• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Nikola: How to Parlay An Ocean of Lies Into a Partnership With the Largest Auto OEM in America"

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Nikola has radiated Theranos vibes for some time now, but a financial research firm just dropped this bomb of a paper.

Background: Nikola is a public corporation building EVs and hydrogen fuel cell vehicles. Nikola as in Nikola Tesla. They have no released products yet, but they do have a market cap over $10 billion currently. General Motors just announced a strategic partnership with Nikola, where they will take on an 11% stake in Nikola for $2 billion and will manufacture Nikola's truck, the Badger, with GM technology. It's unclear what technology Nikola actually possesses.

Trevor Milton, the founder and chairman, took an early opportunity to cash out $70 million in Nikola stock around the time of the IPO and bought a $32.5 million mansion with the proceeds. Cashing out right around your IPO doesn't tend to inspire confidence in a public corporation's leadership or long term prospects.

"
  • Today, we reveal why we believe Nikola is an intricate fraud built on dozens of lies over the course of its Founder and Executive Chairman Trevor Milton’s career.
  • We have gathered extensive evidence—including recorded phone calls, text messages, private emails and behind-the-scenes photographs—detailing dozens of false statements by Nikola Founder Trevor Milton. We have never seen this level of deception at a public company, especially of this size.
  • Trevor has managed to parlay these false statements made over the course of a decade into a ~$20 billion public company. He has inked partnerships with some of the top auto companies in the world, all desperate to catch up to Tesla and to harness the EV wave.
  • We examine how Nikola got its early start and show how Trevor misled partners into signing agreements by falsely claiming to have extensive proprietary technology.
  • We reveal how, in the face of growing skepticism over the functionality of its truck, Nikola staged a video called “Nikola One in Motion” which showed the semi-truck cruising on a road at a high rate of speed. Our investigation of the site and text messages from a former employee reveal that the video was an elaborate ruse—Nikola had the truck towed to the top of a hill on a remote stretch of road and simply filmed it rolling down the hill.
  • In October 2019, Nikola announced it would revolutionize the battery industry. This was to be done through a pending acquisition, but the deal fell through when Nikola realized (a) the technology was vaporware and (b) the President of the battery company had been indicted months earlier over allegations that he conned NASA by using his expense account to procure numerous prostitutes.
  • Nikola has never walked back claims relating to its battery technology. Instead, Trevor continued to publicly hype the technology even after becoming aware of the above issues. The revolutionary battery technology never existed – now, Nikola plans to use GM’s battery technology instead.
  • A spokesman for Volvo spin-off Powercell AB, a hydrogen fuel cell technology company that formerly partnered with Nikola, called Nikola’s battery and hydrogen fuel cell claims “hot air”.
  • In addition to now using GM’s battery technology, Nikola seeks to use the automaker’s production and fuel cell capabilities. Nikola seems to be bringing nothing to the partnership but concept designs, their brand name and up to $700 million they will be paying GM for costs related to production.
  • Inexpensive hydrogen is fundamental to the success of Nikola’s business model. Trevor has claimed in a presentation to hundreds of people and in multiple interviews to have succeeded at cutting the cost of hydrogen by ~81% compared to peers and to already be producing hydrogen. Nikola has not produced hydrogen at this price or at any price as he later admitted when pressed by media.
  • Trevor has appointed his brother, Travis, as “Director of Hydrogen Production/Infrastructure” to oversee this critical part of the business. Travis’s prior experience looks to have largely consisted of pouring concrete driveways and doing subcontractor work on home renovations in Hawaii.
  • Claims of owning energy producing assets is not new for Nikola. Trevor claimed that Nikola’s headquarters has 3.5 megawatts of solar panels on its roof producing energy. Aerial photos of the roof and later media reports show that the supposed panels don’t exist.
  • At one point Nikola claimed to own its own natural gas wells. There is no evidence in company filings to support this. The claims were eventually quietly removed from Nikola’s website.
  • Trevor claims Nikola designs all key components in house, but they appear to simply be buying or licensing them from third-parties. One example: we found that Nikola actually buys inverters from a company called Cascadia. In a video showing off its “in-house” inverters, Nikola concealed the Cascadia label with a piece of masking tape.
  • In a July 2020 podcast, Trevor said of Nikola’s “Tre” truck: “We have five of them coming off the assembly line right now in Ulm Germany.” A spokesperson for Bosch, the manufacturing partner building the trucks, confirmed this month that they haven’t made any trucks yet.
  • The company’s Nikola One “reveal” was a total farce. We corroborate Bloomberg’s earlier work debunking Trevor’s claims regarding its semi-truck that “this thing fully functions and works…this is a real truck” and provide new evidence.
  • We present behind-the-scenes photos showing that Nikola had an electricity cable snaked up from underneath the stage into the truck in order to falsely claim the Nikola One’s electrical systems fully functioned.
  • We learned through emails and interviews with former partners that Trevor had an artist stencil “H2” and “Zero Emission Hydrogen Electric” on the side of the Nikola One despite it having no hydrogen capabilities whatsoever; it was built with natural gas components.
  • We also present evidence that subsequent “reveals” were fictitious. In 2019, Nikola revealed a “next generation” version of its off-road vehicle. We learned that it was scrapped within weeks of the unveiling due to manufacturing challenges. The redesign work was then quietly outsourced.
  • Nikola’s much-touted multi-billion dollar order book is filled with fluff. U.S. Xpress reportedly accounts for a third of its reservations, representing ~$3.5 billion in orders. U.S. Xpress had only $1.3 million in cash on hand last quarter.
  • Nikola’s key partners and backers have been cashing out aggressively. Worthington, Bosch and ValueAct have all sold shares. Worthington sold $237 million shares over a 2-day span in July and another $250 million in August. We think they know exactly what type of company Nikola is, and we expect that as Nikola’s GM “partnership” boosts the stock price, key holders will continue to exit.
  • We think Trevor Milton, through dozens of outright lies, was able to form partnerships with some of the largest legacy auto companies in the world in their desperation to catch up to Tesla’s EV leadership status.
  • Trevor has ensured he is not going down with the ship. He cashed out $70 million around the IPO and amended his share lock-up from 1-year to 180 days. If he is fired, his equity awards immediately vest and he is entitled to collect $20 million over two years. Milton has laid the groundwork to extract hundreds of millions from Nikola years before ever delivering on his promises.
  • Every now and then a story comes around that exposes how little the “experts” really know. Theranos inked partnerships with Walgreens, Safeway, and Cleveland Clinic and staffed its board with luminaries. We think Nikola’s partners did not do their homework.
"

Massive amount of receipts at the link above. Some highlights:

Trevor's entrepreneurial background:

TyRsk9M.png

Trevor's little brother is the head of their hydrogen production, a highly technical and important aspect of Nikola's business, despite working as a driveway paving contractor immediately prior to taking the position:

6XQzqFP.png

lnqDqdR.png

Fascinating stuff.

I feel so bad for anyone who bought into this. Seriously get out while you still can.

I don't. What the hell are people doing buying stocks for companies that don't produce a profit. If you don't know anything about the company or it's financials you have no idea how to value the stock. People who put money into this are buying lottery tickets, not investing.

How many millions did NKLA lose in 2019? What made anyone think they could make money? If you didn't know they were losing tens of millions then you have no business buying the stock.

I swear, the amount of people that check net income or earnings per share or price to earnings is almost nothing. It's like everyone who ever saw a movie about stocks decided they were experts and started throwing money at companies every time they read a news article instead of actually learning something about stock valuation.

If anyone lost money on this please quote me and explain what was going through your head.

DESTROYA

I don't. What the hell are people doing buying stocks for companies that don't produce a profit. If you don't know anything about the company or it's financials you have no idea how to value the stock. People who put money into this are buying lottery tickets, not investing.

How many millions did NKLA lose in 2019? What made anyone think they could make money? If you didn't know they were losing tens of millions then you have no business buying the stock.

I swear, the amount of people that check net income or earnings per share or price to earnings is almost nothing. It's like everyone who ever saw a movie about stocks decided they were experts and started throwing money at companies every time they read a news article instead of actually learning something about stock valuation.

If anyone lost money on this please quote me and explain what was going through your head.
Exactly, buying into someone else's vision is good and all but at least have something tangible buy into.

iconmaster

Banned
Our investigation of the site and text messages from a former employee reveal that the video was an elaborate ruse—Nikola had the truck towed to the top of a hill on a remote stretch of road and simply filmed it rolling down the hill.

Well that would seem to reduce emissions...

100 years on and this Serbian Scientist is still shaping the way we live.

It's an injustice to the human race that this mans face isn't plastered everywhere. Instead we have the likes of some fat slag wobbling her tits.

OT : Big respect to the hustle. Fair play for doing this and i look forward to the upcoming movie.

Ive bought into Tesla and I’ve bout a handful of shares of NIO just for the hell of it. Nikola always seemed like an odd one to me because there was no product. The talk was great and what their plans seemingly were would’ve been tremendous but again, there was no product. I’m not shocked by this revelation.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I remember seeing news about their stock and immediately thought it sounded like a scam just based on the name of the company.

Stouffers

Banned
100 years on and this Serbian Scientist is still shaping the way we live.

It's an injustice to the human race that this mans face isn't plastered everywhere. Instead we have the likes of some fat slag wobbling her tits.

OT : Big respect to the hustle. Fair play for doing this and i look forward to the upcoming movie.
Fat slag? What the hell are you talking about? When I think “Serbia” I think of that meteor that flattened miles of trees in the early 1900s.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

So many people treat the stock market as gambling rather than long-term investing. They're all hoping they'll find that unicorn that will be the next Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, etc.

You'd think with 20 billion dollars you could get a working prototype going.

With 20 billion dollars in capital to mismanage and stock you got for free your rich. The only problem is going to prison for securities fraud. They may be able to get away with it. What I don't understand is once you have a few million why don't you take a "business meeting" on a yacht to a country that doesn't extradite with a fortune in gold or crypto.

Fraud is so much easier than making a company that actually produces some revolutionary new product. For every genuine revolutionary new thinker that figures out something no one else knows there are probably a hundred fraudsters getting rich pretending.

MadAnon

Named Nikola (totally not to rip off Tesla). Sounds like one of those Chinese mobile game ripoffs of popular titles.

A publicly traded company worth over $10B with no revenue, no working products after several years. Not providing any insight/proof of their tech actually working, just wild claims. Where are those amazing batteries and the tech supposeddly built by them? Not showing what's inside those trucks. Probably because it's stiched together from commercially available parts. Now they make a deal to use GM tech?

Totally not a scam. Move along.

Last edited:

frostyxc

Methinks GM (and some other high rollers) are laundering vast quantities (the fattest of stacks) of money. They should have named the company T&T Hydrogen Blasters.

T.v

I have to respect the (obvious) hustle. If these huge companies are somehow dumb enough to buy into this I have no sympathy for them losing their money. The desperation over at GM to compete with Tesla must be real.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Never bought into them 😂 was going to do it for an in and out earlier on when they were in SPAC stage. Could have def made a lot of money but glad I didn't get involved. Never got good vibes off them.

Got some calls with WKHS, made like 25k off NIO in less than two weeks a few months back, loving finally getting involved in stock market, up 75% these last 3 months so far.

Last edited:
My theory is starting an electric car company with a concept vehicle is essentially the new kickstarter scam.
Super easy to make a prototype unlike a normal car, It's a electric skateboard you just put whatever cabin on top. Get tons of funding, never produce. Nikola seems like the latest.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Trevor has denied all of the report (“99%”) and claimed that he would refute it all point by point shortly, but Nikola then released a one-page statement with no exculpatory evidence.

Boomers have been alerted: Jim Cramer just called Trevor the new Elizabeth Holmes—and showed a clip of Trevor paraphrasing Elizabeth’s change the world quote.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
She’s currently on trial. The judge just ordered her to get a full psych evaluation this past Friday.
I watched the doc. She reminded me of so many people I met at uni who thought they were special snowflakes, except she somehow convinced major industry players that was the case.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The DoJ and SEC have both opened inquiries into Nikola in response to the Hindenburg Report.

"
The US Department of Justice has made inquiries regarding accusations from a short-seller this week that electric-truck startup Nikola engaged in "intricate fraud," the Financial Times reported Tuesday.

The report follows the Securities and Exchange Commission's reported examination of the allegations made by Hindenburg research last week that have largely wiped out market gains by Nikola following a $2 billion General Motors deal announcement.

The DOJ did not respond to a request for comment from Business Insider.

According to the FT, the US Attorney's office for the South District of New York has made phone calls about the accusations, most of which Nikola has outright rejected. However, the company did admit to some of the things alleged by Hindenburg, including rolling a non-operational prototype truck down a hill in order to film a promotional video, but took issue with characterizations that it had been deceptive.

The paper also confirmed Bloomberg's reporting that the SEC was involved, something Nikola has said it supports. Company representatives did not immediately respond to a request for comment about the DOJ's potential involvement.

In the days since Hindenburg published its report, Nikola has retained high-profile legal and crisis communications services from the likes of Kirkland & Ellis and Joele Frank.

"The report from Hindenburg, an activist short-seller financially motivated to manipulate the market and profit from a manufactured decline in Nikola's stock price, contains a number of false and misleading statements regarding the Company's operations and multi-year, groundbreaking R&D efforts," Nikola said Monday in its rebuttal.

Shares of Nikola fell about 8% in trading Tuesday, but were little changed after the Financial Times' report.
"

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Oh boy.

"The entire infotainment system is a HTML 5 super computer," Milton said. "That's the standard language for computer programmers around the world, so using it let's us build our own chips. And HTML 5 is very secure. Every component is linked on the data network, all speaking the same language. It's not a bunch of separate systems that somehow still manage to communicate."

🧐

Oh boy.

"The entire infotainment system is a HTML 5 super computer," Milton said. "That's the standard language for computer programmers around the world, so using it let's us build our own chips. And HTML 5 is very secure. Every component is linked on the data network, all speaking the same language. It's not a bunch of separate systems that somehow still manage to communicate."

🧐

Wow! I bet the CSS and RSS are both perfectly aligned with the TCP/IP to give it maximum <DIV>! Bodacious!

frostyxc

Oh boy.

🧐
Well, I hope the North Korean and Russian hackers treat Elon's truck fleet well.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Nikola Founder Trevor Milton Resigns Amid Fraud Allegations. The Stock Is Tumbling.

Nikola stock tumbled 25% in premarket trading on Monday, after the electric-truck maker said its founder Trevor Milton has voluntarily resigned as executive chairman and as a board member.

The shock resignation comes after allegations from short seller Hindenburg Research, which launched an attack on Nikola earlier this month, claiming the company had misled investors.

In a statement early on Monday, Milton said: “Nikola is truly in my blood and always will be, and the focus should be on the Company and its world-changing mission, not me.”

Stephen Girsky, former vice chairman of General Motors, has been appointed chairman with immediate effect, Nikola said.

News of Milton’s departure surfaced on trade publication FreightWaves late on Sunday. The report said Milton, who is a major shareholder in the company, decided to step down to shield the company and his investments.

Hindenburg Research had called into question the company’s battery technology and claimed Nikola was an “intricate fraud built on dozens of lies” over the course of Milton’s career, causing the stock to fall sharply on Sept. 10 and 11. Nikola has refuted those claims, though to the allegations it filmed a truck rolling down a hill, the company said it never stated it was driving under its own propulsion.

Nikola took another hit after a Sept. 14 report from Bloomberg News that the Securities and Exchange Commission was looking into the short seller claims. Nikola responded by saying it had “proactively contacted and briefed” the SEC about Hindenburg’s report, claiming it was designed to manipulate the market to benefit short sellers.

The Wall Street Journal reported on Sept. 15 that the Justice Department had joined U.S. securities regulators in that probe. Representatives of the SEC and Manhattan U.S. attorney’s office and Nikola declined to comment to the WSJ.

Nikola investors have been on a roller-coaster ride in September, which now looks set to continue. Shares surged more than 40% on Sept. 8 after the group announced a billion-dollar deal with General Motors. Nikola shares have lost 16% in September so far, and 49% in the quarter to date, but are up 231% year-to-date.

Looking ahead. Saxo Bank’s head of FX strategy John J. Hardy said: “This will come as a shock to the big crowd of believers in the company and its founder. We expect heavy selling when the U.S. equity market opens for trading.”

He added: “This news also puts the GM’s $2bn equity stake in Nikola at risk which recently according to the firm had been done under very capable due diligence.”

Top Bottom