• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Announces Nintendo 2DS

Tygamr

The problem with this announcement for me.

"Were targeting 5-6 year olds"

A system for people 22 years younger than me. If Nintendo isnt trying to appeal to me with new hardware....whats to come of the software....

Doubt the software will change. Mario appeals to young kids, and that's mostly what Nintendo releases on the 3DS anyways, so yeah. I do wish that would change though (Nintendo releasing craploads of Mario games), but it won't.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
The only thing I don't like about this is that the European version of the Red model is White and Red.

Given the Pokemon connection, that doesn't seem to make much sense. White and Blue is far more apt.

Mlatador

Banned
I don't think it looks awful but it's certainly a downgrade compared to the XL. That white/red one does look kinda sleek though. Of course it's Europe only! ha ha...

Is this coming out in Japan too? Haven't seen anything and Wii mini wasn't released there either

Well, it is a 3DS redesign, so of it would have always been a downgrade from the 3DS XL...

Dipswitch

That is one unfortunate looking handheld. I'm onboard with the 3D getting axed. I'd even put up with the mono speaker.

But its ugly as sin. I'd vastly prefer a single screen device over that monstrosity.

McHuj

I spend the day in meetings and this is what I come back to? WTF?

I actually thought earlier this morning that maybe I'll buy a 3DS, so I'm not sure if I want this or not. I'm just perplexed.

hunnies28

You people are so negative you are missing the real news here!

Nintendo solved the screen scratching issue of the previous 3DS models !!!

Look parents weighing the costs and benefits of one model at a certain price point vs a different model at a certain price point is not impulse buying.

You say people who have control over their money are impulse buyers, I would argue the opposite.

This is a budget model targeted at the parents of children, to purchase for their children. Whoever else's attention is captured and purchases this device is still outside of the target market.

You say there is no difference between an adult purchasing a $150 electronic device for themselves and purchasing a $150 electronic device for their children. I will tell you it is night and day. I dont care if something is fragile if I am buying it for myself, if I am buying it for my niece... different story.

You say parents are going to buy the kids what they want or not. True, but they may buy them an alternative to what they want which does the same thing at a lower price.

Just stop man, you are wrong every time you type something.

Seeing something at a "bargain" price induces impulse buying. This is the concept of impulse buying. This is why they sell the little potato chip bags at the cash register, not the big ones. The DS sold gang busters at that low sweet spot price, not just to 7 year olds...but to everyone. Why is this model any different?

And an adult can buy this at a lower price for himself if he deemed the 3ds too expensive for himself. You are making no sense. Fragility may be a factor too. Who the hell are you to say which factor is more important as a parent for himself, or as a parent for his kids? We got Gaffers who bought the 3ds for himself and bitch about the durability of it.

You also have absolutely no idea how fragile this product is yet as the general public hasn't used it yet, or used it for long enough to wear it out. You'd think they would have make the 3ds hinge more durable before you got to see that they didn't, since it was a known issue.

"You say parents are going to buy the kids what they want or not. True, but they may buy them an alternative to what they want which does the same thing at a lower price."

Okay? Is the kid 20 years old? Is he 25? Is he 2? Is he 15? Is he 16? Why is this sentence that you just wrote only apply to little kids? Why doesn't that sentence apply to oneself? Or a wife? Or a grandpa?

The target market is made up...as xenoflux might have revealed, completely made up by Gaf and game journalism, and not by Nintendo, which makes the claim that the 2ds is for little kids even stranger and more illogical.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
You can't have everything, and while it would have been smart for this to come with a case, Nintendo is pinching them pennies this generation like their lives depend on them
The issue for me is that the cuts sacrifice portability and have a massive impact on the user experience. The form factor is completely different and awkward. Instead of your hands being oriented around the touch screen they are pushed further up and separated from the lower screen almost entirely. The product winds up looking ridiculous, and brings the entire dual screen philosophy into question.

The design sensibility of handhelds is moving so far back it is embarrassing. Stack up the 2DS next to a Gameboy. I feel like the world is moving backwards or something.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Did they every say "its not for you"? In fact the marketing images show adults using it too.
They did say it is marketed as an entry handheld. But that doesn't mean it is restricted to that pool of audience only.

Like how lego is targeted for kids but not strictly restricted to kids.

alejo0121

What about the games where you have to close your ds?

Thinking about, another code, zelda: phantom hourglass, ...

It works detecting the console entered sleep mode, the sleep mode exists in 2DS by pressing a button, so it will work but it won't be intuitive because the game asks you to close the system not to enter sleep mode

I'm kinda into how weird this is. I think a 3DS Lite would have been a much better move, but I'll probably pick one of these up for novelty when they price dips below $100. Curious about how the buttons feel...

ah, so you know that 1 screen 2DS mockup?

capture2galjr.png

turns out it is one giant screen... just with plastic dividers and unused space lol

If there really is a big screen beneath, it wouldn't be difficult to cut off that portion of the plastic.

Oh, there I go again...

Nintendo have really lost their way!

A portable device that is no longer portable as no pockets will fit it!

They need a kick up the backside.

laughable

spliced

This release is worth it for the reactions alone, funniest thread since E3.

It actually looks more comfortable than the og to me and it won't have hinge problems either. Portability seems worse though.

tronic307

Fuck ! Why isn't it clamshell Design ?
Curious. I̶ ̶w̶o̶n̶d̶e̶r̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶t̶w̶o̶ ̶s̶c̶r̶e̶e̶n̶s̶,̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶b̶i̶g̶ ̶s̶c̶r̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶a̶ ̶d̶i̶v̶i̶d̶e̶r̶.̶

Davey Cakes

It reminds me of the Wii Mini but not as bad.

Honestly, I need to see it and maybe play it in person before making any true judgement.

As a cost-cut gift for kids, I guess it makes sense. Otherwise, Nintendo may have been better off pushing the 3DS XL, which was already a marvelous handheld.

SmokyDave

My first impression of the device wasn't great, if I'm honest. I knew it would sell but it didn't appeal to me directly. I took an immediate dislike to the design. After watching the vid a couple of times, I've changed my mind. It's quite a funky little thing and doesn't seem too bad proportionally in the hands of Smiling Ad Guy. I also groaned when I saw what had been cut, but on reflection it's nothing important. 3D isn't for everyone, and the existing models cater to people that must have it. Mono sound isn't great, but there is still stereo through headphones. The lack of a clamshell design will irk some, but not others. I like it, it's a 2D 3DS.

To be honest, if it had better battery life I'd probably trade my XL for one.

jmls1121

Banned
This release is worth it for the reactions alone, funniest thread since E3.

It actually looks more comfortable than the og to me and it won't have hinge problems either. Portability seems worse though.

This thread has been god damn hilarious, and deserves a wall of shame. People calling for the firing of Iwata over this redesign that will sell millions as a kiddie Pokemon machine.

Conezays

I get why they're doing it and don't think it's necessarily a bad idea. Design-wise though, I think it's pretty ugly. The fact that the screen is always open seems making a case a necessity...I definitely like being able to close my 3DSXL, it at least provides *some* sense of comfort. *shrugs*

Acrylic7

This is hilarious.

So why not just make a 3ds thats a Tablet (just one large ass screen) but with buttons?
It looks like a Fisher price toy
Fisher-Price-Logo-original.png

Harbin

Neo Member
If there really is a big screen beneath, it wouldn't be difficult to cut off that portion of the plastic.

Oh, there I go again...

Again, why? It's just blank pixels underneath. I doubt the screen is rendering more than what's visible.

C.T.

Lol seems I'm not the only one who needed to double check that this is real. But going this far... this is an acknowledgment, that a lot of people don't need 3D. Kind of embarrassing, that 3D was the main selling point. Nintendo is back to fisher price designs.

Pimpbaa

Obviously not for us. It's for lower income families like that Wii Mini. I just hope that there are not many cheap ass parents that can afford a 3DS for their kids, but get this instead for them.

hongcha

This will be great for kids under 6 years old who want to play some Nintendo games and toss it around like a Fisher Price toy. It will also be great for the parents of those kids who don't want to spend more than $130 on a video game system. I can't see it being appealing to any other demographic. The "kids under 6" market is huge around the holidays (hence the timing of this release), and Nintendo will get no competition from Sony there, so it's a good business move.

They did say it is marketed as an entry handheld. But that doesn't mean it is restricted to that pool of audience only.

Like how lego is targeted for kids but not strictly restricted to kids.

Yeah that is what I was getting at.

Obviously not for us. It's for lower income families like that Wii Mini. I just hope that there are not many cheap ass parents that can afford a 3DS for their kids, but get this instead for them.

That would be me. Sorry but like I have said before the price AND the fact that it takes the hinge problem away means I am way more comfortable getting the 2DS for my kids instead of a 3DS.

Pretty smart business decision on Nintendo's part. There are a lot of parents who won't pay $169.99 or $199.99 for the 3DS or 3DS XL. The 2DS at $129.99 extends the user base to the 12 and under segment that would normally not be getting a 3DS in the next several years.

The hardware is low cost (one piece, mono speaker, no 3D) so they likely make a profit from the get go, and sell even more high-margin 3DS games. And launching the same day as Pokémon X / Y is killer.

Like it or not, this thing is the cheap razor that will sell the blades.

jmls1121

Banned
So my 6 yr old wants a 3DS, and this is targeted towards kids, but how in the holy hell is a kid supposed to hold that?

Its not nearly as big as it looks. Plus, I think it would work pretty well sitting on a kid's lap.

The more I look at it, the more I think this is a killer design for young kids.

LuuKyK

And the award for achievement in bad design goes to Nintendo.

What the fuck is that? Its like they didnt even tried. Looks like a generic plain piece of plastic with random screens and buttons on it. :lol there are no words.

Gestault

So my 6 yr old wants a 3DS, and this is targeted towards kids, but how in the holy hell is a kid supposed to hold that?

Very much like you might hold a small book between two hands, or like an original 3DS. There are already press shots showing young kids comfortably holding the system. We've seen photos comparing it to the original style 3DS, and its face is slightly smaller. The shoulder buttons curve all the way around the edge of the system.

If your 6-year-old does want a 3DS, it would be a simple solution to let them choose which version they want, but take the price difference into account when buying games.

Top Bottom