• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo files trademark for "Hyrule" in Japan, USA and Europe

L~A

Maybe it reached their expectation?
I think they said 1 million worldwide would be very good.

Actually, that was Koei-Tecmo, not Nintendo. No idea what Nintendo's expecting for Hyrule Warriors.

By the way, I really doubt this trademark is for a game or any other project. It's just Nintendo protecting their IP, just like Middle-Earth for example.

khaaan

Hyrule Hunter
Hyrule Gear Solid
Tales of Hyrule
Hyrule Fantasy
World of Hyrule
Hyrule Asylum

It'll be great.

AdanVC

They bought an island near the Bermuda Triangle from that misterious no-videogame-related investment Nintendo did early this year to create Hyrule in real life. Opens to the public next year #BELIEVE

Phazon

Actually, that was Koei-Tecmo, not Nintendo. No idea what Nintendo's expecting for Hyrule Warriors.

By the way, I really doubt this trademark is for a game or any other project. It's just Nintendo protecting their IP, just like Middle-Earth for example.

Probably.

Seems a bit too weird that Nintendo would make a 'Hyrule' spin-off or anything like that. (Not that I don't want it)

BowieZ

Banned
I doubt "Hyrule" would be a subtitle that they would use for a mainline Zelda, at least not the word by itself. But I definitely think they'd want to keep the option open for later use of that name, and probably thought "oh shit we should probably trademark this at some point".

Zubz

Banned
Well if Hyrule Warriors sold well, making more Zelda Crossover spin-offs DOES make a bit of sense.

Hyrule Shadow
Play as Impa, developed by Valhalla (Itagaki)

Hyrule Princess
Play as Zelda, developed by Platinum

both.png

Oregano

I am expecting a Hyrule Warriors game for the 3DS. PSP and Vita have received ports of mainline Musou game and it would do really well on 3DS.

From a quality standpoint going N3DS migt make sense.

Majmun

Naming the next LoZ game Hyrule would be pretty awesome.

Hyrule
Realms of Hyrule
The Hyrule Spirit

etc etc

More spinoffs please. Hyrule warriors sequel. Hyrule RTS with gamepad and pointer controls. Shoot, I'd even give a zelda-skinned mmo a shot, though the internet would die of rage if the first nintendo mmo wasn't pokemon.

I can't think of any non-game-spinoff branding opportunity that is realistically possible that I'd actually get hyped about.

The Legend of Zelda : Hyrule like The elders scrolls: Skyrim

Exactly what I was going to say. Aonuma has talked a lot about taking influence from Skyrim, and I would not be surprised if they named the next Zelda game quite similarly with its subtitle being front and centre as the TES games do it.

After playing Hyrule Warriors I realized how a semi-MMO (PSO2, MH) could really work. Those kinds of games do really well in Japan.

The Zelda franchise has enough races, locations, weapons styles, and music to make it work.

I always thought a cool theme would be the 7 years that Link was asleep. The fact that some places managed to survive even through Ganondorf's reign (Gorons, Kakariko Village) and some fell (Zora's Domain) would make an interesting story. A lot of shit must've went down.

Moff

It's an open world game heavily inspired by GTAV, playable characters, wich can be switched at any time are Link (the brave warrior, can ride), Ganondorf (the psychotic villain, can turn into ganon) and Zelda (ruling princess by day, assassin sheik by night)

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Small update, just some basic USPTO actions. Today, on February 10, the USPTO issued an office action against this application because of indefinite identification of goods plus no copy of a foreign registration was provided (for 44(e) filing basis). Nintendo's response could potentially provide us with more details on this.

The Identification of Goods is Indefinite

The identification of goods is indefinite and must be clarified because it is unclear from the current wording exactly what goods are used in conjunction with the mark. See TMEP §1402.01. For example, the actual function of the “programs for consumer video game machines,” “optical discs, CD-ROMs recorded with programs for consumer video game machines,” “programs for hand-held games with liquid crystal displays” and “downloadable or installable programs and additional data for consumer video game machines” must be clarified. Applicant may adopt the following identification, if accurate (suggested wording appears italicized print):

Computer video game programs for consumer video game machines; optical discs and CD-ROMs recorded with video game programs for consumer video game machines; video game programs for hand-held games with liquid crystal displays; downloadable video games and video game programs and programs recorded on computer media for consumer video game machines; downloadable software featuring additional data in the form of _________________ (specify nature of ‘additional data,’ e.g., character information and storylines) for consumer video game machines; recorded compact discs featuring _______________ (specify nature of content, e.g., animated motion pictures based on a computer game); downloadable image files and image files recorded on computer media featuring pictures of characters and scenes from a computer game in Class 9. TMEP Section 1402.01.

An applicant may only amend an identification to clarify or limit the goods, but not to add to or broaden the scope of the goods. 37 C.F.R. §2.71(a); see TMEP §§1402.06 et seq., 1402.07.

For assistance with identifying and classifying goods and services in trademark applications, please see the USPTO’s online searchable U.S. Acceptable Identification of Goods and Services Manual at http://tess2.uspto.gov/netahtml/tidm.html. See TMEP §1402.04.

Original goods and services this application was filed under are, as can be seen in the OP:

IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Programs for consumer video game machines; optical discs, CD-ROMs recorded with programs for consumer video game machines; programs for hand-held games with liquid crystal displays; downloadable or installable programs and additional data for consumer video game machines; recorded compact discs; downloadable and storable image files
USPTO wants more apparently, though with emphasis on the nature of content.

And then the issue with the filing basis

Perfecting 44(e) Basis

The application specifies Trademark Act Section 44(d) as the sole filing basis and indicates that applicant intends to rely on Section 44(e) as a basis for registration; however no copy of a foreign registration was provided. See 15 U.S.C. §1126(d), (e).

An application with a Section 44(e) basis must include a true copy, photocopy, certification, or certified copy of a foreign registration from an applicant’s country of origin. 15 U.S.C. §1126(e); 37 C.F.R. §2.34(a)(3)(ii); TMEP §§1004, 1004.01, 1016. In addition, the applicant’s country of origin must be a party to a convention or treaty relating to trademarks to which the United States is also a party, or must extend reciprocal registration rights to nationals of the United States by law. 15 U.S.C. §1126(b); TMEP §§1002.01, 1004.

Therefore, applicant must provide a copy of the foreign registration from applicant’s country of origin when it becomes available. TMEP §1003.04(a). A copy of a foreign registration must consist of a document issued to an applicant by, or certified by, the intellectual property office in applicant’s country of origin. TMEP §1004.01. If applicant’s country of origin does not issue registrations or Madrid Protocol certificates of extension of protection, the applicant may submit a copy of the Madrid Protocol international registration that shows that protection of the international registration has been extended to applicant’s country of origin. TMEP §1016. In addition, applicant must also provide an English translation if the foreign registration is not written in English. 37 C.F.R. §2.34(a)(3)(ii); TMEP §1004.01(a)-(b). The translation should be signed by the translator. TMEP §1004.01(b).

If the foreign registration is not yet available, applicant should inform the trademark examining attorney that the foreign application is still pending and request that the U.S. application be suspended until a copy of the foreign registration is available. TMEP §§716.02(b), 1003.04(a).

If applicant cannot satisfy the requirements of the Section 44(e) basis, applicant may amend the basis to Section 1(a) or 1(b), if applicant can satisfy the requirements for the new basis. See 15 U.S.C. §§1051(a)-(b), 1126(e); TMEP §806.03. Please note that, if the U.S. application satisfied the requirements of Section 44(d) as of the U.S. application filing date, applicant may retain the priority filing date under Section 44(d) without perfecting the Section 44(e) basis, provided there is a continuing valid basis for registration. See 37 C.F.R. §2.35(b)(3)-(4); TMEP §§806.02(f), 806.03(h).
Source: http://tsdr.uspto.gov/documentviewer?caseId=sn86429498&docId=OOA20150210104050#docIndex=0&page=1

The European application has not encountered any problems. February 25 marks the End of opposition period, and so far no opposition has been submitted. It will likely be registered soon after.

Top Bottom