• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo files trademark application for "Eternal Darkness" (new for December 2016)

Semajer

What's the longest amount of time they can continue this process without an Eternal Darkness release to justify it?

Semajer

You can file 5 6-month extensions for an Intent-to-Use application, for a total of 2.5 years (A total of 3 years from the Notice of Allowance date).

I was under the impression from previous Eternal Darkness threads that they were running out of time rapidly. Is there still another three years left?

jett

D-Member
Oh boy, imagine Retro's secret project is actually Eternal Darkness 2

67b.jpg

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I was under the impression from previous Eternal Darkness threads that they were running out of time rapidly. Is there still another three years left?
This is a new filing. They have had two previous (excluding the original filed in 1999). One filed in 2010 (abandoned 2013), the other filed 2013 (abandoned 2017), both were abandoned due to lack of Statement of Use.

They have thirty-six months from May 9, 2017, to file either a Statement of Use or extension requests. Should they file to do so the application will be abandoned and they can file for a new application. How long they can keep this practice up I do not know, but I would assume at a certain point of time it could be regarded as abuse.

Rösti;236502516 said:
This is a new filing. They have had two previous (excluding the original filed in 1999). One filed in 2010 (abandoned 2013), the other filed 2013 (abandoned 2017), both were abandoned due to lack of Statement of Use.

They have thirty-six months from May 9, 2017, to file either a Statement of Use or extension requests. Should they file to do so the application will be abandoned and they can file for a new application. How long they can keep this practice up I do not know, but I would assume at a certain point of time it could be regarded as abuse.

The USPTO doesn't really care as long as you keep paying filing fees. If someone else starts using the mark during a period they have an abandoned application, that party would have priority over a future nintendo application.

This needs to happen. I don't know if they could patch it in or if they'll ever make another one, but in an older thread about the JoyCons I was thinking of all the possibilities of HD Rumble for horror games like Eternal Darkness, like the feeling of bugs crawling over your hands. Would be so awesome!
Want

kizmah

Damn you GAF. Evert time I see Eternal Darkness in a thread title my heart skips a bit. Come on Nintendo, release it on Switch VC at least. It would look good (enough) as a portable and would be a dream to play in bed.

Yeah, GC VC seems likely.

I just hope GC VC does not stop Nintendo from doing more GC remakes like Wind Waker HD. I want Sunshine HD. Please make this happen Nintendo.

Kikorin

I would be already happy for a VC release of Eternal Darkness, but an HD remaster would be great.

I don't want to dream too much, so I don't even talk about a sequel or reboot...

MTC100

Banned
So, is the Switch powerful enough to emulate GameCube games? I'm not sure if something like a GC VC would be really possible with the hardware but perhaps that's a good thing, because if Nintendo were to just port the games over to the Switch they could give them the 1080p treatment with ease.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I honestly hope it isn't. I hope they're working on something original. Though, it would be interesting if Dennis is working on the game.

An Eternal Darkness 2 in 2017 would feel pretty original to me. It's been a while.

Not that Retro should necessarily be doing it or whatever. I just know I want it.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
That which is not dead doth eternal lie. In strange aeons even death may die.

hopefully the most appropriate quote ever.

I hope. I hope. I hope.

Actually the most appropriate quote for Eternal Darkness fans should be

Long I stood there
Waiting
Doubting
Fearing

Semajer

Rösti;236502516 said:

Thanks for the clarification. Hopefully we'll get something Eternal Darkness related sooner or later.

So, is the Switch powerful enough to emulate GameCube games? I'm not sure if something like a GC VC would be really possible with the hardware but perhaps that's a good thing, because if Nintendo were to just port the games over to the Switch they could give them the 1080p treatment with ease.

Of course it is powerfull enough to emulate Gamecube.

Plum

Imagine the kind of sanity affects that could be had on Switch:
- Classic "your saves are lost" gag, especially bad because of lack of online back-ups
- Undocking occasionally displays a fatal error on screen
- Docking the Switch puts some scary-as-fuck image up on your big TV

...that's all I can think of.

EDarkness

An Eternal Darkness 2 in 2017 would feel pretty original to me. It's been a while.

Not that Retro should necessarily be doing it or whatever. I just know I want it.

That's cool. the game should exist, but I hope Retro isn't doing it. I want them to be working on something I would actually play. The last game of theirs I played was Metroid Prime 3. I wouldn't play Eternal Darkness if they made it.

Terrell

Seriously, someone needs to do something with this trademark.

It seems more likely that there would be some re-coding involved, which means they'll probably be priced at or near the same price as the Wii games released on Wii U.

Imagine the kind of sanity affects that could be had on Switch:
- Classic "your saves are lost" gag, especially bad because of lack of online back-ups
- Undocking occasionally displays a fatal error on screen
- Docking the Switch puts some scary-as-fuck image up on your big TV

...that's all I can think of.

You could do some cool HD rumble stuff. Like little pinpricks in the controller, or have the motors run at full blast like there's an error.

It could tell you to detach the joycons and then have an "Error: joycon latching mechanism destroyed"

If you're docked it could (maybe) display a small bug running around on the top of the tablet in the dock.

Long answer:
https://youtu.be/UGdHM8AIhvw

Short answer: Yes, the Switch is more than capable of emulating GameCube games.

Plum

You could do some cool HD rumble stuff. Like little pinpricks in the controller, or have the motors run at full blast like there's an error.

It could tell you to detach the joycons and then have an "Error: joycon latching mechanism destroyed"

If you're docked it could (maybe) display a small bug running around on the top of the tablet in the dock.

If it were possible they could have the colours that appear each side of the screen when you attach the Joy-Con be different to the one's being attached. Really subtle but enough for you to notice.

If it were possible they could have the colours that appear each side of the screen when you attach the Joy-Con be different to the one's being attached. Really subtle but enough for you to notice.

Heh that might be a bit TOO subtle. Especially since I primarily use grey.

You could have a really slow rumble sensation move from the right side of the controller to the left, with something appearing on the screen between the joycons representing whatever is causing that rumble.

They could change the joycon system "clicking" noise to something a bit more terrifying.

There is so much I bet they could think of which utilizes the Switch's unique form factor.

What if Retro is making Eternal Darkness 2?

What if indeed... I'd certainly be happy with that.

kizmah

What if Retro is making Eternal Darkness 2?

I have been saying this every time this trademark gets renewed but I'm not gonna get my hopes up again. It's simply to perfect to be true. Give the original the Tantalus HD-treatment and I would be thrilled. Give me a VC release and I would be thrilled. Just give me something.

OnPoint

I love that them continuing to renew trademarks and string along fans is basically causing sanity effects to those people in real life.

Also I hope for a new game in this series.

Plum

You know who Nintendo should get to make a new Eternal Darkness game? Frictional...

...goddammit now I've found a new thing I want that will never happen.

VDenter

Banned

I will die of happiness that potentially one of the best horror games ever is being made. I have been waiting for about 15 years. Its finally time Nintendo dont let me down.

Schnozberry

Seems....highly unlikely. People would need to be reintroduced to the series before a sequel made sense. It's been damn near 20 years, and the game didn't sell all that well to begin with. Neither did the console it appeared on.

Plum

No please not Frictional. I love gameplay.

;)

Mate, Amnesia is the closest to Eternal Darkness we've had since Eternal Darkness. Just have Miyamoto waltz in one day and demand combat elements and they'd be golden. They're perfect for the series, which is why Nintendo will hand any potential sequels over to the one that worked on New Yoshi's Island.

Seems....highly unlikely. People would need to be reintroduced to the series before a sequel made sense. It's been damn near 20 years, and the game didn't sell all that well to begin with. Neither did the console it appeared on.

It wouldn't have to be a direct sequel, something like Resi 7 where it takes place in the same universe but far away from the events of the 1st game could work. They shouldn't call it ED2 though, that would just confused people who didn't play it on Gamecube.

Top Bottom