• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - December 2012

MrMan2k3

I've now gotten confirmation on the american release date; Gunman Clive will be out in the US eShop on January 3, for $1.99

Awesome, will double-dip on this! I really liked the game and finished it to end but I struggled with touch controls.

But why on earth couldn't they get rid of it?
I dunno? I doubt it's an issue of "couldn't" though.

With 100m Wiis out there and a new backwards compatiible console you'd think they'd want to inact a DSiWare style revival on the eShop for WiiWare/VC, but they also completely torpedoed that with system wide Wii U segregation and a new onlineless Wii mini in test markets. To me it seems like Nintendo just wants to kill Wii online asap.

I've now gotten confirmation on the american release date; Gunman Clive will be out in the US eShop on January 3, for $1.99

Day 0. I can't imagine this game not doing well at the price point.

I think I'll double dip on the 3DS I'm trying to sell just to support you.

I wonder if we're actually going to get Ikachan this year. Would fit nicely on the 20th so it wouldn't have to compete with Fluidity.

The eShop is probably my favorite thing about the 3DS.

@MUWANdo

Banned
But why on earth couldn't they get rid of it?

They could, they just... don't. WiiWare hasn't changed a whole lot since launch, nor has DSiWare, even in the aftermath of the eShop, which is what makes the regular stream of DSiWare releases so baffling to me--sure, a lot of these devs/publishers have an established work flow that justifies sticking to DSiWare, but the eShop is so much easier to work with, so why not make the jump?

12/13: Crimson Shround.
12/20: Wario Land II.
12/27: Super Mario Bros. Lost Levels
01/03: Unchained Blades.

:)
No love for Fluidity or Escape Vector?

but the eShop is so much easier to work with, so why not make the jump?

This too. Does Circle Entertainment actually make money from their releases? That Spirit Hunter game too-I could have seen it doing fairly well if it were a 3DS game. I would have bought it.

zroid

Banned
Re: Escapevektor...

the Vita and 3DS editions feature console-specific functionality; the 3DS version includes 3D graphics, while the Vita version uses the gyroscope to adjust camera angles. Both versions also include leaderboards.

yeeeeah, I think I know which version I'm getting, lol

rjc571

Banned
Re: Escapevektor...

yeeeeah, I think I know which version I'm getting, lol

While that particular Vita specific feature sounds pretty lame, it's still gonna look miles better on the Vita, which should make it the version to get unless you really really like 3D, no?

Actually I might consider getting both to support the developers (but I'll probably have to wait on the Vita version until memory card prices become reasonable as my 4 gig card is completely full and I don't like storing stuff on my computer).

thomaser

Tell me about it. Is no-one from Europe playing this? It's fucking fantastic. I might do an OT.

Downloaded it yesterday, and have played through the first two levels. Really good so far! It just oozes quality, and it's obvious that it has been made with lots of care and eye for detail.

zroid

Banned
While that particular Vita specific feature sounds pretty lame, it's still gonna look miles better on the Vita, which should make it the version to get unless you really really like 3D, no?

Actually I might consider getting both to support the developers (but I'll probably have to wait on the Vita version until memory card prices become reasonable as my 4 gig card is completely full and I don't like storing stuff on my computer).

I do like 3D, yes. Well, tbf, the Vita version doesn't even have a release date in North America yet.

I'm having a lot of fun with the demos that came out recently for 3DS:

*Adventure Time*
-Five uses, the fuck?
-Really awesome sprite graphics, this is the future I envisioned as a child (we got 3D models instead blegh)
-Controls are whack (why is slide attack mapped to the jump button?!) and stiff (par for a WayFoward game)
-So many fetch quests
-Can solve fetch quests before even accepting them, odd
-No experience points?
-Why did it take 20+ years to make an Adventure of Link clone?

Verdict: I would buy this game on sale, it's certainly charming (like all WayForward games) but is not all there as a game (like all WayForward games)

*Fractured Soul*
-First stage, keep thinking, "This is really easy if you are slow and methodical, but gatdamn this would be amazing trying to speed run"
-Finish first stage and realize it times you
-FUCK
-Start rushing through subsequent stages
-Get owned
-Brain keeps getting confused about which screen I am looking at

Verdict: I liked this a lot but I don't know if I liked it $12 a lot. Anyone who already has it, does the final game have other modes besides just story/campaign?

*Art of Balance: Touch*
-This game was amazing
-Seriously, how have I never heard of this game before?
-This is like Picross DS levels of great
-Played the demo three times
-SO GOOD
-This is a sequel, right? WHY DON'T I KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE ORIGINAL?

Verdict: The first time a demo has ABSOLUTELY SOLD ME on a game I knew essentially nothing about in a few years. I will absolutely be purchasing this.

rjc571

Banned
^Art of Balance Touch could technically be considered a sequel, sort of. It contains all 100 puzzles from the original game, but it also has 100 new puzzles which feature new mechanics, along with a new mode which tasks you with solving levels randomly. It's a really great value which makes the original game pretty much obsolete (although it controlled better on the Wii).

Sleepy

The Lost Levels is the legit Super Mario Bros. 2, before Nintendo swapped characters in Doki (?)? Is it better than the first Super Mario Bros.?

I'm having a lot of fun with the demos that came out recently for 3DS:

*Fractured Soul*
-First stage, keep thinking, "This is really easy if you are slow and methodical, but gatdamn this would be amazing trying to speed run"
-Finish first stage and realize it times you
-FUCK
-Start rushing through subsequent stages
-Get owned
-Brain keeps getting confused about which screen I am looking at

Verdict: I liked this a lot but I don't know if I liked it $12 a lot. Anyone who already has it, does the final game have other modes besides just story/campaign?

Not really. The final game has about 25 levels in the main story and a set of unlockable levels based on the stars you get. The replay value comes from playing stages faster and better for high scores on the leaderboards.

zroid

Banned
The Lost Levels is the legit Super Mario Bros. 2, before Nintendo swapped characters in Doki (?)? Is it better than the first Super Mario Bros.?

It's, uh, more difficult. That's basically all there is to it. Also you can play as Luigi, who has completely different physics from Mario.

Some argue it's not as well-tuned as the original SMB, but the level design is more devious, and often sadistic, which is a plus for many.

Sleepy

It's, uh, more difficult. That's basically all there is to it. Also you can play as Luigi, who has completely different physics from Mario.

Some argue it's not as well-tuned as the original SMB, but the level design is more devious, and often sadistic, which is a plus for many.

Nice. Bought.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Is Ninja Gaiden coming out soon for the 3DS eShop, or was that just bs?

I saw the nes version earlier for like 5 bucks. Is this game really hard? I kind of want to get something to complement my epic mickey game.

epic mickey is awesome for me since I love the music and I only paid 20 bucks.

Ok, I feel like an idiot, but all the different branded cards are confusing.

In the US, which points cards do I need to buy for 3DS and which ones for Wii-U? Will the generic Wii ones work on either?

Also, Amazon needs to get over this BS with Nintendo. I want to buy cards there. :(

MrMan2k3

In the US, which points cards do I need to buy for 3DS and which ones for Wii-U? Will the generic Wii ones work on either?

Also, Amazon needs to get over this BS with Nintendo. I want to buy cards there. :(

3DS Cash cards work on both 3DS and Wii U. I've registered several on my Wii U with no problem. They also have cards that have both 3DS and Wii U branding on them.

Wii Points cards work on the Wii only (or the Wii Shop Channel when you're in Wii Mode on Wii U).

also

Banned

Nintendo point cards only work for Wii and DSi. You need to buy eShop cards, i.e., those that have an actual currency on it ($).
These work for both 3DS and WiiU.
im2wLiibr8jsC.jpg
These work for 3DS only. EDIT: I was wrong. MrMan2k3 confirmed you can also use these on WiiU.

jgkspsx

*Art of Balance: Touch*
-This game was amazing
-Seriously, how have I never heard of this game before?
-This is like Picross DS levels of great
-Played the demo three times
-SO GOOD
-This is a sequel, right? WHY DON'T I KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE ORIGINAL?

Verdict: The first time a demo has ABSOLUTELY SOLD ME on a game I knew essentially nothing about in a few years. I will absolutely be purchasing this.

It's a good value, absolutely, but later in the game the physics kind of falls apart. Everything vibrates randomly, ruining perfectly good solutions. I was ashamed of solutions that worked and pissed off by solutions that should have worked that didn't.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So VLR is available on eShop in Europe and Australia and has been for almost a month, but still not on the US shop? Why?!

zroid

Banned
Can a eShop download get stuck? I've been downloading Paper Mario on my 3DS for about 2 hours now. Is it too much to ask for a progress bar?
You're doing a background (sleep mode) download, I presume? Try an internet connection test; after it succeeds, the download should resume, if it is indeed stuck.

Also, I thought it told you the % when you click the icon?

Jackano

So what is the cheapest good deal on WiiU eShop?
I would like to try and test the premium promo.

Hint: I'm not a fan a fast action games and difficult games.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Mighty Switch Force for $10 (you can go at your own pace, although you do need reflexes) or Trine 2, although that's $20.

Oxx

I was going to ask about what they had already covered with the Hero discount promotion. I had noticed Metroid and Donkey Kong games on sale in recent weeks.

I was about 10 pence short for SMB last week, so I welcome the Mario sale.

European downloads this week

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/12/nintendo_download_20th_december_2012_europe

For the first time ever, there's a PERMANENT price drop to 1.99 Euros ( Rising Board 3D) and Dr. Mario will see a 50% reduction. So, it'll be priced at 1.49 Euros, the lowest price seen on eShop so far.

Hmm, maybe Nintendo has now applied their Wii U eShop policies of giving devs control of pricing/sales to the 3DS eShop? Good news if that's the case.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Hmm, maybe Nintendo has now applied their Wii U eShop policies of giving devs control of pricing/sales to the 3DS eShop? Good news if that's the case.

beril said some days ago NoE actually started applying WiiU indie policies for 3DS eShop, when he announced Gunman Clive's release date. We don't know if NoA is doing the same, though.

CaVaYeRo

Shanblue Interactive announces Vampire Crystals will be up on American WiiWare (plus demo) come next Thursday, with EU version coming up Jan 3rd and demo Jan 17.

Last hours for WiiWare, but this game looks beautiful and addictive, and Wii U being compatible with Shop Channel might fix part of its long delay (if Wii mode wasn't THAT hidden, that's it). I just love this kind of shooters, so I'll give it a (co-op) try.

Top Bottom