• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo France confirms The Last Story isn't canned in Europe

Ricker said:
There was one last year,although not fantastic it was pretty decent,Arc Rise Fantasia....how much did that sell on the Wii in North America...about 50k? i`m probably generous here,so if they look at those numbers,yeah...make your own conclusion.
Wasn't that published by Ignition?

Big One said:
I'm sure that applies to a lot of games, but to The Last Story? There's a lot of appeal one could go with that one. A simple tagline, "From the creator of Final Fantasy." could do wonders to it like it did with Lost Odyssey in the West.

Unless it sells a million or something (which won't happen), I doubt sales in Japan will influence a Western release.

Shiggy said:
What was the last Nintendo game of this calibre that saw no localisation? Soma Bringer comes up when talking about Xenoblade, but there's nothing comparable for Last Story.

There really aren't that many games that were not localised tbh. Many of those were niche (e.g. Theta) or Japanocentric games.

If you remove Japanocentric/edutainment games, there's still like 15 unlocalized DS games. Wii is not so bad, but there's still some worthwhile games left in Japan. Fact is successful Nintendo isn't as pressured to localize games.

Big One

Banned
Allan Holdsworth said:
Unless it sells a million or something (which won't happen), I doubt sales in Japan will influence a Western release.
But sales is exactly the reason why Nintendo published Dragon Quest IX outside of Japan. :p

Though I'm not saying it'll be a big hit like DQ, but if it does really well, with it's near perfect score in Famitsu, that would give incentive to bring it over to the West. Lost Odyssey did a LOT better in the West than in did in Japan.

[Nintex]

Nintendo of Europe is doing some strange twists and turns lately. Shiggy has proven to be a reliable source in the past but their absolute lack of interest in anything Wii/DS at the event was pretty telling. There's not even a full Wii release list for the first quarter.

Shiggy

Allan Holdsworth said:
If you remove Japanocentric/edutainment games, there's still like 15 unlocalized DS games. Wii is not so bad, but there's still some worthwhile games left in Japan. Fact is successful Nintendo isn't as pressured to localize games.

Fossil Fighters 2
Tingle 2
Chibi-Robo 3
Stafy
Soma Bringer
Ash

Extreme niche and flops in Japan:
Mag Kid: Slide Adventure
Theta
Jet Impulse

That's not too bad since they've put out other titles instead.

Japanese sales have very little impact with Last Story though.

With the muscle Nintendo seems to be putting behind this game in Japan, I would be genuinely surprised if it never gets localized. They seem to be interested in pushing the game as an important new IP, so if they're successful with it in Japan I can't think of any reasons why Nintendo would be hesitant to localize it. Also releasing the Last Story worldwide would help to prepare the market for Dragon Quest X, which Nintendo would be wise to take advantage of.

Diffense

Neon_Icarus said:
I'm pretty sure it'll get released, eventually.

Nintendo needs to release every game they can if they want to retain some goodwill from the core gamers for the launch of Wii 2.

So true.
If I don't get these games (XB, TLS), I'll really have to start reevaluating my loyalty to Nintendo consoles.
It's one thing when the games aren't being made but when they're developed, but consoles are region locked, and we don't get them, it's a bit much.

RPGCrazied said:
Why just Europe tho? Is it a fact they like/buy more jRPG's than Americans? *confused*

You'd be surprised. Europe got Terranigma, and we didn't. Hell, the entire planet got Terranigma except America.

Diffense said:
So true.
If I don't get these games (XB, TLS), I'll really have to start reevaluating my loyalty to Nintendo consoles.
It's one thing when the games aren't being made but when they're developed, but consoles are region locked, and we don't get them, it's a bit much.

The problem isn't that they are region-locked (homebrewing a Wii to play any region games is trivial) is that they are only in Japanese.

Shiggy said:
Fossil Fighters 2
Tingle 2
Chibi-Robo 3
Stafy
Soma Bringer
Ash

Extreme niche and flops in Japan:
Mag Kid: Slide Adventure
Theta
Jet Impulse

That's not too bad since they've put out other titles instead.

Japanese sales have very little impact with Last Story though.

Densetsu no Stafi 4
Touch Panic
Project Hacker: Kakusei
Chou Soujuu Mecha MG
Jet Impulse
Ouendan 2 (though I dunno if it would make sense to make an EBA2 since I don't know much about the series)
Kurikin: Nano Island Story
Suujin Taisen (well I think it's out for DSiWare?)
Slide Adventure: Mag Kid
Theta
Archaic Sealed Heat
Card Hero
Soma Bringer
Okaeri! Chibi-Robo! Happy Richie Oosouji
Color Changing Tingle's Balloon Trip of Love
Fossil Fighters 2
Tingle's Balloon Fight

And this is removing anime, edutainment, Japanocentric and redundant (ie Daigassou! Band Brothers 1) games. List would be 3x otherwise.

Reknoc

Cow Mengde said:
You'd be surprised. Europe got Terranigma, and we didn't. Hell, the entire planet got Terranigma except America.

Which totally makes up for every other JRPG that didn't come out over here.

100% serious, <3 Terranigma.

d+pad

Wait, so Shiggy has said Xenoblade will be released in Europe? Is that still supposed to be true? (Please, please, please...)

apana

Here is how I rank my anticipation for the three big Wii RPG coming out:

Xenoblade>>Dragon Quest X>>Last Story.

Pennywise

wsippel said:
He could only "confirm" a European release. Guess he heard something about NoE localizing, and we all know a European release does not guarantee an US release and vice versa.
Could you or somebody else please link to the post where he "confirmed" the European translation?

Vamphuntr

LiK said:
Last Story in French!
:(

Parfait! Au moins je comprends le français. Je ne peux pas en dire autant du Japonais.

I really hope NOA localize this one. I'm disappointed we still don't have any solid information regarding the localization of Xenoblade. Not only that but it also seems we won't get Inazuma Eleven while EU territories are getting the game at the end of the month. It's like Last Window all over again. Come on NOA.

Tron 2.0

Does NoE or NoA really have any say? I figured they just followed orders from Japan. So if Japan wants it localized, it gets localized.

Kafel

Banned
I've seen the "no plans" line posted here on GAF and then that thread about how the game wouldn't be released in the West.

VG "journalism" should be nuked.

Celine

Bebpo said:
Last story is in no way bigger than xenoblade. Sales in a few days will likely show that.
Do you believe LS will do less than 160K ?

Chris1964 said:
Sales will likely show the opposite.
My belief too.

Reknoc said:
Which totally makes up for every other JRPG that didn't come out over here.

100% serious, <3 Terranigma.
High five.

DaBuddaDa

Bebpo said:
Last story is in no way bigger than xenoblade. Sales in a few days will likely show that.
I disagree. The Last Story, even in the west where there is no confirmed localization, has been all over the place. Iwata has done panels with the dev team, roundtables, etc. Xenoblade, in contrast, slipped out with nary a peep. I also think Sakaguchi as a Name has much more of a draw than Takahashi.

They should also get to work on bringing over Reginleiv... Though I mostly want it for the pretty box (yes I'm shallow). Only non-white Wii box besides NSMBW, iirc.

8UkaJ.jpg

Emonga said:
They should also get to work on bringing over Reginleiv... Though I mostly want it for the pretty box (yes I'm shallow). Only non-white Wii box besides NSMBW, iirc.

8UkaJ.jpg
The black box has been used on quite a few mature rated games in Japan I believe

Netto-kun

Emonga said:
Neither of those boxes are non-white. With the NSMBW and Reginleiv, the actual boxes are different, not just the inlays.
You are right about DKCR, but Mad World is indeed a black box. Same thing with the Japanese version of Red Steel 2.

And regarding Zangeki no Reginleiv, it's a pretty average game.

gerg

Emonga said:
Neither of those boxes are non-white. With the NSMBW and Reginleiv, the actual boxes are different, not just the inlays.

All Japanese titles which are rated CERO D and up receive a black box in Japan. I wouldn't expect this trend to continue abroad, irrespective of whether Reginleiv gets localised.

Top Bottom