• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

Nakasan said:
I'd leave my wife for 3D in the home as impressive as Avatar, but... Yeah, mobile screens aren't really big enough to produce a 3D effect thats particularly noticable.
Heh, I say this like I've seen one. Has anyone seen the mobile phone screens IRL?
I don't think that's necessary. Buy a 120Hz DLP projector (700 USD or so) and some shutter glasses ($150?). That's it.

Dragona Akehi said:
You don't seem to see a difference between the use of glasses to achieve a 3D effect and one without. Unfortunately it is important. It's a significant barrier to the penetration of the technology.
I do see the difference and I agree on its impact on penetration. However, we weren't talking about penetration but about the impact on gameplay. Regarding that, any method to achieve stereoscopic depth perception is pretty much equivalent.

Barrett2

AceBandage said:
Because they felt that they've already gotten everything out of a N64 power handheld, so they need to move onto one that's about (or more) powerful than the Gamecube.
It makes sense.
I mean, they got billions from the DS already.

Plus, im' guessing with their past success with DS sales, they could probably strike a ridiculously good deal with component manufacturers. If you are guaranteed to sell a bajillion units, you could be convinced to take tiny margins.

DMeisterJ

Banned
All the backtracking on the 3D hate in this thread now that Nintendo is doing it is amazing. :lol

Reminds me of all the backtracking on the motion control hate when Sony and MS announced theirs. :lol

Durante

Mik2121 said:
Anyway, for the formulation being vague. I don't know what's vague about that. It's a new successor of the DS (that is, nothing like the DSi but something much much bigger) that features 3D effect without the need of any special glasses.
"3D effect" is the vague part. It could mean real stereoscopic depth perception like most are assuming here, but it could also just be perspective adjustment based on camera/sensor information on a 2D screen.
Somehow, the latter seems more Nintendo-like to me, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
DMeisterJ said:
All the backtracking on the 3D hate in this thread now that Nintendo is doing it is amazing. :lol

Reminds me of all the backtracking on the motion control hate when Sony and MS announced theirs. :lol
Just gotta wait for MS now. It'll be all love in here again <3

Durante said:
I don't think that's necessary. Buy a 120Hz DLP projector (700 USD or so) and some shutter glasses ($150?). That's it.

I do see the difference and I agree on its impact on penetration. However, we weren't talking about penetration but about the impact on gameplay. Regarding that, any method to achieve stereoscopic depth perception is pretty much equivalent.

But that doesn't make people hypocrites for being excited for one (the 3DS should it be real 3D, I'm sceptical too,) over the other (clunky 3D glasses).

LCfiner

Nakasan said:
And again, that has nothing to do with the 3D we're all assuming the 3DS will have.
A little part of me dies everytime that gets posted :lol

nintendo's likely solution won't translate to video at all but will be much more impressie and versatile when seen in person.

DMeisterJ said:

The whole "no glasses" thing really makes quite a huge difference in my book.

lawblob said:
If Nintendo has had so much success with underpowered systems, I wonder why they are going with a seemingly much more robust handheld next?

Market differentiation, I think.

Simple improvements in graphics doesn't differentiate them from their competitors at all. Consumers have been proven not to notice or care.

Glasses-free 3D places them in a category all their own, which is exactly where Nintendo wants to be.

Xater

I have to laugh at the people that say people are backtracking on 3D. No 3D is nice but I doN#t want to spend all that extra cash right now AND wear those stupid glasses. This system will probably be not more expensive than 200 bucks and I get 3D without the hassle. That sounds great to me.

Mik2121

Durante said:
"3D effect" is the vague part. It could mean real stereoscopic depth perception like most are assuming here, but it could also just be perspective adjustment based on camera/sensor information on a 2D screen.
Somehow, the latter seems more Nintendo-like to me, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.
Uhm, if it were the later, couldn't they just do it with the DSi?. I mean, there's already a game that does that...

Durante

Dragona Akehi said:
But that doesn't make people hypocrites for being excited for one (the 3DS should it be real 3D, I'm sceptical too,) over the other (clunky 3D glasses).
No. but it makes them hypocrites if they say that one has a huge impact on gameplay while the other doesn't. It's a small distinction I admit.

Mik2121 said:
Uhm, if it were the later, couldn't they just do it with the DSi?. I mean, there's already a game that does that...
Depends. If they have a tilt/motion sensor and faster camera they could do a better job.

As I said, I'm actually happy if they prove me wrong.

GaimeGuy said:
that doesn't tell us much :<

It tells us it could have an analog stick and fairly large screens.
That's pretty good information.

GaussTek said:
OMG OMG, just wake up and saw this!

But, what the hell.... it is safe to reveal it right now?!!

Why not?
Even if Sony started R&Ding a counter product TODAY, it wouldn't be out for at least 3 years.

Kintaco

Mind blown, I wasn't expecting this info this morning. Pretty big bombshell, hopefully the technology is impressive once seen. How I wish I could fake my way into E3 again.

Durante said:
No. but it makes them hypocrites if they say that one has a huge impact on gameplay while the other doesn't. It's a small distinction I admit.

There we agree, though I think it can make another step into gameplay. We just haven't seen a game designed around it yet. It's still impressive regardless.

TouchMyBox said:
Does this thing support WPA2-PSK/AES?

I'm not going to compromise my network for you, Nintendo.

Wii and DSi both already support WPA2.

Nakasan

Durante said:

It's my wifes birthday next month. At least I know what to get her now!

Vinci

Danish
3-fucking-D? Without glasses? I'm going to assume that Nintendo found a way to make this awesome, 'cause otherwise I'd think the idea were nuts. And I love how everyone assumes Nintendo is technologically weak or something; they didn't design the Wii the way they did due to a lack of ability, you putzes.

E3 is going to be insane. Just ludicrous.

EDIT: And I agree with others saying 3D with glasses is going to remain iffy in the marketplace compared to something that can do it without them.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
GaussTek said:
OMG OMG, just wake up and saw this!

But, what the hell.... it is safe to reveal it right now?!!

No, it's not safe. This gives enough time for Sony to make a new PSP3D (with some new extra gimmick feature that the 3DS won't have) prototype for the next E3. :lol

Durante said:
picardfacepalm.jpg

ksamedi

So if we sum things up the 3DS could potantially have:

A Dpad (backwards compatible with DSi)
Analog stick
Rumble
Camera (Backward compatibility DSi)
Dual screens
Atleast one touch screen
3D effects without glasses
Microphone (backwards compatibility DSi)
Gamecube power
Higher res screens
Internal storage

Possibly:
Dual touch screen
Multitouch screen (Nintendo filed some patents for this)
Rumble in stylus (info from patent)
motion sensing

Thats a whole lot of shit.

AniHawk

This is shit-crazy news to wake up to I have to say. If anything, it makes the prospect of new consoles even more exciting now that motion controls will probably go beyond the pioneering/experimental stage since there's stuff to interact with.

jett

D-Member
phalestine said:
So I guess its still Dual Screen than, if its backwards compatible. hmm, really curious how this looks. cant wait until E3.

It could be one huge screen with two simulated DS screens on it, like an emulator. Who knows. Personally I see the dual sceen thing as a nuisance. I'd rather have one single screen of decent resolution.

Deku

Banned
If Tegra 2 rumours are indeed true, it would cost them very little comparatively to get the kind of performance most of us are assuming. This would also be in-line with the already known DS/DSi BC, which is probably the only thing most people got right in their predictions. Both being based aroudn ARM CPUs.

Also, the PSP2 is rumoured to have graphics comparable to X360 games. So having a GameCube level portable would put Nintendo precisely a generation behind. Nothing's really changed, but we're hitting the diminishing returns margin of where mos t people care about graphics.

Then again, I don't think anyone here thought they'd go with a 3D screen -- without glasses.

I'm hesistant to make further predictions.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Dragona Akehi said:

It'll be 'real', in the sense that it'll be autostereoscopic. There'd be nothing new about it vs the DSi if not.

As for the issue of hypocrisy...there's obviously people who have and always had genuine issues with glasses (including yourself). But as per my last post, I'd find it suspicious/funny if there was a sudden coincidence between people loving 3DS and hating 3D at home or the cinema (glasses), or a sudden alignment of sentiment along 'party lines'. Heck, Nintendo is clearly aiming this at the kids who love 3D in the cinema, at the buzz around 3D with kids. I'm confident that most folks here who love the idea of 3DS also love home/cinema 3D.

Haunted

neo2046 said:
nikkei says
- analog stick
- vibration pack

- tilt sensor under decision
- wireless connection speed up
- battery life up
- smaller than 4" screen
OH SHI

Nikkei is a very reliable source.

What resolution would a 4" traditionally be?

Somnid

ksamedi said:

Analog stick
Rumble
Dual screens
Atleast one touch screen
Gamecube power
Higher res screens
Internal storage

Possibly:
Dual touch screen
motion sensing

Don't forget a possible kindle style free 3G network connection.

Josh7289

ksamedi said:

Analog stick
Rumble
Dual screens
Atleast one touch screen
Gamecube power
Higher res screens
Internal storage

Possibly:
Dual touch screen
motion sensing

It does have an accelerometer.

ryan-ts

jett said:
It could be one huge screen with two simulated DS screens on it, like an emulator. Who knows. Personally I see the dual sceen thing as a nuisance. I'd rather have one single screen of decent resolution.

Why would they call it the DS again?

GCX

To me DSi seems like some sort of experiment to test stuff like cameras, online services and stuff like that for future use.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Alright, Nintendo. You got me. I you knew I was holding out on getting a new DS because I was waiting to see if there was going to be another revision. You know I still have a phat and want me to get a new one. You also know I'm a sucker for 3D. You have my money.

Vinci

Danish
gofreak said:
It'll be 'real', in the sense that it'll be autostereoscopic. There'd be nothing new about it vs the DSi if not.

As for the issue of hypocrisy...there's obviously people who have and always had genuine issues with glasses (including yourself). But as per my last post, I'd find it suspicious/funny if there was a sudden coincidence between people loving 3DS and hating 3D at home or the cinema (glasses), or a sudden alignment of sentiment along 'party lines'. Heck, Nintendo is clearly aiming this at the kids who love 3D in the cinema, at the buzz around 3D with kids. I'm confident that most folks here who love the idea of 3DS also love home/cinema 3D.

I don't have an issue with 3D glasses in the cinema or with my big screen at home, but I know many people who went to see Avatar in 2D simply to avoid wearing them. Yes, I'm serious; and yes, I think that's ridiculous too, but there you go.

The glasses are inconvenient. Convenience is one of the best traits any product can proclaim on its behalf.

jacksrb

I'm more excited that the hardware may receive a large jump in power, along with the inclusion of the cameras as a standard. Opens up to more DSi exclusive-type content, and more complex games.

But super interested in any case.

I know it hasn't been specifically stated, but considering the structure of the name "3DS" and Iwata's thoughts on wireless gameplay regardless of your location, do you think there's a possibility of the new handheld utilizing 3GS?

swerve

DMeisterJ said:

I still can't get excited about 3D in my living room, it's a bolted on gimmick with no discernible benefit after the first few times.

However, as the very core of a new device from a developer with a proven track record of highly entertaining uses of their own new devices, it's a very exciting prospect.

No backtracking, simply the difference of implementation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom