• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Ending Wi-Fi Connection Worldwide on May 20th

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does this mean for DQIX?

I have all the Layton games on the pile of shame. Can I log in and download the stuff for them without actually playing the games?

I don't condone piracy but flashcarts have a legit reason to exist.

Yup. Things like the Professor Layton series and Dragon Quest IX are just unlocking content, not actually downloading it, so worst-case scenario you could always unlock the content in the future with an Action Replay. However, the Picross games are actually downloading the puzzles, so once online is gone, they're gone. Which is a big problem since all of the downloadable puzzles cannot fit on one cart.

For any Picross DS or Picross 3D fans out there that are trying to decide which puzzles to keep and which to abandon to the void forever, I would highly recommend you look into a flashcart as a means of preserving ALL of the downloadable puzzles. I don't condone piracy, but short of buying 10 copies of Picross DS, this is the only way to keep all these puzzles.

So now I read about the fact the NAND save format used by Wario Ware DIY and Jam with the Band (but possibly not the Japanese release) it was never figured out how to dump it. Also I wonder what the lifetime of the NAND exactly is...

Double crap, I forgot about DQVC! DQ IX has been on my pile of shame for so long I had forgotten all about it! Well it just got promoted to the top of my list. Right after I’m done with Bravely Default.
Earlier in the thread someone said it has been down for over a year. Thanks Square Enix. Better invest in an action replay or something if you want to see the content...

Havent Pokemon White and Black 2 only been out like.....16 months? and they are cutting off the internet?

OK.
The Dream world died shortly after the Pokemon XY release. I can't imagine many people battle anymore and Gen 5 GTS is not fun with no way to filter all the level 9 or under Zekrom requests from any Pokemon.

Piccoro

Hi everyone, I have a bit of a tech problem. I realise how ridiculous this method is but bear with me.

I have a Nintendo WiFi USB Connector from years ago, and my internet isn't WEP, so I'm having to figure out a way to use it so I can go on a WiFi spree. Changing the internet type isn't really an option because I don't want to annoy everyone else in the house by having them have to reenter passwords, then reenter them again when I change back to a more secure network. Plus it's kinda fun trying to get this to work.

Anyway, I have Windows 8, and the Wifi USB connector doesn't support a Windows OS past Vista. Running setup in compatibility mode doesn't cut it either, the drivers simply aren't compatible. So I set up a virtual machine running Windows XP. Surprisingly I didn't mess that step up, and I plugged in the WiFi connector, activated it in VirtualBox installed the drivers on the virtual machine.

From there, everything seemed to work fine. My DS picked up the connector, the Nintendo program found my DS and gave me access to WiFi. But I'm stuck on the final step, in WiFi settings on my DS...I go through connection settings to register the WiFi signal, but when testing the connection my DS displays an internet connection for about 3-4 seconds, then the bars go red and the connection test fails. My Virtual Machine can access the internet, so I don't know what the problem could be.

Does anyone with experience with the Nintendo WiFi Connector/virtual machines/this exact same setup(doubtful) know what the problem could be? Thanks in advance. Yes I know this is stupid. But I want Dragon Quest IX stuff :(

Hi lewisgn. Well, I never tried the Wifi Connector, but here's a method I used to play DS games online. If you can, try this:

1- Find an old cheap router that supports WEP
2- Connect your cheap router to your normal router with a network cable. Your normal router will provide internet to your cheap router through cable.
3- Configure your cheap router to transmit a wireless WEP signal. Your normal router will still continue to transmit a normal Wifi connection.
4- Now everyone in your house can still connect to the normal connection, while the DS will use the cheap router's WEP signal.

I used this for my little brother and it works. The only thing that is kind of hard, is to configure Static IP's in the cheap router, because it will have to be in the same subnet of the normal router. If you wanna try this and have some difficulty, tell me and I will help you.

StayDead

Man. I remember purchasing The Dongle so I could play Mario Kart DS. It seemed mindblowing to actually be playing Nintendo games online after the GameCube era.

...Though I guess it was the GameCube era still. November 2005, before the Wii and even a week before the Xbox 360.

The gamecube also had online play as well :p

M3d10n

I don't even understand what's the point of doing that anyway… nobody's gonna do business with them after these terrible 2012+ precedents.

GameSpy was bought in 2012, right? The 3DS came out in 2011. I just hope that the reason online 3DS games didn't use "Nintendo Wifi Connection" and the whole birth of Nintendo Network means Nintendo saw the writing in the wall and moved away from GameSpy.

Jazzem

DS games on Wii U will most likely have no online play.

If they were smart (and sneaky), they'd make that a selling point for them to allow people to play those games online again.

But then they do have the attitude of "If it's too hard, we won't bother" when it comes to features in VC games :| You can't expect people to pay premium prices and then not treat them like premium products...

Picross DS and 3D have save files for all the downloadable puzzles.

Just connected Jam with the band online. Total number of songs when set to the UK is 370. I do not like the game enough to buy 6 additional copies of it in the off chance the NAND save format is figured out.

Plus I would have to write down all of the downloadable songs as the navigation is terrible.

Kinda related. There are Flipnote studio private servers? (constructied from some packet dumps made before the service shut down)

Another related thing. If you have compatible games and a router with custom firmware this website is looking for packet dumps for Wi-Fi connection games. Seems brawl uses SSL encryption for connection but the Mario Kart Wii dumps say nothing of the sort. I'd say packet dumps for things like Fire Emblem would be very helpful (as it also had a shop as part of its online, which was the only way to get the falcoknight promotion item...well aside form cheat cartridge of course).

Eusis

GameSpy was bought in 2012, right? The 3DS came out in 2011. I just hope that the reason online 3DS games didn't use "Nintendo Wifi Connection" and the whole birth of Nintendo Network means Nintendo saw the writing in the wall and moved away from GameSpy.
I do believe GameSpy was more relevant in the early to mid 2000s than they were in the last few years, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was a mix of seeing issues cropping up and the fact they had more flexibility with it kept internal. But yeah, IGN wasn't in the best spot then as I recall so it was probably a foreseeable problem.

FyreWulff

Fairly sure Nintendo Network was done entirely in-house. I've never seen a press release stating a partnership.

IQ did a decent op ed on this. Sucks though that this is happening.

http://bit.ly/MEFRN3

Even without Nintendo’s blessing, enthusiasts will undoubtedly find a way to hack together an online community based on the Nintendo Wi-Fi connection, but it will not have the quality or safeguards in place to both protect quality and the consumer.
Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/1153422/sh...-source-code-be-released/#xzyjtt6CiMghUPCJ.99

I don't agree with that. In Mario Kart Wii at least, hackers have created a cheat-free online mod and have patched glitches on Nintendo tracks that Nintendo themselves never patched, not to mention multiple other added functionnalities that significantly improve the experience, while still having the same “safeguards for the consumer” (aka lol Friend Codes and no voice chat) as the original game.

So now I read about the fact the NAND save format used by Wario Ware DIY and Jam with the Band (but possibly not the Japanese release) it was never figured out how to dump it. Also I wonder what the lifetime of the NAND exactly is...

Earlier in the thread someone said it has been down for over a year. Thanks Square Enix. Better invest in an action replay or something if you want to see the content...

The Dream world died shortly after the Pokemon XY release. I can't imagine many people battle anymore and Gen 5 GTS is not fun with no way to filter all the level 9 or under Zekrom requests from any Pokemon.

Can an action reply unlock the grottos?

jimi_dini

For anyone that cares:

I played Last Story online for the last few days and it was fucking awesome. I hope that they release Last Story 2 at some point and include online play for the whole game instead of just 5 bosses.

There are still people playing it. Sometimes I had to wait for 30-40 minutes though. I played with plenty of Max Level dudes and it was really awesome. I love it. I even played with 5 more players quite a few times, which was insane.

Still need to unlock 4 weapons, that are exclusive to deathmatch. So if anyone wants to boost them, just contact me via PM. I'm from Europe. I'm 100% into coop and not a fan of deathmatch-type games, but would like to get the weapons into my collection.

Shiggy

For anyone that cares:

I played Last Story online for the last few days and it was fucking awesome. I hope that they release Last Story 2 at some point and include online play for the whole game instead of just 5 bosses.

There are still people playing it. Sometimes I had to wait for 30-40 minutes though. I played with plenty of Max Level dudes and it was really awesome. I love it. I even played with 5 more players quite a few times, which was insane.

Still need to unlock 4 weapons, that are exclusive to deathmatch. So if anyone wants to boost them, just contact me via PM. I'm from Europe. I'm 100% into coop and not a fan of deathmatch-type games, but would like to get the weapons into my collection.

I was already wondering about this. I even had trouble finding other players shortly after release. With a lot of other players, the multiplayer was great. As soon as it was just you and another player, the bosses seemed way too powerful.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Maybe I should give Last Story's online a go. Would be interesting to see what the dye actually did.

Banned
Nintendos servers can barely deal with Steel Diver, I think they're panicking about the remote chance MK8 is a huge hit online.

Shiggy

Nintendos servers can barely deal with Steel Diver, I think they're panicking about the remote chance MK8 is a huge hit online.

I haven't had any trouble with Steel Diver in the past few days. Were there huge issues during launch?

jimi_dini

I was already wondering about this. I even had trouble finding other players shortly after release. With a lot of other players, the multiplayer was great. As soon as it was just you and another player, the bosses seemed way too powerful.

It's fine. Yesterday I beat the hardest one
actually two heh
with one other player. And we managed to do this around 3 or 4 times. Requires quite some skill, but it's doable. Beating it as 6 players is much more awesome of course, especially when all of them know what they are doing. When you beat them the first time, you get really powerful weapons. I upgraded the one from the last boss and it does quite some damage. Helped me quite a bit in single player. And I'm that weak, that quite a few boss attacks in online mode kill me instantly. I had to learn how to evade/block the attacks.

Sure, there was a newbie yesterday, that managed to fuck up the whole team by constantly breaking the healing area in front of the 1st boss. He also constantly let himself get killed, then we got the 2 minute countdown and it was over.

They won't license the tech out for new games so it's a likely possibility.

They're pretty much being miserable fucks with GameSpy's customers.

Annual support costs are calculated at 10% of the then current License Fees.
License Fees are $44,000.00 per platform which includes your first year of distribution.

Holy crap. That's per game? Considering that most games are either really low bandwidth (Professor Layton puzzles) or played by just a handful players, that quite a sum.

Shiggy

It's fine. Yesterday I beat the hardest one
actually two heh
with one other player. And we managed to do this around 3 or 4 times. Requires quite some skill, but it's doable. Beating it as 6 players is much more awesome of course, especially when all of them know what they are doing. When you beat them the first time, you get really powerful weapons. I upgraded the one from the last boss and it does quite some damage. Helped me quite a bit in single player. And I'm that weak, that quite a few boss attacks in online mode kill me instantly. I had to learn how to evade/block the attacks.

Sure, there was a newbie yesterday, that managed to fuck up the whole team by constantly breaking the healing area in front of the 1st boss. He also constantly let himself get killed, then we got the 2 minute countdown and it was over.

The game was really great. I absolutely loved the linearity of the main story as well as the cutscenesl Perhaps I should start a New Game+.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The game was really great. I absolutely loved the linearity of the main story as well as the cutscenesl Perhaps I should start a New Game+.

I think I'd need to start a New Game+ to get used to the battle system again.

jimi_dini

Yeah. The first few minutes I was "wat?", everything felt weird, maybe I accidentally skipped part of the intro, but I have now warmed up to the characters. The city is really nice, so much detail everywhere. And the british voice acting is something different. I needed some time to get used to it, but now I love it.

And I also loved the troll chapter, where you
try to escape the prison and then get to a deadend and return to your cell

So happy, that I bought the Limited Edition day 1. I should have played it way earlier.

Another related thing. If you have compatible games and a router with custom firmware this website is looking for packet dumps for Wi-Fi connection games.
The site has been updated with instructions on how to dump packets using android and emulators (Dolphin and DeSmuME). Hopefully, this will lead to more games (5 Wii games and 2 DS games so far) getting dumps. Most importantly there is a build of dolphin that can dump unencrypted SSL.

Sadly, I find myself stuck watching from the sidelines as the only Internet connection I have is trough a netbook that can not run emulators.

Shiggy

I think I'd need to start a New Game+ to get used to the battle system again.

Sure, I don't think I could remember it just now. I wish a new Mistwalker RPG came to Wii U or 3DS.

I still get failures in worldwide every time

That's strange, I seriously haven't encountered any errors with this title. Perhaps it's a regional thing.

elhav

So what, no more Mario Kary Wii online? That's the only reason to play it... Along with a lot of other games, this is a pretty early move and a pretty annoying one.

Duster

What the hell Nintendo? The Last Story hasn't even been out two years in America.
How is that acceptable?

I really should play the RPGs I buy as I'm yet to even start TLS, same issue with Solotorobo but I can't get my DS online anyway due to the aforementioned issues.

I'm pretty sure I still have a Pokemon on the GTS as I would have put in there back in the days I used Nintendo's WiFi dongle thing, poor guy is just going to be lost in cyberspace.

Joni

Okay, tried to connect online with my DS to make use of the Pokémon GTS before it goes offline. Can't connect to my router because of WPA, can't connect to smartphone hotspot because the DS doesn't feel like it. I don't feel bad about it going offline suddenly.

Picross DS and 3D have save files for all the downloadable puzzles.

Just connected Jam with the band online. Total number of songs when set to the UK is 370. I do not like the game enough to buy 6 additional copies of it in the off chance the NAND save format is figured out.

Plus I would have to write down all of the downloadable songs as the navigation is terrible.

Kinda related. There are Flipnote studio private servers? (constructied from some packet dumps made before the service shut down)

Another related thing. If you have compatible games and a router with custom firmware this website is looking for packet dumps for Wi-Fi connection games. Seems brawl uses SSL encryption for connection but the Mario Kart Wii dumps say nothing of the sort. I'd say packet dumps for things like Fire Emblem would be very helpful (as it also had a shop as part of its online, which was the only way to get the falcoknight promotion item...well aside form cheat cartridge of course).

Cool. Shot that link out to a couple Gamefaqs boards just now.

Effect

This is why I'm sort of holding out hope some Wii games and even DS games might be re-released on the Wii U using the Nintendo Network. I'd love to play The Last Story online again. I didn't at first because I simply had no clue how to play the game. By the time I finally finished the game it was to late and I didn't have time to wait a half hour for a match. It was fun the few times I did play.

What I'm curious about the most is Call of Duty. Black Ops 1 I believe consistently has more then 2000 people playing that daily at any given time. The numbers are likely lower late at night given the area. MW3's numbers are below that. That's equal to the numbers Black Ops 2 and Ghosts are pulling on the Wii U. I believe World at War and even Modern Warfare Reflex (MW1) still have players. Same with the Conduit games. That could get people to migrate to the Wii U finally if they really enjoyed the pointer controls. However no way to know that for sure.

Branduil

Ugh. This is the kind of thing that pushes more and more people to PC gaming.

And the sad thing is it's going to happen all over again in 5-7 years with the new consoles. Online play has really broken the idea of discrete console generations.

This is why I'm sort of holding out hope some Wii games and even DS games might be re-released on the Wii U using the Nintendo Network. I'd love to play The Last Story online again. I didn't at first because I simply had no clue how to play the game. By the time I finally finished the game it was to late and I didn't have time to wait a half hour for a match. It was fun the few times I did play.

What I'm curious about the most is Call of Duty. Black Ops 1 I believe consistently has more then 2000 people playing that daily at any given time. The numbers are likely lower late at night given the area. MW3's numbers are below that. That's equal to the numbers Black Ops 2 and Ghosts are pulling on the Wii U. I believe World at War and even Modern Warfare Reflex (MW1) still have players. Same with the Conduit games. That could get people to migrate to the Wii U finally if they really enjoyed the pointer controls. However no way to know that for sure.

Mind=blown. I remember having fun with the online in Conduit 1 when it came out. Didn't think there'd be anyone left at this point. I feel like going on a binge of online play for a bunch of Wii and DS games now...just because soon I won't be able to ever again.

maxcriden

This is a good question. I've actually tried several times to D/L the Layton bonus puzzles in the last year or so and have never been able to successfully do so. Does anyone know how or if this can still be done?

Reposting this in case anyone can help out. Thank you!

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Okay now that I think of it I believe it is WarioWare DIY sitting on my pile of shame that might be most affected by this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom