• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo files multiple Nintendo Switch patents (controller, dock, architecture*)

Somnid

- Seems to confirm right joycon has an IR sensor (ie pointer).
- Both Joycons have rumble motors
- NFC is in the right Joycon as well
- The grip controller is basically a battery pack

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
This stood out, looks like we can get a joycon with a normal + style dpad and with different button placements?

Like some already expected, nintendo seems to plan to offer a variety of different joycons. maybe limited edition designs? joycons specifically for a game?

Speculation on my part of course.

lyrick

15178984-55a8u9s.png

what's the text behind 352?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
15178984-55a8u9s.png

what's the text behind 352?
A support section.

[0697] The support section 352 is a member for supporting the controllers 3 and 4. As shown in FIG. 54 and FIG. 55, the support section 352 is connected to the main section 351 (specifically, the connection portion 355 of the main section 351). The support section 352 (in other words, the housing of the support section 352) has a generally rectangular parallelepiped outer shape, and the reverse surface (i.e., the surface on the z-axis positive direction side) thereof is connected to the front surface of the connection portion 355 (i.e., the surface on the z-axis negative direction side). Note that in the present embodiment, the housing of the support section 352 is formed by a resin.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
The amount of playstyles this system will provide out of the box is just nuts.

oti

Banned
I'm excited too but keep expectations low. We're probably looking at Google cardboard level VR here.

I could see Miyamoto working on a Pikmin movie short for VR. A virtual tour of Super Nintendo Land. Stuff like that.

ZeroX03

Banned
So far: touch screen, IR, NFC, SD card, rumble, different layout joycons, cardboard style VR, USB C, joycon controller battery, joycon horizontal L&R buttons, four players with single joycons each, prints money and Higher fan rotation when docked?

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Good work OP!

So four Joy Cons with one Switch is indeed possible. Awesome.

I'm excited too but keep expectations low. We're probably looking at Google cardboard level VR here.

To be honest, the difference between something like PSVR and Cardboard VR is not big (or even neglible when using GearVR). Depends on the "Cardboard" you use and the phone.

Just posting this again in case it gets lost, seems like a pretty big deal
15178984-49hiuuc.png

That's a joycon with a normal + dpad and 4 face buttons. Likely used for 2D games like an NES controller or Wii mote.

doop_

Banned
I am not a fan of VR in it's current state and have personally never tried it, i am just surprised Nintendo may actually try it

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
L and R buttons on the Joy-cons (in horizontal position confirmed) - 65 and 66

As does the left controller 3, the right controller 4 also includes a second L button 65 and a second R button 66. As are the operation buttons 53 to 56, these buttons 65 and 66 are used to give instructions in accordance with various programs executed on the main unit 2.

I haven't seen anything about a fan being activated in console mode when docked. Maybe I just missed it?

Also, what's this about tablet mode? I definitely think they could surprise us with a bootable Android mode or something.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
- Seems to confirm right joycon has an IR sensor (ie pointer).
- Both Joycons have rumble motors
- NFC is in the right Joycon as well
- The grip controller is basically a battery pack
Oh nice.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
The file show 4 players with the portable screen breh.

....Well dont use it ? lol
We already know that Mario Kart is happening and it always was gonna have a 4player splitscreen.

moozoom

All those different types of Joycons designs means either they are covering all the possibilities in the patents with variations on the controls and placement of buttons...

OR they will sell different types of controllers to let us customise the experience and the controls depending on the games we play. Which I would be quite hyped for.

Scrawnton

All those different types of Joycons designs means either they are covering all the possibilities in the patents with variations on the controls and placement of buttons...

OR they will sell different types of controllers to let us customise the experience and the controls depending on the games we play. Which I would be quite hyped for.

My bet is they will have a separate joycon to buy at launch that has a traditional d pad.

Nightbird

So VR is possible, although at a low quality (assuming that the 720p are true) which means all you need to play in VR with the Switch is a head attachment.

The Switch is the most insane all-in-one Console i've ever seen.

Top Bottom