• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Region Code confirmed by Nintendo JP Support

Keyouta

Shot of an e-mail to Nintendo, doubt they care too much though. Wonder if I'll get a response...

As you might now, the 3DS' region coding for both the system and the software was just leaked online. Although I expected to see the system region locked (Wii, DSi, DSi XL), I am very disappointed in your decision to lock out consumers from ordering games they want to play.

Currently, I am living in Japan and will be staying here for around 6 more months. I really love Nintendo consoles and feel that handhelds should not have region coding. Your decision to lock down the 3DS makes it a hard for me to choose whether to buy a system here or not. With the DS, and the DS Lite, I can travel and buy any DS game and not have to worry about compatibility. Lots of great games come out in other regions that never end up being localized, or sometimes, localization takes a long time.

Well, I'm just saying that your choice to lock the system with region coding is a poor choice, and makes it that much more difficult for me on my decision on buying a 3DS here in Japan at launch.

^^^

Will probably fall on deaf ears (if it even falls on any ears knowing Nintendo) but at least you're doing something and trying to voice your opinion to the source itself.

Anyways, lttp, very disappointed to hear this. Way to kill a huge bullet point for your faithful customers, Nintendo.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
"Ive got a great idea! lets put in region locks for a portable!"

dW5Bu.gif

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Why's that a problem?

because Japan's CEro rating is a load of up and down balls.

Games that get a Z here which are classed as adult may not get the equivalent in the west and likewise some games get B and C which would be considered a bit, um, "fruity" in the west wouldn't directly translate.

That said - why is this suddenly a problem now and, ugh, regioning on a portable. :/

hirokazu

Will wait for it to be hacked, or when Pokemon comes out. Hopefully they built it like DSi and the hackers will get a lead from that. $400AU, no thanks.

swerve

Keyouta said:
Shot of an e-mail to Nintendo, doubt they care too much though. Wonder if I'll get a response...

If enough people feel like this, it'd be worth getting on twitter to @NintendoAmerica, maybe make a hashtag for #3DSLocked or something.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
charlequin said:
The PS3 is hardly hurting for third-party support despite a complete lack of region-coding for current-gen games. Region-lock is an extremely minor gesture to third-parties compared to any of the things people generally propose, and far more consumer-unfriendly than any of the alternatives.

you could argue that region-free helps 3rd parties. With no region locking, you really need to get your sublicensing done ahead of time, and plan for global releases. You need to get your title to market eg in Europe at the same time as US to avoid parallel imports. This requires a little more effort, but means you can benefit from pre-launch hype and marketing from the original publisher. The internet is a global tool and for niche titles shouldn't be overlooked.

I think its somewhat like downloading for TV - pretty much the only way you can watch US shows ahead of time in the UK for instance. The response hasn't been to lock stuff out, its been to show stuff in the UK as close to US broadcast as possible, encouraging consumers to wait a couple of days and watch in the UK. Even to the level of the LOST finale being simulcast at 5am.. Worked for me - almost all shows that are supported like this I now choose to watch on the UK broadcaster to support that action.

Exactly. This is 2011, and the most dedicated customers know about foreign releases and follow them, expecting timely local releases, language and pricing issues aside. There will obviously be titles that don't get brought to certain regions despite there still being some demand.

Why punish the people who provide the revenue and word-of-mouth? Region-freedom is a crucial point for some of the most passionate customers, and pretending that it's 1990 and we might read about those wacky Japanese games in a magazine feature once in a blue moon is like a slap in the face.

Publishers and regional licensees need to get their acts together and coordinate releases to cater to their customers in a timely manner, not toss up unwelcome restrictions on what we can and can't play in order to cover for their own incompetence.

wsippel

Banned
mclem said:
Why's that a problem? Just amalgamate the systems, and rate appropriately for the official released region.
Wouldn't work. Not only the ratings differ, the criteria differ as well. For example, you could have full frontal nudity in a game in Germany and still get an USK 6 or 12 rating.

Luigiv

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
Just curisous,
What exactly do you think changed in Nintendo's mind between DS and DSI to include region locking?
Their official excuse is the introduction of parental controls, though that's probably BS.

Luigiv said:
Their official excuse is the introduction of parental controls, though that's probably BS.

Okay, what do you think the real reason is then? I mean ,unless there is price disparity between regions, I can only imagine them gaining profits from having no region locking.

Proven

I still figure the region locking excuse is due to their being an online shop. The only game console I've seen with an online store and no region lock is Sony's, and even then the store itself is still region locked. I'm surprised they don't want to go down that route, but it might be because online gaming. That's assuming if they hard coded which region each cartridge is supposed to connect to.

Dave Long

Banned
VOOK said:
How can someone not have a DS at this stage? I have 8.
Heh... seriously. My kids each had a DS and then bought a DSi with their own money after that! We had two phats before that and I have my own DS as well. So that's like... NINE in my house alone.

faridmon

Nintenod being Unnintendo is just depressing. So us Euro Gaf are just screwd? I mean, what if they release Oondan 3?

What the hell Nintendo?

Jagernaut

VOOK said:

I bought a used DS 2 months ago from someone on this forum just to play the 3 Castlevania games. The rest of the DS library doesn't interest me. Not everyone likes the same games, so not owning one is not a suprise.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
VOOK said:
I do own one, but I lent it to my brother for a trip to Japan. Now he's married and father of a cute 3 yo half-Japaneses Girl.

x3sphere

Clipper said:
The DSi hasn't been hacked yet and there have been people trying fairly strongly. If the rumours are true that Nintendo has totally changed their security mechanism to be super secure and not relying on the old system, then it means that even the DSi work so far will be useless. The 3DS could easily last as long as the PS3 did, or even longer before there is a hack.

Workarounds surfaced for Nintendo's flash cart restrictions in the DSi a few weeks after release. If you are referring to DSi mode, the environment in which DSi-specific and DSiWare titles run under, that was hacked by Team Cyclops last month. Interest was pretty low in it, which is the only reason I can surmise it took so long.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=415895

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Different ratings systems across regions is only a minor reason for regioning. If it was a big issue, why are the PS3/PSP/DS (+half of 360) region free?

It's primarily a retailer & region sales protection reason. I'm sure retailers and publishers complained about the most popular console (DS) being region free.

Taker666

faridmon said:
Nintenod being Unnintendo is just depressing. So us Euro Gaf are just screwd? I mean, what if they release Oondan 3?

What the hell Nintendo?

Despite the delays we get in Europe..I'd actually be more concerned if I was a US 3DS owner. NOE have done a better job of bringing the niche DS/Wii games over than NOA have IMO.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
DCharlie said:
because Japan's CEro rating is a load of up and down balls.

Games that get a Z here which are classed as adult may not get the equivalent in the west and likewise some games get B and C which would be considered a bit, um, "fruity" in the west wouldn't directly translate.

That said - why is this suddenly a problem now and, ugh, regioning on a portable. :/

I already posted the solution earlier in the thread.

If parental controls are turned off, ratings are not an issue. Allow any game to be played.

If parental controls are turned on, block all out of region games. Even if the out of region game is CERO A. Even if the out of region game is E for Everyone. Even if the game is exempt from classification. Even if the parental controls allow everything except CERO Z and the game is E for Everyone. If it's out of region and any level of parental controls are turned on, block it.

Imports get to import. Parents who give a shit get to give a shit. Everyone wins.

BowieZ

Banned
VOOK said:
Was pretty poor for a few years a while back after leaving university.

That and the only two games I was really interested in were offputting to me: NSMB because originally I disliked the graphics/art/music (I warmed to it in recent years); and Mario Kart DS because I was content with Mario Kart Wii, and wanted to master it, which takes devotion, and I wasn't too fond of the idea of karting on a small screen (but I've warmed to the idea of that now).

Taker666

Diablos said:
Stupid. Gives hackers an excuse to make exploits look all the more legitimate for exposing.

They don't need an excuse..they'll try and rip it open and enable piracy as soon as possible ....regardless of region coding. Look at the DS.

Thankfully for nintendo ....a few major regions have banned R4 cards and the like..so that will stop piracy reaching the masses (in those few regions at least).

Aren't the PS3 parental controls cross-region compatible? At least I assumed they were because it's not like they are set specifically to PEGI or ESRB ratings but instead have numbered parental control levels that correspond to certain ratings. For example PEGI 16+ is level 7 while an 18+ is 9 so I presume an ESRB M rated game is an 8.

Eteric Rice

http://www.gamrade.com/article-523-1.html

Uh oh.

According to Go Nintendo.

This one could be Nintendo's worst nightmare, if true. The details aren't all that clear, but we're hearing that a group is claiming that they've already gotten their hands on a 3DS, and after spending some time with it, they're quite sure that they can create a flash cart for the device. As you know, this would open up the platform to piracy, which is something Nintendo is trying desperately to stave off. Let's hope this one just stays rumor. Thanks to Lui for the heads up.

Xater

Taker666 said:
Despite the delays we get in Europe..I'd actually be more concerned if I was a US 3DS owner. NOE have done a better job of bringing the niche DS/Wii games over than NOA have IMO.

Delays are not the problem. EU misses still out on way more games than the US.

Xater said:
Delays are not the problem. EU misses still out on way more games than the US.

True, but the way things have gone this gen, there'll be at least one or two first-party games I want that NoE will publish in English but which NoA won't. Sigh.

Taker666 said:

Except that part when majority of Atlus RPGs were not published in Europe. No biggie, it's just 2 of SMT games...

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Eteric Rice said:
Is it really that hard to believe with the leaks lately?

It's almost like you can walk into China and get one. :lol
Hands on the device? It would happen sooner or later... Actually hack the system? Will believe it when I see it.

hipgnosis

Just heard about this. What the fuck is this shit Nintendo?

Definitely not buying a 3DS anytime soon now seeing how many games did not get a release here in Europe with the older DS.

Boney

Banned
Lonely1 said:
Hands on the device? It would happen sooner or later... Actually hack the system? Will believe it when I see it.
It's not even hacking, it's creating a flash cart that should be obsolete the moment the OS boots.. It's still a ticket to region free gaming though.

Prosper

Neo Member
Screw it, first the battery and now this. As an Australian importing is pretty much a must or you can wait 6 months for a game, like we're currently doing for Kirby's Epic Yarn on the Wii mind you.

I'm over it Nintendo, when I saw this I was saying "hell yeah day one, that looks sweet" now I'm saying "not even going to buy one, even if it does get hacked".

Catshade

Prosper said:
Screw it, first the battery and now this. As an Australian importing is pretty much a must or you can wait 6 months for a game, like we're currently doing for Kirby's Epic Yarn on the Wii mind you.

I'm over it Nintendo, when I saw this I was saying "hell yeah day one, that looks sweet" now I'm saying "not even going to buy one, even if it does get hacked".

The DSi put Australia and Europe/UK under one 'region', so -if they're still using the same region code for 3DS- you can still import from them, I suppose.

Top Bottom