• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo found guilty for infringing glasses-free 3D patent

http://www.google.com/patents/US7417664?printsec=drawing#v=onepage&q&f=false

^ The patent in question. Cursory reading makes this sound like a bad jury decision, rather than Nintendo infringing, but I guess that's why I'm not a lawyer.

It still seems kinda bullshit that they're infringing on a patent that relies on a means of automatically detecting the viewer's position to set the screen for the stereoscopic image, though. Hell, Nintendo probably wouldn't have been found to infringe at all if they'd left the camera off.

Pretty clear there is no patent infringement if this is really whats patented.

MisterHero

But they had Luigi's Mansion working in 3D before the Gamecube launched. One would think that Nintendo had the proper documentation for a long time. .__.

Neiteio

I love love LOVE the 3D on the 3DS -- it's one of my favorite features, and other portables, past and present, feel super-flat without it. If the guy really invented it, or if his ideas shaped the 3D on the 3DS, then he deserves the money.

I love love LOVE the 3D on the 3DS -- it's one of my favorite features, and other portables, past and present, feel super-flat without it. If the guy really invented it, or if his ideas shaped the 3D on the 3DS, then he deserves the money.

look at his patent, its nothing like how the 3ds works

kirby_fox

Banned
Jury case? Of course he won- it's big company vs. little guy. I'd honestly put money on it that they argued with emotion to win the jury over.

When they appeal and (if they) don't get a jury- it's likely Nintendo will win. Their argument was pretty weak against a jury, but against a judge alone they have a better chance. It's hard to prove Nintendo actually took the ideas when they were shopping around for the tech and got it from someone else.

Well- so the story goes they got it from Sharp. That could be some PR spin.

The guy likely won't have a case against other companies using the tech though. He only had a case because he met with Nintendo and showed it to them. Makes them look pretty guilty.

Wynnebeck

Banned
If you read the thread instead of rushing to call people out for being salty, you'd realize that this question has been already been raised.

Maybe I did read the thread and was posing the question in sarcasm to the person who responded to me. You know what happens when you assume right?

ohlawd

Maybe I did read the thread and was posing the question in sarcasm to the person who responded to me. You know what happens when you assume right?

bro no way lol

I got myself a college education in sarcasm. What you said earlier was nowhere close to sarcasm.

Can someone actually explain to me why he didn't go after HTC for the evo 3d or against sharp for their screen technology? I've nothing against seeing a guy rewarded for good ideas or invention, it just seems selective to go after the 3DS when the exact same tech is used elsewhere. I find the reward odd too. If it infringes why aren't they made to license and give the guy back pay and future payments?

krizzx

Are people actually upset this guy got his just rewards or just salty at the revelation that the idea for glassless 3D wasn't Nintendo's?

Neither.

Have you actually analyzed the details of this case?

It seems that most people in this thread didn't even care about the details or facts of the actual case in question. Their only interest in this topic was that something bad happened to Nintendo, which they apparently are happy about.

Except Nintendo did not invent or create the 3D screen used in the 3DS. SHARP did. So why isn't he going after sharp who is manufacturing this 3D screen for numerous devices.

The patent must certainly involves/describe specific application or implentation of the technology.

If that is/were the case, that would be the reason Nintendo is/was seen as the infringing party.

In other words, the 3D display isn't the basis/meritous/contentious point - it's the method of utilization with the 3D display, by Nintendo, and specifically by their system (3DS) that is at fault.

So, Sharp isn't in the wrong. The 3D display is only part of the equation. It's how Nintendo used the display, in conjunction to the system the is in violation.

Anteo

It's weird because the patent indicates "Prior Art" and at one point in that section explains how a glassless 3d screen would work. What I get from this is that the patent is for a device that captures a 3d image with 2 cameras, send the image to a reciever, that reciever will output the glassless 3d image and somehow adjust the distance of the 2 images acording to the position of the viewer. Nothing like the 3ds, it even admits that 3d screens like the one on the 3ds exists in the prior art section.

Mileena

Banned
Can someone actually explain to me why he didn't go after HTC for the evo 3d or against sharp for their screen technology? I've nothing against seeing a guy rewarded for good ideas or invention, it just seems selective to go after the 3DS when the exact same tech is used elsewhere. I find the reward odd too. If it infringes why aren't they made to license and give the guy back pay and future payments?

Maybe he's a Vita fan

The Sony blood still boils in this inventor =P

But in all seriousness I think it's more to do that Nintendo 3DS is one of the best known 3D product in comparison to the phones you said and he had an easier winnable case due to Nintendo did actually have a meeting with him.

If I'm understanding it correctly, it is using a camera to detect where the person's eyes are and displays the 3D accordingly?

Yea, just searched this up. It was too expensive back then.

yeah sounds like his patent is pretty cool but definitely nothing like the 3ds

would've been a cool little add on, shame it never saw the light of day

nothing, considering nintendo will pretty certainly win on appeal and he'll be left with a big legal bill

Clearly you've never heard of contingency fees.

This right here is a good example of why people who aren't lawyers shouldn't talk about the law as if they have any idea what they are talking about.

There's a reason it takes 3 years extra of schooling and the passing of a huge exam to become a lawyer.

It's weird because the patent indicates "Prior Art" and at one point in that section explains how a glassless 3d screen would work. What I get from this is that the patent is for a device that captures a 3d image with 2 cameras, send the image to a reciever, that reciever will output the glassless 3d image and somehow adjust the distance of the 2 images acording to the position of the viewer. Nothing like the 3ds, it even admits that 3d screens like the one on the 3ds exists in the prior art section.

Doesn't the 3DS take 3D pictures/video? Wouldn't that be the patent infringement?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
When they say they are setting it aside does that mean they are just cutting their loses? All they have to do is pay some damages at the moment. While some have said that they could win if they appealed is their a risk for a worse judgement that could effect the 3DS itself if they lost again?

Also I like how some people have completely missed the idea behind the Sony copies Nintendo joke. If you're going to reverse it at least make sure it actually works first.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
this is one guy, he's not some weird shell corporation. i wouldnt necessarily think he's a patent troll... he DID win...

Wynnebeck

Banned

Didn't someone display a prototype for a game on the 3DS that gave you different views of a panorama scene depending on the angle you were looking at the camera or am I confused?

Eusis

Probably would've been too bulky for portable displays at this point.

But yeah, if that's all the patent REALLY covers this is going to be eviscerated by anyone who actually understands this stuff well enough to properly judge.

FyreWulff

He deserved it.

Great for him, it is not that often thing to happen.

Looking at the patent.. it's not even the same tech.

His tech is a complete matrix with the pixels essentially tilted towards each eye. It appears to be close to a lenticular image.

The Sharp screen Nintendo licensed uses parallax barriers.

ohlawd

Clearly you've never heard of contingency fees.

This right here is a good example of why people who aren't lawyers shouldn't talk about the law as if they have any idea what they are talking about.

There's a reason it takes 3 years extra of schooling and the passing of a huge exam to become a lawyer.

But Phoenix makes it look so easy :(

majik13

Nintendo having to pay a Sony employee for using an idea patented by them?

that's just fucking RICH

maybe you should reread the details...

like, FORMER sony employee. And it was patented under his own companies name. Tomita Technologies

Sony has nothing to do with this at all.

Anteo

Doesn't the 3DS take 3D pictures/video? Wouldn't that be the patent infringement?

Yeah I was thinking that too, but you would need to ignore the "adjust the image acording to the position of the viewer automatically". I don't know if he can just say "yeah ignore that part and is totally the same". In that case it has nothing to do with the games, and probably nothing to do with the screen technology itself. In any case don't know how the patent system works, I just read what the patent says.

Hale-XF11

This now has me wondering what someone has to do to get a patent like this one. Like, do you have to prove that your invention actually works or do you just need to come up with a concept to qualify for one?

Didn't someone display a prototype for a game on the 3DS that gave you different views of a panorama scene depending on the angle you were looking at the camera or am I confused?

you are thinking of that dsi game that did some pseudo 3d thing, it became a running joke in early 3ds threads before the system was revealed

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Are you thinking of Rittai Kakushi, the game that often used to troll people into thinking it was a video of the 3DS before it was first shown?

P90

maybe you should reread the details...

like, FORMER sony employee. And it was patented under his own companies name. Tomita Technologies

Sony has nothing to do with this at all.

Exactly.

I am not sure whether the court decision is correct or not. Even if correct, $30 million is a drop in a bucket for Nintendo.

MisterHero

This now has me wondering what someone has to do to get a patent like this one. Like, do you have to prove that your invention actually works or do you just need to come up with a concept to qualify for one?
A prototype is recommended but the creator needs to document everything they did to come up with the idea and how it works.

Hopefully Nintendo has such paperwork that describes the differences between technologies.

Top Bottom