• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo files patent application for cloud gaming devices

We are still not at a stage where you can reliable enforce a stable internet connection with no data and speed caps. I hope they aren't doing this, because it will most likely fail.

I really like the approach of a "Handheld + Homeconsole", where you can just take the handheld part on the bus and keep playing your games on a small screen.

I guess that users with crappy internet could still invest in the supplemental computing device and it would provide a boost via physical connection, as the patent describes. Cloud gaming would be extra gravy.

I know the console won't be always online. I'm worried that Nintendo might put out some online only games despite having single player modes if they decide to do some core processing through the cloud (AI for instance).

I just don't see it happening with many games, if any. NX looks to be combining handheld and home console into one super device (or multiple form factors that play the same software, which is the more likely scenario), so having games that require the player to be online at all times just wouldn't make sense. Outside of online MP games of course.

cloudyy

Would it be something like P2P? Maybe if you have a good download/upload ratio you get price discounts on games :lol

It's both

Right, but you have to be able to play these on your handheld, right? Everything is gonna have to be built for playing on a little screen with inevitably weaker tech on the go. This could very well effectively kill Nintendo console style games, or anything that can't be watered down into smaller packages like Smash Bros or Mario Kart. Zelda U could very well be the swan song for that particular style of 3D Zeldas.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
With all the excitement of the hardware opportunities, I'd almost forgotten the only Nintendo franchise I adore is Zelda. Hopefully there are some really great software opportunities for me as well, but I'm not holding my breath. It'd be marvelous to see Nintendo's level of ingenuity and artistry applied to more story-driven experiences.

Santar

If the result of this is that all nintendo's games are online only you've lost me Nintendo.
I really hope this is not the case.

okaygeraldo

Neo Member
Nor are Nintendo hardware marketing messages for that matter.

y2eHRn0.gif

Overall, really exciting times for Nintendo.

Why wouldn't the console do that itself? Seems like a far-fetched idea that a console needs cloud computing power to enhance a portable.

So you only need to buy one device, if you want better graphic/framerate etc., pay some more to for the upgrade kit.

Now for some crazy idea. What if that supplemental device = your PC?

KORNdoggy

No, this is more describing a local cloud.

Imagine purchasing another box that you connect to your console to that adds more CPU cores. Or a second graphics card.

In abstract:
"For instance, the supplemental computing device may couple via a physical connection (e.g., a wired connection) to the game console for processing data associated with the game and providing a result back to the console, and/or for storing game data on behalf of the game console."

but it mentioned using other peoples machines to supplement your own...that needs to be online, surely?

Foffy

Banned
Assuming NX is a hybrid device, I can only imagine console level specs for a handheld to be financially viable with a cloud-based approach.

If true, that's a fantastic concession. Keep the handheld affordability and not Vita yourself out of the market.

jwj442

Right, but you have to be able to play these on your handheld, right? Everything is gonna have to be built for playing on a little screen with inevitably weaker tech on the go. This could very well effectively kill Nintendo console style games, or anything that can't be watered down into smaller packages like Smash Bros or Mario Kart. Zelda U could very well be the swan song for that particular style of 3D Zeldas.
The 3DS has improved versions of both N64 Zeldas (OK, some people debate whether Majora's Mask is better, but not for technical reasons) and ports of Dragon Quest VIII and Xenoblade Chronicles, so I don't think this is a concern. They will need to design their games to scale down to weaker hardware, but PC games have needed to support a wide range of hardware for years and it hasn't held them back.

phanphare

Banned

jumptoconclusionsmat.jpg

Nibel

You can play Ocarina of Time and Mario Kart with no issues on a handheld and Smash as well. Heck, even Vita has 'big' games that work on the system with no issues, from Uncharted to Killzone.

I don't think tech will affect the scope of games but their visual quality, like going from 'high' settings to 'normal' settings, textures being more washed out and so on. Who knows how visible that difference will be: they always surprise with some neat tech like their 3D tech or the Gamepad and its perfect communication.

Besides, Zelda Wii U will most definitely come to NX and that has to run on the system and look (slightly) better; and that's the most expensive game they've ever made

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
y2eHRn0.gif

Overall, really exciting times for Nintendo.

I'm not sure, is this image intended as exasperation with what I posted?

...if so, do you have any idea how many times customers have asked me why they'd want a DS with 3D functionality, or a Wii with a tablet?

Salvadora

I'm excited to see the innovation Nintendo will bring to the table.

I do hope it's backwards compatible with 3DS/Wii U games.

I haven't bought the latter so I'd have an extensive library day one.

The 3DS is capable of handling big games like 3D Zelda and Xenoblade, so I don't think this is a concern.

The 3DS can do N64 ports and a really ugly/worse version of a 2010 Wii game. Just how powerful do you expect this handheld to reasonably be? Are Nintendo just giving up on consoles, and providing the kind of big spectacular experiences gamers want from new consoles? Even if that makes financial sense for them, it not very exciting for me as a fan of their bigger games.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
but it mentioned using other peoples machines to supplement your own...that needs to be online, surely?

As an option, not a requirement. It's conceivable that your game will scale down with no supplemental computing devices powering it. Or maybe games on the TV WILL require you to be online for that extra juice, but only if you don't have your own supplemental device hardwired to it. So it's a cheap online-only option, or a more expensive don't-need-online option.

The part about gaining credits for sharing your 'supplemental device's power to other users sounds very interesting to me. Actually isn't this one of the most progressive concepts in the console space right now?

DrWong

lol. As if the NX thing wasn't already enough confusing for the average gamer ^^

Guys, nothing indicates this patent could not also be used for the Wii U...

Nothing in the patent describes the game console requiring to connect to the network for anything.

The only use case where there is a connection the remote machine initiates the request to your game console, and it's not a bilateral connection.

EVIL

you are making quite a bit of assumptions based on the classic weakness of a handheld. Imagine streaming your content from the base console to your supplement handheld device. either via local wifi or internet maybe.

okaygeraldo

Neo Member
I'm not sure, is this image intended as exasperation with what I posted?

...if so, do you have any idea how many times customers have asked me why they'd want a DS with 3D functionality, or a Wii with a tablet?

No, I read that and laughed really loud because it's 100% true and 200% hilarious. Kudos.

jwj442

The 3DS can do N64 ports and a really ugly/worse version of a 2010 Wii game.
It's also receiving a port of Hyrule Warriors. And it was designed separately from the Wii U's architecture. If they design a unified platform well (which is, yes, a big if) then scaling down won't be a problem. My 2009 laptop can still play some new PC games at low settings. And the new handheld will probably be much stronger than the 3DS.

Nibel

The part about gaining credits for sharing your 'supplemental device's power to other users sounds very interesting to me. Actually isn't this one of the most progressive concepts in the console space right now?

I wonder if they mean MyNintendo points with that - because those work for merchandise, their theme park, game sales and so on. Which indeed would be neat.

Anth0ny

Lakitu Cloud Services sounds a lot more exotic and unique than NCloud or Nintendo Cloud or some safe bullshit like that

The patent describes two types of supplemental devices that directly connect to the console.
One type that connects physically and one type that connects wirelessly.

It has little to do with a remote accessed cloud, and this thread is full of 'always online' outrage.
That's how closed minded this community is regarding cloud computing.

is this basically an N64 expansion slot?
Yes.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
well...

Power of the Cloud and hybrid rumors are back in full swing.

Thanks OP!! lol

Seriously....amazing find. I never totally dismissed the hybrid tumors. But reading Iwata mention different form factors sounded like different devices...some bigger some smaller, etc.

I'd thought about NX being a MyCloud type thing in the past. This sounds like it may be somewhat similar if it's the core of the Nintendo's new "platform."
The game console may include its own display and/or be configured to be easily connected to external displays like televisions and projectors. In other instances, game consoles may take the form of tablet computing devices, smart phones or mobile communication devices, laptops, netbooks and other portable computers or semi-portable computers, desktop computing devices, terminal computing devices and other semi-stationary or stationary computing devices, wearable computing devices, or other body-mounted computing devices, or other computing devices capable of sending communications and performing the functions according to the techniques described herein.

Remember how Iwata mentioned NX would not merely replace Wii U and 3DS, which had everyone talking "third pillar." What if it really is a third pillar and the first year or so the NX server interacts w/ Wii U and 3DS? The thing is the lack of a high speed physical connection would be very limiting.

Riki

I wonder if they mean MyNintendo points with that - because those work for merchandise, their theme park, game sales and so on. Which indeed would be neat.
This is probably exactly it.
Imagine earning points 24/7 by having your devices hooked to the Nintendo cloud.
It's absolutely brilliant marketing and an amazing way to get people to use your online.
And there will be a phone App that keeps you updated on who's using your systems and how many points you get. Instantly redeemable in the app to buy games and goods.

they are allowed to patent this?
are you kidding me?
jesus christ...
as a sw eng I feel ashamed.. they are NOT patenting a technology, they are patenting a behaviour..
this is not even funny...

Salvadora

Eh, even if they were limited by the 3DS' successor's power, it would still be pretty powerful.

2016 mobile technology is pretty advanced even if Nintendo went for lowish end specs.

llehuty

This sounds super ambitious. My guess is that they are working on scalable sets of hardware, with software that adapts depending of the specs available. Kind of PC gaming but with simplified sets of different options.

Apathy

Data caps in the west might be nightmares depending on what and how the resources being shared with others are.

okaygeraldo

Neo Member
Oh, okay. :p For all my talk of Nintendo marketing messages, sometimes I'm not so good at comprehending things myself. xD

I really did like your point though.

I think they need to come out of the gates with branding that speaks to something different. Don't even mention backwards compatibility when marketing this thing (even if it does have it). The "Wii" brand shouldn't be anywhere near this thing.

Also, spending marketing dollars too. I felt like the Wii U wasn't marketed much.

It's also receiving a port of Hyrule Warriors. And it was designed separately from the Wii U's architecture. If they design a unified platform well (which is, yes, a big if) then scaling down won't be a problem. My 2009 laptop can still play some new PC games at low settings, and not just indie games. The new handheld will probably be roughly as powerful as PS3/360/Wii U.

I'm really curious to see the overall reaction of the gaming community when Nintendo's next 2016/17 console is revealed to not actually be a console at all, but a handheld that isn't nearly as strong as the PS4/Xbone and can plug it to another thing you have to buy and play handheld style games in HD.

Nikodemos

Oh, and btw, in case you haven't noticed, this sounds like an unholy union between folding@home, bitcoin mining and free2play ideas.

kirby_fox

Banned
I can see it now.

- Portable device will launch. This will have certain games that play on it.
- Home console will launch with substantial more power
- Extra computing device will launch and allow portable device to play home console titles. In order to get more people to be able to play all games, they will allow people with portables to use other people's extra computer devices via the cloud to play home console titles (maybe at a price?).

Both systems will have games, all can be played via the home console or portable- but you need the extra add-on for the portable to play home console titles. The cost will likely be the same total (so if you buy handheld+computing it = cost of home console).

This will appeal to both West and East and allow them to scale games across the devices.

Top Bottom