• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Arcade Archives Series for Nintendo Switch |OT|

Ninja Dom

Produced by Hamster

1) Mario Bros, September 27th, 71MB download. 1 or 2 players, £6.29/$7.99
88f43ab8ccb22574d7b5b94c6bb84c81.gif

Coming Soon:

Vs. Super Mario Bros.
Vs. Balloon Fight
Vs. Ice Climber
Vs. Pinball
Vs. Clu Clu Land
Vs. Urban Champion
Vs. Wrecking Crew
Vs. Excitebike
Punch-Out!!

TannerDemoz

For clarification: are these the 'free' games that we'll get when Nintendo start charging for their online services?

TannerDemoz

No, these are actually published by Hamster as part of their Arcade Archives series.

Alright, cool. So we can hope they'll be something different? I was under the impression Nintendo might just reduce the price of these in the store and make these the free titles for their online.

Ninja Dom

Alright, cool. So we can hope they'll be something different? I was under the impression Nintendo might just reduce the price of these in the store and make these the free titles for their online.

No. Remember that these titles in this thread are for the arcade versions, not the NES versions.

Sapiens

Bad game to launch it with imo. Not a fan of hamster as compared to M2.

Just not into this at all.

They should really have found a way to get original donkey Kong here.

Lynd7

Bad game to launch it with imo. Not a fan of hamster as compared to M2.

Just not into this at all.

They should really have found a way to get original donkey Kong here.

Yeah, Mario Bros can be fun with two people, but yeah.. DK should have launched this. Nintendo should just buy out the company who has some of the DK rights or something.

Just do it Nintendo!

Yeah, less than the cost of an average lunch in NYC.

These are also priced the same as Hamster's other ACA releases on the Switch. Unless they start suddenly charging more for NES games I don't see the problem here?
I live in Chicago so that might be why our expectations differ...

Ninja Dom

Woah ahah, the Mario art from this era is always off model in the most fascinating ways. You'll never see a goomba or koopa that grotesque these days!

For Vs. Wrecking Crew, the 1984 Japanese arcade flyer had two nondescript heroes.
18161-Vs._Wrecking_Crew-3.png

Then Nintendo decided to change the heroes To Mario & Luigi.
vs_wrecking01.jpg

I'm really not interested in paying for any "classic" Nintendo arcade games. I really think Nintendo took off as a game developer after Super Mario Bros.

However, if they wanted to port their more recent arcade games like Mario Kart Arcade GP, F-Zero AX, Luigi's Mansion Arcade or Cruis'n Blast, I'm all over that!

Peltz

71 mb for Mario Bros?

I'm really not interested in paying for any "classic" Nintendo arcade games. I really think Nintendo took off as a game developer after Super Mario Bros.

However, if they wanted to port their more recent arcade games like Mario Kart Arcade GP, F-Zero AX, Luigi's Mansion Arcade or Cruis'n Blast, I'm all over that!

I don't think anyone would deny that Super Mario Bros was a major turning point for Nintendo and video games in general. But the classic arcade games are still enjoyable to play.

Yeah, less than the cost of an average lunch in NYC.

These are also priced the same as Hamster's other ACA releases on the Switch. Unless they start suddenly charging more for NES games I don't see the problem here?
DOesnt mean I can’t like the price. VC titles are overpriced, this is overpriced. I would love to have it but I’m not spending 8 dollars. I spent 8dollars and got a ton of games just the other day. The value proposition is not there for me.

Fiendcode

I'm happy regular ACA are finally Switch bound but I wish more than just Nintendo had been announced. I still want stuff like Bubble Bobble and Gradius.

Yeah, Mario Bros can be fun with two people, but yeah.. DK should have launched this. Nintendo should just buy out the company who has some of the DK rights or something.

Just do it Nintendo!
Ikegami Tsushinki?

From a quick googling their market cap is around $100m USD and Toshiba is their largest shareholder with a 20% stake. They mainly develop, supply and service broadcast equipment though so not much crossover with Nintendo's businesses. Also there might still be bad blood on a corporate level.

I really can’t beleive this arcade archives isn’t one package. Why are they selling these games separately?

I was extremely disappointed to see this.

It’s actually put me off even bothering £6 per game not worth it

Jazzem

For Vs. Wrecking Crew, the 1984 Japanese arcade flyer had two nondescript heroes.
18161-Vs._Wrecking_Crew-3.png

Then Nintendo decided to change the heroes To Mario & Luigi.
vs_wrecking01.jpg

Bahaha ace! Thanks for posting these, they're fascinating. Remarkably strange on the Japanese flyer as they're pretty clearly Mario + Luigi in game.

...looking at the US flyer...is Luigi doing a Kool-Aid Man there? ._.

Enzom21

$8 for Mario Bros?
nah-man.gif

I wish folks weren't willing to pay this ripoff price. Then maybe Nintendo would stop with this bullshit.

Lynd7

I'm happy regular ACA are finally Switch bound but I wish more than just Nintendo had been announced. I still want stuff like Bubble Bobble and Gradius.

Ikegami Tsushinki?

From a quick googling their market cap is around $100m USD and Toshiba is their largest shareholder with a 20% stake. They mainly develop, supply and service broadcast equipment though so not much crossover with Nintendo's businesses. Also there might still be bad blood on a corporate level.

Ok, they are bigger than I thought. But still, surely Nintendo could at least try and buy out the rest of the rights. Surely after this much time it'd be doable.

DOesnt mean I can’t like the price. VC titles are overpriced, this is overpriced. I would love to have it but I’m not spending 8 dollars. I spent 8dollars and got a ton of games just the other day. The value proposition is not there for me.

That's fair enough, and of course value is subjective.

I mean, there's no way in hell I'd pay $7.99 for Vs Pinball. But to play classic MB, SMB, Punchout on my Switch on the go? Yeah, for me that's worth it for less than the price of lunch here in NYC.

Do I wish they were cheaper? Yeah of course, but it's not that outrageous IMO.

Blam

$8 for Mario Bros?
nah-man.gif

I wish folks weren't willing to pay this ripoff price. Then maybe Nintendo would stop with this bullshit.

Yeah I was about to say even 8$ is too much for that I'd pay 2.50 for it max. I thought 8.99 was actually the price of all of them together. Which I don't understand why these are't bundled.

Ninja Dom

I think I’ll wait for this 1st.

Reasons.
Regarding Donkey Kong

Nintendo has never rereleased it (outside of the inclusion in that one DK64 level) because they probably don't actually own the rights to it.

Many of Nintendo's earliest arcade games, Donkey Kong included, were programmed by an outside company named Ikegami Tsushinki when Nintendo themselves didn't really have many in-house programmers. When Nintendo reverse engineered the code to make Donkey Kong Jr. by themselves, Ikegami Tsushinki sued Nintendo and argued that they owned DK's programming. They settled out of court.

Top Bottom