• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo files trademark application for "Eternal Darkness" (new for December 2016)

Schnozberry

It wouldn't have to be a direct sequel, something like Resi 7 where it takes place in the same universe but far away from the events of the 1st game could work. They shouldn't call it ED2 though, that would just confused people who didn't play it on Gamecube.

At that point, why not just make a new IP?

Plum

At that point, why not just make a new IP?

Because brand recognition is still a useful thing for people who know the original and I can't see any reason why it would hurt the game, to most it would just seem like a new IP. That and Nintendo still owns the name, what else would they call a horror game that featured sanity mechanics?

Schnozberry

Because brand recognition is still a useful thing for people who know the original and I can't see any reason why it would hurt the game, to most it would just seem like a new IP. That and Nintendo still owns the name, what else would they call a horror game that featured sanity mechanics?

A remake of the original, or a VC release potentially if Gamecube VC is on the table. The IP could be rehabilitated in either case.

I question whether Eternal Darkness has any real brand recognition outside of the cult following attained by the original to justify attaching the name to another game. Certainly not like Resident Evil.

Plum

A remake of the original, or a VC release potentially if Gamecube VC is on the table.

I question whether Eternal Darkness has any real brand recognition outside of the cult following attained by the original.

Well yeah, they should do that as well. But Eternal Darkness is still a known quantity to many "core" gamers and Nintendo themselves can market is as one of their first truly "mature" games to those who don't know the series, there's no reason not to keep the name if they're gonna make a sequel.

Top Bottom