• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Details Splatoon 2 and ARMS E3 Tournaments

ggx2ac

Link: http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...ntendo-Details-Splatoon-2-ARMS-E3-Tournaments

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nintendo is bringing some incredible social, competitive tournaments to this year’s E3 video game trade show. Over the course of two days, fans around the world can watch online as both pros and amateurs compete for glory in the Splatoon 2 and ARMS games, which can only be experienced on the Nintendo Switch console. Fans can watch all the action at http://e3.nintendo.com, as well as on Nintendo’s YouTube and Twitch channels.

2017 Splatoon 2 World Inkling Invitational – Tuesday, June 13, Approximately 2:30 p.m. PT

For the first time ever, competitors from four different global regions will compete for world dominance in Splatoon 2. The four four-person teams – “Deadbeat” from the United States, “Dynameu” from Japan, “Rising Moon” from Europe and “Blue Ringed Octolings” from Australia/New Zealand – defeated their rivals in local tournaments that occurred in recent months.

During the show in Los Angeles, teams will battle in a round-robin Turf War tournament that will decide seeding for the next round. All teams will play one another and get a chance to scope out their opponents’ strengths and weaknesses. In the next round, teams will battle in the game’s Ranked Battle modes. The semifinal stage will be a best-of-five battle, while the championship will be best-of-seven.

The winning team of the live-streamed tournament will win global bragging rights and will have their names engraved on a sweet Splatoon 2 trophy. Announcers for the Splatoon 2 tournament will be avid Splatoon player, Nintendo fan, athlete and broadcaster Jordan Kent, Ashley Esqueda of CNET and the Nintendo Treehouse’s Eric Smith.

To help kids and squids get the most out of all the tournament action, prior to E3 Nintendo will release video content highlighting the tactics, strategies and storylines behind competitive Splatoon play.

2017 ARMS Open Invitational – Wednesday, June 14, Approximately 3:30 p.m. PT

This live-streamed ARMS competition will pit four expert competitive gamers from the fighting game community against E3 attendees who qualify during the event. E3 attendees can visit the Nintendo booth between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. PT on Wednesday, June 14, for a chance to win a spot in the finals. The top four competitors will be selected to face off against four pro competitive gamers.

The eight tournament participants will do battle until a champion emerges to win the coveted 2017 ARMS Open Invitational championship belt. Announcers for the tourney include Super Smash Bros. broadcasters D1 and VikkiKitty. The participating pro players are Alex Valle of Street Fighter fame; Kelsy Medeiros, aka SuperGirlKels, a professional Super Smash Bros. for Wii U player hailing from Canada; acclaimed Super Smash Bros. player Daniel “Tafokints” Lee; and French Super Smash Bros. player Marie-Laure “Kayane” Norindr, one of the world’s most decorated professional female fighting game players in history.

For more details about Nintendo’s tournaments at E3, visit http://e3.nintendo.com.

Update:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...tendo-News-Nintendo-Adds-Pokkén-Tournament-DX

Here’s a handy schedule of events for the week:

Tournaments
Name: 2017 Splatoon 2 World Inkling Invitational
Date: Tuesday, June 13
Time: 2:30 p.m. PT*

Details: For the first time ever, competitors from four different global regions will compete for world dominance in Splatoon 2. The four-person teams – from the United States, Japan, Europe and Australia/New Zealand – defeated their local rivals and gained the chance to take on competitors at E3.
Format: Teams will battle in a round-robin Turf War tournament that will decide seeding for the next round. All teams will play one another and get a chance to scope out their opponents’ strengths and weaknesses. In the next round, teams will battle in the game’s Ranked Battle modes, in addition to Turf War. The semifinal stage will be a best-of-five battle, while the championship will be best-of-seven.
Prize: The winning team will win global bragging rights and its members will have their names engraved on a sweet Splatoon 2 trophy.
Casters: Jordan Kent, Ashley Esqueda and Nintendo of America’s Eric Smith

Name: 2017 Pokkén Tournament DX Invitational
Date: Wednesday, June 14
Time: 10:30 a.m. PT*

Competitors: Eight YouTube and Twitch stars
Format: Crew battle with four teams and two players per team. Random draft order. The first person in each crew must choose one of the new characters; the other person can choose one of the original characters.
Prize: Winners will each receive a Pokkén Tournament DX art piece signed by Tsunekazu Ishihara, president and CEO of The Pokémon Company, and members of the development team.
Casters: Jordan Kent, D1 and VikkiKitty

Name: 2017 ARMS Open Invitational
Time: 3:30 p.m. PT*

Competitors: Four professional competitive fighting game players (Alex “CaliPower” Valle, Kelsy “SuperGirlKels” Medeiros, Daniel “Tafokints” Lee and Marie-Laure “Kayane” Norindr) will take on four E3 attendees who rise to the top by competing in Nintendo’s booth.
Format: Single-elimination
Prize: The coveted 2017 ARMS Open Invitational Belt

Nintendo Treehouse: Live at E3
What: Members of Nintendo’s Treehouse will once again delve into the details of the Nintendo Switch console and games for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems, including Super Mario Odyssey and Pokkén Tournament DX. Viewers will get an in-depth look at gameplay and hear behind-the-scenes details about Nintendo’s lineup for E3.
When: On Tuesday, June 13, the show starts right after the Nintendo Spotlight: E3 2017 presentation about 9:30 a.m. PT. On Wednesday and Thursday, June 14-15, the show starts about 10 a.m. PT.*
Who: Treehouse members, as well as developers and other game experts, including Tsunekazu Ishihara, president and CEO of The Pokémon Company. Ishihara and development team members will talk about the upcoming Pokkén Tournament DX game for Nintendo Switch.

*Times subject to change

phanphare

Banned
In the next round, teams will battle in the game’s Ranked Battle modes.

cool, so we'll be seeing what new/returning ranked modes will be in the game

To help kids and squids get the most out of all the tournament action, prior to E3 Nintendo will release video content highlighting the tactics, strategies and storylines behind competitive Splatoon play.

this is pretty great as well, Nintendo doing this thing right. competitive Splatoon is amazing.

Calm Mind

I'm so glad they got some new blood up there. I was getting tired or seeing Zero or Nairo at everything Nintendo.

Falchion

I love tournaments for games when they first come out before there's a firmly established meta, they are just crazy.

I mean ARMS is probably going to be fun. But I'm really looking forward to Splatoon 2's tourney more because of how great those teams are. Plus the videos detailing advanced play might come in handy when introducing newer players to the game.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
original.jpg

Soon and on TBS and ESPN2

dkeane

Random ... but does Nintendo not let you digitally preorder games on Switch?
I swear I did that on the WiiU. Want to preorder both Arms and Splatoon 2 digitally.

phanphare

Banned
Official Splatoon 2 twitter confirms that all 3 ranked modes from the first Splatoon will be at the E3 tournament https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/870626743551275008

there's some nice footage of the outdoor concert stage in that video, at least I'm pretty sure it's the concert stage

looks like a really cool map, definitely a step up from the two in the testfire

edit: those changes look pretty cool. I guess they realized inkzooka/rainmaker tornadoes weren't ideal

the tower control change with the checkpoints seems really smart

So the previous tournaments where these teams won was played with the first Splatoon right?

I wonder how big the gameplay changes and different controller will have on the participants. I'm sure they all played the Test Fire but that's not a ton of time.

Tower Control has checkpoints now? How do those work. Does it only go back that far unless an opposing team member is standing on it? I have to say, I'm a little disappointed there isn't a new multiplayer mode

phanphare

Banned
Tower Control has checkpoints now? How do those work. Does it only go back that far unless an opposing team member is standing on it? I have to say, I'm a little disappointed there isn't a new multiplayer mode

it'll sit at the checkpoint until the timers runs out. I think they said it would last 8-10 seconds.

Cuburt

The Splatoon 2 tourney sounds great. I was hoping that it wouldn't be all turf war and this is a good way to do it.

ARMS should also be fun to see people figuring out more high level strategies.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
So the previous tournaments where these teams won was played with the first Splatoon right?

I wonder how big the gameplay changes and different controller will have on the participants. I'm sure they all played the Test Fire but that's not a ton of time.
I think weapons available will make the winner a crapshoot if anything.

Nia

I have to side with Blue Ringed Octolings if only because of their name. Octopuses are the best.

983gIYF.jpg

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Holy shit, Dynameu lost one of their members and gained the heralded Dynamon for this tournament, wonder if he'll gel with the team in time.

ggx2ac

Update: http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...tendo-News-Nintendo-Adds-Pokkén-Tournament-DX

Here’s a handy schedule of events for the week:

Tournaments
Name: 2017 Splatoon 2 World Inkling Invitational
Date: Tuesday, June 13
Time: 2:30 p.m. PT*

Details: For the first time ever, competitors from four different global regions will compete for world dominance in Splatoon 2. The four-person teams – from the United States, Japan, Europe and Australia/New Zealand – defeated their local rivals and gained the chance to take on competitors at E3.
Format: Teams will battle in a round-robin Turf War tournament that will decide seeding for the next round. All teams will play one another and get a chance to scope out their opponents’ strengths and weaknesses. In the next round, teams will battle in the game’s Ranked Battle modes, in addition to Turf War. The semifinal stage will be a best-of-five battle, while the championship will be best-of-seven.
Prize: The winning team will win global bragging rights and its members will have their names engraved on a sweet Splatoon 2 trophy.
Casters: Jordan Kent, Ashley Esqueda and Nintendo of America’s Eric Smith

Name: 2017 Pokkén Tournament DX Invitational
Time: 10:30 a.m. PT*

Competitors: Eight YouTube and Twitch stars
Format: Crew battle with four teams and two players per team. Random draft order. The first person in each crew must choose one of the new characters; the other person can choose one of the original characters.
Prize: Winners will each receive a Pokkén Tournament DX art piece signed by Tsunekazu Ishihara, president and CEO of The Pokémon Company, and members of the development team.

Name: 2017 ARMS Open Invitational
Time: 3:30 p.m. PT*

Competitors: Four professional competitive fighting game players (Alex “CaliPower” Valle, Kelsy “SuperGirlKels” Medeiros, Daniel “Tafokints” Lee and Marie-Laure “Kayane” Norindr) will take on four E3 attendees who rise to the top by competing in Nintendo’s booth.
Format: Single-elimination
Prize: The coveted 2017 ARMS Open Invitational Belt

Nintendo Treehouse: Live at E3
What: Members of Nintendo’s Treehouse will once again delve into the details of the Nintendo Switch console and games for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems, including Super Mario Odyssey and Pokkén Tournament DX. Viewers will get an in-depth look at gameplay and hear behind-the-scenes details about Nintendo’s lineup for E3.
When: On Tuesday, June 13, the show starts right after the Nintendo Spotlight: E3 2017 presentation about 9:30 a.m. PT. On Wednesday and Thursday, June 14-15, the show starts about 10 a.m. PT.*
Who: Treehouse members, as well as developers and other game experts, including Tsunekazu Ishihara, president and CEO of The Pokémon Company. Ishihara and development team members will talk about the upcoming Pokkén Tournament DX game for Nintendo Switch.

*Times subject to change

Top Bottom