• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Badge Arcade |OT| Gotta Grab 'em All

Kinsei

Banned
Ugh, this is actually making me want to spend money. I ended up getting four free plays from the practice machine and after going in and seeing the Link Between Worlds badges I have to have them. I love the painting style from that game and I'd love to have my home screen be the wall screen with all the badges on it. I never should have let my curiosity about this get the best of me.

Ugh, this is actually making me want to spend money. I ended up getting four free plays from the practice machine and after going in and seeing the Link Between Worlds badges I have to have them. I love the painting style from that game and I'd love to have my home screen be the wall screen with all the badges on it. I never should have let my curiosity about this get the best of me.

I spent the two dollars to get the LBW theme, which gave me enough plays to get a bunch of stickers to match, plus a few from other sets. If you are interested in the theme anyway, I think it's a pretty fair deal. At least comparable to a normal theme.

So when do you get free plays? I downloaded it and used all five on the Mario practice crane last night when the news went up about the app launching. I went into the manual and it said that one crane would be the free play crane for the day, but when I cycle through all of my cranes they all still want me to pay $1.

Nevermind, I found it. It looks like the practice crane is a whole different crane.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Exit out of the main crane & go to the left. There'll be a practice crane you can try once per day.

Kinsei

Banned
I spent the two dollars to get the LBW theme, which gave me enough plays to get a bunch of stickers to match, plus a few from other sets. If you are interested in the theme anyway, I think it's a pretty fair deal. At least comparable to a normal theme.

I know, but I know this won't be the end of it. I'll hop on one day and see a sweet Animal Crossing, Metroid, Punch-Out!!, etc, etc. theme and want another complete set. I hate that I'm such a whale.

So when do you get free plays? I downloaded it and used all five on the Mario practice crane last night when the news went up about the app launching. I went into the manual and it said that one crane would be the free play crane for the day, but when I cycle through all of my cranes they all still want me to pay $1.

Go to the left and there will be a blue crane. That one is a practice crane that you can use for free and one of the fake badges in it will be a bonus badge, however like Yoshi's Island you won't know which is the red badge until you collect it. If you get the red badge you get three free plays on the real machines and you also get more depending on how many badges you get from the training machine (I got 12 so they added a free play making it four instead of three).

Exit out of the main crane & go to the left. There'll be a practice crane you can try once per day.

I know, but I know this won;t be the end of it. I'll hop on one day and see a sweet Animal Crossing, Metroid, Punch-Out!!, etc, etc. theme and want another complete set. I hate that I'm such a whale.

Go to the left and there will be a blue crane. That one is a practice crane that you can use for free and one of the fake badges in it will be a bonus badge, however like Yoshi's Island you won't know which is the red badge until you collect it. If you get the red badge you get three free plays on the real machines and you also get more depending on how many badges you get from the training machine (I got 12 so they added a free play making it four instead of three).
Thanks to both of you. I'm just dumb and over looked it.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
How do you get that darn Triforce? It's driving me insane!

So if I spend two dollars today, but don't have any interest in the Zelda theme, would I still be able to get whatever theme comes out next without having to spend another two dollars?

Or, if I've already spent a dollar (Which I have), does that mean I'll only have to spend another dollar for whatever theme comes next?

-Horizon-

Got another free 3 turn thing because I got over 30 practice badges. I didn't manage to get the Link badge in TLOZ hammer game though.

JoeM86

So if I spend two dollars today, but don't have any interest in the Zelda theme, would I still be able to get whatever theme comes out next without having to spend another two dollars?

Or, if I've already spent a dollar (Which I have), does that mean I'll only have to spend another dollar for whatever theme comes next?

It's only counting money spent within the time period for that theme's distribution

rpmurphy

Protip: hold X to see what badges you have gotten already and which ones you haven't.

Completed sets have a ribbon across the set icon.

Javier

So how do you guys play the game?

A) "I got the badge I wanted, let's move to the next crane!"

B) "I'm not leaving this crane until I get all the badges!"

Option A for me. Eventually I want everything, but I do give priority to the badges I want the most.

It's almost a good thing to me that there aren't a lot of easy ways to earn free plays. If you could earn plays through, let's say, an achievement-system (similarly to trading cards on Steam) I would probably end up spending money and obsessing over completing my sets. As it is, I'll be happy to just focus on the individual badges I want - already got Ravio's cute mugshot on my Home screen. :D

Skrams

So is the practice crane the same for everyone everyday? Today it was the hammer and LoZ format. I got 19/20 because I fucked up hitting a tiny octorok bullet on my last swing I think it was. I wonder what would of happened if I got them all. Maybe I would of gotten more than just 1 play. I probably shouldn't of wasted my 3 free plays yesterday on AC stuff when I could of done the SNES/GB stuff instead. I don't really feel like paying money for any of this overall, but it seems like a neat thing to check in on once a day. Too bad I'll probably never find stamps I care about placing anywhere since I have too many games and don't want to take up more room with pretty pictures of stamps instead. The most useful stamps to me seem to be the ones that actually launch software. Maybe Kid Icarus badges or something would sway me. Or stuff to put on folders that made sense.

rpmurphy

If you score all the badges in practice with less than 5 plays, then the badges reset and you can get more with the remaining plays.

-Horizon-

So is the practice crane the same for everyone everyday? Today it was the hammer and LoZ format. I got 19/20 because I fucked up hitting a tiny octorok bullet on my last swing I think it was. I wonder what would of happened if I got them all. Maybe I would of gotten more than just 1 play. I probably shouldn't of wasted my 3 free plays yesterday on AC stuff when I could of done the SNES/GB stuff instead. I don't really feel like paying money for any of this overall, but it seems like a neat thing to check in on once a day. Too bad I'll probably never find stamps I care about placing anywhere since I have too many games and don't want to take up more room with pretty pictures of stamps instead. The most useful stamps to me seem to be the ones that actually launch software. Maybe Kid Icarus badges or something would sway me. Or stuff to put on folders that made sense.

Yeah, got the LOZ hammer too.

I got all of them with 2 moves left and then they started a new crane to keep going until I ran out of moves. Then they tallied the badges. I didn't get a special practice badge but I got over 30 practice ones so they gave me 3 free plays.

So the special edition home menu themes from this don't have background music? Does that make them the only buyable themes that don't?

rpmurphy

So the special edition home menu themes from this don't have background music? Does that make them the only buyable themes that don't?
No, there are other 3DS themes that have no BGM. They may have special SFX only, rather (e.g. the Gundam or Non Non Biyori themes on the JP shop). I don't know of themes that have no BGM nor custom SFX like these bonus themes, but may there are.

maxcriden

It's almost a good thing to me that there aren't a lot of easy ways to earn free plays. If you could earn plays through, let's say, an achievement-system (similarly to trading cards on Steam) I would probably end up spending money and obsessing over completing my sets. As it is, I'll be happy to just focus on the individual badges I want - already got Ravio's cute mugshot on my Home screen. :D

Ughhhh I want Ravio ;___;

At least he's not expiring just yet...more chances to get him free....

batfax

Won't spend a penny on this.

...until the cute Nikki styled icon replacements arrive.

tumblr_nin39irE2p1qzp9weo2_500.jpg

Soooo good.

Yeah, the Swapnote set is definitely one of my most wanted. Really hope we get a healthy amount of the badge sets we missed by waiting so dang long.

SoulUnison

Banned
I knocked over 32 badges in the Practice Machine and not a single one was a Bonus Badge...

Oh well. I got, like, 9 Zelda badges and a couple of the Pixel SNES badges with the 3 Free Plays.

PXHQfAK.jpg

Used my free plays from yesterday and got all those. Only got one play today and got Gulley.

I can see the appeal, but if each of these sets cycle every couple of days, then that is a bummer. The limited time aspect would encourage you to spend money.

Do the themes really have no music? Cause that's super lame. It's a good thing I already bought the real ALBW theme a long time ago.

IT'S FINALLY HERE!
(Well... in two more days)

If this doesn't break 'gambling' EU laws, then surely Rusty's Baseball can release now too...?

What consoles badges are there (in Japan) besides the GB and SNES?

KingBroly

Banned
So how do you guys play the game?

A) "I got the badge I wanted, let's move to the next crane!"

B) "I'm not leaving this crane until I get all the badges!"

Option A for me. Eventually I want everything, but I do give priority to the badges I want the most.

I'm pretty much Option A.

I got the Streetpass Plaza one, but I can't seem to just have it replace the Common one in the menu. Both are there. I don't get it.

ChrisD

Will be fine with this until Christmas themed stuff comes out. The free plays are actually enough for me! But you throw Christmas at me and I've gotta' have it all... case in point, I bought five bags of M&M's last week for their design, lol.

I didn't realize this was brand new thing when I downloaded last night around midnight. I hadn't been on the eshop in ages. I got the five freebies and cleared out the trial Mario screen.

Same. Just grabbed the Hyrule NN3DSXL and saw it on the eShop. Figured it was there for awhile and grabbed it. Did not realize it just released.

OmegaFax

IT'S FINALLY HERE!
(Well... in two more days)

If this doesn't break 'gambling' EU laws, then surely Rusty's Baseball can release now too...?

Eh, it's kind of a fine line. One one had, I don't think it does because you're not winning real money. In essence, it is gambling because you're spending real money for chances at the crane game. It has some of the monetary and psychological factors of gambling. This, like Real Deal and Sub Wars, indulges in some pandering to get your money with a cartoon animal. To me, it seems desperate, more so since Badge Center is free advertising for Nintendo games (like, the rabbit will point out new releases when you start the game).

I spent a little more time with Nintendo Badge Center and I guess another way to look at is it you're getting a special weekly 3DS theme with a chance to get an assortment of custom icons for ~$2. However, Rusty's Real Deal Baseball, it's still crystal clear what you're getting in the end vs. Badge Arcade which is a chance game. The haggling in Real Deal is programmed and set with a minimum ... the entire game has a tangible minimal cost and clearly tells you what you get. The way the crane games are stacked more or less guarantees you'll get something on the first try + varying conditions after that. The game has a luring quality where the free plays aren't enough or if you're set on a particular icon.

Sure, there's free plays each day and the app itself is free. People will acknowledge what and play it without spending any money on it. Others won't. I love the idea of having icon packs and decorating the home screen but think Nintendo's execution is low. I get it. The company needs to adapt and create new revenue streams to complete in mobile. I'm just surprised people aren't a little peeved or upset. This, to me, is about as Konami'd as you can get without rattling a pachinko machine.

Kinsei

Banned
Alright last try, I've completely cleared out the board and only Link remains so I'll finish the first Link Between Worlds set!

WHY IS LINK GETTING STUCK ON THE DAMN HOOK?

Top Bottom