• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Directs vs. E3 Blowout: Which style do you prefer?

LeleSocho

Banned
Considering that for me the last 5 or so E3 didn't delivered shit i'm going to say that i prefer the Nintendo Directs type.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
What I love about Nintendo Directs are that they can literally come any day- so every morning I wake up and check gaf I could awake to megatons.

Vibed

I prefer the bite-sized Nintendo Direct. It allows for more discussion than a big blowout where attention is put on only a few titles.

I remember Fire Emblem Awakening and Mario Tennis being announced in a Nintendo Direct too, and I think those were pretty big at the time.

PhantomR

Banned
Directs are awesome. I would like them to be slightly longer...maybe an hour or 45 minutes. But other than that, I much prefer Nintendo Directs.

antonz

Doesn't that mean that you'd prefer they save things for E3 so the E3s can deliver shit?

Biggest issue with E3 is MS and Sony are shit at keeping stuff under wrap and Nintendo is cyclical so you can almost predict good years and bad years. Have Nintendo on its off year on top of the leaky fellows and its a bad E3

If one game I was looking forward to got announced every month, that would definitely be preferable to waiting an entire year for maybe half as many.

Azure J

Both with strong preference towards Nintendo Directs. At least it gives people stuff to talk about in the down time.

rouken

33298.JPG

as stated by some, the amount of directs nintendo releases throughout the year are staggering even though most of them are just rundown of already known games. but good on them for constantly reminding gamers of the things they have down the line. and if the direct later is any indication, they have some new games to announce for the wii u and by having their own big event aka nintendo directs they can just announce these games whenever they want or needed to.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Directs

I prefer E3, but quite frankly Nintendo at E3 has been pretty disappointing since the Wii was released, and NDs I find to be incredibly lackluster. My hope is that in addition to NDs that they also start focusing on actual marketing to help the Wii U situation.

NO FUN AT ALL.

Tuck

Nintendo directs for announcements
E3 to get impressions

I feel like a lot of people are going to say this, but then when E3 comes around and there are no real surprises, a lot of people are going to be very, very disappointed.

Busaiku

I feel like a lot of people are going to say this, but then when E3 comes around and there are no real surprises, a lot of people are going to be very, very disappointed.

Yeah, when Nintendo ends up showing off the games they'd already announced through Nintendo Direct, suddenly they will no longer be relevant.

Nintendo Directs, no question. A steady stream of info (sometimes big info) > a single day in the year.

Nintendo Directs are cool, but has anything really worthwhile been revealed?

Pokemon X & Y, the 3DS XL, Bayonetta 2, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, New Super Mario Bros. 2, etc. Quite a few big announcements.

MisterHero

I would miss Spaceworld but I've never been to one. It was E3 just for Nintendo stuff in Japan.

Hey guys remember Spaceworld?

Pokemon X & Y, the 3DS XL, Bayonetta 2, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, New Super Mario Bros. 2, etc. Quite a few big announcements.

It's kind of like gambling. Every hype train has a 20% chance of delivering, the rest are re-confirmations of things we already knew or games we don't care about. But when it does deliver, whooooo!

Nintendo Directs easily. E3 just seems like a dated and stale model that has its hands tied between being an event for investors and one giant commercial. It also feels a bit immature for the industry. I understand what many were talking about a few years ago when they were complaining that "the circus" was just way too bloated, inefficient, and childish. I don't want to see Kevin Butler do a speech about "gaming", I don't want to see Sweet Tooth in an ice cream truck, a Cirque De Soleli, a girl petting her imaginary tiger for a company in which their previous show centered around marines chainsawing things to death, or having a woman talk to me about her snowboarding adventures with her family.

All I want is to see the games and have the company explain them to me. Nintendo Direct does just that. Just look at their previous Poke'mon XY announcement. There was no fluff, no bull, just Iwata talking about the game, its development choices, and its release. I wasn't treated like a child needing to be entertained by flashy performances that seem to be choreographed by the Spike's Video Game Awards second-string team, or being blatently targeted for marketing to remind how much my daughter would like this or how this could benefit my family. Just the game and details about it. For a company that gets a lot of flak for being too "childish", Nintendo seems to be the only hardware maker that actually treats me like an adult sometimes.

I prefer the spread out information from the ND's instead of the big mash of overwhelming/underwhelming everything at E3. I think E3 has transitioned away from being the place for big announcements and more for a presentation of a general library for a console as well as a place where the media/players can get general (hands-on) impressions of upcoming games and/or consoles.

LeleSocho

Banned
Doesn't that mean that you'd prefer they save things for E3 so the E3s can deliver shit?

No because an annual conference to show games is much more hyped so the disappointment is higher but with the monthly/bimonthly/whatever stream you know they can't announce 10 megatons at once so the expectations are much lower and in case of failed delivering the disappointment will be much lower

Directs.

E3 is for the main stream press and thus the conferences are a show and deal with too much i and many other just dont care about. We hardcore cant accept this though and the result is constant bitching from all sides about why they arent focusing all their money on making things for us.

Directs are about games and services and benefit from the ability to go in depth about something they would never do if the crowd was full of people from AP or USA Today.

TheBear

Nintendo Direct's are a great idea, but they miss out on not having an online presence like a blog or twitter and community managers. I would really like to be able to contact Nintendo Aus directly and tell them to go fuck themselves due to the shit job they are doing on the eShop. As for the question, E3's generate excitement, ND's don't. Not sure if that's good or bad.

Jintor

Nintendo Direct's are a great idea, but they miss out on not having an online presence like a blog or twitter and community managers. I would really like to be able to contact Nintendo Aus directly and tell them to go fuck themselves due to the shit job they are doing on the eShop. As for the question, E3's generate excitement, ND's don't. Not sure if that's good or bad.

contacting nintendo au directly is like navigating a labyrinth made in pandemoneum upside-down designed by MC Escher

They should make the videos available on the WiiU and 3DS. Or at least notify so we know to check the YouTube app.

E3 hype generates excitement, the E3 press conferences do the opposite.

E3 generates excitement because of history. How many disappointing e3's in a row do we need to suffer through before we wise up?

ND's do generate excitement as any ND announcement thread shows. It is contained and more realistic though because of the 24 hours to air nature of them though.

TrickRoom

Generally speaking, I've gotten more enjoyment out of Nintendo Direct due to the surprise nature of it all. There's less expectations each time, and they come frequently enough such that we don't wait a whole year with the sting of the last failed event dragging along with us.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Nintendo Direct videos feel overly packaged and scrubbed clean by the hand of marketing, I prefer the unpredictability of an E3 stage and live demos for big announcements.

Are you sure you're talking about ND and not E3? Because "overly packaged and scrubbed clean" sounds more like E3

I can't imagine calling either of them unscrubbed or un-corporate, other than things like a Motion Plus flub on stage. That's the thing that makes E3 slightly less clean and scripted.

But Iwata seems to do much better when he's not addressing a crowd of journalists and is just being straightforward, rehearsed and classy.

I think having huge blowouts isn't sustainable, as our expectations would be so high and would be very difficult to retain that level of megaton each time to meet gamer expectations.

I prefer Nintendo Directs, as we get nuggets of info spread out through the year. It's similar to the days of print where we had to wait each month to get the latest info from Nintendo Power. It was very exciting once I got that new issue.

JDSN

Banned
Nintendo Direct and Iwata asks are some of the best thing Nintendo has done in a long time, most western media doesnt care about the inner workings of them or throw themselves at their feet like they do with other studios and publishers, not that I want them to be, but they have essentially cut the irrelevant and mostly apathic middle man while delivering a decent stream of news.

It also means most of the stuff they show or announce will be playable for their big events like E3, so we kinda get the best of both worlds. Theres also this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k08pQDoPmXc

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Nintendo Direct, because it really is more directed towards gamer - e3 they often try to hard to impress the main-stream press with BS. Though when it comes to real big announcements... nothing can top a live conference like e3 - i mean the Zelda 04 unveiling is legendary.

Fandangox

Nintendo Directs.

But I feel the only proper way to introduce the new F-Zero (Its coming people, I know it) Its at e3.

the lights go out... Mute city slowly starts to play. The huge panel gets turned on, a lone empty racetrack appears... suddenly, the Blue falcon speeds through the screen, 2 seconds. End of teaser.

Coming 2014.

:c

I prefer a combination of both.

Nintendo Directs give me information about titles to come or announce new "smaller" titles (as in no Triple-A titles).

E3 should give me the motherlode consisting of everything Mario and Zelda and whatever the "hardcore gamer" expects from Nintendo. (That also means that I kinda hope Nintendo won't show new Bayonetta 2 stuff until E3)

But if I had to choose just one of them, I'd take NDs over E3s.

So it's a well known fact that Nintendo Directs don't always live up to their preceding levels of hype, but we do happen to get really good ones thrown our way from time to time. Considering how disappointing nintendo's past few E3 conferences have been, would you rather they held off for one big shindig in early summer that previews products that are a ways away or do you prefer their current strategy of underplaying E3 and stringing out their announcements closer to launch dates throughout the year?

Sub-question: If tomorrow's direct is spectacular, will you be content if nintendo's E3 is not?

Nintendo will never not be at E3. I mean that's about as likely as seeing Uncharted on the Wii U. Precisely as likely.

I would miss Spaceworld but I've never been to one. It was E3 just for Nintendo stuff in Japan.

Hey guys remember Spaceworld?

They still do that occasionally. It's called Nintendo World now, though. They did one in 2006 for the Wii, and in early 2011 for 3DS. Always in Japan, of course.

ThreeSixty

December 16, 2009. 4:00 AM. THE LIGHT FIELD is the force. The mind. That guides. Controls.
I love the Nintendo Directs. We get to have a GAF hype and anticipation thread for each one and it gives Nintendo fans something to look forward to. I prefer constant updates from Nintendo themselves as opposed to just once a year via E3.

Top Bottom