• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct 2015.5.31 - 7 pm JP, 6 am EDT, 3 am PDT

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I believe this is mainly to announce Project Giant Robot's new name and release since Nintendo updated its release date to Q2 at the last investor's meeting.

L~A

Hmmm... Capcom have their Monster Hunter event just before the Direct....... heh?

100% sure it's a coincidence, but damn it.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I hope they don't spoil too much stuff before E3...it's what ruined E3 2013 IMHO (alongside the presentation itself), but it's also true that 2013 saw far, faaar more pre-E3 announcements starting from January, so...let's see!

Also, I don't even know if it'll be a WW Direct - the time isn't the usual.

Yeah I think that was in 2013 which was the first year Nintendo didn't do a conference.

Japan has a good few things coming out soon anyway like Xenoblade X DLC, Rhythm Heaven, DGS and Fire Emblem.

Yeah, it looks like 2013 had a May 17th Direct, which places it about 25 days away from E3 (Nintendos' conference not E3 in general) that year, with this being 16 days away, so this is certainly closer to E3 than ever before, but it's not unprecedented to have a later May Direct.
They tend to go to press events, say nothing much and then drop bombshells in a Direct a week or two lately. I think both the 3DS XL and New 3DS were revealed this way,
Yeah, I know it's sporadic, but I honestly prefer to just have news appear than to have a date and a infinitely large amount of hype.

Hopefully not too much of this gets regurgitated at E3.

That Monster Hunter Gathering event is on May 31, too...

Hmmm... Capcom have their Monster Hunter event just before the Direct....... heh?

Possible Wii U port?

I believe this is mainly to announce Project Giant Robot's new name and release since Nintendo updated its release date to Q2 at the last investor's meeting.

If they updated it I guess it'll be on this direct. I still don't think it worth a separate release. Should just be part of Star Fox.

Josh7289

Well one of their summer games (Fire Emblem if) comes out not long after E3 so maybe they want to get some info out on it in a Direct that isn't to close to release? I dunno.

I agree, and that game isn't coming out in the West in 2016, so there's no reason to focus heavily on it at E3.

random25

I hope they don't spoil too much stuff before E3...it's what ruined E3 2013 IMHO (alongside the presentation itself), but it's also true that 2013 saw far, faaar more pre-E3 announcements starting from January, so...let's see!

What time was the Japan-only directs before for comparison?

jariw

Since it's games for Japan released during the summer that will be discussed, I don't think E3 would be affected?

Ansatz

They should showcase Woolly World here as I fear it'll get the least amount of coverage of all their big titles at E3. It's not really something they need to save for E3 either.

VegiHam

Interesting. Showing off DGS, DQ8, Rhythm Heaven, Fire Emblem and so on for Japanese fans because they aren't going to be at E3 because they're not coming west anytime soon?

He was in the last main one. Iwata introduced him and they talked more about 3rd party stuff and localization of Little Inferno and The Swapper

Yeah, short of an announcement of this being a WW direct, this should give us a pretty decent idea at what sort of stuff to expect.

Metroid Dread or bust.

At the least, they could talk about AC: Happy Home Designer, Yoshi's Woolly World, 3DS amiibo reader, Lucas, FEif, & Rhythm Heaven 3DS, which all have 'Summer' dates for Japan. Maybe throw in Art Academy U, too.

L95

I do not expect much, I'd be kinda sad if something awesome showed up, as it would imply that it was Japan only anyway. (or very far off for anywhere out of Japan)

Banned
Pokemon ORAS was announced in May last year, maybe we could see a possible teaser for "Z" ?

i'm afraid it's too late, the hype train is already on rails
kermit-yay-flail-o.gif

Chaos17

Everybody calm down. There will be no megatons before E3. Let's not get out of hand.

If it's true, then it's really strange that they do this direct now.
Realyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy strannnnnnnnnnnnnnngeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Jethro

If it's true, then it's really strange that they do this direct now.
Realyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy strannnnnnnnnnnnnnngeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Nintendo Digital Event is already full with great content so they are covering the summer releases in this direct.

Raitaro

Could someone add one of those real time time countdowns to the OP?

I'd like to check this direct out even if it's for Japan only and might as a result lead to frustration. I'm self-harming like that I guess.

Chaos17

Nintendo Digital Event is already full with great content so they are covering the summer releases in this direct.

They didn't announced the new 3DS last year at E3 and waited instead till fall to make a japan direct specialy for it >:)
Anyway, I don't care if there is no special announcement, I will still watch it.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

This will not be a January 13 Direct.
Think more about:

- Metroid Prime Trilogy announcement: the day before the E3, in the pre-Direct era, with a PR.
- Pushmo World for Wii U reveal, on May 28, few days before E3.
- Direct pre-E3 on 2012, talking about online/chat/WaraWara plaza Wii U functions

If anything, I think we'll see Project Giant Robot, with release on the eshop between the Direct and E3

BY2K

Membero Americo
It's not the first time they are doing a Direct close to E3, they did it in 2013. And that one was WW.

TreIII

More Monster Hunter Stories (3DS) and a possible Wii U port of MH4U/G to go along with the MH show happening that day?

Top Bottom