• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2012

Picked up Mutant Mudds.

Also, there's a new Nintendo Show (covering Sakura Samurai and an already released eshop game) on the shop. So, fans of the cute girl, rejoice!

So, I really liked Flipper; thought it was charming, loved the story behind its development. Was happy to support it. When I heard about Flipper 2 being a Warioware-alike, I was excited! So, I open the eShop looking to download it; it's nowhere to be found. Now, I'm a "hardcore gamer" so I follow the industry -- I knew it was hitting today and I went to get it. Say I'm not, though. Say I'm just someone who wants to find some new, cool games to play. Flipper 2: Flush The Goldfish is not listed in any of the featured categories on the eShop. The only way you'd even know it was released is by searching for it by title, or navigating the DSiWare search-list-thing. That's, frankly, embarrassing. Why isn't the first button on the eShop each week NEW RELEASES, featuring everything new that came out? Or, better still, put each new release in a separate square (like Mutant Mudds) before the categories. This is rudimentary, obvious stuff, and if I'm a developer the current layout would make me furious. The eShop has been around for a while now, the categories can be easily adjusted. Why is Nintendo being punitive to the people that make games for its platforms? They're driving these talented people away and once they see how they can do elsewhere, they'll never come back. Who could blame them.

neoemonk

Will there be new games available for play coins after this month? I love the idea but wasn't too crazy about any of the offerings.

Mutant Mudds is awesome, but you can't run while shooting! BOO-URNS. It's also annoying that the jump button is used to activate the launch pads, so I missed a few gems on the second level because I tried to jump to get them but I was standing on the launch pad and I couldn't get back to that part of the level after using the launch pad. They should have made a different button activate the launch pad.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
So, I really liked Flipper; thought it was charming, loved the story behind its development. Was happy to support it. When I heard about Flipper 2 being a Warioware-alike, I was excited! So, I open the eShop looking to download it; it's nowhere to be found. Now, I'm a "hardcore gamer" so I follow the industry -- I knew it was hitting today and I went to get it. Say I'm not, though. Say I'm just someone who wants to find some new, cool games to play. Flipper 2: Flush The Goldfish is not listed in any of the featured categories on the eShop. The only way you'd even know it was released is by searching for it by title, or navigating the DSiWare search-list-thing. That's, frankly, embarrassing. Why isn't the first button on the eShop each week NEW RELEASES, featuring everything new that came out? Or, better still, put each new release in a separate square (like Mutant Mudds) before the categories. This is rudimentary, obvious stuff, and if I'm a developer the current layout would make me furious. The eShop has been around for a while now, the categories can be easily adjusted. Why is Nintendo being punitive to the people that make games for its platforms? They're driving these talented people away and once they see how they can do elsewhere, they'll never come back. Who could blame them.
Flipper2 had its own bubble in the front of the store (together with something else which i can't recall now) when it launched here on the DE store. Apropos, new releases have been getting the spotlight on DE store if not always then most of the time. I can't recall a notable new release which did not get the spotlight.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
So, I really liked Flipper; thought it was charming, loved the story behind its development. Was happy to support it. When I heard about Flipper 2 being a Warioware-alike, I was excited!

What's the story behind the original's development? You have me curious... and what do you mean by "Wario Ware-like" -- the game looks like a platformer to me.

(Also, spreadsheet updated. Whee!)

What's the story behind the original's development? You have me curious... and what do you mean by "Wario Ware-like" -- the game looks like a platformer to me.

(Also, spreadsheet updated. Whee!)
The original game was essentially the passion project of one man: Hugo Smits. He developed it alone in his bedroom, as he did with the sequel (though he had support from Xform on the first and Engine Software on the second). He created a unique voxel-powered engine for the first game, won some awards, and maintained an extremely open devblog throughout development:

Hugo's blog: http://goodbyegalaxygames.blogspot.com/
TinyCartridge on Flipper:http://tinycartridge.com/post/297176338/flipper-an-original-dsiware-title-from-one-man

As for Flipper 2, it's a one-button platformer with a level progression, but each screen has you doing a different action with that button. For example, when you first start the game pressing A will make you "Jump," as indicated on-screen. Once you clear that jump, the next screen says "Stop." Pressing A then makes you stop to wait for an invisible platform to materialize. So very much platformer crossed with WW. It's completely different from the first game (voxel-based puzzle/strategy game) but just as charming.

BooJoh

I'm really interested in Flipper 2 because of the Wario Ware-like mechanics... is it worth cleaning my fridge for?

DDayton

So I took a chance and bought Flipper 2...

I just finished the 4th castle of Story Mode and Flush is just sitting on the map. None of the buttons do anything... the "red devil" flew away and now I appear to be stuck...

This week in Australia: Balloon Kid. No Mutant Mudds (which, I admit, we already knew about. Looks like it's gonna go the way of Mighty Flip Champs where months of difference in release dates makes me lose interest). No Mario & Sonic demo. No DSiWare.

But hey, we got a tiny Xenoblade print run right? I guess that means it's still America getting the short end of the stick while the rest of the world lives it up.

Roto13

This week in Australia: Balloon Kid. No Mutant Mudds (which, I admit, we already knew about. Looks like it's gonna go the way of Mighty Flip Champs where months of difference in release dates makes me lose interest). No Mario & Sonic demo. No DSiWare.

But hey, we got a tiny Xenoblade print run right? I guess that means it's still America getting the short end of the stick while the rest of the world lives it up.

North America is getting Xenoblade.

Switch to the Euro eShop.

North America is getting Xenoblade.

Yeah, I know. Made a nice whinging point for a lot of people beforehand though, and a lot of them have continued on acting like they miss out on everything after the fact.

Switch to the Euro eShop.

Doesn't really help when they're still waiting on Mutant Mudds and the M&S demo too. Not really interested enough in DSiWare to switch shop regions just for that.

Thores

I just finished the 4th castle of Story Mode and Flush is just sitting on the map. None of the buttons do anything... the "red devil" flew away and now I appear to be stuck...

Has anyone else gotten this far and had this problem? DD, were you able to get past this point after a restart, even? I've been interested in picking Flipper 2 up, but that interest would definitely diminish somewhat if there was a gamebreaking bug.

There is supposed to be a battle between Flush and the Devil in the form of another set of rooms. I did not experience this issue.

Flipper 2 was completely out of left field from my expectations, but it is okay. Terribly short. Might be fun to play he Random Castles though. Got a bit of rough edges.

hitmon

Tried the Mario and Sonic Olympic demo... I was actually surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Not a game I'd buy normally, but I may consider it when it has a decent price drop.

And thats why I imported a US 3DS, get most games a few days/weeks earlier, get eShop games cheaper and quicker (most of the time) and don't need to worry about stuff not getting released down in Aus.

DDayton

There is supposed to be a battle between Flush and the Devil in the form of another set of rooms. I did not experience this issue.
Maybe I was just lucky... I had to forcibly quit to the Home menu -- when I reloaded, I was back at the very beginning... sigh. The developer's web page implies the "real game" starts after the story mode, but...

GeekyDad

Tried the Mario and Sonic Olympic demo... I was actually surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Not a game I'd buy normally, but I may consider it when it has a decent price drop.

Not too surprised, really, as the DS winter-Olympics one was really good. Had a silly story that you followed along, but the games were very well designed.

jgkspsx

Quoting myself from the pseudo OT for Mudds:
me said:
I think the level designs are great, and it takes me back to 90s PC platformers (Secret Agent, Duke Nukem, Commander Keen). Enemy artwork is particularly Keen-esque. Given that Keen is my favorite series of platformers, that's a very good thing. I only have 8 gems so far, but I'm really loving it.

One of my favorite things about the game is that there are no incentives to do repetitive, boring stuff. Killing enemies? Only do it if they're in your way unless you want to. Collect all the gems each playthrough of the level? Nope. Just the ones you missed. It may hurt game length and replayability, but it's so, so nice to play a game that isn't trying to waste my time.

Also, the Virtual Boy and Game Boy secret levels are really cute.
If you:
- loved Apogee shareware platformers of the 90s
- think Porky from Earthbound and/or Kim Jong Il and/or the scientist from Contact when he was a little kid deserved his own platformer
- really like games that reward exploration without padding playtime with infinite collectables or bulletsponge enemies
- can handle some REALLY DEMANDING precise jumps, really rapidly timed disappearing platforms, and lack of checkpoints (sorry)
- want some gorgeous old-school graphics using the 3D to awesome effect (3D hammers, I mean you)
- think the 3DS is seriously lacking in homages to the Virtual Boy
then I enthusiastically recommend Mudds.

It's not the no-brainer must-have that Pushmo is, but it's one of my favorite Nintendo-platform downloadable titles yet.

I think we're about due for a western D4 Virtual Console dump. They have a TON of NeoGeo games to catch up on (World Heroes Perfect/2/2Jet, KOF 96/97, Twinkle Star Sprites, Real Bout, AOF3, ASO2, Crossed Swords, Ninja Masters, Sengoku 1-2, Last Resort, King of the Monsters 2, Galaxy Fight, Waku Waku 7, Super Baseball 2020, etc, etc).

Maybe I was just lucky... I had to forcibly quit to the Home menu -- when I reloaded, I was back at the very beginning... sigh. The developer's web page implies the "real game" starts after the story mode, but...
Didn't have any issues either, really sorry to hear about that man. Try shooting Hugo an email; he's pretty responsive.

I think we're about due for a western D4 Virtual Console dump. They have a TON of NeoGeo games to catch up on (World Heroes Perfect/2/2Jet, KOF 96/97, Twinkle Star Sprites, Real Bout, AOF3, ASO2, Crossed Swords, Ninja Masters, Sengoku 1-2, Last Resort, King of the Monsters 2, Galaxy Fight, Waku Waku 7, Super Baseball 2020, etc, etc).

the more the merrier
my Wii's arcade sticks are waiting for new fodder

Bought Smash Bros 64 a few days ago....so many memories. I'm better now for some reason. Though I do miss rumble, I think I play better with the classic controller.

What are all the game updates for? I've gotten updates for a bunch of games.

I got Mutant Mudds. It's pretty fun, but also ver unforgiving.

Top Bottom