• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Fiscal Call - Live Tweeting [Over, OP Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oersted

Damnit, new page. Wii U doomed. Now move along.

But how true is that to see innovative software without a unique take on hardware? How many games on PS3 or 360 were genuinely innovative? Call of Duty 4's take on multiplayer and perks, and the online/offline overlap of Demon's Souls are the only two I can recall. You've had ideas that have failed on both of those systems like Move, Kinect (on a core level), and Sixaxis. The majority of games are just bigger (not always), prettier games than what we got in the previous year or generation. I find it hard to get hyped for Sony and Microsoft's new platforms because all of the stuff coming out for their current platforms for the last few years has been the same stuff over and over. I fear we're just going to get prettier and bigger (not always) stuff than what we currently get from them, and that's not really what I long for. Sure, I can handle traditional experiences, but I grow bored of it just being coming from a stronger box as the hook for a new platform. Nintendo seems to be the only one going down a different route, even if people feel they use their IPs too much to showcase these new ideas, or that their specs are "shitty". Mainstream consumers don't give a fuck about specs. One of the reasons I regret owning a Vita is because Sony just thinks I want graphically intensive console games on a portable when in fact I want a game to take advantage of all of the features the thing has that something like the 3DS doesn't have. Instead those mechanics and ideas are largely used as disposable gimmicks, adding nothing weighty to the experience, making the experiences more of the same.

I probably should starting to like you...

Wow. That was quick. The full English translation of the briefing is already up on Nintendo's site.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/130131/index.html

"We announced a collaboration title of the "Shin Megami-Tensei (Japanese Title)" series and "Fire Emblem" series which ATLUS and we are cooperatively developing. As the developing cost of games for home consoles has been high, it has been very difficult for third-party developers to take a risk by developing games only for one home video game console. We therefore have had various discussions with software developers for the projects."

I like the sound of this. This generation for Nintendo might very well lead to a new aura in gaming man. Could this generation be the generation of Collaboration's?

kirby_fox

Banned
Despite the fact that Nintendo has a long, ong history of experimenting with new hardware ideas, new kinds of platforms (programmable portable handhelds), and new game interface devices, it is only after the wiimote that Nintendo is "just about gimmicks". One has to wonder though - is gimmick now codespeak for "I don't like this and want it the other way"?

I've seen this a lot not just in gaming though. Any company who tries something new is doing it just as a gimmick to get you to buy it unless it's super awesome cool to you.

If Nintendo had gone the HD route with a powerful system, they may not be around right now though. Both the HD systems sold at a pretty hefty loss due to the tech- meaning Nintendo likely would have done the same.

To put simple though: Nintendo can't win. They have more or less gone back to a traditional controller (the Pad is way more traditional than the Wii remote) as people wanted them to, but due to adding a touch screen they are still complaining. Had we got a system with a Pro and a Wii remote with higher tech they still wouldn't have bought the system at launch and caused Nintendo the same problems we see now.

With the Pad they can differentiate themselves with tech they have figured out, giving themselves a market their competition won't go for unless it sees success (thus Kinect and Move).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom