• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

pulga

Banned
Dacvak said:
You guys are able to push both of those images together without resizing? Jesus.
The more puzzling aspect is why it looks correct to you...

magiceye.gif

When you look at this, is the heart pointing inward or outward?

Edit:
THIS one looks correct to me. (I flipped the images.)
BhyoM.png

I have no idea what you're going on about (I see roses, not hearts!, all I know is I'm using the cross-eyed method and that Banjo pic you posted is the exact same thing as kevincow's.

EatChildren said:
So yes, the Nuts 'N Bolts image would look backwards for you. The method the rest of us are using involves crossing our eyes and creating a third image using a combination of the two, focusing on that, and kablamo! 3D. That is stereoscopic 3D.
Speak for yourself :p That's why a lot of the previous images had three pics instead of just two - so you could use the cross-eyed method on one pair if you were used to that, or the magic-eye method on the other pair if you were used to that. Personally, I can't focus very well if I cross my eyes, and it hurts, but I can see magic-eye images without even trying.

KevinCow

Banned
EatChildren said:
That shot isnt the best due to stuff like the butterflies being in different positions.

The butterflies are in the same position. They're just close to the camera.

As for how to do them, try doing the cross-eye method, Dacvak. I used to be more used to the look-through method, but that's pretty much impossible with much larger images.

pulga said:
I have no idea what you're going on about (I see roses, not hearts!, all I know is I'm using the cross-eyed method and that Banjo pic you posted is the exact same thing as kevincow's.

It shouldn't. When you switch the images but use the same technique, it should look really weird.

mclem

EatChildren said:
EDIT: I'm pretty sure I'm using the look-through technique for the magic eye and it still looks like it sinks in to me. Whatevers.

I find that once you're used to doing one, it's *really* hard to do the other, even if your brain is convinced you're actually doing it correctly. I can just about do both, but the magic eye style comes extremely easy while I have to concentrate really hard to do the cross-eyed style and even harder to get it to come into focus.

I do find that look-through gives a more pronounced feeling of depth, although maybe that's just me. I suspect that might be something psychological, because if you're going cross-eyed, your brain thinks you're looking at something *close* to you while lookthrough suggests you're looking at something in the distance.

Hobbun

These mock-ups are nice and all. And yes, there is some version of 3-D viewing, but they are more gimmicky than anything. I mean is this the best we can expect Nintendo would give us with the 3DS due to there are no glasses?

Is getting a system that can display 3-D similar to what is shown at the theaters now, too much to expect?

Hobbun said:
These mock-ups are nice and all. And yes, there is some version of 3-D viewing, but they are more gimmicky than anything. I mean is this the best we can expect Nintendo would give us with the 3DS due to there are no glasses?

Is getting a system that can display 3-D similar to what is shown at the theaters now, too much to expect?

Im quite sure it could be done, if you wanna wear glasses.

WillyFive

Hobbun said:

Huh?

Dacvak said:
That is the exact opposite effect it should have. It should be bursting out.

This is mind-blowing. Is there something wrong with your monitor, or your eyes?

What about this one? Is the text popping out, or sinking into the screen?
emc2+magic_eye.jpg
sinking with me.

That heart one is great! I'm better at cross eyed ones but that was an easy one to see parallel.

Hobbun said:

The mock ups are mockups... designed for your computer's 2D screen. The 3DS has a 3D screen...

Hobbun

Graphics Horse said:
The mock ups are mockups... designed for your computer's 2D screen. The 3DS has a 3D screen...

Well, I guess what I meant was could we expect as good of 3D viewing on the 3DS as we are now seeing at the theaters, as you are not wearing glasses?

Hobbun said:
Well, I guess what I meant was could we expect as good of 3D viewing on the 3DS as we are now seeing at the theaters, as you are not wearing glasses?

Well each eye will see a different picture, without any effort like you need to see the stereo pictures above, but I wouldn't like to compare it to watching on an enormous screen.
It should be as good as possible on a small screen, as long as your head's in the right spot. Hopefully.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
MadOdorMachine said:
Nintendo really needs to do something about DK. It's one of their most well known brands and could reach Mario levels of popularity again if they would just give it some TLC. It's been too long since a true DK game was made. I've been flamed for this before, but I don't consider Jungle Beat a real DK game anymore than I would say Paper Mario is a real Mario game. Nintendo needs to re-invent the series again like they did with SMS. It's time for a reboot and I really wish people would start pushing Miyamoto and company about this rather something like Kid Icarus. I imagine DK would have a much higher chance of getting done if people would just ask for it.

The fact that Nintendo hasn't done anything more with DK--especially after how insanely popular Donkey Kong Country was--is ridiculous. Jungle Beat was decent, but changing the control scheme scares off a ton of potential buyers.

Just bring back a new DKC with the same control scheme as the originals and market it as such.

Chorazin

I just hope this thing has screens as big as the DSi XL. I can't handle the tiny-ass screens on the DS/DSi anymore.

Oh, and that it has full back-compatabilty with DS games.

Hobbun

Chorazin said:
I just hope this thing has screens as big as the DSi XL. I can't handle the tiny-ass screens on the DS/DSi anymore.

Oh, and that it has full back-compatabilty with DS games.

Well, I hear the screens are bigger than the DSi, but smaller than the XL.

And yes, it's supposed to have DS BC.

camineet

Banned
It would be nice if they could have screens the size of DSi XL, though that doesn't seem to be in the cards. I guess bigger than DSi will be good enough.

camineet said:
It would be nice if they could have screens the size of DSi XL, though that doesn't seem to be in the cards. I guess bigger than DSi will be good enough.

I guess seven years from now a nintendo 3DSiXL will be on the tables. I dont know, Id still prefer just one large screen

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
camineet said:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20002388-17.html

April 13, 2010 3:34 PM PDT
Nintendo: The 3DS is no DS
by Don Reisinger

Although Nintendo has said little about its plans for the Nintendo 3DS, its upcoming 3D-capable portable gaming device, company President Reggie Fils-Aime recently said in an interview with BusinessWeek that the 3DS isn't just another version of the DS. Instead, the device will replace Nintendo's DS line.

Quote:
Nintendo's decision to push the DS aside in favor of a new platform is rather interesting. The company stuck with the Game Boy for more than 15 years until it opted for the Nintendo DS. It sold more than 200 million Game Boy units because of it.

Like its predecessor, the DS has sold extremely well, tallying more than 125 million unit sales worldwide since its 2004 launch. Based on those sales figures and the fact that Nintendo recently launched the DSi XL for those who want larger screens, the DS wouldn't seem like an obvious candidate for replacement.

Sony agrees. The company's marketing director for hardware, John Koller, said recently that the 3DS "is a little bit of a stretch given where some of [Sony's] research is right now."

But it seems that Nintendo is trying to once again push the envelope with a technology that may or may not appeal to gamers. And in the process, it's making it clear that the 3DS is the next generation of its handheld devices, not a rework of current-gen products. Whether or not that means that Nintendo will discontinue the DS or if it will support both platforms while the 3DS is trying to gain traction in the market still remains to be seen. Fils-Aime would only say that Nintendo will provide details on the future of its mobile division at E3 in June.

Is it just because it's CNET that this is completely stupid? It's like these people have never heard of generation progression. I'm speaking of the last paragraph specifically (the bolded especially). Has there been a generation where games just stopped for a system instantly after the next gen system came out?

Plus it was stupid lumping the GB/C and GBA together as if it's the same thing as lumping the DS revisions together. And these people are really obsessing over the branding as if it means anything. It's not like Nintendo is married to branding. Or else it wouldn't have gone from NES(famicom)>SuperNES(Superfamicom)>N64. Would they lump the NES and SNES the same way and compare the two combined to the N64?

Galactic Fork said:
Is it just because it's CNET that this is completely stupid? It's like these people have never heard of generation progression. I'm speaking of the last paragraph specifically (the bolded especially). Has there been a generation where games just stopped for a system instantly after the next gen system came out?

Plus it was stupid lumping the GB/C and GBA together as if it's the same thing as lumping the DS revisions together. And these people are really obsessing over the branding as if it means anything. It's not like Nintendo is married to branding. Or else it wouldn't have gone from NES(famicom)>SuperNES(Superfamicom)>N64. Would they lump the NES and SNES the same way and compare the two combined to the N64?

Well unless Nintendo would stop producing and selling the original DS's and the DS Lites, and only have DSi's and DSi XL's on the market once the 3DS releases, and then a quick dropping of no DSi's and just having DSi XL's offered for the same lifetime as the GBA Micro. Why they would do that, I have no clue. Now for games, Maybe quality games stopped, or maybe first party development of DS games would stop. The farthest one for Nintendo in the foreseeable lifetime seems to be Golden Sun DS and/or Pokemon Black/White.

Somnid

Nintendo will no doubt move to 3DS development in 2011 and most of the last important DS items will likely have launched by the end of the year. I think they'll continue to support DSi as the lower end system for maybe a year or two after the 3DS. Like the PS2, it's not the type of system that will just die if left alone. The DSLite should end production sometime this year if it hasn't already.

I think the GBA and the GC give people a skewed perspective of Nintendo's hardware generations.

The GC was killed extremely prematurely because Iwata considered it a failure and wanted to move on. The GBA was killed because it was selling too well and the DS had not taken off yet.

The 3DS has nothing to prove like the DS did and the Wii isn't a failure, so presumably the slow trickle of a generational transition will happen this time.

zoukka

ShockingAlberto said:
I think the GBA and the GC give people a skewed perspective of Nintendo's hardware generations.

The GC was killed extremely prematurely because Iwata considered it a failure and wanted to move on. The GBA was killed because it was selling too well and the DS had not taken off yet.

The 3DS has nothing to prove like the DS did and the Wii isn't a failure, so presumably the slow trickle of a generational transition will happen this time.

I might not believe that.

Vinci

Danish
I keep coming in here hoping for some new... news or something, and all I get is more migraine-inducing sailboat images that I can't even make out when I do it correctly.

Dacvak said:
Can someone please explain how I'm supposed to be viewing these "3D" images? When I shrink them down and do the whole "cross-eyed"ish thing, they're always backwards.

What's going on?
Then you're not doing cross-eyed viewing, you're doing parallel viewing. Viewing image pairs made for one using the other method, you interpret the depth information in reverse. Which looks totally screwed up.

As parallel viewing is what I can do as well, when someone pastes one like these what I usually do is copy/paste the image twice into an image program. With it sitting beside itself, I can use the two views from the middle as a parallel pair.

EDIT: So oops I now see there was another page where this was already discussed.

camineet said:
Like its predecessor, the DS has sold extremely well, tallying more than 125 million unit sales worldwide since its 2004 launch. Based on those sales figures and the fact that Nintendo recently launched the DSi XL for those who want larger screens, the DS wouldn't seem like an obvious candidate for replacement.
It doesn't seem obvious to me at all that something that's already sold a load and has already gone through several models isn't a candidate for replacement.

Gino

I can do Cross eyed images super easy but I haven't been able to do those magic eye ones sense I was a kid.

I prefer real images to the silly hidden picture ones anyways.

EDIT: I can do the magic eye but it sinks in instead of popping out.

Mrbob

Isn't Nintendo developing a new Pokemon for the DS? I would say this is support well beyond the 3DS release.

This does seem like a curious decision. With 3DS around the corner you would figure Nintendo would release a new Pokemon for that platform instead.

Mrbob said:
Isn't Nintendo developing a new Pokemon for the DS? I would say this is support well beyond the 3DS release.

This does seem like a curious decision. With 3DS around the corner you would figure Nintendo would release a new Pokemon for that platform instead.

Pokemon comes out this Fall

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Mrbob said:

Nah its coming out this fall which'll be a little early. On the other hand they're doing some crazy perspective shit with it, making people think it might be 3DS enhanced a la link's awakening DX for the GBC.

Jackano

Mrbob said:

In may 2001 or something, there was 2 Zelda games for the GameBoy Color while the GameBoy Advance just came out. Clearly, Pokémon B&W aren't games who can show the potential of the new 3DS. Look at Wii Sports and Super Mario 64DS or Wario Ware Touched and you will get the idea of what will be the main 3DS launch title. Like the Oracle Zelda games, Pokémon B&W is destined to sell masively both on DSi and 3DS, thanks to the backward compatibility.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Mrbob said:

I'm willing to bet that it'll be 3DS enhanced or something like that. That way it'll encourage people to buy the game for 3DS features and they won't lose sales from making it 3DS only.

zoukka said:
I might not believe that.

Well, you don't have to believe it, but it is true. :lol There have been many reports about how NoA was under orders from Japan to kill off the GBA over here because its continued sales were supposedly stunting the market for the DS, and that this was the specific reason why a number of late-period GBA games never came out in the US.

Kyzer

Banned
I think it has less to do with "showcasing the platform" and more to do with waiting until the install base of the 3DS goes up or is in need of a boost. Pokemon moves systems. But in the meantime, they cant ignore the gigantic amount of fans ready to buy another DS game.

charlequin said:
Well, you don't have to believe it, but it is true. :lol There have been many reports about how NoA was under orders from Japan to kill off the GBA over here because its continued sales were supposedly stunting the market for the DS, and that this was the specific reason why a number of late-period GBA games never came out in the US.
Which ones? Just taking a browse at the late GBA releases in Japan, most that didn't come seem pretty unsurprising to me. Mother 3, Eyeshield 21, The Tower SP, third GBA F-Zero, and a handful of other small games. The main one that sticks out is Rhythm Tengoku, which was a really late GBA game.

Hobbun said:

Hobbun
ignorant slut
(Today, 01:09 PM)
Reply | Quote

Someone had to do it.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Which ones? Just taking a browse at the late GBA releases in Japan, most that didn't come seem pretty unsurprising to me. Mother 3, Eyeshield 21, The Tower SP, third GBA F-Zero, and a handful of other small games. The main one that sticks out is Rhythm Tengoku, which was a really late GBA game.

we got Tower SP, published by Sega

RoboPlato said:
I'm willing to bet that it'll be 3DS enhanced or something like that. That way it'll encourage people to buy the game for 3DS features and they won't lose sales from making it 3DS only.

How long did it take for the first DSi enhanced to come out? I doubt the Pokemon game will have an enhanced visual mode for that, I dont know how much its worth but the last generational upgrade didnt bring any features to GBA games on the DS.

And wouldnt that mean that Pokemon Company or Game Freak would have had the dev kits for the 3DS for awhile now?

Dedication Through Light said:
How long did it take for the first DSi enhanced to come out? I doubt the Pokemon game will have an enhanced visual mode for that, I dont know how much its worth but the last generational upgrade didnt bring any features to GBA games on the DS.

And wouldnt that mean that Pokemon Company or Game Freak would have had the dev kits for the 3DS for awhile now?
They were the first ones outside EAD to get them, apparently.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Mrbob said:

I'm sure a good part of it was GameFreak's decision, and Iwata and Ishihara are good friends so he didn't want to force them. GF probably already has 3DS dev kits anyways, and Pokemon was never a launch-window title.

Plus it makes business sense. Pokemon is selling gangbusters on DS already, thanks in part to the huge install base.

camineet

Banned

Will Nintendo’s 3DS change gaming 3D terminology?

By Jason Leavey, posted in General, Nintendo 3DS - Apr 14th, '10 3:18pm CDT

There’s a conundrum brewing within the gaming industry, a problem that fortunately hasn’t bubbled to the surface. That is until now.

The terminology for the two most prevalent types of gameplay may need a slight overhaul. In the 80s, you had the birth of 2D platformers. These games, like Super Mario Bros., played left to right, offering gamers a two dimensional playing experience. In the 90s however, we began moving into 3D gaming environments. Super Mario 64, one of the best 3D platformers, first brought Mario to a 360 degree world.

Alternately, in the film world, 3D means something very different. From a gaming standpoint, all films are in 3D environments, but “3D” films like Avatar are the ones actually utilizing a new dimension.

3D films extend that new dimension to viewer, literally bringing the content of the film out towards you. Despite a few video game titles bundled with those cheesy red/blue glasses, this type of 3D technology hasn’t gone mainstream in the gaming world.

But as we know, Nintendo has just announced the first real 3D gaming handheld to hit the market with the 3DS. Aside for being a glasses-less viewing experience, the specifics of how the 3D elements will be executed won’t be announced until this year’s E3. But does this new type of visual gaming deserve to be called 3D, in an industry where for decades 3D has meant something very different?

Upon purchasing, how will gamers know whether a title is 3D, ala Avatar, or 3D ala Super Mario 64? Most within the industry have named Super Mario 64 as Mario’s first 3D game. But if Nintendo creates a Super Mario 3DS title, couldn’t it still theoretically be a 3D title without being in 3D on the 3DS …wait, I think my brain just exploded.

The 3DS is only going to make this issue more confusing to the consumer, and the industry. And with 3D penetrating film and TV marketplace, it appears the gaming industry has a bit of a terminology trouble on their hands. Will 2D games be called 2D, 3D environment be called 3D, and “3D” become.. 4D?

Someone better decide this quickly
http://www.thetanooki.com/2010/04/14/will-nintendos-3ds-change-gaming-3d-terminology/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom