• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei News - Wii sells out on 1st day, nearly 400,000 sold

empanada

shining.gif
wiigirl.gif

Mmmmmmmmmm....

Krowley

Bert said:
No, it'd be a disaster only if you are picky about graphics. Anyway, have you graphics whore ever thought that the PS3/360 winning by a landslide would be a disaster for those who don't enjoy overpriced consoles and samey games?

Perosnally I hope the Wii wins this gen with the 360 a close second so we get a mix of both styles at a reasonable price.

Just wanted to make the point that i'm not one of the "graphics whores" you are talking about.... I merly mentioned their views since they are probably afraid of this thread..

And the girl is slightly overrated.. i give her an 8 out of 10... she's not AAA but she's solid.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Since we have another thread dedicated to them lovely milk bladders, can we get back on topic, please?

Xavien

of-course i had to join in the "Hot girl with tittays!!1" avatar trend :D

I love the smell of derailments in the morning.

Diffense said:
Agreed.

The PSX innovated.
It was a simple thing (CD Media), but it changed the entire industry view.

Most times someone succeeds in turning the tables in an industry its because they innovated and changed the model against which products are evaluated and compared. People writing Wii of becuase it was different were missing the very point.

PS1 was inovative only in that it was the first console to do decent 3D graphics standard, and the 1st party Sony was able to get almost everyone on board making games for it, and it was sold at a mass market price for such an advanced console.

CD media for consoles had been around since 6 years before the PS1, the PC-Engine CD add-on came out in 1988.

Also, the first console with CD-ROM standard, and also the first 32-bit console was the Japan-only FM-Towns Marty from Fujitsu of 1991 which pre-dates PS1, Saturn, 3DO and even Commodore CD32.

ethelred

castle007 said:
I think it is just people claiming "SONY IS DOOMED"

Well, to be fair, there was also a fairly surprising number of people making the somewhat counterintuitive "NINTENDO IS DOOMED!" claim.

TheIkariWarrior said:
PS1 was inovative only in that it was the first console to do decent 3D graphics standard, and the 1st party Sony was able to get almost everyone on board making games for it, and it was sold at a mass market price for such an advanced console.

First console to do decent 3D graphics? Meh. "Standard" (if you're using the word how I think you are) maybe, but SEGA Saturn says howdy-do with titles like Panzer Dragoon. Why's Sony get credit for looking so good when really Saturn was fully capable machine?

Kureishima said:
First console to do decent 3D graphics? Meh. "Standard" (if you're using the word how I think you are) maybe, but SEGA Saturn says howdy-do with titles like Panzer Dragoon. Why's Sony get credit for looking so good when really Saturn was fully capable machine?

Saturn was also the first multi-core consoles to release into the market but dev teams weren't ready for it yet. imagine if multi-core processing was tapped back then....

Osaka-Bay

Just making sure I make my place in history before being banned. Also this thread will be great for laffs in the event that Nintendo doesnt come out on top in the end. Im a Nintendo fanboy, but im jaded and highly pesimistic. What can I say the world made me this way.:D

ZeoVGM

Banned
Osaka-Bay said:
Just making sure I make my place in history before being banned. Also this thread will be great for laffs in the event that Nintendo doesnt come out on top in the end. Im a Nintendo fanboy, but im jaded and highly pesimistic. What can I say the world made me this way.:D

Al...righty?

Deku

Banned
To be fair, between fapping to that Wii chic and pre Wednesday Media Creaton damage control, there are not that many quotables in this thread to make it all that funny, except for the damage control posts I suppose, and what appears to be a Sony/Xbox fan cat fight somewhere on this page.

Osaka-Bay

So what your saying is that someone needs to make a comment like " I will eat crow if X happens" so who will be the first one I wonder?

Zynx

JDA said:
I'm finding the Nintendo numbers hard to believe. I made a bunch of calls today, and as far as I can tell, there has only been one shipment, and some of those were cut.

Are these 600k and 400k numbers provided only from Nintendo? If so, why does anyone take that as credible? People here are supposed to cast doubt on such claims by a single company, right?

Hah...you think a company will even bother trying to risk bragging about fake numbers when Media Create/Famitsu/NPD/etc. come just a few weeks later? You're far too paranoid.

Plus Nintendo didn't really need to advertise to the enthusiast gamers [i.e. us], we've been talking about it all this time, we've been looking for whatever scraps of info that has been available about this new system from Nintendo they don't need to bother spending the money.

Once all the early adopters are tapped out, then it'll be time to expand the advertising. But frankly, they've been getting tons of free press anyways.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
bill0527 said:
I still can't find a Wii here in the U.S. without lining up for several hours outside a retail store.

I came up with a dry run again this morning.

The Wii was in both the Target and Circuit City ads today.

Target opens at 8am so I got there at 7am and there were 50 people in line already, so I didn't bother staying because I know they didn't get that many systems in.

I went across the street for Circuit City's 10am opening and got there around 7:45 and there were 60 people in line already.
Are you kidding I had Wiis up to my elbows here in NYC (Called Circuit City also and they said they had 50 of them). 3 stores Target and two best buys. Unfortunately I was looking for a PS3 and ended up getting one on Craiglist. Tip - Don't line up for consoles, if you do you will most likely get raped after all your disapointing runs.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
TheProfessor said:
wiigirl.gif

Man I love those titties. Feel like getting a Wii just for that. Great marketing.

i just kinda wish she was wearing something that would show some shadow

TheProfessor said:
Are you kidding I had Wiis up to my elbows here in NYC (Called Circuit City also and they said they had 50 of them). 3 stores Target and two best buys. Unfortunately I was looking for a PS3 and ended up getting one on Craiglist. Tip - Don't line up for consoles, if you do you will most likely get raped after all your disapointing runs.

Um... I'm in Queens, and neither my friend nor my girlfriend has been able to get their hands on one. I waited on line on launch day, and they all sold out that morning.

I'd love to have some phone numbers for these places up to their elbows in Wiis.

Deku

Banned
I know Nintendo has issued stores those empty production Wii boxes to display and my local stores have them on display.

This may confuse some people into thinking there are actually retail Wiis instock? I'm not even sure why Nintendo would do that or why retailers would display them. They certainly aren't doing it with PS3s, except for the local EB.

ethelred said:
Well, to be fair, there was also a fairly surprising number of people making the somewhat counterintuitive "NINTENDO IS DOOMED!" claim.
Yeah, I wonder if it's too early to pull out the "OMG THIS WILL SELL 0 UNITS" quotes from the TGS '05 thread. I'm thinking the longer we wait, the more hilarious the hilarity.

TheProfessor said:
I'm in NYC and I can say you are full of it. If any store had 50 units, you must have called right when the delivery came.

Sorry for the consecutive posts. I'm usually one to be careful of such things.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i love her

what's her name i want to stalk her

is she french or somethin? who knew french chicks were hot

Top Bottom