• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 3 |OT| Ninja Dog Revengeance

So far I'm enjoying the game. In the end I'll probably prefer NGS2, but it's honestly fun and scratches the itch for a new NG very well.

hatersgonnahate.jpg

I think I am liking this game more then NGS2 it is hard to say since I havent finished it yet. The overall game is easier, due to regenerating health, but individual encounters are much harder now. Trying to take out 20 soldiers with just 1 health bar gets nuts. The enemies feel way more aggressive now as well. Guys are constantly trying to slide into you and break your guard so that another guy can grab you and wreck your health. You have to keep moving constantly. I love the new flying swallow, it feels like they extended its range which makes it more useful for getting out of trouble. The new bow is so good I wish they could patch it back into the older games.

Robot Pants

Completed Hard early this morning. And started to play on MN for a bit.
Well, all of a sudden there is a Karma counter and combo counter as well.
The first level is just a exercise in patience trying to go through wave after wave of the same enemy. The first encounter is cake, (they added dogs to it), then the 2nd encounter is just.....I said it before about Hayashi and his grabs. None of the enemies do any kind of damage to me the entire time, until (heaven forbid I try to do something else besides the izuna drop to break the tedium) I stay on the ground for longer and they just grab me and take away 3/4 of my health. And yes, RIGHT THROUGH MY COMBO. I passed it, but the difficulty is in this game is completely artificial, and I can't see myself sticking with it for the rest of the game just to complete MNM.
And the slowdown is still just atrocious. This game wouldn't be so horrible if they fixed it. Based on the framerate alone, this game deserves a 3. I can't believe none of the reviews mentioned it.

Mini review

I'm about half way through the game.
It's pretty much what I expected:

Positives
- feels more polished and realistic than NG2.
- graphics are pretty amazing
- story is good, I really like the main villain, it makes me take this game seriously to some extent
- not having health potions and weapon upgrades is nice. you are an ultra-powered ninja from the start and this make sense.
- sometimes the on-screen action gets so intense (you can fight 10-20 enemies at once, or at least that's what i feels like), you wonder how it's running so well
- Obliteration is in, and dying ninja's will try to mess you up by committing suicide
- gameplay wise it's the same NG game. I'm playing on normal so it doesn't feel so tactical yet, I've died a few times. Steel on bone I'm still on the fence about. Seems they also made the action flashier.
- QTEs and cinematic moments help break up the action a bit in a good way. Going from arena to arena and just killing dudes continuously can get old.
- I like the bow and slow mo
- I also like the alchemist type enemies

Negatives
- Using Katana only gets old, I'd like to switch to another weapon for a few minutes here and there just to change it up
- A lot of the enemies feel recycled, also not a lot of variety (yet). Seems there weren't too many new ideas for interesting enemy types, or "tougher" enemies you really need a strategy for
- Bosses are interesting, nothing compared to Murai of course. Bosses are generally large and divided into several sections with cinematic events. It's not a bad way to do things. If you really want to fight tough bosses one on one, there is always challenge mode. Point is they could have been better (T-Rex was kinda....meh, not as bad as you'd think)
- removal of UT and essence is a bit upsetting. I probably haven't learned how to maximize my UT in this game yet, though. Also only having 1 ninpo is kind of meh. I miss that wind of blades thing.
- Cutting people down feels awesome and well done, but dismemberment would have made this feel even better. I can see why they didn't include it (onscreen action gets hectic with numerous enemies).
- checkpoints are a little too close together for my tastes, some checkpoints are in boss fights so it really makes things easy.
- there is also substantial lag in the first stage, but gets better after

That's all I can think of. It's a 8.5-9/10 game for me. Had they included the weapons from day 1, some dismemberment, and crazier 1 on 1 boss fights, it would easily push this game over 9.

If you're a hardcore NG fan, you'll have mixed feelings about this game. Definitely start on hard. If you're one of Itagaki's many fanboy lovers, better to avoid this game. If you like action games, you better not miss out on this one.

Cheers

If it weren't for the completely unresponsive controls, the game would be pretty good. Unfortunately the controls are a pretty big deal. I can't fucking stand getting hit when Ryu just stands there while I'm mashing away at the X button or swinging in front of me while I'm hold the joystick in the opposite direction.

Also, do quick time event prompts go away if you turn off tutorials?

Skilletor

If you're a hardcore NG fan, you'll have mixed feelings about this game. Definitely start on hard. If you're one of Itagaki's many fanboy lovers, better to avoid this game. If you like action games, you better not miss out on this one.

Cheers

I'm not an Itagaki fanboy. I love action games.

Start on hard if you want massive framerate fluctuations, horribly unresponsive controls, and damage sponge enemies who don't take anything to beat other than more hits and no strategy. The game might be better if the controls weren't so horrible because of the tremendously shitty framerate. But who knows?

Avoid this game.

MechaX

.I said it before about Hayashi and his grabs. None of the enemies do any kind of damage to me the entire time, until (heaven forbid I try to do something else besides the izuna drop to break the tedium) I stay on the ground for longer and they just grab me and take away 3/4 of my health. And yes, RIGHT THROUGH MY COMBO. I passed it, but the difficulty is in this game is completely artificial, and I can't see myself sticking with it for the rest of the game just to complete MNM.

This is pretty much the worst thing that Hayashi did on Sigma 2. He puts in less enemies than NG2 vanilla, but it is just absolutely artificial difficulty when someone just grabs you through a combo for 70-100% of your health. Seems like he has learned nothing.

You have to dodge throws and sometimes you can only do a full combo when it's really safe. Dodge, then you can punish the whiff or jump somewhere else or do whatever. You can't just land on the ground and throw out full combo strings in the middle of a group of enemies, you have to bait them into spreading out a little so you can get them away from each other as much as possible.

if you guys are having trouble with throws, then maybe the game isn't so casual after all? trololololol

ezekial45

Banned
I'm on day 3 so far, and I'm actually enjoying myself. I agree mostly all the criticisms, but despite all that I still like it. Maybe i'll change my mind later on, but I don't think it's horrible game by any means. I think the disappointment you guys feel from not being up standards is fueling the hatred a bit. Which is understandable.

Anyway, does anyone else like the Ninja Trials mode? I'm sticking with the single player portion of it for now, since I'm not really much of a fan of the MP mode, and I'm really enjoying it. Weirdly enough, it feels the closest to the previous NG games. The combat feels a little better too.

Played a good chunk last night. Here are my impressions.

- With all the complains about the QTEs, I was speechless when I saw that the freaking game started with one. That's kind of ridiculous.

- At its core, the combat isn't bad. It's actually pretty fun. But as a hardcore fan who slogged through Master Ninja shenanigans in the previous games, it is pretty lackluster. So, compared to that legacy system, it's not up to snuff. But I can totally see how a player with little to no experience with NG would have fun with it.

- Enemy encounters feel like a chore. I'm getting sick of the "roll into an area, fight off 7 waves of enemies."

- Not a fan of the voice acting. Not at all, sir.

- Don't really fully understand the Steel on Bone thing. It feels completely random, and it doesn't always seem all that effective. I can pull off this super brutal attack on an enemy, but it doesn't usually kill him? Weird.

- One weapon/one Ninpo is just stupid. I loved the previous NG games because it let me fight the way I wanted to, with what I wanted to. Just having a sword is limiting and having one Ninpo, complete with an animation sequence that gets old after one use...sigh.

More impressions soon. If I can handle it.

- Don't really fully understand the Steel on Bone thing. It feels completely random, and it doesn't always seem all that effective. I can pull off this super brutal attack on an enemy, but it doesn't usually kill him? Weird.

it puts them in an injured state, so you can hit an attack and OT them right after the qte. It's like if NG2 had some other attack before OT with an animation that took off a limb, then let you OT immediately after. It's pretty redundant...

Teknoman

Rented to see if it was actually that bad.

Sigh...the combat feels too stiff (is it just me, or is the timing a little off for the standard izuna drop combo), and hard impact kill cutscenes should be a reward for fighting well. I'd like the slide move if it was an actual special move and not just something that that replaced his dash from previous games...not sure whats with only one ninpo move when even the first NES game had multiple of sorts.

IJoel

Rented to see if it was actually that bad.

Sigh...the combat feels too stiff (is it just me, or is the timing a little off for the standard izuna drop combo), and hard impact kill cutscenes should be a reward for fighting well. I'd like the slide move if it was an actual special move and not just something that that replaced his dash from previous games...not sure whats with only one ninpo move when even the first NES game had multiple of sorts.

Not just you. They screwed up the responsiveness/timing of the controls.

Teknoman

Not just you. They screwed up the responsiveness/timing of the controls.

That is just really disappointing...especially since its Ninja Gaiden 3, but also since it was an NG that looked to be the same mix action genre styles from the NES trilogy. Also how do you mess up a cybersaurus boss battle? The graphics are nice, and I like the mecha designs...and although i'm not a person who hates QTEs (really had fun with Bayonetta, Vanquish, Castlevania, and God of War) they are just far too frequent against normal enemies here.

ezekial45

Banned
I will say that the 'lock-on' gets pretty irritating. After doing the BoS attack on an enemy, the game will steer you toward another enemy; which is annoying considering the weakened enemy is open for the finisher.

It was in NGS2 (haven't played the original NG2), but it seems to be much stronger in this game.

You would never die in this game if it weren't for those fuckers grabbing you and taking away a quarter of your life. Ridiculously stupid that there is no defense against that shit. Be in the middle of rocking some bitches, then boom, tossed to the ground and stabbed liked a bitch.

Also, killing is my business.

i-Lo

Ninja Gaiden franchise save Sigma (even then somewhat) always felt cheap rather than difficult.

I received the third game today but still haven't unpacked it. I may sell it off it's the same regurgitating nonsense of senseless cheapness. So is the same as NGS2?

Teknoman

Heh wasnt expecting to go to the same
desert
area as
Uncharted 3
. I will say the new female character is more sensibly designed.

So I just beat the
t-Rex boss
. Any one know about how much longer I have? I may bow out if it's a ton longer.

Viewtiful said there are 8 levels at about an hour each. Don't know what level that is cause I'm not there yet, but there you go.

EDIT: fighting one now on level 3, so if that's what you're talking about you may as well pack it in. You're not even half way through the game.

Veelk

Banned
Has anyone determined if there are any platform differences? I just got the game from Gamefly and I'm so used to the 360 that I don't really want to play it otherwise. However, if the 360 version performs worse, I'll bite the bullet and play it on the PS3.

I haven't touched the final game yet, and I won't at $60, but can someone clarify something about the footage I've seen. I've seen footage of NG3 with the airship from Sigma 1 and the first level of Sigma 2, plus lots of enemies taken right from the Sigma games. Is this recycled content in the main game or just some sort of mission mode?

benzy

I haven't touched the final game yet, and I won't at $60, but can someone clarify something about the footage I've seen. I've seen footage of NG3 with the airship from Sigma 1 and the first level of Sigma 2, plus lots of enemies take right from the Sigma games. Is this recycled content in the main game or just some sort of mission mode?

There's a sequence in the story where they put
Ryu in a training facility and that airship and tokyo battle were a part of a virtual mission type of deal.

The story is pretty dumb. NG1's story was much better, even though Team Ninja put more focus on the story this time around by getting the NES senario writer on board.

benzy

I think I'm on the final Regent of the Mask battle, and every battle previously with him was the exact same thing. He doesn't have any new moves, and I think he makes up for half of the boss battles in the game.

On the second fight, he does that grab and breakdance on your body move. Maybe he did it in the first one as well?

TN thought that fight was so cool, they made you do four times! And you fight that helicopter 3 times, with the exact same strategies, QTEs, and animations!

Spoo

I'm on Chapter 3 on Hard mode and I just can't take these fucking grab guys. It's easy until they just randomly grab you and take off 1/2 health. NG2 was much easier for me on Normal than this game is on Hard. I don't know how you guys are getting past the sections with like 2 waves of 3 dogs + gunmen + throwers.

In the event that anyone is interested, my review is finally live. Delayed by the goddamned MP servers not going live til yesterday morning.

Excellent review, not flowing with rage like the emotional reactions of NG fanboys like myself, but understanding the flaws in the game apparent to anyone familiar with the series, and describing them in a clear, concise manner.

pramath

Banned
I've been playing it all day today. Yeah, it's a total step down from the previous two Ninja Gaiden games, but it's not the horrifying crime against humanity that so many people are making it out to be. it's still a good game, you know?
I'd give it a 7. For reference, I'd give the original Ninja Gaiden a 9, and Ninja Gaiden II an 8.

I've been playing it all day today. Yeah, it's a total step down from the previous two Ninja Gaiden games, but it's not the horrifying crime against humanity that so many people are making it out to be. it's still a good game, you know?
I'd give it a 7. For reference, I'd give the original Ninja Gaiden a 9, and Ninja Gaiden II an 8.

I don't know how any one can be forgiving of the shit unresponsive controls. That alone makes this game deserve the low review scores and hopefully terrible sales. Grabby dudes being the only challenge also makes me rage. I would seriously give it a 5 out of 10 absolute tops as is. Jump that to a solid 8 if the controls worked.

pramath

Banned
I don't know how any one can be forgiving of the shit unresponsive controls. That alone makes this game deserve the low review scores and hopefully terrible sales. Grabby dudes being the only challenge also makes me rage. I would seriously give it a 5 out of 10 absolute tops as is. Jump that to a solid 8 if the controls worked.

What system were you playing it on?

pramath

Banned

Huh? Funny.
I've been playing it on 360 all day, but I haven't run into this problem yet.
Did it happen randomly or was it just specific scenes? (I know it wouldn't respond to me hammering Y in the very first QTE, and that got me pissed. Speaking of which, is it just me or are QTEs very forgiving in this game? Doesn't that kind of take away from the point of a QTE?

and i don't know how someone could pick it up and not realize it just doesn't control like NG1 and 2. Adjust a little and it's not a problem.

Huh? Funny.
I've been playing it on 360 all day, but I haven't run into this problem yet.
Did it happen randomly or was it just specific scenes? (I know it wouldn't respond to me hammering Y in the very first QTE, and that got me pissed. Speaking of which, is it just me or are QTEs very forgiving in this game? Doesn't that kind of take away from the point of a QTE?

I'll have to try a different controller when I jump back in. Taking a break right now. I saw at least one other person in this thread saying they were unresponsive also. It's only when I'm in battles. I can hammer away at the X button or dodge and not shit will happen a lot. Outside of battle I can swing away and he'll respond just fine. The game is super forgiving about QTE's. I swear to fuck I've not pushed the button and shit went just fine.

and i don't know how someone could pick it up and not realize it just doesn't control like NG1 and 2. Adjust a little and it's not a problem.

I haven't played the original two since they first came out. I'm not some purist or something. The game flat out ignores my button pushes. That's not "different" that's shit.

Skilletor

Not going to adjust to Ryu not responding to my button presses when I press the button. lol.

I don't know why you think I'm comparing it to NG1 or 2 and not just games in general.

pramath

Banned
I'll have to try a different controller when I jump back in. Taking a break right now. I saw at least one other person in this thread saying they were unresponsive also. It's only when I'm in battles. I can hammer away at the X button or dodge and not shit will happen a lot. Outside of battle I can swing away and he'll respond just fine. The game is super forgiving about QTE's. I swear to fuck I've not pushed the button and shit went just fine.

Yeah, apparently a reviewer had this same problem too (someone posted a link to said review in the Review Thread). I haven't run into anything yet, but it might be because, well, let's face it, the game pretty much plays itself. I mean, keep hammering X, Ryu moves, you might not even notice if he doesn't respond to analog stick movement.

And yeah. Like it gives you four, five, six seconds to respond. That's a fucking lot, and it totally kills the point of QTEs :/

Top Bottom