• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Confirms Miiverse for 3DS "Soon", Smartphone Apps for Network Also Coming

Haines

Banned
youre overthinking it

I dont think he is at all. Nintendo has been very quiet and has promised a lot and hinted a lot for a long time now. With low WIiU sales, incoming update, holiday season getting very close I expect Nintendo to pour a lil gas on sooner than later.

JoeM86

That's Game Freak. It would still be huge for Nintendo to put 3DS Miiverse out at the same time, don't you think?

Well Nintendo would be well aware of this and even though GameFreak do their own thing, Nintendo would have advised them on if something were to be possible at the same time so they could shift it to that.

Well Nintendo would be well aware of this and even though GameFreak do their own thing, Nintendo would have advised them on if something were to be possible at the same time so they could shift it to that.

I don't honestly think the two have bearing on each other, Pokemon's always sort of done it's own thing, it's circumvented Pictochat before. If Nintendo are going to launch Miiverse this year, they're going to do it with either Pokemon or Zelda, I would imagine.

WillyFive

B0oShgV.png

edit dp my bad

This doesn't mean anything unless it's an official Nintendo page.

Kokonoe

Banned
Pokemon TCG Online for PC, Pokedex Pro for iPhone, and now this. I wonder if Nintendo is eventually going to experiment with casual titles sometime in the future. Of course, not big time games, but it is kind of interesting to see.

I still believe miiverse and accounts will show up on a new version/refresh of the 3DS and shoehorned in on current versions.

It's been so long into the life of the system now...

JoeM86

I still believe miiverse and accounts will show up on a new version/refresh of the 3DS and shoehorned in on current versions.

It's been so long into the life of the system now...

I'm more concerned with the way these reports are reading. To me, it seems that this is merely just a portal to access the current Miiverse on the 3DS rather than a fully implemented 3DS version of it.

I'm more concerned with the way these reports are reading. To me, it seems that this is merely just a portal to access the current Miiverse on the 3DS rather than a fully implemented 3DS version of it.

Yeah that's how it seems to me also.

They will be able to only develop forward if they do it this way, instead of working backward and developing pages for games already released ( I'm sure they will do some of that, but not for every game)

JoeM86

Yeah that's how it seems to me also.

They will be able to only develop forward if they do it this way, instead of working backward and developing pages for games already released ( I'm sure they will do some of that, but not for every game)

Well there are Miiverse communities for Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion 2 and Mario & Luigi Dream Team, so it stands to reason

You're aware that they have just announced a hardware refresh, right?

Yes but that's not what I mean. I mean either a new device/platform that replaces 3DS or a upgraded model that has more power inside to facilitate the new OS functions of miiverse.

-Horizon-

Yes but that's not what I mean. I mean either a new device/platform that replaces 3DS or a upgraded model that has more power inside to facilitate the new OS functions of miiverse.

So you mean a 3DS successor? Because I think that would probably be the only time they upgrade the insides. Don't want to fragment your user base if some games use that extra oomph in the new version but regular 3DS' can't play it.

DaBoss

So you mean a 3DS successor? Because I think that would probably be the only time they upgrade the insides. Don't want to fragment your user base if some games use that extra oomph in the new version but regular 3DS' can't play it.

It wouldn't. It would be like the DSi to the DS Lite. All games playable, but only on the DSi you could use some features in games.

They would only use it for OS functions and minor improvements.
I don't think Nintendo of today cares about perceived fragmentation. They may just wait for a true successor. Who knows.

D-e-f-

Banned

Not gonna happen. 3DS is selling like hotcakes, a successor is years away and Miiverse for 3DS is imminent.

Riki

It's pretty obvious that they're changing the name of the page because they'll have both the 2DS and the 3DS out, which is more than just 3DS.

DigitalOp

Banned

So Miiverse isn't going to adopt 3DS titles??

I always figured the Miiverse communities for Mario Kart 7, Kid Icarus Uprising, and X&Y would be phenomenal..

Sendou

I refuse to believe that his will be the case. No way they worked almost 6 months longer than the web version for something like that. 3DS already supports screenshots like they work on Animal Crossing New Leaf. All that is left is to connect that to Miiverse. SURELY they could manage that. As for some other Miiverse functions. Who knows. I'd still like to be hopeful with this.

Riki

I always figured the Miiverse communities for Mario Kart 7, Kid Icarus Uprising, and X&Y would be phenomenal..

We really don't know how MiiVerse on 3DS will work. Presumably, it will be its own app. But we don't know if you'll be able to access it in game like you can on WiiU.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
All the little things add up. Usually you hear nothing from Nintendo at all. The last week was quite noisy. Something is building up.

What exactly is building up? I'm confused. Couldn't it just be because "Nintendo 2DS" is confusing?

It's pretty obvious that they're changing the name of the page because they'll have both the 2DS and the 3DS out, which is more than just 3DS.

Oh, beaten.

D-e-f-

Banned

I refuse to believe that his will be the case. No way they worked almost 6 months longer than the web version for something like that. 3DS already supports screenshots like they work on Animal Crossing New Leaf. All that is left is to connect that to Miiverse. SURELY they could manage that. As for some other Miiverse functions. Who knows. I'd still like to be hopeful with this.

We really don't know how MiiVerse on 3DS will work. Presumably, it will be its own app. But we don't know if you'll be able to access it in game like you can on WiiU.

They have already said that it will be like Wii U's Miiverse. They have also said that not everyone of the already released titles will support it. I'm assuming third party publishers would have to do some extra work to make their games compatible. And I wouldn't expect top hits like Steel Diver to be supporting it either (why? lol).

@Riki specifically: Why wouldn't you be able to access it in-game? All it does is open an app that connects to the web and displays a web-page specifically designed for the system. The 3DS can already use the internet browser while you game and you can look at a still shot from the game you are playing while you're in the "notes" app in the home menu. All they need to do is have a 3DS section in Miiverse and 3DS games automatically access those and then allow for posting of those stills in there.

They just have to bring the separate parts together.

JoeM86

The Wii U page is apparently changing its name the day after the 3DS page does?

kWTyD8L.png

Am I the only one thinking this is a horrible idea?

Even though there is the whole 2DS/3DS thing, by removing the console names from each individual page, you lose market awareness. Someone comments on Wii U post, then it shares across their friendlist that they posted in something about Wii U. Nintendo Console Gaming doesn't have that

Riki

They have already said that it will be like Wii U's Miiverse. They have also said that not everyone of the already released titles will support it. I'm assuming third party publishers would have to do some extra work to make their games compatible. And I wouldn't expect top hits like Steel Diver to be supporting it either (why? lol).

@Riki specifically: Why wouldn't you be able to access it in-game? All it does is open an app that connects to the web and displays a web-page specifically designed for the system. The 3DS can already use the internet browser while you game and you can look at a still shot from the game you are playing while you're in the "notes" app in the home menu. All they need to do is have a 3DS section in Miiverse and 3DS games automatically access those and then allow for posting of those stills in there.

I simply have full doubts. I know it functions as a webpage, and it should be easy enough to get done. But sometimes Nintendo can be weird on these things.

DaBoss

RAM. Have you tried to load pages with many images? It will take forever, and then on top of that it will not load all images. It's UI will need to be scaled down by a lot.

The 3DS has a terrible browser in general, and is piss poor compared to the Wii U which is really good as an HTML5 browser.
I simply have full doubts. I know it functions as a webpage, and it should be easy enough to get done. But sometimes Nintendo can be weird on these things.
lol

JoeM86

A friend got an e-mail about the Wii page changing to Nintendo Console Gaming, so looks like they'll merge the Wii and Wii U pages

D-e-f-

Banned
RAM. Have you tried to load pages with many images? It will take forever, and then on top of that it will not load all images. It's UI will need to be scaled down by a lot.

The 3DS has a terrible browser in general, and is piss poor compared to the Wii U which is really good as an HTML5 browser.

True, to be fair, though, the 3DS browser has gotten a lot better since one of the last FW updates. I can actually use it to read a little if necessary and the image posting site also works okay-ish.

If they make the thumbnails small enough it should be okay. Not every post has a picture added, too.

M3d10n

lol

Miiverse isn't Google Drive. The 3DS browser it's more than good enough for a mobile version of Miiverse website. Mobile GAF isn't that much different and works very well on it. Nintendo is the one hosting the images, so they them simply generate lower resolutions of them.

DaBoss

True, to be fair, though, the 3DS browser has gotten a lot better since one of the last FW updates. I can actually use it to read a little if necessary and the image posting site also works okay-ish.

If they make the thumbnails small enough it should be okay. Not every post has a picture added, too.

Yea, it definitely has improved and is in a much more usable state. Yea, the UI will most likely be done to suit the 3DS.

I do wonder why they blocked the 3DS web browser from using the existing Miiverse website.

BJWanlund

I'd love, love, love to use Miiverse. I have no Wii U but I will definitely buy a 2DS. But come ON Nintendo, a UNIVERSAL ACCOUNT SYSTEM, tied to your Club Nintendo account (in territories that have Club Nintendo), is SORELY needed. I will no longer be buying any digital titles until this is fixed. So come on Nintendo, do what we have asked you REPEATEDLY to do and FIX THIS.

Top Bottom