• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier: Automata Anime is a faithful adoption of the game

https://comicbook.com/anime/news/nier-automata-anime-opening-watch/

With Ryouji Masayuma directing and handling the series' composition together with original game creator Yoko Taro for A-1 Pictures, Nier: Automata Ver1.1a is now streaming its new episodes with Crunchyroll.

Direct comparison:

TezlbOS.jpg
NqbnIyN.jpg
ZscRLuF.jpg

But hey, what kind of faithful adoption it is if it does not present the iconic best butt in video games?

jEQukKG.png

I hope the full series end up great. I love the game's story but it is indeed a slog to revisit and play 5 NG+ to see the true ending. A good anime presentation will be much coherent and focused for the story.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I hope the full series end up great. I love the game's story but it is indeed a slog to revisit and play 5 NG+ to see the true ending.

That's inaccurate. Route B repeats some -not all- content with a whole bunch of new sequences and mechanics, Route C is entirely new content, and the remainder are extremely short sequences/set-pieces. Even then, its not the longest or most challenging of games.

That's inaccurate. Route B repeats some -not all- content with a whole bunch of new sequences and mechanics, Route C is entirely new content, and the remainder are extremely short sequences/set-pieces. Even then, its not the longest or most challenging of games.
I know, this is best to persuade someone that gave up in their first playthrough.

I got platinum for the game and it is a slog for me to revisit. Mechanics and set pieces get stale very quickly in new routes. The goodies are the characters, story, and music, which I hope the TV animation can deliver.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I know, this is best to persuade someone that gave up in their first playthrough.

I got platinum for the game and it is a slog for me to revisit. Mechanics and set pieces get stale very quickly in new routes. The goodies are the characters, story, and music, which I hope the TV animation can deliver.

Chapter select is there for a reason, as is the way Yoko structures his games. You can't distil every joke down to just a punchline, and the way the routes flow not only reinforces key themes and plot points, but its critical to the impact and overall meaning of the story.

Merging it all down to a single, multi-perspective narrative is going to produce a very different result, as is I suspect removing it from its original medium. These are quite specifically video-game stories; Automata isn't nearly so on-the-nose about it as the first game, but they are both first-and-foremost challenges to the conventions (and conventional limitations) of our expectation of what a videogame story "is".

Chapter select is there for a reason, as is the way Yoko structures his games. You can't distil every joke down to just a punchline, and the way the routes flow not only reinforces key themes and plot points, but its critical to the impact and overall meaning of the story.

Merging it all down to a single, multi-perspective narrative is going to produce a very different result, as is I suspect removing it from its original medium. These are quite specifically video-game stories; Automata isn't nearly so on-the-nose about it as the first game, but they are both first-and-foremost challenges to the conventions (and conventional limitations) of our expectation of what a videogame story "is".

You are talking about how essential the game structure is to present the story, a totally different matter, on which I agree with you.

I was saying I want to watch the anime to revisit the story, because I finished the game and don't feel like replaying the full length of the game. Will I miss out some delicate nuance? Probably yes, but I don't really need to get every joke to be amused, right?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I was saying I want to watch the anime to revisit the story, because I finished the game and don't feel like replaying the full length of the game. Will I miss out some delicate nuance? Probably yes, but I don't really need to get every joke to be amused, right?
I dont know it is true or not but be warned if Yoko Taro himself is involved in production of this show then the story might not follow the game's story.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You are talking about how essential the game structure is to present the story, a totally different matter, on which I agree with you.

My point is just that I think that maybe you have to go the distance again to truly revisit the experience.

On the other hand, I'm not sure whether its even possible. I mean in a way similar to that you can't ever recreate a particularly important part of your past no matter how much nostalgia you hold for it. The journey, the novelty of that journey, how it made you feel, was a one-time-thing.

Shifty1897

Aren’t they still finding secrets in these games?
No, Yoko Taro confirmed everything in Nier: Automata was found when the PlatinumGames code that skips to the end credits was found.

A few months ago some asshats developed a new way to mod the game and drummed up hype for it by telling people they found a new secret area in the game.

Imagine thinking after just the first episode this is going to be exactly like the game.

You don't know Yoko Taro if you think it's going to be exactly like the game by the end.

Madonis

I'll only watch if there are both significant and interesting differences.

I can always replay the original game one of these days if I want to experience the same thing all over again.

That's inaccurate. Route B repeats some -not all- content with a whole bunch of new sequences and mechanics, Route C is entirely new content, and the remainder are extremely short sequences/set-pieces. Even then, it’s not the longest or most challenging of games.
They might be confusing Automata with Replicant where it does actually take 5 play throughs to see the true ending.

A.Romero

Thanks for posting this. Got to see it yesterday and enjoyed it a lot. Can't see how an anime about this topic could be better done. They are even showing alternate endings after credits.

Animation is pretty good (The CGI stuff like the aerial combat is not so good), music is great (same from the game) and they seem to be following the story closely. Going by the intro it would seem they will show every character from the game.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the episodes. The story told in this game really moved me when I played it.

the cgi is trash but otherwise i enjoyed it. ive been wanting to replay it but have too many other games. watching a 20 min episode now and then is perfect for me.

One thing I would like to see Anime to go is to go 60FPS just like the games. It just looks so much better if it'd look smoother. I get the arguments like: But then it doesn't look cinematic anymore bleh bleh bleh. But I think people would adjust in like a week to a few weeks time, get used to the high framerate content and never can go back anymore.

Top Bottom