• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct: new presentation announced for tomorrow

So do people retroactively consider Super Mario Galaxy 2 a "cheap cash-in filler game" now? Metroid Prime 2: Echoes? Majora's Mask?

Just want to know so I can get a sense of where this is all coming from.

I don't get what you mean. MP2, SMG2, and MM are considered among the best of their series, and they are all mainline entries. People are taking issue with:

1. A lot of Nintendo's games are spin-offs lately
2. A lot of them feel like low-budget offerings
3. Some of them have proven to be mediocre or even bad

Glass Rebel

Thoughts on the European Nintendo Direct:

- Star Fox Zero looks much better than before. I still think it doesn't quite stack up to what I would have expected or wanted from a Star Fox reboot in 2016 but I'm more confident in it than I was before. No interest in Guard however.
- Their continued support of Splatoon and Mario Maker is admirable. I really can't wait to see how they're gonna follow these up on NX.
- Their reason to leave the Japanese VO for #FE is hilarious. Not that I'm complaining since I play subbed when possible but it's clear to me that they are just saving money with this. Regardless, the release date is way earlier than expected, I was hoping for September at the earliest so this is a positive.
- Paper Mario: Colour Splash is a massive disappointment. It looks gorgeous but their choice to make it more like Sticker Star is baffling to say the least. Worst case this will be another game where fighting is pointless. Looks like no partners and no RPG elements... just awful.
- Still don't know when Swiss citizen will be able to register for this My Nintendo/Miitomo shit.
- Their handling of Hyrule Warriors is confusing and frustrating. I wish they would just release Legends proper for Wii U than this half-assed solution.
- I played the Yokai Watch demo earlier. It looks pretty good and seems to have high production values. I am not sure about the battle system just yet because it was so incredibly limited in the demo so I'll be reading some reviews before I buy it.
- Metroid: Federation Force continues to be an unimaginative snore fest. What a waste of the Metroid franchise and Next Level Games' talent.
- SNES VC on New 3DS is a complete joke. How many times do they expect us to buy these games when we don't even know how they're gonna handle the transition to NX? As much as I want Earthbound on my 3DS, this is a definite pass for me.
- The Fire Emblem: Fates release date is a disappointment to say the least. How many Fire Emblem entries do I have to replay to pass the time until release? For a franchise that has become a tentpole release, they're still treating it as an afterthought in the West. At least I got my Special Edition pre-ordered.
- Happy to see Dragon Quest VII and Monster Hunter Generations. I honestly didn't expect to see the latter in the West like ever. Do we know what the MH4 bonus content is?
- I did not expect Rhythm Paradise at all. That's a definite buy.
- Kirby looks cute but it's Kirby. Not really my jam. Amiibos don't interest me.

General:

Overall a slightly above average Nintendo Direct. Ignoring the leaks, it had some cool new announcements but it also showed how Nintendo is still clueless about several things.

As I mentioned earlier, the Paper Mario reveal was simply terrible. We don't know exactly what the game will look like but so far everything they've shown points to a Sticker Star situation. They can't seriously think that this is actually what their fans want. It's doubly frustrating because graphically the game looks lovely. The way they've handled Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi is just frustrating and shows that they don't know what to do with either franchise. Just let both die please and put Intelligent Systems and AlphaDream on different things. The well has run dry on either series.

The SNES VC thing doesn't exactly instil a ton of confidence in their handling of NX and account system. We already know that they can do cross-buy stuff so I seriously don't get why they're being so stubborn about this. They could have earned a lot of goodwill with this.

Low key, you could tell that the generation is winding down. It felt like they scraped together whatever they could find, luckily some of it actually looks good. The hopeless optimist in me is looking forward to whatever they have planned for the NX launch.

I'm sold on anything that's on Wii U. Star Fox Zero + Guard, Zelda TP HD, Pokken, Mario and Sonic Rio, Paper Mario U and that funky FE game. I still love my Wii U's.

Those 3DS games look fun, too, but I'm done with that handheld after owning it since launch. The NX Handheld is where it's at.

Nice Direct! Congratulations Nintendo!

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Some people just don't seem to understand what Directs even are and I expect some people look at a Nintendo Direct announcement as "They must have something BIG that can't wait to show us!" when in reality its more along the lines of "Lets get everyone up to date with our schedule". Not to say that we never get big announcements but these directs in general are created in spite of them not because of them. Just go in expecting to get updates, release dates and trailers of things we know of and and then if we get more that's a pleasant surprise, no?

That's right. That's pretty much what I'm doing with the Direct. I admit that I was kinda spoiled by Smash Bros reveals for last two years but now it's just back to normal Direct without any Smash reveals which is unusual strange for me because I guess it was a habit for me to hoping to see Smash Logo in the Direct.

Vena

I don't get what you mean. MP2, SMG2, and MM are considered among the best of their series, and they are all mainline entries. People are taking issue with:

1. A lot of Nintendo's games are spin-offs lately
2. A lot of them feel like low-budget offerings
3. Some of them have proven to be mediocre or even bad

I am not sure I get this "a lot" part. I think the problem is more that they are more noticeable because people make it so rather than for any other reason or are under the Mario umbrella where its hard to even discern what is a spin-off and what is a new branched IP (like Paper Mario or M&L or Mario Kart).

Let's just look at the Direct for a moment:
  1. Star Fox Zero
  2. Star Fox Guard
  3. Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games
  4. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
  5. Lost Reavers
  6. Paper Mario Color Splash
  7. Pokkén Tournament
  8. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
  9. Mini Mario & Friends amiibo Challenge
  10. Azure Striker Gunvolt 2
  11. Hyrule Warriors Legends
  12. Disney Art Academy
  13. Bravely Second: End Layer
  14. Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past
  15. Monster Hunter Generations
  16. Metroid Prime: Federation Force with Mr. Tanabe
  17. Rhythm Heaven Megamix
  18. Kirby: Planet Robobot

Of this list, these games are new entries in their respective/original series (whether you like them or not is immaterial):
  1. Star Fox Zero
  2. #FE
  3. Olympics Sports
  4. Lost Reavers (eShop)
  5. Paper Mario Color Splash
  6. Azure (eShop, third party)
  7. Bravely Second (third party)
  8. DQVII (third party)
  9. MHX (third party)
  10. Kirby
  11. Disney Art Academy

And of this is the spin-offs/compilations:
  1. Star Fox Guard (day and date with its parent release)
  2. Pokken
  3. Rhythm Heaven Megamix
  4. Metroid Prime: FF
  5. Hyrule Warriors Legends
  6. Mini Mario

Nothing here strikes me as "super budget". Not like asset recycled or content starved ACAF or Mario Tennis Ultra Smash. If anything, the bigger issue really is that you can see the death of the WiiU in writing but what's on the plate doesn't strike me as obviously low budget aside from Lost Reavers/Olympics/Mini Mario (a f2p game). People focus on things they dislike that strikes well with their narrative like Federation Force, or only ever mention ACAF and Ultra Smash while conveniently ignoring games like XCX or Fates or Yoshi (all released within similar time frames of one another). Heck, some of these spin-offs (Pokken) are probably actually rather pricey. And I highly doubt Paper Mario WiiU is budget, those are new assets and that costs money.

And some people take great offense with TriForce Heroes, Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer, and Paper Jam who are most definitely games made from recycled assets and on a budget but none of them are really offensively bad for anyone and for, their fans, were actually probably good experiences. Heck, Paper Jam was my first M&L and I thought it was pretty good fun RPG but I had no expectations other than cursory curiosity on the series. And from what I've heard of Dream Team's run time, probably a step up from its predecessor because 80 hours would have murdered my enjoyment of a game with that formula.

Edit: After compiling the list and then looking at recent releases, its actually fairly evenly split between major releases and spin-offs. Not to mention that some of these spin-offs are outright major full featured games like Pokken. So this whole "spin-off" distinction is even more befuddling in its attempted meaning.

maxcriden

Maxcriden stealing the gold medals

I was hoping someone would catch my cameo :)

74095-a-competicao-entre-sonic-e-mario-620x0-1.jpg

Nothing here strikes me as "super budget". Not like asset recycled or content starved ACAF or Mario Tennis Ultra Smash.

It looked like Kirby was recycling the engine and many of the assets. The mech addition will force a lot of changes, flying levels, etc. But it did seem like there's some recycling going on there.

Vena

It looked like Kirby was recycling the engine and many of the assets. The mech addition will force a lot of changes, flying levels, etc. But it did seem like there's some recycling going on there.

I automatically assume Kirby games to be the best thing ever, if anyone says otherwise...

...I blow up their house.

But yes, you're right. It is a recycled engine and a lot of recycled assets of Triple Deluxe, heck they even said as much. The robot and a lot of items are obviously new assets/additions but the game is using pre-made content for a lot of its development, which is why its coming so fast after DDD.

AzaK

Wii U
UK: 22/04/2016
US: 4/22/2016
StarFox Zero & StarFox Guard

-----
UK: 24/06/2016
Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games

-----
US: 6/24/2016
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE

-----
UK: 2016
US: 2016
Paper Mario: Color Splash

-----
3DS
Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games

-----
UK: 15/07/2016
Disney Art Academy

-----
UK: 20/05/2016
Fire Emblem Fates

-----
UK: 10/06/2016
US: 6/10/2016
Kirby: Planet Robobot

-----
UK: Summer 2016
US: Late Spring 2016
Metroid Prime: Federation Force

-----
UK: Summer 2016
US: Summer 2016
Monster Hunter Generations

-----
UK: 2016
US: 2016
Rhythm Paradise Megamix

Poor Nintendo. So laughable.

I'd just like to say that... I'm upset that the rumors of Nintendo trying to get Undertale out on their systems didn't turn out to be true!

For now, at least.

I am underwhelmed, by content and sheer look of that direct. For the love of good Nintendo, don't use that shitty format to present your NX, pleeeeeease....

Well, I understood that the had to got rid of all those announcements before dealing with NX, the upcoming media events have to be focused on their new generation. Kinda stupid to start a show with a NX bang and end it with a WiiU bombshell...

Neoxon

I am underwhelmed, by content and sheer look of that direct. For the love of good Nintendo, don't use that shitty format to present your NX, pleeeeeease....

Well, I understood that the had to got rid of all those announcements before dealing with NX, the upcoming media events have to be focused on their new generation. Kinda stupid to start a show with a NX bang and end it with a WiiU bombshell...
Usually E3 Digital Events have more thought put into them when it comes to presentation. Don't expect regular Directs to do unique stuff like Muppets scenes or Robot Chicken sketches. That being said, Nintendo still has some stuff to announce for the 3DS & the Wii U (Style Savvy 3's localization, Mother 3's long-awaited localization, Detective Pikachu's localization, Sun/Moon info, etc.).

SegaShack

Why do people expect so much out of an event that was announced the day before? No wonder most game companies try to be secretive with their announcements.

Peru

The 3DS is very, very well-served this year. Likely it's last full year, at least, and with many big franchises, Japanese rpgs, quirky asides, varied genres (AAA rhythm game).

I think the Wii U line-up is quite impressive, actually, since Nintendo has to serve it on their own and they've obviously got bigger fish to fry at the moment in launching their various new platforms.

Cartoonish parody levels to people acting disappointed like this was an e3 conference.

Also, Bill.

Bill, Bill, Bill... mix it up, brah. Sit in a chair, at a desk, in a rollercoaster, something besides just looking at the audience and reading off the script in a monotone voice.

Or just change Bill. Bill is ok in a short segment, but he isn't host material.

It didn't help that he looked like straight out of a home video slapped on a white background.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I didn't expected a direct with so much contents.
They really cleared all the 3ds and wiiu news left in their life cycle except the price cut and some 3ds localization (like DQ or AA6 )

time to enjoy those latest games waiting for a NX e3

Usually E3 Digital Events have more thought put into them when it comes to presentation. Don't expect regular Directs to do unique stuff like Muppets scenes or Robot Chicken sketches. That being said, Nintendo still has some stuff to announce for the 3DS & the Wii U (Style Savvy 3's localization, Mother 3's long-awaited localization, Detective Pikachu's localization, Sun/Moon info, etc.).

Well, I hope so, cause this one was just the worst. E3 is still 3 month away, so maybe they'll do another WiiU/3DS focused Direct before or even after that event. I mean, the covered all games which are supposed to be launched this summer or earlier, right?

A par for the course direct really, just what i was expecting, just winding down down on both systems now. Surprised that it was 41 minutes long.

Nothing in the direct really grabbed me as buy me as previous directs have, quite a few wait for reviews titles though. 3DS seems to be going out with a good push though.

Looking forward to the NX reveal now.

Kouriozan

I'd just like to say that... I'm upset that the rumors of Nintendo trying to get Undertale out on their systems didn't turn out to be true!

For now, at least.
Not even a month ago, Toby Fox said his engine is not compatible with the Wii U and that the game have to be redone.
If it happens it'll take a lot of time.

LAA

Rhythm Paradise was a great announcement. What did disappoint me was no Picross 3D 2 announcement. Have hope its coming though.

Champion

That 3DS lineup though!

Azure Striker Gunvolt 2
FE Fates Revelation
Bravely Second
DQVII
MH Generations
Rhythm Heaven Megamix

tumblr_lnb3spZ8Hv1qcs7rro1_500.gif

And that's not even counting other stuff that we know is on the way like AA6, Pokemon, DQVIII, and Zero Escape 3.

tumblr_m8mtl0cPuJ1qe4iooo1_500.gif

Akiller

Federation Forces,MHG and Paper Mario still have no dates. So will we see them again @ Nintendo E3 direct?Maybe it would be better to announce the dates and other info before it so they will finally go full NX.

Edit: After compiling the list and then looking at recent releases, its actually fairly evenly split between major releases and spin-offs. Not to mention that some of these spin-offs are outright major full featured games like Pokken. So this whole "spin-off" distinction is even more befuddling in its attempted meaning.

Well, I noted that you don't regard Paper Mario: Color Splash as a spin-off, so that probably informs our disagreements? Because while it's a "mainline Paper Mario title", it's still completely different from what people expect of the series.

Kirby games are notorious for asset recycling

They were using GBA assets from Nightmare in Dream Land until well into the DS era.

Saoshyant

Is there anything that man cant do?

Release Devilish Brain Training in Europe. It's been TBD for three years in every NOE financial report, and it's been as long available on retailers for preorder with a constantly moving release date.

He's still a hilarious guy to watch the NOE Directs for, but you asked :)

Top Bottom