• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Night Trap 25th Anniversary Edition |OT| Relax, Pretend It's A Game

I have some fond memories playing this game late at night when I was a teenager. Had it on the 3DO way back. Didn't have too many games for the system, but I also had Psychic Detective, very similar gameplay. Anyone remember that one?

Not a collector at all but I have both of these complete in box somewhere, will have to dig them up someday. I'll definitely pick this up on Steam if it goes on sale someday.

Neat to think about some younger players trying this out for the first time. I remember controversy surrounding it, made it that much more fun to play.

s_mirage

I have some fond memories playing this game late at night when I was a teenager. Had it on the 3DO way back. Didn't have too many games for the system, but I also had Psychic Detective, very similar gameplay. Anyone remember that one?

Yes, I've got it on the 3DO and PC. The point of view switching in that was was quite sophisticated, more so than Night Trap, though it wasn't immediately obvious what you were supposed to be doing. Lots of possible endings. I'd really like to see it get a remastering, but I don't expect it to be top of EA's priorities.

cj_iwakura

Watch out leaderboards, here I come.

DIHTZ1IUAAABg59.jpg

Shizuka

Honestly, I just got a game over after Megan's performance and I don't even know what I'm doing. What should I be doing? I read the controls, but what gives?

cj_iwakura

Honestly, I just got a game over after Megan's performance and I don't even know what I'm doing. What should I be doing? I read the controls, but what gives?

You let too many Augers get away. You can't let the captured/escape variance go over 25%.

Shizuka

Got this from GameFAQs:

Square and X select, triangle and circle activate. L1 and R1 swap the color of the code key color. The goal is to swap between cameras and get the Augs, the guys in black, to fall into the traps. When you see one creep into a room and the indicator light blinks red, activate the trap to catch them. The starting color, blue, is the default key color to activate traps. You have to listen to the couple who owns the house to know what color code they're switching to that you'll need go continue to trigger traps. Blue won't activate them forever so if you miss what it changed to, try another color until you figure out which color will let the trap button work.

I guess I should just pay attention and hit the trap button once it's blinking red.

cj_iwakura

A little disappointed in the instruction book to be honest. It's neat and all, but the original Sega CD one(in all its B&W glory) was actually more detailed.

This one's more like a mission dossier. Cool and all, but I liked the old school original.

The poster, however, is nice. Very good paper stock.

My CE just came in the mail yesterday and I played a bit last night. They made a lot of improvements on the original game. Just being able to monitor all the feeds at once for movement makes the game 100% more playable. I think a lot of people are sleeping on this game.

cj_iwakura

The new version actively messes with people familiar with the original. Certain timings and appearances are completely different.

cj_iwakura

I'm okay with that.

The one that really threw me for a loop is while the family arrives downstairs. A group of Augers appears in Hall 2, four in all. One gets a trap in Hall 2, the other three go into the bathroom. One gets hit by the wall, the other gets away. The last one goes from there into the bedroom(seamless transition), you get him there.

In NT25, that last one stays in the bathroom, and you get him there instead(the one by the shower, not the wall). It fits, but still, really threw me off.

According to the dev on facebook, that's how it was on the master tapes. Presumably things got changed afterward for the original versions.

Also, Danny's death scene is REALLY messed up. I'm not at all surprised it got taken out. (But the sequence to save him is pretty weird, too, like it was spliced together.)

The one that really threw me for a loop is while the family arrives downstairs. A group of Augers appears in Hall 2, four in all. One gets a trap in Hall 2, the other three go into the bathroom. One gets hit by the wall, the other gets away. The last one goes from there into the bedroom(seamless transition), you get him there.

In NT25, that last one stays in the bathroom, and you get him there instead(the one by the shower, not the wall). It fits, but still, really threw me off.

According to the dev on facebook, that's how it was on the master tapes. Presumably things got changed afterward for the original versions.

Also, Danny's death scene is REALLY messed up. I'm not at all surprised it got taken out. (But the sequence to save him is pretty weird, too, like it was spliced together.)

Yeah that one is a bit awkward. But overall, I'm very happy with the way the re-release turned out.

IrishNinja

it's a testament to how crazy 2017 is that i don't know when ill be getting to this one...but i'm excited when i do!

OP did awesome work as always, also came to my house & showed me how to beat this game so that helped, haha

ranmafan

Finally got my collectors edition in the mail today and put aside Dragon Quest XI for a bit to enjoy some great old FMV action. Really they have done a magnificent job with this release. The video quality is fantastic and I love all the little options you can do with selecting the former screen variations from past games. Although, and maybe I'm nuts here, but it would've been neat if the video was the same quality as the old games when you selected the old versions. But still such an awesome version of this game. Having the video playable on all screens at once fixes the big problem the game had before. I've always been a fan of this game and I'm looking forward to playing it a lot more.

One thing I noticed though. Has anyone else had an issue with a like one pixe sized red bar running across the top of the screen? It's a little weird that it's there. Doesn't hurt playing the game but wish it weren't there.

But yeah so happy to finally have this game. Can't wait to unlock all the extras!

cj_iwakura

Finally got my collectors edition in the mail today and put aside Dragon Quest XI for a bit to enjoy some great old FMV action. Really they have done a magnificent job with this release. The video quality is fantastic and I love all the little options you can do with selecting the former screen variations from past games. Although, and maybe I'm nuts here, but it would've been neat if the video was the same quality as the old games when you selected the old versions. But still such an awesome version of this game. Having the video playable on all screens at once fixes the big problem the game had before. I've always been a fan of this game and I'm looking forward to playing it a lot more.

One thing I noticed though. Has anyone else had an issue with a like one pixe sized red bar running across the top of the screen? It's a little weird that it's there. Doesn't hurt playing the game but wish it weren't there.

But yeah so happy to finally have this game. Can't wait to unlock all the extras!
I've seen it here and there.

ranmafan

I've seen it here and there.

Ok good to hear it's not just me. Probably it's there cause I have the screen set to pixel to pixel to get the full screen area viewable, and I know that can end up showing somethings not viewable otherwise.

Either way though it's thankfully not effecting the game so that's good.

cj_iwakura

PS4 version just got an update to v1.03. File size is 335.9MB.

Update history just says "Performance improvements".

It fixes a glitched trophy, among other text errors, the main programmer posts in the FB group a lot. Notice that NO ONE has a platinum yet, or Deleted Scene#2.

I NEED the ost from Scene of the Crime's opening bedroom scene. Jammin.

Top Bottom