• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: Nintendo's NX platform will use an Android OS

Imgine if Nintey put Virtual Console on Android. Would their official emulators make the unofficial ones illegal on Google's store?

I don't think Nintendo's OS will end up on the Play Store, but perhaps features from it will end up there like the VC. If it does I could see Nintendo trying to get Google to ban any emulator that might interfere with their VC service. They could try to sell smart device users an official Nintendo controller to go along with this service to get even more money.

I think I read earlier this year that Nintendo is trying, or already has patented emulators on PC's and smart devices.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=940813

I would hate to see Nintendo try to strong arm Google into getting these emulators off the Play Store, but if it does happen I guess we could always side load them, but that would be a shame, because people are making money off of these on the Play Store, which I think is okay for all their hard work.

Absolutely not...

Borderline NO BUY if true.

Death sentence...

Unless somehow magically Nintendo bypasses the OS to boot the games like it does already... ...

I'm really not feeling this...

If it's true, I'm hoping it's some custom, specially made for Nintendo version of Android that maintains the usual level of scope, and polish of a typical flagship Nintendo game, and isn't weighed down by the usual trappings of most mobile-games and android platfroms like Ouya.

Absolutely not...

Death sentence...

Unless somehow magically Nintendo bypasses the OS to boot the games like it does already... ...

There will be nothing stopping them from doing this.

I don't really understand why people are surprised. Realistically it was Linux or BSD, and Linux (android) has way better ARM and graphics stack support. Maintaining their whole OS stack from top to bottom was a wasteful expense.

The real question will be how much they customize.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Absolutely not...

Death sentence...

Quite an overreaction.

I am waiting for something official (or E3) before I make any judgment.

Maggots

Banned
Quite an overreaction.

I am waiting for something official (or E3) before I make any judgment.

It was definately kneejerk for sure I'll admit.

a dedicated console that has its OS based on android bones and decent hardare could be a great thing if done right...
some great reasons Android COULD make sense:
Highly customizable for nintendo
adding pieces to the OS wouldnt be a chore
(voice chat)
(messaging)
suspend games
suspend OS
run processes in the Back Ground
I bet theres a fantasting foundation for integrating ID's and app stores and such (eShop)
Nintendo will as always have tight control over what they do and do not allow on their systems... and I can guarantee that the only way to get content will be through their store
meaning not just any old android developer can put trash on the store
As a "barebones" option for an OS on a console it could be a nice foundation. FOR AN OS... but as a platform I would disagree...
so... hopefully if this is true... they take the time to really tailor it to their needs... and refine it... and have hardware that still supports your traditional ways of making games.
ok I think thats the end of my rant...
BUT! ... To just throw android on it and call it good would be catostrophic...
ok now I'm done

Pokemaniac

When I first saw this earlier this morning, it didn't seem like a very good idea, but after having some time to think about it, I actually think this might be a really good idea. Using an established OS as a base will let them focus on more important things than getting basic features up and running. This also seems to fall in line with their vision for their next gen software ecosystem.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Personally, I think it would be a good move. In order to get 3rd parties back they need a more standard architecture, so that means either going PC based or mobile based. An architecture with a huge install base. Personally, as a PC gamer, I would rather have them go PC based more like the Xbox and PS, but going Android based should help them out quite a lot.

As long as the hardware is really powerful enough to make it truly a next gen system. If all they are making is a glorified immobile phone then they are in for a world of hurt.

koutoru

I'll have to stick with the wait and see approach for this one. Even if they use an android based OS, there is still plenty of room to customize it to fit their needs.
In any case, I doubt they would just drop stock android for NX's OS and call it a day.

Diffense

I think it's worth mentioning that an operating system based on android doesn't mean that it will be exactly the same as android for phones. Consider that android has Linux at its core and the user experience and interface is nothing like Ubuntu. Nintendo's OS wouldn't be vanilla android but tweaked for their particular application. It makes sense to start with android rather than generic Linux because android was built with power constrained portable devices as the primary targets. Nintendo portables fall into that category. Furthermore, Nintendo's partner Dena probably has experience with android.

Also, it is quite possible to write android software primarily in C or C++ with a very minimal Java thunk to launch the native code. Even if some games are written in Java users probably wouldn't care. I think a fair number of Unity games are written, at least partially, in C#. The ideas behind the .NET framework and the Java runtime are very similar and I've seen others mention that google's implementation is now quite efficient.

In the end, if Nintendo's next OS is based on android that'll be a technical detail that should escape the notice of most users. Unless most people realized on first boot that Dreamcast was running Windows and DirectX. In that case, I stand corrected!

Steel

Banned
I feel like they're doing this so they can get mobile ports, which seems like a good business move. But Android as an OS isn't that great....

At the same time Nintendo makes worse OS's so.... Eh.

mitchlol

No one is actually expecting the NX to be a powerhouse are they... It's going to be at best a PS4 but by the time it launches it will be underpowered, so running Android is fine, maybe they will bridge the handheld/console cross play setup better than Sony tried to do with the Vita.

I'd buy a Android powered handheld that plays Nintendo games, lord knows it would be better than the sort of OS they make on their own.

"Hardware launches" can encompass many things, including special editions and new bundles, so it doesn't mean it applies to the next round of new hardware.

And you can't compare multiple SKUs of the same base hardware to 2 different form factors for 2 different types of consumer.

Leaving out the fact that it doesn't make much sense to have games playable on multiple hardware types when both of them aren't even released, let's look at a scenario:

E3 2017 comes around, they announce a new home console.

"Look at these awesome games! And by the way, as we have already mentioned multiple times to investors, these games will be playable on our next handheld, too. Too bad it's not getting released for another year. Enjoy the wait, chumps!"

Those consumers who are highly likely to only buy handhelds (e.g. most of the consumers of games in Japan) have to wait a whole year to buy those games, by such time there will be ZERO buzz and a reduced desire for them and thus a reduced amount of software sales, for no other reason than to arbitrarily separate the launch of the hardware they want to buy that can play it.

Assuming they do this at the start of every new hardware cycle, one segment of the potential user base is left not buying content and becomes unlikely to buy that content when they have the opportunity to do so.

So how is reducing the amount of potential sales for their software within a certain time period beneficial, when we've already established that's where all the money is made?

There are plenty of non-arbitrary reasons to stagger the launches, not the least of which is that production lines are likely to be limited, especially if they end up going w/ 14nm/16nm chips (given the time frame, they probably will). And notice my example was not a year of separation. Release the console in November and the handheld in Spring of the next year. Then the buzz will be, "Hey, I can play my console games on a handheld!" Rather than, "This console is launching w/ a bunch of handheld games." Granted, both ideas are cool, but the former is just more impressive on the surface.

Iwata recently spoke about the differences in play environment in Japan vs the U.S. Clearly, Japan is portable territory. And clearly, the U.S. is console land (at least these days). Nintendo may even choose to release the portable in Japan in November 2016 while releasing the console in NA during that time and saving the portable until Spring. Europe could go either way and I honestly have no friggin clue about Australia.

We'll see how it plays out. I just find it highly unlikely that they will launch 2 systems simultaneously in the same region. And again, look to Apple and how they've staggered the various iPhone and iPad launches.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
That was the idea behind this device,

sonyeric-xperia_play-veriz-game-lg.jpg

If Sony, with a dedicated phone division, can't make something like that work, what makes you think Nintendo can?

Sony and portable game doesn't go well at all :p

Terrell

There are plenty of non-arbitrary reasons to stagger the launches, not the least of which is that production lines are likely to be limited, especially if they end up going w/ 14nm/16nm chips (given the time frame, they probably will). And notice my example was not a year of separation. Release the console in November and the handheld in Spring of the next year. Then the buzz will be, "Hey, I can play my console games on a handheld!" Rather than, "This console is launching w/ a bunch of handheld games." Granted, both ideas are cool, but the former is just more impressive on the surface.

Iwata recently spoke about the differences in play environment in Japan vs the U.S. Clearly, Japan is portable territory. And clearly, the U.S. is console land (at least these days). Nintendo may even choose to release the portable in Japan in November 2016 while releasing the console in NA during that time and saving the portable until Spring. Europe could go either way and I honestly have no friggin clue about Australia.

We'll see how it plays out. I just find it highly unlikely that they will launch 2 systems simultaneously in the same region. And again, look to Apple and how they've staggered the various iPhone and iPad launches.

So I'd like to get this straight in my head:

People will buy both pieces of hardware if released together but have no money for games, but somehow will be able to buy both and software in 3-4 months after the heaviest shopping season of the year, when most people still haven't paid off their credit cards?

Somehow, staggering the launch by 3-4 months will change the narrative of how the games are perceived? Instead of the likely scenario that "they'll be playable on the handheld = graphically inferior" will persist regardless of timing? (we've already seen this argument come up multiple times in other threads regarding this, let's not pretend it won't happen)

3-4 months is apparently enough time to open up production for a whole other set of hardware, but not immediately? And more importantly, does staggering production in that way make it cheaper to do if there's an option where they don't have to?

We're comparing this to iPhone/iPad, devices that sell at least quadruple the number of any console on the market, are separated to bolster earnings reports across each both ends of the sales year and because no company could handle a supply chain like that? Apple is on a whole different level than Nintendo or even Sony as a whole, so what applies to them does not automatically apply to the consumer electronics market as a whole.

Schnozberry

What kind of joke post is this?

It's not a joke. Most people aren't assholes, unless you spend most days hanging around lawyers and politicians. Compared to the entire user base, the amount of people who have the knowledge and desire to crack and exploit gaming consoles is rather small.

If this is true, maybe I can play licensed Nintendo games on my shield portable.

Or maybe you don't.

Seriously guys, what makes you think that, if this turns out to be true, this Android-based OS would be as holey and unsecure as other Android OSs?

Nintendo is and always has been a very strong fighter against piracy and all that comes with it.
It took AGES (especially compared to the DS and Wii) to come up with a piracy solution for 3DS and the Wii U itself isn't even hacked yet.

My guess is that Nintendo would put in strong safety measures so that piracy will not be a concern, at least for a long time in the NX's life.

Android is not simply an OS for smart devices. It's an OS, period. If there was an available branch for it you could use it as a regular OS like Windows, OS X or Linux.
How capable it is depends on the hardware it's running on.

What if the NX would run on Windows 10 with Direct X 12? Would that make it automatically more capable than the Wii U? What if it ran on the same hardware as the Wii U? Think about that.

About Google "wiretapping" the OS: There are Android branches that have everything that connects and/or sends data to Google removed and/or replaced. Nintendo would without a doubt do the same. Remember that new account system they are developing with DeNa? That's most likely what they'd use instead. So as long as you don't opt in to anything Google-related you will definitely not send any data to Google, knowingly or unknowingly.

You all just jump to conclusions because you have no fricking clue what Nintendo is actually doing with the OS or if they are even using it.
Truth be told, neither do I but you don't see me running around spewing my conclusion jumping to the people as if it were fact, being angry at it myself and blabbering all-around nonsense just because I couldn't think about the fact for 5 minutes.

So if you please would just think about what it could actually be instead of thinking "Herpderp, it uses Android, so it must be an underpowered device because Android is what smartphones use" and "Herpderp, this will get pirated so hard because smartphones are pirated so hard" then I would greatly appreciate it, because it makes this thread look a good bit smarter than what it has been for the last 10/20 pages.

linkboy

Sony and portable game doesn't go well at all :p

That's open to interpretation, the PSP did pretty well for itself. The Vita is just stuck between two msrkets, one of which is cannibalizing the other, especially in Japan.

The Xperia Play was designed to bridge those two markets and it succeeded at neither.

Sony knows how to make phones and they know how to make gaming machines. Nintendo knows how to make gaming machines, but has no clue about phones and they would get smashed around by Sony, LG, Samsung, the many other android phone manufacturers and Apple if they even tried to go in that direction.

Schnozberry

I don't even think that's it. If they're able to release something in the Android ecosystem and have that mobile mass market appeal, pirated versions of their games are literally a drop in the bucket to the mainstream consumer. This has been the case for them with Wii and DS, as piracy, while public and acknowledged, didn't even come close to the sales many of their titles ended up getting.

All platforms will get circumvented, that's a fact of life with techology. The best thing that can happen is Nintendo merely puts out enough software for the mass market to support. The least informed consumers are the ones who have a psychological gap to face when it comes to piracy; it's usually the very poor/heavily marked-up costs for countries or the really technologically savvy that enter such domains.

Yeah, we're on the same page. I don't think Nintendo is in a position where taking on piracy is their first priority. They have much bigger fish to fry. Going region free and taking a more consumer friendly approach to DRM is the future. Best effort on piracy is all that is required, because it seems that some level of DRM circumvention is just the cost of doing business. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

mitchlol

Wii U itself isn't even hacked yet.

Yeah because no one purchased it.... I bet a lot of people are feeling pretty burned by the Wii U, and will not be ready to lay-out on a brand new Nintendo console. At least not until they can see a plethora of games already released.

Nintendo games on an android device, yes please at least we can finally get something of decent build quality...

Yeah because no one purchased it.... I bet a lot of people are feeling pretty burned by the Wii U, and will not be ready to lay-out on a brand new Nintendo console. At least not until they can see a plethora of games already released.

Nintendo games on an android device, yes please at least we can finally get something of decent build quality...
Nintendo games on an android device? Have you not read any of what this thread was actually about?

Pokemaniac

Android is an OS. It has little to nothing to do with how Nintendo's next hardware will be.

atbigelow

Please read the thread.

LewieP

Android is an OS. It has little to nothing to do with how Nintendo's next hardware will be.

It does have some bearing. If they are not including Google's services (which I would expect to be the case), then my understanding is that they will be unable to buy components from members of the Open Handset Alliance, which rules out Intel, Qualcomm, Nvidia, Samsung and others.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

I really don't think you have any idea what you are talking about.

linkboy

It does have some bearing. If they are not including Google's services (which I would expect to be the case), then my understanding is that they will be unable to buy components from members of the Open Handset Alliance, which rules out Intel, Qualcomm, Nvidia, Samsung and others.

The fire phone has a Qualcomm 800, so Nintendo could got with Qualcomm or Intel if they'd like.

However, its probably going to be AMD.

Can somebody explain to me in layman's terms what kind of future this points to? Is the idea that we're looking at a portable console that can stream to something connected to a tv?

Can somebody explain to me in layman's terms what kind of future this points to? Is the idea that we're looking at a portable console that can stream to something connected to a tv?

We don't know for sure.
It could lead to either a handheld or a regular home console, maybe even both.
All we can know for sure is that, if Nintendo is using an Android based OS, then...Nintendo is using an Android based OS.
That's all we know and can know.

LewieP

The fire phone has a Qualcomm 800, so Nintendo could got with Qualcomm or Intel if they'd like.

However, its probably going to be AMD.

Hmm. I'm not actually sure how it is enforced, or whether certain companies can get exceptions.

I agree it's far more likely to be AMD.

LewieP

Nintendo are still making a separate portable and home console. They have said as much, and it's pretty obvious that some kind of hybrid home console/portable console would be massively compromised at both tasks.

They are talking about software being compatible with both their handheld and their home console, they are not talking about abandoning either form of hardware.

I have no idea why so many people are unable to either read the things Nintendo have said on the matter, or use rudimentary logic to think about the situation.

Pokemaniac

I was more referring to things like design and build quality of the device, since that was what the poster I responded to was talking about.

Also, from that list, Intel generally doesn't seem willing to work with console manufacturers (at least on terms the console makers will agree to) and Nvidia kinda already burned their bridges to Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony to varying degrees.

Besides, Nintendo is most likely to go with AMD, anyway.

stolin

Android is a terrible OS for native games. On the default Android fork you do not get control over the cores and the cost of threading is a huge startup time. There's still a minimal Java VM even when using the NDK.

Android multi-core development

Multi-core Android

Is it possible to implement efficiently a parallel mathematic computation in a 4 core Android device?

Multi-threading Android Apps for Multi-core Processors

If you root an Android device, you can change the performance governors or some get & set affinity() or let the OS try with AsyncTask() but that's not the same as direct hardware access for multi-core parallel programming. Already on the Wii U and 3DS there's a better multi-core programming model. Android is really meant to be a phone OS with multiple various applications running.

At best hopefully this is a mis-translation and the meant the Linux kernel, and even better FreeBSD like PS4 or the ES OS. It could be "Android-like" in that you can compile once and run on multiple hardware devices which would be great for NX home & away combo.

Edit: I just really hope they adopt Clang LLVM for a toolchain and a proper debugger. Android debugging is terrible, nVidia's Nsight debug tool on top of ADB is amateur hour.

Truespeed

My point was Android being open source, means that it's obviously well documented and has a huge community who develop and are familiar with it, thus making it more of a risk.

I see, security through obscurity. Fortunately, that's not how it works as the more eyes you have on an open source OS the more secure it actually is. Android is actually a very secure OS and I believe there are actually fewer CVE's for Android then there are for iOS.

Diffense

Android is a terrible OS for native games. On the default Android fork you do not get control over the cores and the cost of threading is a huge startup time. There's still a minimal Java VM even when using the NDK.

Multi-core Android

Is it possible to implement efficiently a parallel mathematic computation in a 4 core Android device?

If you root an Android device, you can change the performance governors or some get & set affinity() or let the OS try with AsyncTask() but that's not the same as direct hardware access for multi-core parallel programming. Already on the Wii U and 3DS there's a better multi-core programming model. Android is really meant to be a phone OS with multiple various applications running.

At best hopefully this is a mis-translation and the meant the Linux kernel, and even better FreeBSD like PS4 or the ES OS. It could be "Android-like" in that you can compile once and run on multiple hardware devices which would be great for NX home & away combo.

I don't think the existence of a minimal Java VM is a big deal when current console OSes reserve resources (up to a processor core and 1GB of memory) for OS operation.

"On the default android"..
"If you root the device..."

Nintendo isn't being given a Samsung phone to transform into a portable game system (nor are they banned from modifying the OS). They're designing the hardware and creating the system software for it (presumably with android as a base). If one can make minor tweaks simply by rooting the phone imagine what can be done if the whole system is being built from scratch.

Basically what I'm saying is that there are not nearly enough details to judge. Nintendo's OS will likely be optimized for a particular architecture and application (games) unlike vanilla android which has to run on anything.

beril

Multi-core Android

Yes, Android development is a mess. I really hope the NX development environment shares nothing with that.

stolin

I don't think the existence of a minimal Java VM is a big deal when current console OSes reserve resources (up to a processor core and 1GB of memory) for OS operation.

"On the default android"..
"If you root the device..."

Calling out to a VM for hardware services is terrible and full of latency, especially in audio. Reserved Core's & Memory or any resources is fine in a fixed system as long as you have control when to call the tick. If you can fit it into your scheduler or a Vblank then it's completely transparent.

Those were examples of ways needing to work around the Android OS to kinda access hardware helpers.

Yes, Android development is a mess. I really hope the NX development environment shares nothing with that.

Yup, stay away from the entire toolchain & debugging stack for sure.

Truespeed

It was definately kneejerk for sure I'll admit.

a dedicated console that has its OS based on android bones and decent hardare could be a great thing if done right...
some great reasons Android COULD make sense:
Highly customizable for nintendo
adding pieces to the OS wouldnt be a chore
(voice chat)
(messaging)
suspend games
suspend OS
run processes in the Back Ground
I bet theres a fantasting foundation for integrating ID's and app stores and such (eShop)
Nintendo will as always have tight control over what they do and do not allow on their systems... and I can guarantee that the only way to get content will be through their store
meaning not just any old android developer can put trash on the store
As a "barebones" option for an OS on a console it could be a nice foundation. FOR AN OS... but as a platform I would disagree...
ok now I'm done

Android isn't just a mobile OS. It's a mobile, TV, car, wearable, etc OS. Pretty malleable I'd say. The Nvidia Shield TV seems to be getting pretty good reviews for its capabilities and does things the current gen consoles can't even do.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9289/the-nvidia-shield-android-tv-review

Pokemaniac

Calling out to a VM for hardware services is terrible and full of latency, especially in audio. Reserved Core's & Memory or any resources is fine in a fixed system as long as you have control when to call the tick. If you can fit it into your scheduler or a Vblank then it's completely transparent.

Those were examples of ways needing to work around the Android OS to access hardware.

Yup, stay away from the entire toolchain & debugging stack for sure.

Android doesn't use a VM anymore. All the bytecode gets compiled to native machine code at install time.

stolin

Android doesn't use a VM anymore. All the bytecode gets compiled to native machine code at install time.

The Android RunTime ART was still very flaky last I used it in ~4.4. If it works now great, but there were still external services that called out to Dalvik that were a pain to debug.

atbigelow

As stated plenty of times, Android no longer uses the Dalvik or any other VM. A lot of the issues being brought up are nonexistent now.

EDIT for above: AFAIK there isn't anything attached to Dalvik anymore. It literally no longer exists in Android 5.0+ releases. It works quite awesomely now compared to the KitKat days.

Azure J

Can someone explain to me why I can't seem to break into the high places in this game? I'm painting everything I see and can, but I never seem to get this wild point tallies I see others with. I'll get like 800s/900s but people get 1000+

Top Bottom