• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct: new presentation announced for tomorrow

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I don't want to start any shit so if this is just a pure argument between people I don't want to get in on it so just tell me it is strongly contested or not:

I have the impression that NX is going to be primarily a portable, but then have some kind of optional box you can buy to send it to a TV with enhanced resolution and maybe some basic graphical perks, utilizing both what they have learned with the Wii U gamepad and differing graphical output from the same game on N3DS over 3DS.

Is that a pretty common guess or am I way off?

sonto340

I don't want to start any shit so if this is just a pure argument between people I don't want to get in on it so just tell me it is strongly contested or not:

I have the impression that NX is going to be primarily a portable, but then have some kind of optional box you can buy to send it to a TV with enhanced resolution and maybe some basic graphical perks, utilizing both what they have learned with the Wii U gamepad and differing graphical output from the same game on N3DS over 3DS.

It's a common guess, but the NX is not going to be a hybrid.

NX is likely going to be a 2 SKU replacement of both the WiiU and 3DS

Its the new platform going forward into 2016-2017.... eventually

Based on the flood of software spread out over this year already after that direct... Its going to be a much slower and drawn out transition than I thought

It's a common guess but was struck down by Iwata himself forever ago. From the way it was described it will more likely have an OS that runs on both portable and handheld. Combine that with the fact that Zelda would have to be stripped down to run on anything but the top tier of mobile hardware from today and you have the handheld/dock idea being incredibly unlikely.

Well, I noted that you don't regard Paper Mario: Color Splash as a spin-off, so that probably informs our disagreements? Because while it's a "mainline Paper Mario title", it's still completely different from what people expect of the series.

Do "people" expect something different?

It's true that some people (especially here on gaf) want a PM-Game in the style of "A 1000 years door". But this is a minority.

The userbase or sales of Sticker Star are as big or perhaps now bigger than 1000-Years-Door. The best selling Paper Mario was Super Paper Mario on Wii and I personally think it is still the best PM game.

With this history, all "people" can expect from the Paper Mario series is that it changes with every new game.

Raitaro

I'll not give my full(est) impressions this time as they echo what many of you are already saying. I will give some highlights of my thoughts though, in random order:

- Paper Mario Color Splash: disappointing if it ends up not being a full-blown RPG again;
- Star Fox Zero: I remain somewhat "meh" about it, mostly because of how tame it continues to look (especially for a Platinum game) and how much it seems to cover the same bases as Star Fox 64;
- Star Fox Guard: I appreciate them actually finishing this concept and bundling it with the main game but I think this would have worked better as a bonus mode in Zero itself instead of as a stand alone game. Also, where is Project Robot?;
- Rhythm Fever Megamix: Great that it is coming to the West!
- New Kirby: looks cool but also very similar to the last few 3DS games. I wish it was on Wii U as well;
- MH generations: looks very cool as always, and right up my alley, but same problem as Kirby: why no Wii U version? This would be the (much wanted) equivalent to the Dark Souls series on PS3/4 to me on Wii U, i.e. a lengthy, expansive adventure game to keep the console hooked on for.
- Super Mario Maker: Fantastic new additions after so many costumes, but I remain bummed out that we are still not getting slopes and especially more level themes like desert, forest and winter. I fear we will never get those;
- Splatoon: Always good to see more added to this game, but as with SMM they seem to be avoiding what I (and I assume plenty of other) want the most: playable Octolings;
- Fire Emblem Fates EU date: quite a long wait but at least it is coming with the special edition;
- Mother 3: Where was it?!
- Snes VC: Cool, especially because I did buy a New 3DS at launch and have long since wondered why, but this is severly hampered if they'll never get 3rd parties to sign on for some Secret of Mana, Mega Man X and Super Castlevania, et cetera love.

Overall: not too disappointed but a lot of fluff and Japan(ese fan)-focused announcements it seems.

Based on the flood of software spread out over this year already after that direct... Its going to be a much slower and drawn out transition than I thought

Why do you think it'll be slow and drawn out?

The vast majority of upcoming software is already out in Japan. It's pretty clear that most of Nintendo's teams have been working on NX software for quite some time.

Do "people" expect something different?

It's true that some people (especially here on gaf) want a PM-Game in the style of "A 1000 years door". But this is a minority.

The userbase or sales of Sticker Star are as big or perhaps now bigger than 1000-Years-Door. The best selling Paper Mario was Super Paper Mario on Wii and I personally think it is still the best PM game.

With this history, all "people" can expect from the Paper Mario series is that it changes with every new game.

Sticker Star sold better than two games on a console with double the number of units sold. Do you seriously think it is a solid argument to say that Sticker Star is the proper way to go with the series because hey, it may be the worst-rated Mario RPG (Paper Mario or otherwise), but it outsold a GameCube game!

Sticker Star was a travesty. Forget gameplay flaws, they intentionally gutted the story. They did the equivalent of making a Mario game where you don't jump.

kunonabi

-Star Fox Zero and Star Fox Guard are looking great
-Paper Mario: Color Splash is looking kind of empty but I'll still bite
-My decision to import #FE has proven to be the right one.
-Good to have a date for M&S, looking forward to it
-Splatoon and Mario Maker updates are pretty damn solid

-Federation Force is still a pass
-Hyrule Warriors Legends is still a pass
-I wish Kirby was more experimental but it's probably still worth getting
-I won't lie, no Style Savvy soured the whole presentation for me

Overall, not the most pleased I've been with a direct but still not too bad.

Vena

Well, I noted that you don't regard Paper Mario: Color Splash as a spin-off, so that probably informs our disagreements? Because while it's a "mainline Paper Mario title", it's still completely different from what people expect of the series.

You'll see that I noted that I don't know what people define as spin-offs vs. not. I have never played a Paper Mario, and to me this seems like a Paper Mario game. That said, even if you want to call it a spin-off it then just moves it into the Pokken category (this is clearly not a budget project, too many new assets), and its also just one title.

-Star Fox Zero and Star Fox Guard are looking great
-Paper Mario: Color Splash is looking kind of empty but I'll still bite
-My decision to import #FE has proven to be the right one.
-Good to have a date for M&S, looking forward to it
-Splatoon and Mario Maker updates are pretty damn solid

-Federation Force is still a pass
-Hyrule Warriors Legends is still a pass
-I wish Kirby was more experimental but it's probably still worth getting
-I won't lie, no Style Savvy soured the whole presentation for me

Overall, not the most pleased I've been with a direct but still not too bad.

Gawd if you ever needed a prime example tonretire 3DS hardware

Just have to look at FF and Hyrule Warriors

Ugh. The pain

Why do you say that? Are you saying that because the Wii U is still get software this year, it's hard for you to see how a Wii U replacement could launch this fall/winter?

NX console this fall, NX handheld next year (IMO)

I agree with this.

MK_768

Why do you think it'll be slow and drawn out?

The vast majority of upcoming software is already out in Japan. It's pretty clear that most of Nintendo's teams have been working on NX software for quite some time.

This. It's as clear as day.

If anything is getting "drawn out" it will be the 3DS.

The Wii U has already been drawn out though lol. It's replacement comes later this year.

NX console this fall, NX handheld next year (IMO)

This makes the most logical sense.

You'll see that I noted that I don't know what people define as spin-offs vs. not. I have never played a Paper Mario, and to me this seems like a Paper Mario game. That said, even if you want to call it a spin-off it then just moves it into the Pokken category (this is clearly not a budget project, too many new assets), and its also just one title.

One title in a vacuum sure. Overall though, it's not just a matter of spin-offs, it's spin-offs and low-budget titles. Let's not forget Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash.

Vena

One title in a vacuum sure. Overall though, it's not just a matter of spin-offs, it's spin-offs and low-budget titles. Let's not forget Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash.

I didn't. I listed it.

Nothing here strikes me as "super budget". Not like asset recycled or content starved ACAF or Mario Tennis Ultra Smash.

I think you're over-valuing a handful of bad games while ignoring everything else to suit the image you're trying to paint. As I said, we only hear ad nauseum repetition of Ultra Smash and AC:AF while people conveniently ignore XCX, Yoshi, and SMM all releasing around one another.

I outright just don't even really agree with this notion for the 3DS, and especially not going into its rich 2016.

Why do you say that? Are you saying that because the Wii U is still get software this year, it's hard for you to see how a Wii U replacement could launch this fall/winter?

I agree with this.

Just the way the direct was presented... like it just seems like Nintendo is setting up for "just another year". I know thats intentional but its weird with an NX announcement looming and a complete shift in company structure, policy and philosphy

Me too

After seeing the 3DS lineup I doubt they would get in its way this year unless there was some significant crossover

I didn't. I listed it.

I think you're over-valuing a handful of bad games while ignoring everything else to suit the image you're trying to paint. As I said, we only hear ad nauseum repetition of Ultra Smash and AC:AF while people conveniently ignore XCX, Yoshi, and SMM all releasing around one another.

I outright just don't even really agree with this notion for the 3DS, and especially not going into its rich 2016.

We don't conveniently ignore them, we factor in that in 2015, the average score for a Nintendo game was its lowest in more than a decade (based on Metacritic). Sure, 2015 had XCX, Splatoon, Yoshi, Mario Maker, etc., but 2014 had Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart, Smash, Tropical Freeze, Kirby, etc., and 2013 had ALBW, 3D World, Pokemon X/Y, Fire Emblem, etc. The only difference is that 2015 had way more bad or mediocre games than previous years.

MK_768

We don't conveniently ignore them, we factor in that in 2015, the average score for a Nintendo game was its lowest in more than a decade (based on Metacritic). Sure, 2015 had XCX, Splatoon, Yoshi, Mario Maker, etc., but 2014 had Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart, Smash, Tropical Freeze, Kirby, etc., and 2013 had ALBW, 3D World, Pokemon X/Y, Fire Emblem, etc. The only difference is that 2015 had way more bad or mediocre games than previous years.

This and XCX, Splatoon, Yoshi, Mario Maker were games announced more than a year before their release. Splatoon may have been about a year, not 100%. They had decent sized development cycle.

That trash we saw at the end of last year were games announced months before release if I recall correctly. They were rushed and lacked that Nintendo quality.

Also, XCX wasn't exacly made by Nintendo but really Monolith. Not the same.

Oddduck

Also, Bill.

Bill, Bill, Bill... mix it up, brah. Sit in a chair, at a desk, in a rollercoaster, something besides just looking at the audience and reading off the script in a monotone voice.

I'm surprised they didn't mix it up with different hosts.

Even when Iwata was alive, he didn't do the entire Direct. They would switch around to different people (like Reggie, Bill Trinen) to keep things interesting.

This and XCX, Splatoon, Yoshi, Mario Maker were games announced more than a year before their release. Splatoon may have been about a year, not 100%. They had decent sized development cycle.

That trash we saw at the end of last year were games announced months before release if I recall correctly. They were rushed and lacked that Nintendo quality.

1. Monolith is Nintendo.

2. I don't know what you're trying to argue at me :V I'm saying that 2015 had only as many good games (if not less) than past years, and a lot more bad games.

Vena

I am not arguing that, I am arguing that people have drawn focus on said titles over everything else. As noted, they had a poor 2015 which has stuck to people's heads and they now willingly ignore everything else to claim that everything is somehow now spin-offs or low budget or what have you (or my current favorite that IS is creatively bankrupt because a game they know nothing about doesn't strike their fancy while Fates just released and is filled to the brim with creativity. This is some next level cognitive dissonance.). You're making my point in effectively brushing aside some absolutely astounding titles from 2015 to talk to me about metacritic scores. Averages work their way down from a high a lot more easily than they do up from a high.

I also don't even know what this "way more" means in a quantifiable sense. 2015 is unfairly being weighed down by ACAF and D3rd tirefires if you want to use metacritic.

Azriell

Pretty happy with this Direct, although honestly I wish they would take some of that Wii U effort and put it towards 3DS. Unless/until they come out and announce NX backwards compatibility for Wii U, I just can't get excited about Wii U announcements anymore. I'm not going to waste time and energy by shitting on the Wii U, but it would be fair to say that I'm pretty much over it.

SNES VC is exciting to me. I'd probably be down for buying at least half of what they showed.

Kirby looks cool. I would only buy Metroid FF if it supports download play, and even then I'm unsure. MP focused games are not something I really care about on 3DS. I'm very interested in Hyrule Warriors but I'm waiting on reviews before I can say either way.

See, Monolith isn't an outside company like PlatinumGames or Camelot. Ever since Namco sold its stocks back in 2007, they've been a full first party developer for Nintendo. They're technically on the same level as EPD or Retro Studios.

Just realized two things.

1. If Trev's leaks are correct and he's been on the money so far, then we now know the only new Wii U game this year; Paper Mario: Color Splash. And they got that out of the way early. Makes me think that this is evidence towards them putting even more focus on NX at E3.

2. This Direct was absolutely NOT in a new format. So that means they're likely saving this reboot of sorts for the NX news (whether they use it to unveil it or not I don't know). I would've thought the first one in 2016 (this one) would've been in the new format, but yeah, it wasn't.

RedToad64

I don't get the hate. Almost every game interested me in some way and I am super happy that Rhythm Heaven is coming over, finally.

Andyliini

I enjoyed the Direct (EU version). Sure, it didn't have many earth shatterin reveals, but I liked most of the games on the show, and have this year's first halfs gaming-schedule pretty much nailed down. I also love Shibata, he was great host once again.

There probably won't be another Direct before before E3 (outside of game-specific Directs), but I guess that's OK.

Top Bottom