• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS Games in HD

From Reddit:

e8AwXpv.png

I like that. Man, it's too bad DS emulators don't really run that great, at least not for me. Is there a certain way to set it up that works better?

wmlk

I think the bosses would probably look alright but NSMB DS has this really garbage jpeg look to its 2d assets and blowing them up doesnt do them any favors.

Got Alice in Wonderland to work, the hud looks gross but the models are crisp as fuck:

That's gorgeous.

I wonder how Moon looks on this.

Converse

Banned
These pictures reaffirm my personal belief that a clean image is paramount to game visuals -- I can totally live with that. In fact, even though I used to hate that unfiltered, pixelated aesthetic during the PlayStation days, I'll say that it has grown on me. Time has been kind and now, it looks kind of charming.

Has me looking forward to what Nintendo swings with DS emulation on the Wii U eShop, especially given how nicely they pulled off the Game Boy Advance games (props on M2 on that, of course).

Mozendo

Welp getting bad frames with an 512MB 8800 GT, or is my 6300 more at fault?
I'm planning on upgrading both at some point, but anyone know what's the cause? ;_; I want to play Etrian Odyssey in glorious HD

I honestly love the look of them all. It's the thought of playing some games on something other than the official hardware which makes me nauseous.

Elite Beat Agents on a laptop or PC? Blech! Even with my touch-screen monitor, that sound unappealing.

Elija2

Wow, those look great. Higher resolutions really do make primitive (compared to now) 3D games more tolerable. Like, some of those games almost look Dreamcast-level in those HD shots.

This is super interesting! Took some screenshots of my own:

Sonic Rush
CtVheqo.png

rJv4VJW.png

qqCbAwv.png

UHfG1CN.png

dQfvD58.png

Phantasy Star Zero (rest in peace, NWC)
Azu9EEz.png

CXcR9X9.png

mNNWvVg.png

kfR7iTO.png

Spider-man: Web of Shadows
S3EPl7u.png

J1tSD3n.png

a3witqz.png

Lijik

Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure look like what you'd expect in the main levels, theres a disconnect between the upscaled sprites and crisp Sonic model running through them. Theres a delightful chunky pixel look to all of the models in the games that up close is evocative of the Saturn, but the 3D landscapes are really sparse and barren.
Sonic Rush

ibjvBWkn3wdDm.png

ibcw3NsLmsvLCt.png

ibxlmrRLXPvBIn.png

Sonic Rush Adventure

ib0ZRFriwiMmoP.png

ibk6VjyUrchHWv.png

iGAxMyLlMsVu8.png

ibkjAcRY9Vx4JO.png

With all of the PS1 comparisons in the thread I thought itd be fun to look at the 3D Crash and Spyro platformers Amaze did on the DS. I should note I had to turn off the fog in the settings for Spyro which is almost Superman 64 levels of terrible otherwise. The pop-in in both games is kind of bad as well.
Crash of the Titans
ikySFPZQDoJU4.png

ibxVKBldav80p7.png

ibn6cxCljQW53y.png

Spyro The Eternal Night
iZOkpFRasBWVI.png

iRqR3IwD1Qykk.png

EDIT- Phantasy Star Zero looks incredible!

More Pokémon Black since that's all I feel like messing with.

Welp getting bad frames with an 512MB 8800 GT, or is my 6300 more at fault?
I'm planning on upgrading both at some point, but anyone know what's the cause? ;_; I want to play Etrian Odyssey in glorious HD

I have an overclocked i7 3770k/GTX 770 and I'm getting a lot of slowdown on the 3x and 4x render settings, so there is still some work to be done on the emulator.

The battles in the Gen 5 Pokémon games are 60 fps, and at 4x (1024x768) I'm getting anywhere from 25 fps during an attack to 35 fps when the Pokémon are idle. Which results in everything moving at about half speed without using the frame skip.

The overworld moves at 15-20 fps (out of 30), so it's just as bad.

TheOGB

Banned
Oh shoot, you guys beat me to the Sonic Rush screens AND Crash of the Titans? That's what I get for being slow on the draw. Well, here are these anyways:
ixB9UsRBWqTV7.png

iLivHA8g0p0nF.png

ibdxaZYNYnsMyx.png

iomucoyfOowiK.png

imtoG5AIiF9Jm.png

I'm really digging how clean Sonic and friends look, and the Special Stage, goodness. But Phantasy Star Zero is almost mindblowing.

HUELEN10

Is there any "gap" compensation option so that games like Sonic Rush/Adventure and Yoshi's Island/Touch N Go are fully playable?

Anyone mind taking some shots of Mario Hoops?

I always thought that Phantasy Star Zero looked damn impressive for a DS game, but I never expected it to look that nice at a higher res.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Someone do Dragon Ball Kai: Ultimate Butōden please.

How the hell?!? That could almost pass for a Dreamcast game.

Nah, looks more Final Fantasy VIII quality. Good texture work hides some of the chunkiness. Dreamcast games had much higher texture res and poly counts. Phantasy Star does look like one of the better DS up-rezzes. A lot of these blown-up games expose the tricks developers pulled, which is interesting to see, but not something I'd want to play.

I want to see someone run

The Wizard of Oz: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road.

Also, Ghost Trick.

Oh, and umm.. "Feel The Magic XX/XY"

Or Nostalgia

Or Solotarobo

Or Deep Labyrinth

Or Trace Memory.

Such nice.....

Dragon Ball Origins
(hard to get non-cinematic screens of, the HD mode makes everything flicker green)
LiiUDna.png

kqAD57U.png

QCuS8rc.png

tudhNKO.png

6T20mC5.png

Dragon Ball Kai: Ultimate Butoden
(Like DBO, this flickers a lot at anything over native resolution. The entire front layer flickers, making it impossible to really play)
RANE1ag.png

rmpDZeg.png

X7KA3GB.png

fWaINPD.png

z2jQ4kV.png

bobawesome

Both DBZ games look really good. I remember there being a Naruto game that seemed to push the system graphically
I could be remembering wrong, though.
anyone know which game I'm talking about?

TnK

The graphics for KH 358 is the reason why I haven't played it yet. This up-res looks pretty good actually I may finally give the game a shot.
Don't bother, the game is really bad. Watch the cutscenes on 1.5 HD instead.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Just as I thought. Kai still looks like sex with and without filters.

I wonder if the Fire Emblem games could look less "ugly" with this magical discovery.

Celine

Both DBZ games look really good. I remember there being a Naruto game that seemed to push the system graphically
I could be remembering wrong, though.
anyone know which game I'm talking about?

Naruto Shippuden: Ninja Destiny 2

Not as good as the above DBZ game IMO.

Toddimus Prime

Neo Member
Love these! The cleaner IQ brings out some really strong poly work. DS devs had to be really efficient didn't they? I reckon this will become a more common art style in the indy scene, as a reaction to the saturation of 8-bit stuff.

Reminds me of a recent thread made on GAF about low poly art. Can't remember the OP but it displayed some awesome stuff!

Dryk

This reminds of the time I played Mario Kart 64 on a decent TV and noticed that the racers were sprites. I never realise NSMB was mostly 2D until now.

dhlt25

How is it possible that these super low res ds games blow up has much better graphic and way easier to read font than a lot of recent indie "pixel art" release?

Seik

Banned
Interesting, really interesting

Anyone have an easy tutorial about how to rip a DS game library? I bought an Acekart 2i for this sole purpose yet I never managed to make it works properly. Since I have more than 20 DS games I'd like to do some tests with this emulator.

Wichu

Also, Ghost Trick.

Or Solotarobo

Haven't played the others, but these two use pre-rendered sprites (other than the player character in Solatorobo), so I wouldn't have high expectations. Ghost Trick will look practically identical, while Solatorobo will look like a blurry mess.

Top Bottom