• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
All media interviews and events need to be slammed with "DON'T MAKE THIS THING REGION LOCKED". Region locking for a portable is the most retarded and stupid new Nintendoism that goes far beyond Friend Codes and anything like this.

MrPing1000 said:
Hasn't Nintendo been investing in some 3d/hologram type company for a decade or so?

That was for Holographic Storage, which is basically a high capacity storage system.

TheKingsCrown said:
:lol New Nintendo Hardware Confirmed. :lol

Exactly what I was thinking when I saw this thread.
And just last night, people were saying "Ugh! Close this thread and open one with all the DS2 rumors!"

SecretBonusPoint said:
All media interviews and events need to be slammed with "DON'T MAKE THIS THING REGION LOCKED". Region locking for a portable is the most retarded and stupid new Nintendoism that goes far beyond Friend Codes and anything like this.

It's going to be region locked.

Pray Team Twiizers can hack it pronto.

selig

Banned
SecretBonusPoint said:

The 3DS will be region-locked, just like the DSi. Complaining about that won´t help anything.

MoxManiac

HenryGale said:
thats an exaggeration, unless you're still getting freaking 5 dollar tickets, which weren't even around 10 years ago when I was younger, then theres no way it's even double. Ticket prices run about 8.50-10.50 and 3d is around 12-14. Expensive yeah, but no more than a 50% increase, not 300. Lets not get carried away

The theater near me that is playing Avatar in 3D charges $7 for a normal movie, and like $12-13 for 3D (avatar) so it's almost double.

BooJoh

My most immediate concern is whether or not I can transfer my DSiWare library to it. Something tells me the answer is no.

selig said:
The 3DS will be region-locked, just like the DSi. Complaining about that won´t help anything.

Thats the spirit!

Dragona Akehi said:
It's going to be region locked.

Pray Team Twiizers can hack it pronto.

Reality bites :/ They should still catch a hell of a lot more shit for this move than they do, and a new hardware generation should be when that pressure is applied.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Sounds good! I want to have a portable autostereoscopic gadget even if it's not super high end quality screen, just for the novelty of it. Bring it on Nintendo!

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I wake up to this kind of news?

Shit, I thought this Tuesday was going to suck! HORAH!

Doorman

*Wakes up, lazily gets some cereal, hops online to check some news and so forth*

*"Nintendo announces new handheld, 3-D without glasses"*

....WHAAAAAAAAAT?!

Pretty much my reaction so far today. E3 is going to be stellar this year with an announcement like this already coming, because it means that chances are, Sony will try and show off at least something of their new PSP to counter it. If the 3DS beats them to the market, the DS brand loyalty and developer base is so strong that I'm not sure they'd be able to legitimately challenge.

What really has me curious, though, is why Nintendo felt the need to drop this bomb on a random Tuesday morning in March and not wait for some sort of reveal event. I shouldn't be surprised by Nintendo doing something a little crazy, but what's the strategy of their timing here?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
To be honest, what that DSi game/thing does that was posted countless times appeals more to me from a handheld gameplay perspective than actual 3D effects for now.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Pardon my ignorance as I'm excited about this news, but what purpose would 3D serve as far as gameplay goes? Could there be some innovating gameplay elements due to 3D?
More than the technologic intricacies that's what I'm wondering the most too, along with battery life.

neojubei said:
Yea they did.

Oh and Fuu, cute avatar.
;)

McHuj

I'm so excited. First thing I do at work is check this thread. I'm so pumped. I think my DS is my favorite gaming system.

Now, why did Nintendo make this announcement now?

Were they planning to say something at GDC then chose not to? Do they feel that maybe one of their competitors will announce something soon and they wanted to beat them? Or maybe since dev kits are out now, there will just be an uncontrollable amount of leaks?

Doorman said:
*Wakes up, lazily gets some cereal, hops online to check some news and so forth*

....WHAAAAAAAAAT?!

Pretty much my reaction so far today. E3 is going to be stellar this year with an announcement like this already coming, because it means that chances are, Sony will try and show off at least something of their new PSP to counter it. If the 3DS beats them to the market, the DS brand loyalty and developer base is so strong that I'm not sure they'd be able to legitimately challenge.

What really has me curious, though, is why Nintendo felt the need to drop this bomb on a random Tuesday morning in March and not wait for some sort of reveal event. I shouldn't be surprised by Nintendo doing something a little crazy, but what's the strategy of their timing here?

Someone else mentioned that this announcement comes a week before the close of their fiscal year, so it was probably to boost investor confidence.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Reposting from last page:

Will 3D create new gameplay ideas?

If Nintendo is adding it to their next system, then it's likely they have something special planned for it.

LCfiner

Doorman said:

....WHAAAAAAAAAT?!

Yup.

I bet Sony execs are frantically calling Dr Marx as we speak and asking if he happens to have any portable 3D tech stuffed away in the back of his lab somewhere.

Turnstyle

Maybe I'm being dumb here, but how would touch screen technology work in 3D? I mean, realistically, without someone posting a Minority Report style screenshot?

Will they get rid of touch?

BooJoh

Doorman said:
Seriously.. why announce it now instead of waiting for E3?

I see two major flaws here:

1) Sony now has time to prep a counter-announcement for E3.
2) Nintendo's own DSi XL hits retail in NA in less than one week.

Mik2121

Jason's Ultimatum said:

Not nearly as innovative as the change from 2D to 3D (as in, polygonal, not 3D screens), but still I could see them doing some games that could be innovative enough to really demonstrate that the screen is not just a gimmick.

Anyway, what I wanna know is, how does 3D without glasses work? Because some people talked about head-tracking but I don't think that's even needed, right?. I'd guess it's just something regarding how the screen is made, right?.

kamikaze

wow. wonder why they announced now? guess they just like to move at their own pace instead of dropping news at conferences (gdc was just 2 weeks ago).

BooJoh said:
My most immediate concern is whether or not I can transfer my DSiWare library to it. Something tells me the answer is no.

It's possible... but I don't know how easy Nintendo will make it to transfer. May require over-the-phone-bitching.

SecretBonusPoint said:
Thats the spirit!
Reality bites :/

Well, maybe we're all wrong and Nintendo realised the error of their ways and the 3DS will be region free as the gods above and below intended!

[Nintex]

BooJoh said:

Iwata just wanted to laugh at NoE and NOA trying to spin this.

selig

Banned
Jason's Ultimatum said:

Some, sure. But more importantly, 3D will be a major visual upgrade, much more important than HD. If it works well enough, it´ll change the way we perceive games, completely.

Sirolf

BooJoh said:

For 1), it's REALLY possible that Ninty knows that the PSP2 has already 3D tech in it too...

AndyD

aka andydumi
This is more of a general E3 3D question.
How will it come across in videos and whatnot? Without being there to see the stuff in 3D, we will have to rely more and more on impressions from gaming media, which is not always a good thing.

nocode

Oh man, I'm interested! I really hope they don't fuck this up. E3 is going to be great this year, and I'm basing that on things that are already announced to be there this time around instead of a bunch of shitty speculation!

Gameboy415

I'm psyched! :D

happyhappyjoyjoystationhappy4f.jpg

Here's hoping it releases in the US first like the original DS!
(...because I'm leaving Japan in less than a month! :lol)

LCfiner

Mik2121 said:
Not nearly as innovative as the change from 2D to 3D (as in, polygonal, not 3D screens), but still I could see them doing some games that could be innovative enough to really demonstrate that the screen is not just a gimmick.

Anyway, what I wanna know is, how does 3D without glasses work? Because some people talked about head-tracking but I don't think that's even needed, right?. I'd guess it's just something regarding how the screen is made, right?.

there's two philosophies in this thread.

1. they will use head tracking camera and all 3D will be self contained within the screens. I think this poses problems for ergonomics (keeping your head still, requiring a well lit room) and isn't a big enough step up to warrant new hardware. but the pro for nintendo is that its super cheap.

2. there's special screens that offer slightly different views to the left and right eyes and produce a 3D image that appears to extend outside the depth of the screen itself. it's been used on some cell phones in japan. this would allow for 3D without glasses but you need to look at the screen within a narrow range of angles.

i think option 1 doesn't warrant new hardware since it can already be done on the DS1 and it's not impressive or flexible enough for all new software to take advantage of it.

option 2 is a bit more pie in the sky but could actually be cool enough to justify Nintendo phasing out the DSi.

Varion

Well this is a random way to start the day :lol

Seems really weird they wouldn't be making Pokemon Gen 5 for this though, but I'm going to be glad for that because ugh, 3D. I can feel the headaches coming already.

careful said:
Sounds fake. 3D is not the type of tech Nintendo would go after. I could believe a PSP2 rumour about this, but this sounds very unNintendo like.

That's what makes Nintendo, Nintendo. They do the unexpected, especially since the original DS

AndyD said:
How will it come across in videos and whatnot? Without being there to see the stuff in 3D, we will have to rely more and more on impressions from gaming media, which is not always a good thing.
At first it will probably just be a video of a 3DS on a black surface and CG monsters rising from it like so many SNES-era TV commercials.

AndyD said:

It really won't.
But then again, the fun of playing the Wii didn't come across in videos very well, either.

BooJoh said:

1) maybe 3D is only a secondary aspect of the system

2) maybe they are being nice to costumers

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
BooJoh said:

I already explained why in this thread

Yes, Sony is going to engineer a new console in the next three months in time to demo it with a robust software library.

Something tells me they're not worried about sabotaging 2010 sales of the 4th installment of one of their products by issuing a minor press release about a product they're launching in 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom