• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 2016 Fiscal Year Earnings Release: Targeting 10 million Switches this f-year

Very impressive Zelda sales, even WW managed a >100% ratio

Probably early to say but I'd be surprised if Switch didn't reach that forecast

The 10 million number depends a lot on:

- Keeping up momentum
- Getting that many units produced

The second one will probably affect the first one.

e3sucks.gif

During the wiiu era I hoped they went 3rd party, to finally see Nintendo games with good visuals. But now with their hybrid console, 3rd party would actually be a downgrade.

I love the switch so much that I 100% agree. The portability and flexibility mean lot to me. Visuals are well good enough.

Go Nintendo go.

Phoenixus

I still think that if Pokémon is to come to the Switch before jumping to a new Pokémon generation, then it needs to be cross platform with the 3DS, so that'd alleviate things a bit.

I'd be amazed if Stars isn't cross generation. Cater to the 60 million or so 3ds owners that don't want to upgrade yet, and sell to the millions of (by that point) Switch users that want a true Pokemon game on the TV. Win win, wouldn't surprise me if that outsold Sun and Moon in the long run.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Where does the 10 million target come from? I don't see it in the earnings release or the forecast.

Shahadan

10 million seems like a reasonable projection. I would have went with something like that too.

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but didn't we kinda know this already with the makers of the screen saying they had upped their projections and promised to make 10 millions unit this year?
Can't really make switches without screens, although it would now mean they expect to sell every console they can make for a while?

Delio

I still think that if Pokémon is to come to the Switch before jumping to a new Pokémon generation, then it needs to be cross platform with the 3DS, so that'd alleviate things a bit.

I can totally see a cross platform game this holiday.

ggx2ac

Nintendo's earnings share from Pokémon Go and other entities:
Share of profit of entities accounted for using equity method: ¥20271 million or $182.2 million for the 12 months ended FY3/2017

Roo

Oh yeah, that's definitely a given.
Switch might be selling extremely well but they simply can't ignore the 50+million 3DS fanbase.

An HD-fied version of the potential 3DS version would be good enough to please Switch owners, imo.
It'll be a transitional title anyway (if it actually exist, of course.)

AniHawk

ya did good, iwata. ya did good.

....also 10m units is critically low given the current demand. i'm not surprised if they're already 1/10 of the way there in april. but it seems like they might be preparing for a lot more given the rumors that were floating around, and are just sticking to a plan they had formulated prior to launch.

JoeM86

Oh yeah, that's definitely a given.
Switch might be selling extremely well but they simply can't ignore the 50+million 3DS fanbase.

An HD-fied version of the potential 3DS version would be good enough to please Switch owners, imo.
It'll be a transitional title anyway (if it actually exist, of course.)

The 3DS games already have the assets for HD, it's why the game runs like ass on the 3DS. Just need to redo the battle backgrounds and they're good to go.

Festival Plaza really makes me think this has been the plan from the get-go. It's a step back from the PSS, but makes perfect sense if you consider cross-device compatibility.

Zedark

2 million for 5 years? Yeh, no.
They did say that. You should remember that as first party software, it brings in more money per copy than it would for a third party publisher. 2 Million would still refer to probably at least 70 million in expensive, possibly even 80.

Buzzi

Them Switch sales impress me. That said, they stil have to convince me more than the (average for a normal console) 10m are achievable first year, and they seem to think that too. The regional breakdown is near what I expected, EMEEA did better though.

6m HW sales forecasted for 3DS seem high, but probably not by much, 5m should be doable and the real war is not fough here. No more mariners to sell in FY2017, hype for the true 100 billion profits.

antonz

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but didn't we kinda know this already with the makers of the screen saying they had upped their projections and promised to make 10 millions unit this year?
Can't really make switches without screens, although it would now mean they expect to sell every console they can make for a while?

The initial report was 3 million screens delivered in their first batch. Which they effectively sold through most of. Then targeting at least 10 million but unit volume could change depending on demand etc.

So yeah everything is proceeding more or less according to plan. Too Early for Nintendo to come out and say we are going to sell 15 million! They will wait until late summer or early fall before they make any adjustment if they intend to boost sales projection based on how things are selling

Yeah they're going conservative with this 10m forecast. i'm pretty sure it will be more. Or maybe they think they can have some supply issues throughout the year.

Champion

Outlook for the Fiscal Year Ending March 31, 2018
In addition, we will maintain favorable conditions surrounding Nintendo Switch by providing a continuous stream of appealing third-party titles across varying genres. We aim to stimulate the platform and expand sales going into the holiday season this year
8ARsWpJ.gif

Salvadora

Switch sales put further emphasis on the abject failure of the Wii U.

It could, and in all likelihood will, be outsold by it's successor in a year.

Top Bottom