• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo E3 plans detailed

Does anybody take off work for E3? I'm kind of lucky that I don't work during the times of the conferences/Spotlight so I never have to take work off.

I would say they still need one or both of these:
- A strong multiplayer title
- A casual game - 3D mario is not enough, all the other speculated games are way too core focused

Pokemon Stars could be that game, for both, although casuals don't often use the multiplayer functionality afaik.

If we go by Shikamaru Ninja's first party thread we can see which teams might be able to release something:

...Updated!

Tantalus is working on Sonic Mania for the Switch, not sure how large they are and how many games they can work on at once, but it's worth mentioning in the post, I think.

As for the Pokemon thing, yeah, the game is pretty damn accessible and is a fairly strong multiplayer title (does anyone have any numbers that could point to how many players actually battle or trade online?), I'd have to imagine.

I think, as far as multiplayer games go, the Switch has enough for the year. I mean, MK8D, ARMS, and Splatoon 2, plus those online VC games we're supposed to get later, on top of stuff like FIFA and NBA 2K? All the Switch is missing is major shooters like CoD, games like Overwatch, and MMOs.

Does anybody take off work for E3? I'm kind of lucky that I don't work during the times of the conferences/Spotlight so I never have to take work off.
Back when I worked I used to. I'm in college now, but I have missed a class period or two so I can watch the Nintendo event in past years.

Kthulhu

I'm planning on doing it for the day of Nintendo's conference.

MS and Bethesda have theirs on Sunday, EA's is on Saturday, and Sony's is at 8pm for me, so the only one I'll end up missing is Ubisoft's, which I'll just watch when I get home and do my best to avoid the internet.

I don't give a shit about the PC conference. It's been crap every time I've watched it.

I used to back when I worked in retail. Now I have a desk job with my own office so I'll have no problem tuning in while doing other work. Can't complain!

Tantalus is working on Sonic Mania for the Switch, not sure how large they are and how many games they can work on at once, but it's worth mentioning in the post, I think.

As for the Pokemon thing, yeah, the game is pretty damn accessible and is a fairly strong multiplayer title (does anyone have any numbers that could point to how many players actually battle or trade online?), I'd have to imagine.

I think, as far as multiplayer games go, the Switch has enough for the year. I mean, MK8D, ARMS, and Splatoon 2, plus those online VC games we're supposed to get later, on top of stuff like FIFA and NBA 2K? All the Switch is missing is major shooters like CoD, games like Overwatch, and MMOs.

Tantalus are also working on the Switch port of Rime. I agree with your post though. I think, another thing to point out is that both Splatoon 2 and ARMS are getting free DLC. Nintendo will still want people to be playing and buying them by the holidays. Throw in Mario Kart and Pokemon and that's plenty to justify the online subscription.

I know that Blizzard seemed apprehensive about it but Overwatch really would do gangbusters on Switch. It seems like a total no-brainer.

jariw

One thing that I think could possibly be announced at E3 (on the Treehouse Live, not the Nintendo Spotlight, obviously) is more content for Snipperclips. I think Nintendo knows that Snipperclips is good at selling the Switch 2-player experience, and with more content they'd strengthen that IP even more for the Holiday season.

After reading Laura Kate Dale infos about "Pikmin 4 being some sort of reboot, not called "4" and planned for 2017" from a few months ago, isn't "Hey Pikmin" fitting the bill ?

I mean it is a new Pikmin game, not called 4. It features Olimar crashing (again) on a planet. The premise is exactly the same as the first game (also, Olimar is also alone this time again). From previews, it seems the game has a broader appeal, and is aimed at kids with its more accessible gameplay. And it comes out in 2017. We also never had a confirmation "this is not Pikmin 4" (or do we?) about Hey Pikmin. I know it is not internally developped by Nintendo but it's not like Nintendo "gives" its IP and say "do whatever you want"

I've told this story here before but I love sharing it :)

Back in High School I was never allowed to skip, but one E3 I had my mom watch Nintendo's conference and take notes so that when she picked me up from school she could do a recap before I got home to watch it. It was the year Super Mario Galaxy 2 was announced and I actually didn't believe her!

I may attend this year's E3 (I have a ticket but there are some work conflicts), and when I told my family my mom said "ooh, that's what I watched, right?"

I'm really grateful to have a family that supported my passion.

I've told this story here before but I love sharing it :)

Back in High School I was never allowed to skip, but one E3 I had my mom watch Nintendo's conference and take notes so that when she picked me up from school she could do a recap before I got home to watch it. It was the year Super Mario Galaxy 2 was announced and I actually didn't believe her!

I may attend this year's E3 (I have a ticket but there are some work conflicts), and when I told my family my mom said "ooh, that's what I watched, right?"

I'm really grateful to have a family that supported my passion.
That's such a sweet memory! I watched my first E3 in 2010. I was still in high school and when my sister realized she watched the E3 event with me. I think Kirby Epic Yarn was announced that year.

After reading Laura Kate Dale infos about "Pikmin 4 being some sort of reboot, not called "4" and planned for 2017" from a few months ago, isn't "Hey Pikmin" fitting the bill ?

I mean it is a new Pikmin game, not called 4. It features Olimar crashing (again) on a planet. The premise is exactly the same as the first game (also, Olimar is also alone this time again). From previews, it seems the game has a broader appeal, and is aimed at kids with its more accessible gameplay. And it comes out in 2017. We also never had a confirmation "this is not Pikmin 4" (or do we?) about Hey Pikmin. I know it is not internally developped by Nintendo but it's not like Nintendo "gives" its IP and say "do whatever you want"

I've wondered about this, but weren't the original rumblings about the supposed Pikmin 4 from interviews with Miyamoto? I don't think we've seen definite confirmation that "Hey! Pikmin!" is the game he was talking about, but we haven't seen evidence to the contrary either.

Given that they have a nearly complete (or absolutely complete) 3D Mario game that they're just sitting on until fall, I wouldn't rule out Pikmin 4 being a thing. It seems like there were quite a few Wii-U projects that got shifted over to Switch.

LA Noire & Mario x Rabbids (an exclusive) are slated for potential September releases. Though I agree with folks saying Smash 4 could be Sept/Oct because I think Nintendo needs a major online game to help them launch their online service and Smash would be the best title for that.

Plus, Mario Odyssey is a massive game in its own right, but Nintendo needs more than Mario, FE:W, and Xenoblade 2 to carry Switch this holiday.

So apparently there won't be any "new" Rockstar games at E3?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1379427

Then when will the LA Noire Remaster be announced? Or is that not considered "new"?

I'm actually very skeptical about that for the same reasons. In fact, when you actually look at Miyamoto's quotes about a new Pikmin game... there's nothing in them that proves he isn't referring to Hey Pikmin.

The only reason people are hoping there is some other mysterious Pikmin game is because a Nintendo representative said "We can confirm Pikmin 4 is in development, but nothing else." Miyamoto himself said nothing that suggested it was a mainline game on consoles, just that it was a Pikmin game that was "close to completion". "Pikmin teams are always working on the next one." Except he didn't define who these "Pikmin teams" are. Could easily just be himself and any other relevant producers. Also note the plural - he didn't specify EPD.

Surely Occam's razor would suggest the actual Pikmin game close to completion that we've already seen is what he was referring to. To say nothing about the fact that it's on 3DS; a system that makes sense for them to have been developing for in 2015.

Mediking

LA Noire & Mario x Rabbids (an exclusive) are slated for potential September releases. Though I agree with folks saying Smash 4 could be Sept/Oct because I think Nintendo needs a major online game to help them launch their online service and Smash would be the best title for that.

Plus, Mario Odyssey is a massive game in its own right, but Nintendo needs more than Mario, FE:W, and Xenoblade 2 to carry Switch this holiday.

Wow... thanks for sharing. :)

Any idea about Pokemon?

Platy

If I was Nintendo I would have launched the online with Mario Maker, which is PERFECT for an internet service that might start with some problems like every internet service

I can't see Pokemon and Smash releasing this year. Even though Smash is a port and sold a lot on 3DS, it can still well and the line up without it is pretty stacked already. Pokemon makes more sense to release this year than Smash Bros. to convince people of Switch's portability and future Pokemon titles for their fans.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I can't see Pokemon and Smash releasing this year. Even though Smash is a port and sold a lot on 3DS, it can still well and the line up without it is pretty stacked already. Pokemon makes more sense to release this year than Smash Bros. to convince people of Switch's portability and future Pokemon titles for their fans.

I agree that its one or the other. Nintendo has been very strategic with releases so far and I think Mario, Smash AND Pokemon would be overkill.

tebunker

Banned

Stop playing my heart strings sam.. You know too much to not be trouble but are too coy for your own good.

And I agree, people didn't want to listen earlier but Nintendo cannot afford to not overstuff the channels. Most of their titles are evergreen as is so it will only look good for them to have a wide swath of titles even if Mario gets the lionshare of sales. You have to keep up appearances. It is the only way they can truly change the way folks see them in the wider market.

FinalAres

Am I the only one who thinks that Mario, Skyrim and Xenoblade is totally enough to carry Christmas? If there's Pokemon Stars too then that's a full slate.

Platy

Yeah, it is the console's first Christmas...only Mario would have been enough

None that I've seen, but I still firmly believe that it'll be at E3 based on hope alone. Summer just seems like the perfect time to get it started before the one free game rental per month thing starts in fall.

It is only going to be on E3 if they announce random Mother 3 or something weirder like GameCube or Saturn or Dreamcast support

Am I the only one who thinks that Mario, Skyrim and Xenoblade is totally enough to carry Christmas? If there's Pokemon Stars too then that's a full slate.

I'm not convinced that those games are enough personally. Skyrim and Xenoblade will have audiences for sure, but not in the way that Smash would. As others have noted, they could also use an online-focused title to really push their service that launches in fall. I don't think MK8, Splatoon 2, and ARMS will be enough.

It is only going to be on E3 if they announce random Mother 3 or something weirder like GameCube or Saturn or Dreamcast support

I'm of the belief that the Virtual Console service needs an overhaul for Switch. Launching it with at least one or more big games that people have wanted for a while would be great, but I don't think they need that to justify talking about it at E3.

XandBosch

Hope the LA Noire rumours are fake and we either get an RDR remaster instead or...nothing. I'd be worried that no one would buy LA Noire for Switch (like myself) and Rockstar would think they don't have an audience there.

DMONKUMA

Hope the LA Noire rumours are fake and we either get an RDR remaster instead or...nothing. I'd be worried that no one would buy LA Noire for Switch (like myself) and Rockstar would think they don't have an audience there.

Well I mean it's been hinted at by others and the remaster is suppose to be on other systems as well.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

Rockstar probably isn't going to bother with Switch either way.

XandBosch

Rockstar probably isn't going to bother with Switch either way.

I mean yeah - I'm just saying that if they're thinking about it, and this might be their way of testing the waters - it's the wrong way to do it.

Put Red Dead Redemption on it instead, and I guarantee that shit would sell like CRAZY.

jmizzal

I don't think Smash is releasing this year. Pokemon, maybe.

The big case for Smash releasing this year is that Nintendo will need a big online game for when they start charging for online. ARMs and Splatoon would have been out for months, they will need something fresh.

Darhkwing

Why do you think Nintendo are having to introduce a paid subscription service?

Because big games like call of duty and GTA require a decent service.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Road to E3 is somehow worrying imho
I mean: the main goal the Switch should have been in terms of being an hybrid would have been to merge the portable and home usual output (from Nintendo, Japanese softco usually working on portable and indie scene - not talking about an actual change of sort in terms of third party relationship)
This should have created a landscape with way more games than before (the classic "3ds + Wii U lineups merged togheter" thing you know), with way less voids/droughts

Instead it seems to me that we are seeing a normal (even if well balanced, compared to the 3DS or Wii U first 6 months) release schedule, still waaay thinner than competitors

I mean: Emily Rogers hinted many times at a Switch first year (I've always assumed March/December 2017) lineup able to destory the Wii U year 1 one.
Even if we'll see MarioxRabbids, Fire Emblem Warriors, Mario Oddissey and Xenoblade 2 all released in the second half of the year, I'd say that it is a great lineup of first/second party products, exclusive (more or less) to the system, very interesting and probably able to attract way more buyers than the Wii U, but still a "simple" even if well-managed usual Nintendo home console lineup.

Nothing mind blowing, in terms of "change of pace" in terms of software release.

I'd say that Nintendo should REALLY pump way more software out starting from Q1 2018 (once the production ramp up of the console should have been adjusted), with an E3 full of reveals also for the projects that will hit the system later on, actually confirming this "rumored" merge between their portable and home internal/partnership software output

What do you think?

Zedark

I mean: the main goal the Switch should have been in terms of being an hybrid would have been to merge the portable and home usual output (from Nintendo, Japanese softco usually working on portable and indie scene - not talking about an actual change of sort in terms of third party relationship)
This should have created a landscape with way more games than before (the classic "3ds + Wii U lineups merged togheter" thing you know), with way less voids/droughts

Instead it seems to me that we are seeing a normal (even if well balanced, compared to the 3DS or Wii U first 6 months) release schedule, still waaay thinner than competitors

I mean: Emily Rogers hinted many times at a Switch first year (I've always assumed March/December 2017) lineup able to destory the Wii U year 1 one.
Even if we'll see MarioxRabbids, Fire Emblem Warriors, Mario Oddissey and Xenoblade 2 all released in the second half of the year, I'd say that it is a great lineup of first/second party products, exclusive (more or less) to the system, very interesting and probably able to attract way more buyers than the Wii U, but still a "simple" even if well-managed usual Nintendo home console lineup.

Nothing mind blowing, in terms of "change of pace" in terms of software release.

I'd say that Nintendo should REALLY pump way more software out starting from Q1 2018 (once the production ramp up of the console should have been adjusted), with an E3 full of reveals also for the projects that will hit the system later on, actually confirming this "rumored" merge between their portable and home internal/partnership software output

What do you think?

Rogers was referring to the first calendar year, through to March 2018. See also said we would have Pokémon, Smash Bros, Metroid and a Retro new IP during that time period as well. I would say that's a very impressive lineup, and better than any odd Wii U/3DS lineup (I mean, Zelda, Mario, Pokémon, Metroid, Smash Bros, Xenoblade, Splatoon 2 and several smaller IP and new IP? That's massive if it materialises).

If Rogers is right, the release schedule from Nintendo IP through to March 2018 would be this:
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild;
- Snipperclips (can someone confirm/reject this being a first party IP?);
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe;
- ARMS;
- Splatoon 2;
- Mario x Rabbids: Kingdom Battle;
- Fire Emblem Warriors;
- Pokémon Stars;
- Super Mario Odyssey;
- Xenoblade Chronicles 2;
- Pikmin 4;
- Retro new IP.

That's a long list of first party titles, and many massive franchise to boot. My knowledge of 3DS and Wii U lineups is not up to snuff, but I doubt either had a lineup quite as great as this.

Edit: Found the tweet:
Emily Rogers said:
Emily Rogers @ArcadeGirl64
@ArcadeGirl64 3D Mario + Zelda + Pokemon + Mario Kart + Splatoon + New IP + Retro Studios game + Pikmin 4...that's first 12 months of Switch
2:52 PM - 16 Nov 2016
337 337 Retweets 676 676 likes
Have adjusted for what is and isn't there (plus what we know is coming already (she didn't know a full lineup per se, she just heard about projects for the first year). Also, looks like there wasn't a Metroid title according to her. The new IP she mentions is most likely ARMS btw.

Tregard

Soothsayer
I'd rebuy LA Noire, I suspect I'm in the minority though. It's certainly one of Rockstar's less replayable titles though.

What do you think?

Wasn't Emily's point about "destroying the Wii-U" based on first party output? In relation to that, I think Nintendo is doing a fantastic job of planning to release at least one great game per month on their own. That's a level of output that they used to accomplish between both 3DS and Wii-U, so I think we're already seeing some benefits of that approach.

As time goes on I think they'll speed things up, but I don't ever want them to release 4+ first party titles per month. Give me at least one first party game and back it with third party and I'll be more than happy. I've had no complaints about the software output on Switch thus far.

What do you think?

Honestly I think the first party lineup we know about is better than either the Wii U's or 3DS first years by a good measure, both in quantity and quality. But I do agree that they should really hammer home that idea of combined output at E3, and I'm hoping they do so. Who knows though.

A big first party game every calendar month from launch till the end of the year is a pretty noteworthy feat. Sure, May lacks anything from Nintendo but it still has the Nintendo version of minecraft, disgaea, and other titles. With Rabbids basically confirmed real we'd need like 1 more game announced (with two rumored being Smash and Pokemon) to have a full calendar year.
We don't know much of 2018, though. Maybe things will slow down but it's looking pretty good so far and it's what I've wanted from Nintendo for awhile.

Assuming nothing gets delayed or at least one more game gets announced that would be around 10+ first party titles for the first 9 months.

MoonFrog

I'm just hoping that Japan is fully on board sooner rather than later...Things like the recent Level 5 comment are worrying as fuck that Switch will have a slow start once Nintendo's initial onslaught ends (and it is a strong effort from them, and hopefully markedly stronger than we even know).

Nintendo ideally would have had Japan confident in Switch before it launched and the lag in support cut to a minimum for an industry that tends to be slow in transition.

I'm just hoping that Japan is fully on board sooner rather than later...Things like the recent Level 5 comment are worrying as fuck that Switch will have a slow start once Nintendo's initial onslaught ends (and it is a strong effort from them, and hopefully markedly stronger than we even know).

Nintendo ideally would have had Japan confident in Switch before it launched and the lag in support cut to a minimum for an industry that tends to be slow in transition.
I believe Nintendo said they'd let the 3rd parties carry 3DS for a couple months, seems like Switch might be the opposite with Nintendo establishing an exclusive library early on and hoping 3rd parties come in later?
Do hope it doesn't take too long for 3rd parties to start supporting it.

Top Bottom