• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads | August 2017

Thanks pals. Ended up grabbing both!

Gonner really uhh doesn't want you to understand it huh? I didn't realize there were different guns because the only two I've encountered are just sticks of different thickness. Also I dunno what the skulls do. But anyway I like how it moves, feels, and looks, excited to dig into it.

Slime-San still downloading, will check it later.

Here's what each Head does in GoNNER.

You'll figure out most of this stuff naturally as you play though. It's such an addictive game.

deadfolk

The 10th is getting pretty packed: Ironcast, Flip Wars, Phantom Trigger, Rocket Fist, and The King of Fighters 2000 are all coming, and maybe even a last minute surprise (like Strikers or Gunbarich) since those keep happening.

I wasn't too sure about Ironcast, but after watching the video johnyqd linked earlier I think I might be in. Looks fun.

Also tempted by Aero Fighters 2. Seems to be popular around these parts and I don't have anything like it. That or Blazing Star.

Camjo-Z

Bought Puzzle Adventure Blockle, exactly the kind of simple yet fun puzzle game I was hoping for. It's been pretty easy so far but I've only just reached the third out of eight worlds so the difficulty could still ramp up. The only negative is the bizarrely sexualized character design for Arika, having to stare at her barely-contained chest in every menu and cutscene is a bit awkward.

Also grabbed Gunbarich though I slightly regret it as it's really short and the high score chasing potential is limited since it quickly devolves into a chaotic quarter muncher after the first few worlds. Probably was a blast in the arcades though.

edit: oh god nintendo please fire the intern that decided to make the mario + rabbids eshop page light blue with white text

NeonBlack

Since this is the only Switch thread I have a question.

I there anyway to decide if you want to download games to internal memory or SD? Since I've put in the SD all games download directly to it.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Since this is the only Switch thread I have a question.

I there anyway to decide if you want to download games to internal memory or SD? Since I've put in the SD all games download directly to it.

Take out your SD card. That's the only way.

Speaking of which, what size SD is everyone rocking and how's it going? I'm only using a 4GB card that came with the OG 3DS, and it's fine. I have everything that I want to play installed, mostly on the Internal, and a few eShop games on the SD. I don't see any reason to upgrade anytime soon. I have Splatoon, ARMS, Mario Kart 8, Puyo Puyo + a few other eShops an I still have 10 GB Internal remaining. The download sizes for most Nintendo games are small. The largest one I have is MK8, and I could Archive that one since I don't play it much, and just reinstall when I have people coming over. I wish I had that game physical since it's such a large install file.

I love that you can Archive games and leave the icon on your home screen, that's the only reason I wanted a bigger SD card in the first place on my 3DS, and WiiU, so I have icons on my home screen, sort of displaying my digital collection. Since this shows all your digital collection without needing it installed, I just Archive games when I'm done playing and free up the space.

I can't imagine needing anything bigger than the 4GB anytime soon with the Internal memory.

BooJoh

I have a 128GB card in my system, and currently have 23.2GB free in System Memory and 100GB free on the SD card.

I have Zelda, Arms, and Mario Kart physical, though I wish I'd gone digital for Mario Kart. I keep all my games on the SD card, and the biggest are Snake Pass and Splatoon 2, followed by Bomberman. Most of the used space on my internal memory is the 2GB (!) Minecraft save data. Everything else has tiny save data, with most under 10MB and only Mario Kart over 100MB.

I'm confident this SD card will last me a while, but as someone who filled a 32GB SD on my 3DS and had to jump to 64GB, I won't be surprised if I have to upgrade my Switch's SD eventually.

zigg

I have a 128GB card in my system, and currently have 23.2GB free in System Memory and 100GB free on the SD card.

I have Zelda, Arms, and Mario Kart physical, though I wish I'd gone digital for Mario Kart. I keep all my games on the SD card, and the biggest are Snake Pass and Splatoon 2, followed by Bomberman. Most of the used space on my internal memory is the 2GB (!) Minecraft save data. Everything else has tiny save data, with most under 10MB and only Mario Kart over 100MB.

I'm confident this SD card will last me a while, but as someone who filled a 32GB SD on my 3DS and had to jump to 64GB, I won't be surprised if I have to upgrade my Switch's SD eventually.
Maybe it's smart to just hit the $20 microSD tier for now and then go big later, eh? I hadn't considered that. I was waiting for the big cards to go down this year.

johnyqd

60GB microSD card with 42.9 free.

I've chosen to get most large titles physical for the Switch. Here is my library with the briefest of thoughts (if anyone wants more detailed opinions I'd gladly provide them).

• 1 2 Switch - I held a fundraiser based around a tournament using this game. That was a blast. There are some gems here but not enough "game" to justify full price. Potentially great with children but I still can't promise a huge amount of replay.
  • ARMS - On the verge of being too repetitive, BUT, friends ask me to pull it out regularly.
  • Astro Duel - Only get this if you have 2 to 3 friends to play with. Slightly overpriced in term of content, however, if I valued it in terms of laughter while playing it is a great deal.
  • Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ - If you don't mind the aesthetic and style of the game then this is a winner. I feel like everything about this game (including parts of its gameplay) is potentially divisive so take a minute and watch a video or read a full review before purchasing.
  • Blaster Master 0 - A remake of a game I always wanted to play more of as a kid. Well done with ongoing DLC to add replay value.
  • Cave Story+ - A great game that you've very likely already played. There is some more content in the pipeline and I'd consider holding off to see what the reception is once that comes out.
  • Disgaea 5 Complete - I need more time to put into this. A great SRPG with enough content to easily justify the purchase.
  • Fast RMX - Some games benefit greatly from being available at launch. I haven't had anyone ask for this instead of Mario Kart...
  • Garou: Mark of the Wolves - Simply a great fighting game, if you haven't played it on another system I highly recommend it.
  • Gonner - A good game with a great aesthetic. The lack of variety makes it so I don't want to replay it as much as other run based games on the system.
  • Graceful Explosion Machine - A must buy game that reminds me to get some Switch friends to have score battles with.
  • Has-Been Heroes - Something about this game made me keep playing until I "got it", which made it a great value proposition. This game is hard, and repetitive, and each run takes too long, and randomness can kill you all too easily later in the game. On the other hand it is unique and feels unlike any other game I've played (it is frantic even though you spend well over 1/2 the game with the action "paused"). If I were talking to ME I'd say buy it for sure but I wouldn't say the same to anyone else I know.
  • I Am Setsuna - I really wanted a more classic RPG. I kind of wish I had held off for something else.
  • Implosion - I would love Diablo or one of its clones to come to the system. This game has a lot of content and doesn't 'feel' like a mobile port, but it doesn't really scratch the loot-itch. If you really need a game of this genre it is worth the price - but if you are on the fence maybe hold off for a good deal.
  • Kamiko - It is inexpensive and will give you an interesting couple hours of playtime. It's like an OK appetizer.
  • King of Fighters '98 - Another excellent fighting game (if you are getting just one consider Garou first).
  • Lego City Undercover - My wife and I play the Lego games together and it's fine for that. Definitely the glitchiest game on the system that I've played (5+ hard locks). Horrible loading times. I got it for $30 and would have a hard time recommending it even at that price.
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Awesome game, a huge amount of content, superbly polished.
  • Mighty Gunvolt Burst - If you like Mega Man... buy it. This is a great value for a very fun game.
  • Neo Turf Masters - I've played about fifteen rounds with friends and we've had a good time. More than anything it makes me wish for a Mario Golf title.
  • PuyoPuyo Tetris - The best puzzle game on the system and one of the best battle puzzlers I've played in a long time. Must buy.
  • Shephy - I'm glad to see board/card games coming to the system. This game unfortunately isn't as good as some others in the genre. A good time filler but a bit overpriced for what it is.
  • Slime-San - Loving it, great value and hidden complexity.
  • Snake Pass - I just keep avoiding playing this game, don't know why. No comment at this time.
  • Snipperclips - Got this to play with my wife. She immediately and violently disliked it. I keep meaning to try again with a friend but haven't done so yet.
  • Splatoon 2 - Superb, but only buy it if you plan on playing online regularly.
  • Super Bomberman R - The patches have fixed the early control issues you may have read about in reviews. Unlocking all the stages is an absolute chore. The single player campaign is not good. Playing with 3 friends is bomb-tastic.
  • Thumper - Great rhythm game, I really enjoy it in handheld mode with the system right up against my face.
  • Tumble Seed - A new purchase for me, good first impression but I can't comment beyond that.
  • Waku Waku 7 - A silly fighter, only get it if you know you want it specifically.
  • Zelda - A modern classic, I can't imagine you own a Switch and don't own this (unless you played it on Wii-U).

jmizzal

The 10th is getting pretty packed: Ironcast, Flip Wars, Phantom Trigger, Rocket Fist, and The King of Fighters 2000 are all coming, and maybe even a last minute surprise (like Strikers or Gunbarich) since those keep happening.

Also Monster Hunter XX Demo from Japan account, i'm more hyped about that then anything lol

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Johnyqd, LOVED your post! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Can you give a comparison for Graceful Explosion Machine? It looks like/reminds me of Pixel Junk Shooter... it's bright and colorful and you're shooting in all directions. Are there bosses in the game, or is it straight hordes of bad guys in all directions and you're fending them off.

Thumper really has me interested, I love music rhythm games (Theathrym FF was my favorite on 3DS), but the $20 price tag is scaring me off. Is there much to "do" in that game other than replay stages and go for bigger scores, and are there leaderboards or unlocks of any kind?

Maybe it's smart to just hit the $20 microSD tier for now and then go big later, eh? I hadn't considered that. I was waiting for the big cards to go down this year.

I have a theory: if you only keep the games installed that you can see on your home screen, and Archive the ones that you can't see (the ones you have to hit "All Software" to view them all when you have over 12 games), between any size SD card + Internal memory = you'll be set. Obviously that's assuming you don't have monster games installed like Zelda or Lego City. You'd have to prepare ahead of time and make sure monster games like that (likely Xenoblade and Skyrim) you buy physical. You can probably get all the eShop titles you are currently playing installed and Archive the others and be totally fine on Internal memory only with a $20 or less SD card.

Since we're asking questions about the Switch, I have one. What happens if you run out of software spaces on the home menu? I have two left. Do I need to delete or will it expand?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Since we're asking questions about the Switch, I have one. What happens if you run out of software spaces on the home menu? I have two left. Do I need to delete or will it expand?
Once you have more than 13 titles a sub menu icon is added on the right that when entered lists all titles in a long multi row grid.

The main list remains being the most recently played titles.

Brakke

Banned
Yo Thumper is excellent. It's a real thrill when you get into a flow with it.

No unlocks but there are leaderboards. But also the game is pretty tough* so just getting through all the stages is probably enough to be satisfied. Also it doesn't explicitly teach scoring subtleties at all but later levels will encourage some of the more complicated techniques. Returning to world 1 after I did a few more felt totally different than my first crack at it.

tolkir

European Switch newsfeed has published the 10 best selling games in Europe last month.

EU eShop Top 10 - July

01 (NE) Splatoon 2 (Nintendo)
02 (01) Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition (Mojang)
03 (NE) Overcooked (Team 17)
04 (NE) Implosion: Never Lose Hope (Flyhigh Works)
05 (RE) Super Bomberman R (Konami)
06 (04) Oceanhorn - Monster of Uncharted Seas (FDG Entertainment)
07 (05) Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo)
08 (08) SnipperClips: Cut it out together! (Nintendo)
09 (RE) GoNNER (Raw Fury)
10 (06) Snake Pass (Sumo Digital)

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

20638748_10103385122524465_9130754291191453394_n.jpg

20638346_10103385121616285_4300249499908192340_n.jpg

JDdelphin

I just downloaded Retro City Rampage and is it just me or does the 'image only - no title' icon for it drive anyone else crazy?

It looks like it doesn't belong on the list.
I hate that.

I'm not a giant fan of the switch UI when it comes to this kindof game selection either-
(still better than the damn vita bubbles)
-but at least make the icons sliiightly uniform?

Maybe?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I got a 64 gig card for free from Samsung when I purchased my Galaxy S8+. So I just used that in my Switch for now.

I've bought big titles like Zelda and Kart physical. Where as I've bought stuff that's either download only ie Minecraft or cheaper ie Puyo Puyo Tetris digital. So far so good.

Cost of good cards is only gonna get cheaper so I figured I'll ride our what space I got. Then worry about getting a bigger card when I max out.

I just downloaded Retro City Rampage and is it just me or does the 'image only - no title' icon for it drive anyone else crazy?

It looks like it doesn't belong on the list.
I hate that.

I'm not a giant fan of the switch UI when it comes to this kindof game selection either-
(still better than the damn vita bubbles)
-but at least make the icons sliiightly uniform?

Maybe?

Yeah, the new Snake Pass icon has the same problem. I'm not a big fan of it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Oh how is Retro City? Seems like a neat open world time killer when I don't want to play Minecraft.

It's fun, but it's a love letter to 80's culture to a fault. The callbacks get pretty old after awhile.

Still a fun game though and its spiritual successor, Shakedown Hawaii, looks to be a massive improvement.

This.

Pass on Retro City.

Shakedown seems like it's gonna be a much better game. Better off just waiting for that.

Use Your Words is actually pretty fun with the right crowd. Jackbox-esque party game with fun make the subtitle and finish this sentence type stuff (I speak Russian, and some of the subtitled videos are in Russian, so it throws more off my game a bit)

johnyqd

Johnyqd, LOVED your post! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Can you give a comparison for Graceful Explosion Machine? It looks like/reminds me of Pixel Junk Shooter... it's bright and colorful and you're shooting in all directions. Are there bosses in the game, or is it straight hordes of bad guys in all directions and you're fending them off.

Thumper really has me interested, I love music rhythm games (Theathrym FF was my favorite on 3DS), but the $20 price tag is scaring me off. Is there much to "do" in that game other than replay stages and go for bigger scores, and are there leaderboards or unlocks of any kind?

I do see the similarity between the art (and controls) in GEM and Pixel Junk Shooter. It actually plays a bit more like Resogun (circular stages, aiming for clean/full combo runs). There aren't bosses, but as the game progresses there is a change in focus from swarms of low hp enemies to some truly nasty higher hp foes.

The beauty in GEM is that it is a constant challenge to use the right weapon at the right time. You have a basic blaster that does low damage and charges quickly when you aren't using it. The other three weapons all share an ammo pool which is filled by collecting dots picked up after destroying enemies (a laser for high hp enemies, a rotating sword for big groups, and homing missiles). The first couple levels you can just pew-pew and keep a combo going, very soon you realize you have to keep switching between basic and special weapons, and in the final third of the game you have to be very specific in which weapon you use at what time (all while frantically trying to survive waves of enemies).

The game is expertly balanced and really shines when you work to get full combos on the levels (combos only last if you keep killing enemies quickly and don't get hit by enemies).

I'm an Elite Beat Agents kinda guy, HarmoKnight on 3DS was pretty great too. Unlike many other rhythm games Thumper has a very distinct style and sound which is consistent through the levels. I don't knock it for that style, but it is a very different beast then more stylized song/themed games.

In terms of value - Thumper is made up of 9 "worlds", each with about 20 - 30 "levels". Now for a comparison that could get me into hot water: each level is kind of like a Super Mario Brothers level in length (an auto scroller obviously), some of the levels in each world are bosses. So, if you would find value in a fiendishly hard and very intense rhythm game that is multiple times the length of the original SMB, then don't hesitate to buy Thumper (even if you never replay a single level for a better score).

There are also leaderboards and unlockable challenge modes for each world. Also, the game by default restarts the level you are on if you fail or restart. I finished up the first world getting "S" rank on each level and was astonished to see my low placement on the leaderboards - the reason is that you get multipliers for beating consecutive levels without restarting/dying - so to get a truly high score in a world you need to die as little as possible.

jariw

Just did a visit to the old eShop threads to count the number of eShop "original eShop games" and "archive games" that have been released on the EU eShop.

March: 23 original + 7 archive
April: 9 original + 4 archive
May: 7 original + 4 archive
June: 8 original + 5 archive
July: 20 original + 4 archive

Something certainly happened during July, specially considering that almost nothing else appeared around the Splatoon 2 release.

johnyqd

Grabbed Infinite Minigolf. The controls aren't bothering me but it's super frustrating that I can't download any holes to play offline. I wasn't expecting much going in but needed an alternative for my friends who keep wanting to play Neo Turf Masters.

I'll have more detailed thoughts in a week or so.

Halfway through the main game in Slime-San and still loving it. The difficulty really ramps up, I spent over 20 minutes banging against one level last night (getting all the apples of course). This shouldn't scare you off - you can pay apples to skip levels if you are so inclined.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Infinite Minigolf is worth the $14.99. The controls are finicky, you have to hold and let go of that analog stick juuuuuust right, which is a tad tough to do on the Joycon, and I would imagine it's easier to do on the Pro Controller with longer analog throws. I found it easier to turn the sensitivity all the way down to minimum settings, that helped me (and my wife) when trying to set the shots.

I feel like the gameplay itself is kind of shallow... you are just setting shots and then pulling and letting go of the analog stick, but there is a lot of content there. I wish it had some lines on the green, kind of like Hot Shots golf, to give you better ideas of how far to power your shots... but I suppose you get a feel for it the more you play. I probably will never touch it alone, only when playing with my wife. We alternate holes in Tournament mode and she loves it.

Pokemaniac

Crap, just hit the installed software limit on my Wii U... I was really hoping that it wouldn't come to that. It's a shame really, I've still got so much free space on the hard drive. Guess it's time to start deleting some demos...

This installed software limit it really one of the most frustrating things about the Wii U and 3DS. I really hope that the Switch doesn't have a limit, or, if it does, that the limit is substantially higher than the paltry 300 that the Wii U and 3DS have.

On a similar note, I'm nearly out of space on my 64GB SD card in my 3DS, so it looks like I'll finally make the jump to using a 128GB card. I thought I was done enough with 3DS games that this wouldn't need to happen but I keep getting pulled back in. At any rate, I'll be pretty impressed if I manage to fill this one up, especially since I hit the installed software limit on the 3DS a while ago, so this should be the final one. My Switch will also get a 256GB card out of this, because there's no point in buying a new 128GB card when that was always intended as a holdover until the prices came down, anyway.

jonno394

Figured it wasn't. What the hell is happening with Nintendo and their eShop on Switch? Dates are just constantly wrong. Even devs saying their game will be out a certain day are looking like fools when they aren't.

Edit: Wait are we sure it's not? It's listed on Xbox One as being tomorrow too.

It definitely isn't launching on Switch tomorrow, the developers/publishers have confirmed as much, it will launch later than the other consoles.

Top Bottom