• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo E3 plans detailed

MoonFrog

pikmin will always survive thanks to miyamoto.

around 2015 i played through all of metroids. the prime games were really good on shaking up areas and planets even if prime 1 is my favorite. 2d metroid is always in zebes or zebes-like.

The powerups also need to change a little, you always have the screw attack, morph ball, missile, ice missile, etc.

You can see that retro also tried to appeal to a wider audience with prime 2 including a multiplayer and prime 3 bigger focus on the federation and interaction with npcs.

Maybe with the audience of the switch being more hardcore with the lineup from nintendo will help a new metroid.

Yeah, that's a big part of what Metroid lacks. It isn't Miyamoto's. It doesn't have Miyamoto's successors guiding the franchise. But...still it was Miyamoto who thought it had to be done in 3D and pushed for Prime.

Sponge

Banned
That was a relic of the time. It's simply not possible to make the sheer amount of games to the quality people would expect now from any company.

That's absolutely true. However even current Rare has two teams that are working on Sea of Thieves and one unannounced title. I'm surprised Retro still can't have two teams making games.

DMONKUMA

That's absolutely true. However even current Rare has two teams that are working on Sea of Thieves and one unannounced title. I'm surprised Retro still can't have two teams making games.

Probably due to the fact that Rare has twice the amount of people compared to Retro.

Yeah, that's a big part of what Metroid lacks. It isn't Miyamoto's. It doesn't have Miyamoto's successors guiding the franchise. But...still it was Miyamoto who thought it had to be done in 3D and pushed for Prime.

I feel like if there's any system that will do a Prime game well, it's the Switch.

Heck, they should start out by just doing the Prime Trilogy on it, and then build momentum for the next Metroid game with that; the switch could handle it, right?

I think Switch is Pikmin's time to finally shine. A mainline entry has never debuted on a successful Nintendo platform.

I still think it was an absolute fuckup on Nintendo's part to not get Pikmin 3 out on Wii and making us wait like nine whole years for it to die on Wii U.

A lot of people talk about how unsuccessful a franchise Pikmin is, but really, the games actually sold pretty alright until Pikmin 3. The first game sold around 1.60 million, which isn't bad at all for a new IP on a relatively unpopular platform. Pikmin 2 sold roughly on par on that with 1.12 million units sold. It's really only Pikmin 3 that didn't do very well at all, and a lot of that was because of how even more unpopular the Wii U was.

Really, Pikmin 3 should of been out for the Wii by 2007 or 2008 or something, where the Wii was at the height of its popularity and where motion controls had a lot of buzz surrounding them. Pikmin and Star Fox were two franchises that felt like they were practically made for the Wii, and yet they skipped out that generation. At least Pikmin 3 still turned out great, unlike SF Zero.

DMONKUMA

How do you know Retro don't have 2 projects? It has been 4 years since TF was finished

For a studio of their size it's unlikely depending on the size of their projects. If their assisting one project and developing a major project then maybe, but developing one project and working on another simultaneously.... I can't really imagine it, only if the second project is In very early stages and the primary is close to completion.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

Two "teams". Confirm this by sighting two games that released in a year within each other? Two years? Three years?

Sponge

Banned
Two "teams". Confirm this by sighting two games that released in a year within each other? Two years? Three years?

Can't answer that one. It's just surprising to me Retro takes as long as it does with a game. I'm probably in the wrong though and likely it isn't as feasable for them to work on two games as I'd like to imagine.

Josh5890

So what would piss off Gaf more? No announcement from Retro Studios at E3 or a new Donkey Kong Country by Retro announced at E3?

ASIS

So what would piss off Gaf more? No announcement from Retro Studios at E3 or a new Donkey Kong Country by Retro announced at E3?

a new DKC would make me ecstatic. So definitely no Retro announcement is the choice that will piss me off most.

if there's no retro studio, i freaking hope at least ONE journalist will ask the question about what retro studio is up to at someone from nintendo during e3....

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Wait, so Nintendo's not only not providing E3 conferences anymore, but they're also basically spilling the beans about what they're going to show at E3, eliminating all possible surprises?

Not liking this direction, people.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Wait, so Nintendo's not only not providing E3 conferences anymore, but they're also basically spilling the beans about what they're going to show at E3, eliminating all possible surprises?

Not liking this direction, people.

Uuuuh... what?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

I'd love another DK game, even if it was Retro. Tropical Freeze is one of the best 2D platformers I've played in years, bring it on.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Read the op, yo. They're telling the world that they're going to have SMO playable and having a week long event for it. They've never done that before.

So they basically said nothing about the Spotlight
They simply stated the obvious to start the PR campaign for the game
Are you seriously saying that without this tidbit of info you would have been surprised by seeing oddissey during the "conf" and playable at e3 after the January presentation and the fall release schedule already announced?

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I really want to see Retro, but since the game is likely a 2018 release, I could definitely see it being saved for a fall or early 2018 Direct (or next E3 if it's Holiday 2018). I'm guessing Nintendo will show 1-3 games from 2018, so it'll just be a question of which game(s) they pick.

But I do think, of the 2018 games that could be shown, Retro has a good chance of being selected, especially if Nintendo thinks the game will excite people.

I really want to see Retro, but since the game is likely a 2018 release, I could definitely see it being saved for a fall or early 2018 Direct (or next E3 if it's Holiday 2018). I'm guessing Nintendo will show 1-3 games from 2018, so it'll just be a question of which game(s) they pick.

But I do think, of the 2018 games that could be shown, Retro has a good chance of being selected, especially if Nintendo thinks the game will excite people.

I could be wrong about this, but I'm fairly certain every single Retro game has been announced at E3, excluding Metroid Prime Trilogy on Wii.

Neiteio

It's fun to take rumored titles and titles already announced, and think up a potential release timeline for the rest of the year.

The following is not necessarily what I think will happen, but it's a fun scenario based on things that have been announced or rumored:

JUNE:

- EarthBound 2 (Mother 3), an eShop exclusive, available after the E3 Spotlight
- ARMS, available at the end of E3 (June 16)

JULY:

- Free content updates begin for ARMS
- Virtual Console launch, with GCN titles (Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, etc)
- DLC Pack #1 for Breath of the Wild
- Splatoon 2 at the end of the month

AUGUST:

- Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
- Free content updates begin for Splatoon 2
- Monster Hunter XX (global release)

SEPTEMBER:

- Launch of Nintendo's paid online service
- Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch

NOTE: SSB would help sell online subscriptions
NOTE: SSB launches on third-year anniversary of 3DS game

OCTOBER:

- Fire Emblem Warriors
- Xenoblade Chronicles 2

NOVEMBER:

- Super Mario Odyssey
- Pokemon Stars

DECEMBER:

- DLC Pack #2 for Breath of the Wild

NOTE: The new story content for Zelda will remind people why it's a GOTY contender.

The more I think about Retro-made 3D Donkey Kong, the more I want Retro-made 3D Donkey Kong

Seriously, imagine a sandbox-style world that looks like Juicy Jungle from Tropical Freeze

Actually, maybe it should be more linear like Super Mario 3D World, since Super Mario Odyssey already has the sandbox covered

I wish they would have done this to begin with. I love the idea of 3D Kong, shame it has only been done once, and not very well.

It's fun to take rumored titles and titles already announced, and think up a potential release timeline for the rest of the year.

The following is not necessarily what I think will happen, but it's a fun scenario based on things that have been announced or rumored:

JUNE:

- EarthBound 2 (Mother 3), an eShop exclusive, available after the E3 Spotlight
- ARMS, available at the end of E3 (June 16)

JULY:

- Free content updates begin for ARMS
- Virtual Console launch, with GCN titles (Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, etc)
- DLC Pack #1 for Breath of the Wild
- Splatoon 2 at the end of the month

AUGUST:

- Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
- Free content updates begin for Splatoon 2
- Monster Hunter XX (global release)

SEPTEMBER:

- Launch of Nintendo's paid online service
- Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch

NOTE: SSB would help sell online subscriptions

OCTOBER:

- Fire Emblem Warriors
- Xenoblade Chronicles 2

NOVEMBER:

- Super Mario Odyssey
- Pokemon Stars

DECEMBER:

- DLC Pack #2 for Breath of the Wild

NOTE: The new story content for Zelda will remind people why it's a GOTY contender.

If Xenoblade 2 comes out this year, it'll be a december title

I still think it was an absolute fuckup on Nintendo's part to not get Pikmin 3 out on Wii and making us wait like nine whole years for it to die on Wii U.

A lot of people talk about how unsuccessful a franchise Pikmin is, but really, the games actually sold pretty alright until Pikmin 3. The first game sold around 1.60 million, which isn't bad at all for a new IP on a relatively unpopular platform. Pikmin 2 sold roughly on par on that with 1.12 million units sold. It's really only Pikmin 3 that didn't do very well at all, and a lot of that was because of how even more unpopular the Wii U was.

Really, Pikmin 3 should of been out for the Wii by 2007 or 2008 or something, where the Wii was at the height of its popularity and where motion controls had a lot of buzz surrounding them. Pikmin and Star Fox were two franchises that felt like they were practically made for the Wii, and yet they skipped out that generation. At least Pikmin 3 still turned out great, unlike SF Zero.

This was made all the worse by how perfect pointer controls were for the franchise. Both that and Luigi's mansion were games that were perfect for the wii controls and should have been released.

Neiteio, a few corrections based off what I assume:

Zelda DLC Pack 2 is October/November, Xenoblade 2 is December like Xenoblade Chronicles X, Monster Hunter XX in September in the US over Smash, if Pokémon/Smash come out this year they come out in late October and Fire Emblem Warriors is early October or late September.

Top Bottom