• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS reaches 5 million sales in Japan - Breaks the record

Well, I was lurking GAF in 2011 and I remember all those 3DS threads. There were a bunch of users who stuffed the threads with their crazy posts - and it seems like they completely vanished now.

One even said that Nintendo has to abandon the 3DS.

Yeah. Times change.

Yeah, BurntPork

Dude was (is) crazy.

He totally lost his mind with the Circle Pad was announced. Like, in a "I curse Nintendo and hope they die a thousand deaths" sort of way.

Then he'd calm down and be like "YOU CAN'T HOLD THINGS I'VE SAID AGAINST ME" and then go crazy again.

Iwata: "What's that Sony? It's hard to hear you over the sound of record breaking sales"

llamas-with-hats-201677.jpg

But seriously, good news! And this is without the megaton of Pokemon. I suspect we'll see the 20 mil mark easily passed by the end of the year (Worldwide that is).

Nibel

Oh yeah, Burntpork probably XD

Could be - If that's the guy with the Girahim avatar, then that must have been him. Damn, dude was crazy!

Pretty good job, Nintendo. Just giving a damn about everything and doing its own thing with price cuts and releasing must-have games.

Let's see if Sony can get into beast mode, too!

Indyana

Takao

Banned
Even Takao is giving up hope?

Sony's like Humpty Dumpty, and I'm not sure there's someone who can put the pieces back together again.

I don't think they're doomed, nor am I seriously writing off the fate of Vita. It's just that I thought the dark ages ended in 2008. But it seems I was wrong.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I prefer this article from Meristation (Spanish web page) Nintendo and the stereoscopic curse.
Nintendo 3DS is going to be the big N biggest failure since Virtual Boy. The shortage of third parties launches, its sudden price drop and the most fearful accessory ever remembered are just some of its many slabs.

I'll go even higher

http://www.everyeye.it/3ds/articoli/l-amaro-calice_speciale_14812

L'AMARO CALICE. For everyone who can read Italian, it's something awesome.

Tookay

Gotta say, as a lurker, the craziness of the 3DS and Vita threads made last year very enjoyable. It was like a roller coaster of fortunes, from "3DS' victory is inevitable/hypothetical PSP2 doomed" at E3 2010 to "3DS launch/price sucks/NGP is promising" in January 2011 to "3DS is a disaster/Vita wins" by summer 2011.

And now we've come full circle.

Even Takao is giving up hope?

image.php

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Sony's like Humpty Dumpty, and I'm not sure there's someone who can put the pieces back together again.

I don't think they're doomed, nor am I seriously writing off the fate of Vita. It's just that I thought the dark ages ended in 2008. But it seems I was wrong.

I think the issue is Nintendo is going after their PSP market share, and if I Sony's not up to the task they very may well lose a significnt portion of it let alone, expanding it.

rockx4

I'll be happy if the Vita can provide quality games from Falcom and NIS, because they both obviously hate nintendo.

Takao

Banned
I think the issue is Nintendo is going after their PSP market share, and if I Sony's not up to the task they very may well lose a significant portion of it let alone, expanding it.

It's hard to suggest how Sony would go towards rebuilding Vita. The easy way on paper is to money hat software, but software - especially on hardware like Vita will take time. I suppose in the mean time Sony should ensure that Vita/3DS is a thing, as is PS3/360/Vita alongside a bunch of smaller titles. But this is easier said than done.

Coolwhip

Banned
Is it possible that sales will slow down badly now though. The DS was new, the 3DS could build on the known brand. Maybe people are buying it faster.

I'll go even higher

http://www.everyeye.it/3ds/articoli/l-amaro-calice_speciale_14812

L'AMARO CALICE. For everyone who can read Italian, it's something awesome.

That's an amazing piece of... Italian gaming journalism.

Nintendo non sta azzeccando nessuna mossa, confermando, una volta di più come la sua anima sia intimamente conservatrice.

It was funny because a month later there was Nintendo Conference which showed an aggressive strategy in particular for what concerns third parties.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
That's an amazing piece of... Italian gaming journalism.

It was funny because a month later there was Nintendo Conference which showed an aggressive strategy in particular for what concerns third parties.

No, not a month later, but 5 days later.
And yeah, basically the day after the article, MH3G has been announced.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Talkin about upcoming big 3DS games, lets not forget that the next Smash iteration is also heading to 3DS.

zoukka

I almost wish neither of these machines wouldn't succeed and we went back into the more simple handheld devices :3

Is it possible that sales will slow down badly now though. The DS was new, the 3DS could build on the known brand. Maybe people are buying it faster.

I don't think so. Going by your theory, it would have never experienced the slow initial sales that led to the price drop in the first place. And looking toward the future, Love Plus came out this week which should provide a modest bump, Kid Icarus is following up in March, and then Golden Week follows that. For at least the next two months the 3DS will continue selling at a very healthy pace.

I almost wish neither of these machines wouldn't succeed and we went back into the more simple handheld devices :3

Well, I think 3DS still is a simple handheld device. It has cameras and a digital platform, but it follows perfectly DS philosophy in mixing a friendly interface and the focus on gaming.

Excellent. I don't think the 3DS will ever meet the sales of its predecessor but that doesn't matter as it's poised to sell consistently and briskly everywhere for the rest of its lifespan.

zoukka

Well, I think 3DS still is a simple handheld device. It has cameras and a digital platform, but it follows perfectly DS philosophy in mixing a friendly interface and the focus on gaming.

The 3D effects deadzone combined with the battery, frankenstick and the ever increasing "consolization" of its games beg to differ.

I am now having the same problems with RE: Revelations as I had with the original PSP. I can't see shit. I can't play it for very long and even though the structure is simplified a lot from RE4 and 5, the game doesn't feel like a portable experience at all.

In my opinion the DS was the last portable handheld console. This is my personal opinion.

I suspect we'll see the 20 mil mark easily passed by the end of the year (Worldwide that is).

Actually I reckon 3DS should be around 17/18 million by now already, I wouldn't be surprised if it'd ended selling more than 30M worldwide by end 2012, provided quality games - Pokemon, a 2D Mario game - keep coming throughout the upcoming months.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
maybe I'll brush the layer of dust off mine. it deserves better than the 45 minutes I've given it in the last 10 months.

So you own a 3DS and havent bothered with Pushmo, Revelations, 3D Land or Kart 7 ? This seems weird.

zoukka

So you own a 3DS and havent bothered with Pushmo, Revelations, 3D Land or Kart 7 ? This seems weird.

Believe or not it's possible. For example I own all of those game and the only one I've finished is Mario Kart :b

(still waiting for Advance Wars)

szaromir

Banned
So Takao is Sony's Nuclear Muffin?

Amazing turnaround for Nintendo. It's crazy what a few key releases can do for hardware sales.

So Takao is Sony's Nuclear Muffin?

Amazing turnaround for Nintendo. It's crazy what a few key releases can do for hardware sales.
And there's more to come!

This year (possibly): Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Mario 2D, Girls Mode, Tomodachi Collection, Monster Hunter 4

LOL

zoukka

What were your favorite games on the DS?

Metroidvanias, Metroids, Advance Wars, Pokemans, the occasional 2D platformer, puzzle game (Layton, Tetris), JRPG and visual novel (Phoenix Wright).

Basically I'm craving for 2D games with simple yet deep gameplay that I'm not afraid to put to sleep at any time anywhere.

SmokyDave

It's not that weird. Pushmo is charming, but no more so than the average iOS puzzler. The two Mario games are excellent but shortlived, unless you play MK7 online (which I don't). Revelations is one of those games that you'll either want, or not want. I fall into the 'not want' camp. And that's pretty much it. The rest of the library (barring Zelda) is shit I wouldn't give a second glance on any other console / handheld.

My 3DS is also gathering dust, with no end in sight. If someone offered me a decent trade-in for it, I'd probably let it go. It's a shame, because I love the 3D effect.

Rhod

Metroidvanias, Metroids, Advance Wars, Pokemans, the occasional 2D platformer, puzzle game (Layton, Tetris), JRPG and visual novel (Phoenix Wright).

Basically I'm craving for 2D games with simple yet deep gameplay that I'm not afraid to put to sleep at any time anywhere.

Yeah, this area is very underserved at the moment. It's a big shame. I hope Fire Emblem doesn't stray too far from the DS versions, and I look forward to some really nice use of the 3D screen for 2D games. PokeMon must be coming soon, and a proper 2D castlevania on that 3D screen would be mind-blowingly exciting.

The intro for Sakura Samurai is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen in a game and shows so much potential for 2D in 3D (then the game is all 3D.. :/ ).

(that said, I'm lucky to have a JP 3DS and the store has 2 lovely picross games on it as well as a neat demo of Rhythm Thief R, all of which are making me very positive on 3DS right now).

Also, can we make the phrase 'gathering dust' ban-able? :p

Awesome news. Love the 3DS, don't get the hate. I've always felt that it has the potential to become one the greatest gaming systems ever, and being a commercial success is a crucial step to increase the likelyhood of that.

I love 3D gaming, and I would have been gutted if 3DS wasn't a success and Nintendo abandoned stereo 3D in future systems.

zroid

Banned
In 2012 so far, the ratio of playtime each of my systems have gotten is probably something like:

3DS:Wii:pS3

20:3:3

Sapiens

Good news. Now hopefully there will be more than one game I want to play(the only game I've justified owning so far is Mario3D).

liger05

The 3DS is my go to console right now.

I'm only 7 hours in on Tales of Abyss and that will keep me going for ever. Zen Pinball and Pushmo also keep me going. With raid mode in RE, Online MK and gonna get back on SFIV the 3DS is great for me right now.

I gotta admit I was worried 9 months ago. I knew the games were coming but man should never of doubted Nintendo!!

Top Bottom