• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo "human resources" must approve your Miiverse posts (30 mins delay)

Coxy

Again, you see this as censorship, but I see it more like regulation. To me (not to turn this into PoliGAF but it's the only analogy I can think of that might make sense as far as conveying my argument), it's like the whole Free Market Will Fix Itself vs. Regulation Is Needed to Keep Market Stable argument. I'm personally on the Regulation side of the argument because from what I've seen the Free Market will just exploit for everything it's worth and will run rampant and cause general chaos unless someone is holding the reigns and keeping them from going crazy. I simply do not trust the people who run the Free Market to restrain themselves and act with the level-headed maturity needed to not ruin it for everyone.

My experience with Live and PSN has taught me that like the Free Market, Gamers cannot be trusted to not ruin it for everyone. Their Free Comments in this case need to be regulated to keep the system from turning into chaos and ruining it for everyone else. So no, I do not view this as censorship at all; it's regulation to keep it the system from collapsing.

and my expeiences with live and psn have taught me you cant trust these companies to moderate it properly, I still have a million teenagers screaming dicksdicksdicks at me but I also have friends being banned for saying they're gay in their profile

DGRE

Banned
This is a job one could telecommute to. I would totally moderate comments in my sparetime for some cash.

royalan

As long as you have a good regulator. I think that's where some issue, who decides what is appropriate and what isn't? Regardless, I do agree with you. Things are getting out of hand and some people just don't see to care. I don't care what they do in their own private lives but why should I have to be subjected to some jack-ass who's bored and needs to draw penises all day long for everyone to see? Or someone who feels it's ok to tell everyone a spoiler in a game. The Miiverse should not be a place of hostility or a hang-out place to say whatever you like and if people don't like it too bad. Look at the learning curves in Playstation Home (this is for anyone who actually uses it). Without rules it does indeed become chaos all due to a few bad apples.

But then the questions I have are exactly what is Miiverse for? How does it make the Wii U a better console experience?

Granted, I don't want dicks and spoilers greeting me whenever I turn the Wii U on (assuming I buy one). But then knowing it's being regulated, and by Nintendo no less, pretty much guarantees that the Miiverse will be reduced to nothing but my screen being cluttered with pointless bubbles filled with "Cooooool!" "Wow! Did you guys see that part!?" "Daaaaang!" and ":)".

Couple that with the fact that, thanks to the 30 minute delay, real time interaction with other players will be impossible through the service (or, at best, just annoying), and what you have is a service that's pretty much useless. It's censored so you can't post your thoughts freely, and it's delayed you can't even expect real-time interaction with other players.

Basically, after this bit of news, I just don't think the "Miiverse" will ultimately be worth the bad press Nintendo will receive from it ("Oh look! Same old behind-the-times Nintendo...").

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
and my expeiences with live and psn have taught me you cant trust these companies to moderate it properly, I still have a million teenagers screaming dicksdicksdicks at me but I also have friends being banned for saying they're gay in their profile

And I don't agree with that either. As was said, it does require a good regulator. But I would also add that regulating real-time voice chat would be nigh impossible (I would think anyway, feel free to correct) versus text. But yeah, I agree that banning someone for their sexual preference is wrong.

But then the questions I have are exactly what is Miiverse for? How does it make the Wii U a better console experience?

Granted, I don't want dicks and spoilers greeting me whenever I turn the Wii U on (assuming I buy one). But then knowing it's being regulated, and by Nintendo no less, pretty much guarantees that the Miiverse will be reduced to nothing but my screen being cluttered with pointless bubbles filled with "Cooooool!" "Wow! Did you guys see that part!?" "Daaaaang!" and ":)".

Valid concern

Couple that with the fact that, thanks to the 30 minute delay, real time interaction with other players will be impossible through the service (or, at best, just annoying), and what you have is a service that's pretty much useless. It's censored so you can't post your thoughts freely, and it's delayed you can't even expect real-time interaction with other players.

Errrm, nope! Adding to message boards and IMs will be instant, meaning interaction with other players will be fine. I'll bet you a videogame of your choice.

royalan

Valid concern

Errrm, nope! Adding to message boards and IMs will be instant, meaning interaction with other players will be fine. I'll bet you a videogame of your choice.

I was referring to the home screen. For example, my thinking when they first unveiled the home screen was a scenerio like this:

1) Boot up Wii U
2) See bunch of people congregating around "Game X" icon
3) Type "Hey All! Anybody down for some 3v3?"
4) Get responses
5) Invite to game
6) ????????
7) Profit

With the delay something like that would be impossible.

I was referring to the home screen. For example, my thinking when they first unveiled the home screen was a scenerio like this:

1) Boot up Wii U
4) Get responses
5) Invite to game
6) ????????
7) Profit

Ahh I see.. I don't think It can work like that then, no...

The screens do suggest that there is a notifications panel and messaging inbox, so you will still get requests, invites or messages from people on your friends list playing games, but my guess is that for what you're talking about you'd either have to use in game communication tools, start a 3v3 worldwide game yourself or post on the game's message board / view it to find people who want a game.

1) Boot up Wii U
4) Get responses
5) Invite to game
6) ????????
7) Profit

What's to stop the service from allowing you instant connection with those people but outside (in a separate room or something) so as to not disrupt everyone else? The problem I have with Playstation Home is it feels separate from the system, if Nintendo can somehow keep it universal but allow various forms of freedom that links you to different areas I could see that working.

There needs to be some sort of barrier put in place so that people don't need to be subjected to stuff they don't need to. So instead of just blurting out "Hey all, who's up for co-op in game X" you could just go to an area that is about game X and send private messages or something of that nature? I don't go to the shopping mall and shout out "Hey, where's the Gap, assholes?". But I do know what you mean about having instant interaction and I would think they will, just not out in the open as for reasons already discussed.

Dambrosi

Banned
As long as you have a good regulator. I think that's where some issue, who decides what is appropriate and what isn't? Regardless, I do agree with you. Things are getting out of hand and some people just don't see to care. I don't care what they do in their own private lives but why should I have to be subjected to some jack-ass who's bored and needs to draw penises all day long for everyone to see? Or someone who feels it's ok to tell everyone a spoiler in a game. The Miiverse should not be a place of hostility or a hang-out place to say whatever you like and if people don't like it too bad. Look at the learning curves in Playstation Home (this is for anyone who actually uses it). Without rules it does indeed become chaos all due to a few bad apples.
Wisdom, this is.

What's to stop the service from allowing you instant connection with those people but outside (in a separate room or something) so as to not disrupt everyone else? The problem I have with Playstation Home is it feels separate from the system, if Nintendo can somehow keep it universal but allow various forms of freedom that links you to different areas I could see that working.

There needs to be some sort of barrier put in place so that people don't need to be subjected to stuff they don't need to. So instead of just blurting out "Hey all, who's up for co-op in game X" you could just go to an area that is about game X and send private messages or something of that nature? I don't go to the shopping mall and shout out "Hey, where's the Gap, assholes?". But I do know what you mean about having instant interaction and I would think they will, just not out in the open as for reasons already discussed.
The bolded is the plan, as far as I am aware.

cloudyy

The idea of getting hand-picked messages by Nintendo from all wii-u players around the world that appear when I boot the console doesn't seem so bad. I mean, there is really no point of having feeds of 100 posts per minute flooding the home screen regardless of it being penises/spoilers or not.

They can easily allow that your posts appear instantaneously to your friends but get filtered and only appear after 30 minutes to the world.

1) Boot up Wii U
4) Get responses
5) Invite to game
6) ????????
7) Profit

Couldn't there just be .... preset approved messages for something like that?

"Hey All! Anybody down for some 3v3?" could easily be an approved message if they give you the option to by-pass the wait by marking a submitted phase to be saved for future use after it's been looked over. That way you don't have to wait and HR doesn't have to look over as many post if the post is already approved.

Glass Joe

Again, censorship is not the way. The way is just to have a parental guide system to block out people under a certain age from seeing messages posted by people other than friends.

Don't police your consumers. It's offensive.

You're not thinking this through. Screen names and young kids with no moderation is a recipe for disaster. As an adult, I don't want to read about a game on MiiVerse - which is basically gonna be the game's official message board -- and see it littered with a bunch of hate speech.

Ever notice how hate speech isn't a problem with an unmoderated place like facebook, where people are under their real names and therefore are actually responsible for how they conduct themselves? That's probably not an option for Nintendo either, with all the minors and cyber-bullying possibilities. Nintendo was so freaked about social interaction in the past that they demanded FRIEND CODES. Them trying to prevent the obvious is not out of line or "offensive" to me.

cloudyy

Couldn't there just be .... preset approved messages for something like that?

"Hey All! Anybody down for some 3v3?" could easily be an approved message if they give you the option to by-pass the wait by marking a submitted phase to be saved for future use after it's been looked over. That way you don't have to wait and HR doesn't have to look over as many post if the post is already approved.
I don't know if shouting "Anybody down for some 3v3" to the world is the purpose of the Miiverse. Either way, like I said on the post above, Nintendo can easily allow your message to be immediately visible to your friends but only appears to the world after approval.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So that whole thing about getting stuck in a game, and posting that you need help - that was a lie? The real process is, post that you're stuck, wait an indeterminate time until you say forget this, turn on your laptop and go to gamefaqs, and never use miiverse again?

Miiverse = seen by everybody
Miiverse's posts to your friends won't be filtered and will obviously appear instantaneously, like they are right now on 3DS through letterbox or whatever it's called
The video featured the guy texting and videochatting the old friend who was on his friends list

cloudyy

Nintendo was so freaked about social interaction in the past that they demanded FRIEND CODES.
I always thought that friend codes were just a way to simplify the process of getting online. I mean, how many moms and dads who have no clue about technology and internet know what is an account with username, password etc. Heck, they might not even have an email. I remember when I first connected my 360 it was such a chore to set up an account especially with a controller.

def sim

I always thought that friend codes were just a way to simplify the process of getting online. I mean, how many moms and dads who have no clue about technology and internet know what is an account with username, password etc. Heck, they might not even have an email. I remember when I first connected my 360 it was such a chore to set up an account especially with a controller.

Yikes

cloudyy

I can't see how friend "codes" prevent social interaction and cyber-bullying. The fact that you couldn't send a friend request, this on the other hand I agree, but it has nothing to do with "codes" per se, the same restriction could also have been applied if Nintendo had used regular usernames and accounts.

Amir0x

Banned
Now if this isn't irony I don't know what is. So instead of it called Miiverse you want it to be called Isaywhateverthehelliwantandifyoudon'tlikeitleaveverse? I think the people who can't conduct themselves in public should just stay at home locked in their parents basement wondering why chicks don't come over.

I want the Miiverse to not exist, personally. Fuck Mii's. But what I'm saying is not complicated at all. if YOU want to be policed, then all YOU would have to do is go into the parental guidance system and select 'only allow messages for friends' or 'only show filtered messages.' Or some other variation. You may have yourself a filtered, neutered online experience because you're sooooo horrified to see people use the word "fuck" and call people insulting names. Whereas I can just skip these posts using sheer will (a magical power apparently these days, without the help of the GUVMENT or FACELESS CORPORATIONS nobody can do anything it seems!), and enjoy myself all the same. And even laugh at the absurdity of what these people are posting.

But the key difference between YOUR path and mine is that you are trying to force people into that neutered experience; I want to give people the choice.

And any service that does is going to be better

jwj442

Some good news - Reggie basically says that moderation will only happen if users flag a post:
The way to think about how we will ensure a positive consumer experience with MiiVerse… first, there are parental controls. As a parent you can choose for your child not to have any MiiVerse conversation. You can do it only with friends. You can do it with everyone.

The second level is going to be essentially a technology-driven scan to make sure that inappropriate words and inappropriate pictures don't make it onto MiiVerse. The third level is going to be the community that will police and flag items. The fourth level is for a human review at Nintendo.

Let's take that example. I need help with level so-and-so. The technical scan happens. There's no bad words. It happens.
http://kotaku.com/5917363/better-fr...-nintendo-answers-our-burning-wii-u-questions

OMT

I propose that we protest this policy with a mass demonstration. This demonstration will be called the "Million Dick March." Alternatively, it may be called "Occupy Cock'n'balls"

Some good news - Reggie basically says that moderation will only happen if users flag a post:

http://kotaku.com/5917363/better-fr...-nintendo-answers-our-burning-wii-u-questions

Everyone without a tendency towards ridiculous histrionics knew this was going to be the case. That's not many of you.

To be fair, the LA times article was ambiguous, but myself and others tried ramming the idea home page after page - it would be nigh on impossible to moderate everything with human oversight. Too few of you agreed or listened because you were too busy frothing with generic rage into your keyboards.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Everyone without a tendency towards ridiculous histrionics knew this was going to be the case. That's not many of you.

To be fair, the LA times article was ambiguous, but myself and others tried ramming the idea home page after page - it would be nigh on impossible to moderate everything with human oversight. Too few of you agreed or listened because you were too busy frothing with generic rage into your keyboards.
I still enjoyed the this thread a lot, though. It was genuinely enjoyable.

jimi_dini

You're not thinking this through. Screen names and young kids with no moderation is a recipe for disaster. As an adult, I don't want to read about a game on MiiVerse - which is basically gonna be the game's official message board -- and see it littered with a bunch of hate speech.

THIS
oh THIS so much

I mean think about it. It would be like GameFAQs without any moderation at all.

NeoGAF works just fine because of instant ban within some minutes (most of the time), but still people get spoiled/trolled in here. NeoGAF has also the advantage of banning accounts and having months/years of account approval time. You can't just create another account and raise more crap. And for trolls this is no fun at all. Nintendo can't do this. I guess they will even allow some sort of PSN-like account creation, which means everyone and their dog can create 100 accounts in an instant. So banning accounts will be worthless. Banning consoles would be the only proper way and Nintendo can't do that in case of one stupid message. And even having vote up/down won't work properly. I mean just take a look at youtube comments.

I seriously hope that you can message your friends without approval (there is no reason not to allow this). For public messaging this is actually a good way to go.

Berg

I also like the bit about repeat offenders. I'm hoping maybe a three strike rule before every message of yours is subjected to the 3 hr review time.

Edit:
Reggie said:
"If the community is flagging it or if there's an issue where the consumer is continuously trying to send inappropriate content. Because this is account driven, if Stephen Totilo is continuously trying to send inappropriate content then we have the ability to message this."

watershed

Banned
Does each game get only one "mii verse discussion board" thing? And if so won't the board/thread be completely overwhelmed and impossible to use effectively?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Does each game get only one "mii verse discussion board" thing? And if so won't the board/thread be completely overwhelmed and impossible to use effectively?

They'll be 'instanced'. You'll see a custom feed depending on your friends and location.

Top Bottom