• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS production stops

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Sad, but I had a feeling this would happen.

Hopefully this will finally end any 3DS / DS confusion.

watershed

Banned
this sounds nice but it's never happened that a manufacturer has had two vibrant consoles or handhelds at the same time. so why expect it now?

i mean even the ps2 was clearly on its way out when ps3 arrived.
PS2 is the perfect example, it kept selling after the PS3 came out even though it clearly wasn't Sony's main platform. I think they also pushed in smaller/developing markets where the PS3 wasn't available.

sphinx

the piano man
by far, the biggest success story out of the big five consoles in this ending generation.

well played, nintendo.

Hasney

PS2 is the perfect example, it kept selling after the PS3 came out even though it clearly wasn't Sony's main platform. I think they also pushed in smaller/developing markets where the PS3 wasn't available.

Exactly. Hence the yearly E3 PS2 sales slide.

Shahadan

Good news for 3DS. I often see people in stores being fooled by the guys working there into buying a regular Ds instead of 3DS.
"Yeah it's the same without the 3D!"

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
They could have kept it going, but I guess they want to transition all their handheld sales to 3DS, and help boost its numbers for next year. 3DS numbers were down this year, right? So they're probably wanting to shunt all focus onto it, both their own and the market's.

Ce-Lin

DS Lite best console I've ever owned, and I own all of them, got a factory sealed extra unit around just in case but my white DS Lite 2006 model is still going strong, what a fantastic system, such awesome games everywhere, truly one to be nostalgically remembered when we're all old and done.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I want somebody to link the pre-release threads where people were posting weird mockups of what the DS could look like, and ones where all you FUH-RAUDS were saying the PSP was going to bury that machine.

I wasn't able to find them.

serplux

Umm...guys (from the European PR of the results briefing):

"Nintendo will continue to sell Nintendo DS Hardware but is not revealing a unit sales forecast at this time."

They're still selling the thing.

Vashetti

Banned

"Nintendo will continue to sell Nintendo DS Hardware but is not revealing a unit sales forecast at this time."

Awesome!

Does anyone fancy diagnosing my DS Lite problem?

I can't get a charge on it at all. It's just a dead brick at the moment. Tried several chargers, nothing - the orange charge indicator light doesn't even come on.

To me that seems like the internal battery has died. Is it possible to replace it? If so, is it affordable?

I miss my DS Lite (white) so much, I took it everywhere and would love to get it fixed. It's not the same running the games on an emulator ;_;

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
My favorite handheld. So many great games came out for it and introduced me to new gaming experiences and franchises. 3DS has disappointed me greatly so far. Long live DS!

Zaventem

Oh cool! we still have a chance to beat the ps2.

nubbe

Everyone spited and pissed at it and yet it became an tremendous success.

Thanks Nintendogs and Brain Traning

The undisputed king of handheld consoles. Like this year's previous casualty, the PS2, I will keep playing and finding more hidden gems in its massive software library.

Edit:

I see, that's good news then! Let the good times continue!

flattie

Amazing system. I remember having no intention of buying the original, but just ended up randomly picking one up while out and about. Ugly little brute, but had some really interesting features.

Then they announced the DSLite, which at the time I thought was a stunning piece of hardware. One which I had no reservations in upgrading to. After the first year on the market, the software really started to pick up, which I appreciated a lot as I spent a lot of time working abroad and had little capacity for console gaming. It was my main gaming device for 4-5 years and I'm sad to see it finally put to rest.

I've only just invested in a 3DS XL and hope that this thing can go on to boast a library that is equally impressive. It's starting to look good....and I can always play my old DS games on it :) I'm still quietly hopeful to see a more refined hardware revision though. Smaller size, better battery and a sleeker body design (hopefully steering clear of shiny plastic).

Either way though, for all the negativity going around relating to Nintendo right now, you can't take away the fact that they comprehensively smashed it with the DS and it is fitting that it is up there as one of the most successful pieces of gaming hardware ever. Completely and utterly deserved.

Vashetti

Banned
Just bought a replacement battery for my DS Lite.

Hopefully this sorts my problem!

If not, it's not too bad because I paid £2.99 for it with a screwdriver included. Cautiously optimistic!

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought they've stopped producing the DS but will continue to sell off the units they've already made.

Edit:
Isn't it still selling like 50-100k in non-holiday months in the US alone? Can't imagine that there is that much unsold stock..

Or maybe I'm wrong...

Celine

Farewell, DS. You made a lot of people eat crow!
1727461017_5e7ed7648e_o.jpg

Jawmuncher

Is the PSP done with production yet?
I'd think so right? That was my portable of last gen.

However I understand the significance the DS brought plus it gave me 2 of my favorite games ever 999 and Ace Attorney so it has a special place just for that.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Best games console ever. (Thanks to the GBA BC allowing the playing of Yoshi's Island GBA on there too, of course)

Take your place in the hall of fame, little fellah.

m0t0k1

Is the PSP done with production yet?
I'd think so right? That was my portable of last gen.

However I understand the significance the DS brought plus it gave me 2 of my favorite games ever 999 and Ace Attorney so it has a special place just for that.

I don't think so i believe the released a new psp line in europe about a year ago.

Wow DS what a ride it was. My favorite system ever by far. You gave me region free EO, Devil Survivor and you gave me okaminden. Also great vn games like Ace Attorney and 999. Also so many pokemon games lol. and finally got the chance to play some remade dragon quest games which i wanted to play for a long time.

Top Bottom