• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR Replicant vs NieR Automata, which is the GOAT soundtrack?

Which is the GOAT?

• NieR Replicant

Votes: 35 37.2%
  • NieR Automata

Votes: 59 62.8%

• Total voters
I'd rather have the old version of Shadowlord and Gods Bound by Rules. Grandma is also slightly better in the original game.

I can't choose. Both are my favorite OST of videogames. If someone pointed a gun at me, I'd say Automata, only because it has more variety.

elbourreau

Why Dont We Have Both GIF

DaciaJC

Gold Member
It's so hard to choose ... but if I had to pick one, I'd go with Replicant. So many iconic tracks, Automata ended up borrowing some of them.

Grandma

Song of the Ancients

10v12

I unironically started playing Nier Automata strictly for the music. I knew about the series for a while but had no interest in it. Then FFXIV had a collab raid with Nier which featured soundtracks from the series.

It was after hearing this remix I thought "yea I'm going to check out Nier"

Its 'Dark Colossus Destroys All' mixed with 'Torn From the Heavens' from FFXIV. But as it turned out this piece was actually from Replicant, so ya I'd have to go with Replicant

killatopak

Gold Member
Making me choose between my children.

I chose Replicant but ask me another day and I might pick Automata.

The 8 bit soundtrack are amazing.

linko9

Original by miles, not even close. There are some good tracks in Automata, but it mostly comes off as B-side material compared to the first game. They caught lightning in a bottle, and understandably couldn't replicate it. I'm curious how many people that prefer Automata's soundtrack played that game first. Certainly it's a better game in lots of ways, which I know for me always has a (maybe subconscious) effect on how I rate a game's music.

I also can't say I love the redone soundtrack for the remake; still very good, but not a single track is improved from the original IMO.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Gotta go with the 2010 original and the various mixes derived from that. The remastered/redone soundtrack has some fantastic pieces, but others really don't work so well for me.

Automata's OST is great too, but its hurt a little by it being so layered for use within the game and as a result can be quite repetitive and indistinct. Its also extremely long which obviously has an impact on its impression as a piece of standalone music.

Go_Ly_Dow

Original by miles, not even close. There are some good tracks in Automata, but it mostly comes off as B-side material compared to the first game. They caught lightning in a bottle, and understandably couldn't replicate it. I'm curious how many people that prefer Automata's soundtrack played that game first. Certainly it's a better game in lots of ways, which I know for me always has a (maybe subconscious) effect on how I rate a game's music.

I also can't say I love the redone soundtrack for the remake; still very good, but not a single track is improved from the original IMO.
I really liked the remasters music, particularly Shadowlord, Castle, Roar and a few others too.

Muffdraul

No idea. All I know is that I finally played Replicant and Automata two years ago and Replicant was OK on the first playthrough. I dutifully drudged through it over and over to get all of the endings and by the time I was done I wanted to snap the goddamn disc in half and burn it. Whereas Automata stayed fresh and fun throughout the process of getting all of the endings, and then some. Replicant's story and characters left me cold. Automata felt like it had way more heart and soul to me, ironically. I barely remember the music for either one, except for the robot carnival in Automata.

Really tough choice, good thread.

Automata:
Weight of the World (ending E most, all versions though)
Pascal
Voice of No Return
City Ruins

Replicant
Song of the Ancients (Fate)
Kaine/Salvation
Emil/Sacrifice
Shadowlord's Castle
Snow in Summer

Really really close, probably need to hand it to Replicant though.

Shut0wen

Replicant is a better game then automata in every way, maybe its cause of nostalgia but it definitely had the best endings and boss fights

Hudo

Let me put it this way: The credits song during the credits of Ending E in Automata made me cry. Especially when the devs started to sing in the background as well.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Replicant. I see more examples of Replicant being OP. I don’t remember Automata as much as I do Replicant. I own Replicant’s OST.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Chocolate or vanilla?
Brunettes or blondes?
Replicant or Automata?

I don't know man. But one thing is clear andt It's that both are very, very good.

Gambit2483

Really tough choice, good thread.

Automata:
Weight of the World (ending E most, all versions though)
Pascal
Voice of No Return
City Ruins

Replicant
Song of the Ancients (Fate)
Kaine/Salvation
Emil/Sacrifice
Shadowlord's Castle
Snow in Summer

Really really close, probably need to hand it to Replicant though.
Great list, I would personally also add Alien Manifestation (vocals) to the Automata list. Hopefully the "Nier" series continues on.

Go_Ly_Dow

Great list, I would personally also add Alien Manifestation (vocals) to the Automata list. Hopefully the "Nier" series continues on.
Around 8mil copies sold for Automata and now a cult classic. I think it's a given. I think the hold up is probably for artistic/development reasons than commercial. Maybe it'll be made in house this time.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
People like autorama for non gaming reasons, replicant was ahead of its time with a very prominent soundtrack and semi open world.

Top Bottom