• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
HAL_Laboratory said:
Unannounced feature. Conceptual obviously. It's a track/thumb pad that can take fingerprints and measure pulse... like the Vitality Sensor.

That's a cool idea, but I don't see it working as well on a handheld. Seems like something that would get damaged too easily.

jufonuk said:
would be funny if nintendo use all the hype to sneal something bad past everyone..

Like that? That every 3DS would be packed inside elephant dung?

ILikeFeet said:
saw the video of that DSi Ware game. I'm impressed. I really wouldn't mind if they used that.

It won't though.
It'll use actual stereoscopic 3D.

Goron2000

best junior ever
Sorry for the bad Photoshop, best i could do for now. This is how i'd like the new handheld to be (obviously needs some work aesthetically) It slides down PSP Go style.

ds3d_mock.jpg

Somnid

Goron2000 said:
Sorry for the bad Photoshop, best i could do for now. This is how i'd like the new handheld to be (obviously needs some work aesthetically) It slides down PSP Go style.

The buttons in closed mode seem useless. If you wanted to do that just open it.

mclem

Jaruru said:
back and forth background movement gives me headache. I'm sure Nintendo will make this 3D tech (as they claimed) comfortable for general public for a decent amount of playtime.

Question: the glasses I wore for 3D movies in theaters only work horizontally. I tried turning my head and it didn't work anymore. so, if they kind of put the glass on top of the LCD screen to make a 3D effect, the 3DS cannot make 3D images when you hold it vertically?

(given IF they're using this kind of tech)

That technology uses polarised lenses; that's not what we believe Nintendo are doing.

Neither of the two most commonly-discussed possibilities - lenticular display or parallax barriers - would work in a different orientation either. However, I believe that - in *theory* - parallax barriers could theoretically be layered on top of each other so you'd use one set of barriers for vertical orientation and the other set for horizontal orientation. Whether they do that or not is another matter, but it's not outside the realms of possibility.

Buckethead said:
51 pages :lol

It's going to be funny when E3 rolls around.
Even funnier when Nintendo unveils this tech in the Wii successor.

The Nintendo E3 topic is going to reach at least 500 pages within the time of the conference.

KnightM7 said:
Is it too much to ask for there not to be a gap between the top and bottom screens?

No, though, that just means that it'll be easier to scratch when opening/closing.
There really should be some gap, even if it's tiny.

Buckethead said:
51 pages :lol

It's going to be funny when E3 rolls around.
Even funnier when Nintendo unveils this tech in the Wii successor.

But not quite as funny as when a competitor adopts the tech after talking shit for a couple of years.

KnightM7 said:
Is it too much to ask for there not to be a gap between the top and bottom screens?
The bigger question is why do you care about the gap so much? It hasn't stopped Nintendo from selling assloads of DS systems so obviously people really don't care that much except for a minority of hardcore gamers. Personally I think the gap keeps things fresh because there are two elements of gameplay. It doesn't break continuity between the viewable areas because they are usually different anyway. Squeezing them together to make one screen really serves no purpose other than to quench the "bigger is better" mentality.

Branduil

I don't see analog sticks happening.

1)There's not enough room on a handheld for a "classic controller" setup that is also comfortable.

2)Traditional analog sticks don't play well with the opposing objectives of sleekness and portability for 3DS

3)Nintendo has grown very adverse to visually convoluted controllers

4)Rumble+touchscreen may make virtual control sticks much more workable.

At best I can see Nintendo adding analog functionality to the D-Pad and buttons.

yencid

HAL_Laboratory said:
The bigger question is why do you care about the gap so much? It hasn't stopped Nintendo from selling assloads of DS systems so obviously people really don't care that much except for a minority of hardcore gamers. Personally I think the gap keeps things fresh because there are two elements of gameplay. It doesn't break continuity between the viewable areas because they are usually different anyway. Squeezing them together to make one screen really serves no purpose other than to quench the "bigger is better" mentality.

for the games that do display the same thing on both screens it is annoying that there is a gap of stuff you cant see.

mclem

wind_steaker said:
I dont know if this has been discussed but I was thinking about how something like this could be possible, and thought about transparent LCD displays.

semi-transparent-lcd.jpg

Now I believe but may be wrong that LCDs are transparent untill current is passed through the screen making them opaque. (a source for this)

So if Nintendo had 3 or 4 layered LCD screens that can have images on them while leaving areas transparent this could create a real illusion of depth. It would also have the benefit of not requiring to be constantly moved to appear 3D. Cost may be a factor however.

Obviously an object would be on one layer however and would not have any depth itself, but this could also be simulated with the motion sensor in the device. I could imagin this working really well in a Monkey ball style game, tilting the platform from above.

Thoughts?

The bolded suggests that you think the shakypics that we're seeing people make at the moment are how it'll work; they're not, they're just a fun way to get a 3D effect. They would fall down somewhat if the scene was also animated at the same time.

The layered transparency is a nice idea, but only four layers is still rather limited, particularly because they'd still be at a fixed distance apart from each other, so you couldn't have something massively running off into the distance.

If you've missed it, the most plausible speculation currently indicates that they're likely to be using technology along these lines:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/12/3d_illusion/

That should give a 3D image, with depth going beyond the body of the system.

Haunted

Branduil said:
I don't see analog sticks happening.

1)There's not enough room on a handheld for a "classic controller" setup that is also comfortable.

2)Traditional analog sticks don't play well with the opposing objectives of sleekness and portability for 3DS

3)Nintendo has grown very adverse to visually convoluted controllers

4)Rumble+touchscreen may make virtual control sticks much more workable.

At best I can see Nintendo adding analog functionality to the D-Pad and buttons.
Nikkei sez: 3D stick.

Nikkei is usually a very reliable source. The fun part is figuring out wtf a 3D stick is. :lol

mclem

Haunted said:

Nikkei is usually a very reliable source. The fun part is figuring out wtf a 3D stick is. :lol

Well, a stylus is a plastic stick, and it exists in the real world, so it's definitely 3D...

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Not saying it's not possible or not true, but the only thing that seems to suggest that the screens would be closer together is that one persistant rumor and those wanting to believe in it and have 2 screens combine into one large one. But then, at what aspect ratio? 2 stacked 16:4.5 screens to make one 16:9 screen? Who wants any type of gap in that kind of a display whether it be for a hinge or even a small seam between the 2 screens?

And even if they make a sliding top hinge or a clamshell hinge with slide-into-place screens you also have to take into acount the differing planes (higher & lower for a slide design) or angles (in a clamshell design)...to add: slide-into-place screens would scream dust/durability problems. Folding/bendable OLED's (3D at that) are too expenssive and out of the question.

Closer screens can be done without fancy hinges, for example: the clamshell hinge could be possitioned to hinge behind the top screen when opened to save space between screens. But then we have to factor in the camera possition...will it still be between the top & bottom screens, or somewhere else?

Either way there's still going to be some type of gap (not to mention different angles) between 2 screens in a clamshell design and different (one higher, one lower) planes in a slide design.

Nessus

AceBandage said:
Technically, it says "stick for movement in 3D".

Could that simply mean an analog stick, similar to how Nintendo went with an analog stick so you could navigate Mario around in a 3D environment in Mario 64?

Branduil

Haunted said:

Stylus is a stick that can interact with 3D objects. I think what may happen is the 3DS could use the camera to track the stylus and allow it to interact with objects above the screen even when it isn't touching the surface of the screen.

Nessus said:
Could that simply mean an analog stick, similar to how Nintendo went with an analog stick so you could navigate Mario around in a 3D environment in Mario 64?

You mean the thumb nub?
I doubt it.
Touch screen analog sticks are horrible.

Deku

Banned
3D stick is very likely an analog stick. it's for movement in 3D space.

I think you guys are overthinking this. Nintendo is copying the PSP in this case. Not the first time they've copied sony either.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Deku said:

I think you guys are overthinking this. Nintendo is copying the PSP in this case. Not the first time they've copied sony either.

I assume you mean the GameCube controller vaguely resembling the DualShock 2?

Deku

Banned
Danthrax said:
I assume you mean the GameCube controller vaguely resembling the DualShock 2?

the adoption of a 2nd analog stick for the right hand. yes. It's a design that's carried over to the classic controller as well.

Linkup

Deku said:

3D sticks are brand new and expensive, that should end any discussion about it being used. The first thing I thought was analog stick when I read the nikkei news. If they do copy the horrible nub on PSP I can only hope they somehow improve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom