was shorter and had a skirt instead of shorts if some of the stuff I'm reading from this other TMNT site is to be trusted.

Also, she's going to train with Splinter to become a Kunoichi so I expect her cloths to change at some point.

Zekes!

"Heroes don't ask for permission" is actually kind of a cool.funny quote IMO.

Honestly, I'll probably never watch this, but if I ever do I don't have high hopes

Boogiepop

They even got a Ninja master in to help choreograph the moves. Their storyboard artists would go down to the dojo and record him going through sequences and combinations then come back and board from the video.
This bugs me way more than it should. I mean, apparently some martial artists tried to spin off the popularity of the whole "ninja" thing a while back, but "Ninja master" doesn't seem to be a real thing. I mean, maybe kind of, but still. Just seems off to me, but I'll admit to not being 100% versed in such topics.

Kamille

I'm gonna wait to see the finished product before pre-judging too harshly. I will say I'm intrigued from reading some of the details. Just gonna look it as a different take on TMNT, so it's not really gonna retroactively tarnish my childhood memories. Can't say I'm a fan of April being a teenager though. The overall look will take a lot of getting used to for me also.

I think what they're going for with Don having a missing tooth is they want each turtle to have a distinct look so they don't all look the same outside of their colors. So I'm guessing they each have a unique physical characteristic. Mike's freckles, Don's missing tooth...etc.

Brickhunt

People were shitting hard on Green Lantern: Animated Series before it premiered, but it easily proved to be one of the best animated shows of this year and leagues above Ultimate Spider Man crap. And you can't cry "CGs are taking over everything!"because we are also getting a good amount of hand draw shows like Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Legend of Korra and Young Justice. I think that for the moment we have a good between hand draw and CG

So, I'm on the side that says to wait the show premier before start to draw conclusions. I was very intrigued by the information brought and I'm happy they are trying their own thing and mix elements from both the 80s show and the 2k3 one (In fact, 2k3 is one of the greatest animated shows I've ever seen....Fast Foward aside)

I'll be waiting for this show, Korra is a freaking awesome show, but it can't carry Nick alone of the action department. Specially compared to Cartoon Network, and if there is a franchise that seems to get action and humor right, it's TMNT

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
People were shitting hard on Green Lantern: Animated Series before it premiered, but it easily proved to be one of the best animated shows of this year and leagues above Ultimate Spider Man crap. And you can't cry "CGs are taking over everything!"because we are also getting a good amount of hand draw shows like Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Legend of Korra and Young Justice. I think that for the moment we have a good between hand draw and CG

So, I'm on the side that says to wait the show premier before start to draw conclusions. I was very intrigued by the information brought and I'm happy they are trying their own thing and mix elements from both the 80s show and the 2k3 one (In fact, 2k3 is one of the greatest animated shows I've ever seen....Fast Foward aside)

I'll be waiting for this show, Korra is a freaking awesome show, but it can't carry Nick alone of the action department. Specially compared to Cartoon Network, and if there is a franchise that seems to get action and humor right, it's TMNT

Very good point. Between Clone Wars, Beast Wars and the new Green Lantern series, I'm starting to warm up to this new breed of shows. GL looked like lukewarm garbage, but all the positive buzz I saw around it made me give it a chance. And it is actually decent. A lot of people around here put the animated shows of the 80s and 90s on a pedestal, but I would make the argument that the current crop of shows have gotten far more sophisticated across the board. The writers of many shows are obviously catering to children and adults, and things are improving because of it.

IpsoFacto

Oookkkaaayyy... I'm confused... Were these pictures from a cancelled Ninja Turtles game from the Sega Saturn? What are they doing in a topic about a new upcoming cartoon?

This bugs me way more than it should. I mean, apparently some martial artists tried to spin off the popularity of the whole "ninja" thing a while back, but "Ninja master" doesn't seem to be a real thing. I mean, maybe kind of, but still. Just seems off to me, but I'll admit to not being 100% versed in such topics.
Yes, there are people who study "Ninjutsu" and train with weapons commonly associated with Ninjas or Samurai. Hell, there are people who train and practice with Knight Armor.E

Exactly.

I will say that though I love and respect 3D animation I never have high hopes for CGI cartoons when I first hear about them ... but time and time again they get me.
From Transformers Prime to GL to this new Tron, I find myself loving these shows when at first I thought the style was just lame or too reserved or w/e.

MisterHero

I agree about CG cartoons being too harshly judged right now, but I disagree about Green Lantern. It's a fun adventure show but still doesn't compare with the DCAU series.

If TRON Uprising continues delivering like the 1st episode did, it could leave every other CG show in the dust. The plot might not be deep but the presentation more than makes up for it.

Brickhunt

I agree about CG cartoons being too harshly judged right now, but I disagree about Green Lantern. It's a fun adventure show but still doesn't compare with the DCAU series.

If TRON Uprising continues delivering like the 1st episode did, it could leave every other CG show in the dust. The plot might not be deep but the presentation more than makes up for it.
I loved the DCAU shows, but sometimes I think people exaggerate it as a benchmark. There wasn't really a GL show in DCAU, only their characters guest starring or sharing the spotlight in JL, their mythos overall wasn't very exploded. Considering that GA:Animated has Bruce Timm on the team, I think the show is pretty much a spiritual DCAU show, only in CGi.

That said, I have to admit that sometimes I'm afraid of CGi shows, even if they are of high quality, do a hostile take over and very few hand draw shows remain. I freaking love Transformers Prime, it's probably my favorite animated show currently airing. (Say what you want about Bayformers films quality, but that money has done wonders for the franchise, specially the cartoons), but I do feel sad that the TF: Animated ended, specially since we learned the things they were planning for season 4. I too resent that Batman: The Brave and the Bold was discontinued in order to open things for Beware the Batman, I do rather have a JL: International set in that universe instead of yet another Batman show

Babalu.

I didn't read the OP but:

I have a friend that is a storyboard artist on this and he showed me an episode that was like half animated. I'm a big ninja turtles fan but i wasn't really feeling this new direction.

The animation is nice, the way the turtles move and stuff but the foot clan are all robots i think so thats why they can "kill" things with the new weapons. Theres a whole bunch of krangs now instead of one in a man suit.

The dialogue is definitely right up this generations alley though. All those man childs that like my little pony and adventure time will like the turtles if they're not put off by the cgi. (i've never seen anything longer then 2 minutes of MLP or adventure time but thats how these shows all seem.

I think this will be a little cult hit like all those other cartoons man children worship these days but it is definitely nothing like the cartoon I remember from the 90's.

P.S. he said casey jones is in there too at some point.

yencid

I've learned to not judge animated series because of them being in CG (see GLTAS)

also

They then talked about how they differentiated the look of the TMNT with them all being slightly different shades of green, different heights, different builds, Don’s gap in his teeth, the crack on Raph’s chest

megusta.

The animation is nice, the way the turtles move and stuff but the foot clan are all robots i think so thats why they can "kill" things with the new weapons.

Well damn, they have now effectively fixed the one thing that always bugged me about series like this that have violence and blades but no "real harm" dealt out with said blades.

Looking forward to this.

bengraven

As one of the first in my area obsessed with the Turtles back when I got the first Archie TMNT comic book waaaaaaaaaaay back in August 1988 and later a lover of the indie comics and pnp mutant RPGs, I gotta say there are only two things that suck about this:

1) Shredder's costume

2) Donny's gap in his teeth

Otherwise I'm down with what they said. All of it. Fuck it, I miss the Turtles and the last animated series was bad. My kid and I are going to watch this and it will be fucking awesome.

Also, so what about teenage April? I agree with the creators: April is 30 and a reporter. She's not only creepy to be hanging out with teens, but she was always a boring character to me (except the nipple pokies in the first TMNT movie...I think that scene made my first pubic hair pop out when I saw it when I was 10 or 11). Make her a kid, give the girls someone they can root for, who cares?

I think it looks alright. Some of those screen shots look awful, but I learned a long while ago not to judge this stuff unless you see it in motion. Screen shots either make things like several leagues better or worse in most cases, and are rarely reflective of the final product in motion, you know?

I like the whole making them look and act more like teenagers angle, too. That's pretty clever. I don't mind the gap in Don's teeth, varying heights, lack of muscles, etc.

The only thing I don't like are changing Mikey and Don's weapons. I can live with a blade on the bo staff, but giving Michaelangelo a... whatever it is he's holding (like a bladed manriki chain or something) is stupid.

Otherwise, if it ever lands on iTunes, I'll probably check it out.

Gameboy415

So basically:

Don =
alfered-Neuman-42213183770.jpeg

April =

Why does Don's Bo have a blade on the end?
Why does Splinter have human hands?!?!
Emoticons??? Are the Turtles going to start f*@king texting during battles now?

I feel like Nickelodeon dug up my already brutally murdered childhood and is forcing it to watch war propaganda. :(

And FUCK Nickelodeon for buying out the franchise right when they were finally going to finish the Archie Comics TMNT Adventures Future Saga! ARGH!!!

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like terrible PS1/Saturn cgi cutscenes.

Epcott

NQwgG.jpg

Seems fitting.

I would love to see a Ninja Turtles from the guys who did RedLine (as long as they're not the over the top super hero turtles), or from the Motorcity guys.

CGI looks like a generic lego game: Kreo TMNT

OMG

OMG

OMG

EDIT: wow, so much hate in this thread =(

I know, right? :/

I can only say this as someone who also hasn't seen shit of this show ... but I really do think people need to wait to see it first.

It seems like some things may still be in flux (like April's model. I DO find it strange that they would only show her 2D concept art at this event) but from the look of it ... they could have something good for us.

People need to remember that Nick CAN make good action shows (The last show of their's to take influence from anime turned out pretty damn well). It's not doomed and I have yet to see a CGI show get a ton of praise from promo pics. They always need to be seen in motion.

Epcott

I feel people have a right to judge this harshly.

These are the character's final designs, are they not? Why see them in motion if the design is already pretty questionable? I mean really... Mikey has freckles. April is a teen. Don has a teeth gap. Splinter looks more like Anubis than a rat.

Even if the animators decided not to go with an overused angular artistic style (a staple of most Nick animation) the little "additions" to make them approachable to kids come off generic and unneeded.

Edit: OMG Donny, your avatar is amazing.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh god why

The designs are awkward (no muscles = bad bad bad)

Changing ultroms to krang, wtf

Make April a loli, wtf

No no no no no no

Gameboy415

I'm still interested in the new figure line for my son (4) but we haven't heard any news in a while:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=461524

Playmates updated its website the other day but there's still no real news about when we can pre-order these things.

The new figures all look pretty good, surprisingly!

I like that the figures have solid-white eyes (like the original comics) and that they don't focus on Don's ridiculous tooth gap.

The classic line looks amazing too - I may actually pick them up.

Why put blades on weapons when they won't even use the damn blade on a kids show?

From what I've been reading, Nickelodeon wants the turtles to seriously dismember their robotic bodies that the Kraang ride around in. They won't use blades on living enemies, but robots are going to get seriously f***ed up.

Also, so what about teenage April? I agree with the creators: April is 30 and a reporter. She's not only creepy to be hanging out with teens, but she was always a boring character to me (except the nipple pokies in the first TMNT movie...I think that scene made my first pubic hair pop out when I saw it when I was 10 or 11). Make her a kid, give the girls someone they can root for, who cares?

It's not the only property where they're de-aging the turtles' human allies. In the current IDW series, April and Casey are college students (April interning at Stockgen and Casey having an athletic scholarship but being on academic probation)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
FYI April is NOT a reporter. She is an adult yes, but she's only been a reporter in the 80's cartoon and movies. She's generally a lab assistant.

I feel people have a right to judge this harshly.

These are the character's final designs, are they not? Why see them in motion if the design is already pretty questionable?
Because this always happens?

GL:TAS? TRON? Transformers Prime? They ALL looked trash to me from promo shots designwise and that changes greatly when you actually see something in motion with the voice and everything.

And apparently people who are fans of the Turtles and have actually SEEN them in motion at this event say the same. "The crowd loved it, massive cheers and applause. The show looks really good in motion and the voice acting was good".

Just give it a chance is all I'm saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom