• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo intends to maintain a steady stream of releases for Switch

This list is as good as year 1.

I think there's very little chance that Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing would be ready as early as next Summer. I think 2018 is a push for both of them.

I also don't think there's a chance of top down Zelda next year considering most of the team will be working on BotW story DLC. I think the Zelda team will focus on BotW for a long time to come considering the development costs and the industries push to keep people engaged with these massive open Worlds to maximise revenue on their initial investment. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if we get several BotW story DLC's instead of another brand new 3D Zelda this generation.

Scrawnton

I think there's very little chance that Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing would be ready as early as next Summer. I think 2018 is a push for both of them.

I also don't think there's a chance of top down Zelda next year considering most of the team will be working on BotW story DLC. I think the Zelda team will focus on BotW for a long time to come considering the development costs and the industries push to keep people engaged with these massive open Worlds to maximise revenue on their initial investment. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if we get several BotW story DLC's instead of another brand new 3D Zelda this generation.
I politely disagree with Animal Crossing not being ready. They are fully capable of having it ready for a spring 2018 launch. It would have been five years since new leaf and they already have HD assets created for the Amiibo Festival game.

They were probably far along with an AC for Wii U when they decided to pull the plug and move it to Switch and spin out a stupid board game using the assets to generate some type of return.

bumpkin

I'm patiently waiting for the announcement of Super Smash Bros. for Switch. It seems like a no-brainer, and finding out that the GameCube controller adapter works only cements the need for the port.

Personally I’m concerned about the first half of 2018 because I don’t have much interest in Kirby or Yoshi games.

I’m hoping we get a Direct in December or January that will clarify how the year is going to pan out.

MegaMelon

Once Fire Emblem Switch comes out I think I'll pick up a Switch since then I'll have Zelda/MarioOdyssey/FE all available. Pokemon will probably be a 2019 release and I can see SMTV coming out late 2019 as well. I just hope we see anything near the level of support from third parties the 3ds got, in particular for rpgs.

Caramello

Personally I’m concerned about the first half of 2018 because I don’t have much interest in Kirby or Yoshi games.

I’m hoping we get a Direct in December or January that will clarify how the year is going to pan out.

I wouldn't be concerned until February. If there's no January Direct or if there is one that lacks announcements then we'll know. Remember that we had no idea what we'd be playing on Switch and when until January this year.

tsab

They said it before, but this time the effort seem to be more serious.
What I'd like to see is Retro Studios' take on Eternal Darkness

Scrawnton

They said it before, but this time the effort seem to be more serious.
What I'd like to see is Retro Studios' take on Eternal Darkness
I would love this so much. It’s time for a return of that type of horror game. I’d like an eternal darkness made more like a Zelda game where when you enter a dungeon / puzzle like area you have the power to seamlessly go back and forth between a past character and a present one to solve the mystery.

I politely disagree with Animal Crossing not being ready. They are fully capable of having it ready for a spring 2018 launch. It would have been five years since new leaf and they already have HD assets created for the Amiibo Festival game.

They were probably far along with an AC for Wii U when they decided to pull the plug and move it to Switch and spin out a stupid board game using the assets to generate some type of return.

Hmm, good point. There were also rumours that a full scale AC game was scrapped for WiiU so it could also have been well into production and shifted over to Switch.

Luigi's Mansion 3 and Pikmin 4 are the games I really want next year. Anything else will be a bonus.

I wouldn't be concerned until February. If there's no January Direct or if there is one that lacks announcements then we'll know. Remember that we had no idea what we'd be playing on Switch and when until January this year.

I don't expect another major Direct until January at the earliest. Nintendo are all set for the rest of the year with Mario on Friday and Xenoblade 2 in December.

Trevelyan

Banned
Hmm, good point. There were also rumours that a full scale AC game was scrapped for WiiU so it could also have been well into production and shifted over to Switch.

Luigi's Mansion 3 and Pikmin 4 are the games I really want next year. Anything else will be a bonus.

I like you. As of now, my most anticipated Switch games are Pikmin 4 and Animal Crossing. If both of those come out next year, with the same quality of their predecessors, the Switch will go down as my favorite system ever.

That's true but it's kind of too late for first half of 2018. From now on, any brand new game reveal from Nintendo, would be slated for late 2018 release.

Agree to disagree. I think they'll still have some good surprises for Spring that we'll see revealed either in December / January.

WaterAstro

Not gonna happen unless they hired double the studio.

They pretty much stopped releasing games for the last part of the Wii U life just to shove them all in the Switch launch year.

Jubenhimer

Not gonna happen unless they hired double the studio.

They pretty much stopped releasing games for the last part of the Wii U life just to shove them all in the Switch launch year.

Being able to keep a steady flow of titles isn't just about building more studios, it's also about streaming production, and allowing for better communication between teams. EPD has around 11 production teams, so I think we're fine.

Kimawolf

Yep. As long as they are keeping their teams working on a staggered way they will always have games released And count on the 3rd parties to begin contributing more as well. I think its not outside the realm of discussion to think it won't happen.

If 2018 had 2-3 good new games and 4-5 Wii U deluxe editions, I would be totally fine with that.

2-3 good games in 12 months? Gonna need more than that lol, that's fuckin Wii U territory.

They should at least be doing one "big" game per month. They couldn't do it this year so I doubt they can next year either.

Dabi

New Zelda, splatoon, Mario and xenoblade in one year is amazing. If they keep this output, it going to be an amazing console. Whats left for next year? Yoshi, Metroid, Kirby, Pikmin?

Project Octopath, Fire Emblem as well. Metroid is probably 2019.

DeaDPo0L84

I just put a neon switch on layaway. I know im gonna be getting zelda, mario odyssey, and mario kart. My question is concerning a second controller. I could buy two more joycons, a pro controller, or one of those themed Power A wired controllers. Anyone got the scoop on what's the best choice?

EhoaVash

Retro kid Icarus is what I want.

But who knows they're so unpredictable

Next Level is Luigi's Mansion 3
Monster games probably working on that tropical freeze port
Work in Mario kart 9 probably progressed
Intelligent system on FE

2018 is all about Pokemon and animal crossing I feel.

If poke gets delayed then it's probably going to be replaced with ..nsmb switch lol

Unison

I just remembered Dragon Quest XI is probably coming next year... I wonder if the Switch version of that will be Nintendo published.

Calm Mind

I'm not trying to douse the Switch's fire but I believe this year has been big for the Switch due to the Wii U being gimped so harshly. All of this could have easily been on its platform.

tbh the Wii U was gimped from inception. Breath of the Wild not being delayed wouldn't have changed shit. Great software does not change perception of an unwanted device.

Unison

I think the big takeaway here is that it's more important to have consistent first party releases without droughts than it is to have a stellar launch lineup... Zelda was a great launch title, but 1-2 Switch was middling, yet no one complains about the launch software because Nintendo continued to deliver throughout the year.

2-3 good games in 12 months? Gonna need more than that lol, that's fuckin Wii U territory.

They should at least be doing one "big" game per month. They couldn't do it this year so I doubt they can next year either.

Why would they need to do one big game per month? When Sony and MS do that I'll expect that from Nintendo too.

Mory Dunz

depends on your definition of big. A blockbuster every month is impossible for any company so it's a null argument.

Nevertheless for Switch it did about as good as you'd expect
March: Zelda, 1-2
April - MK8
May - Nothing. 3rd party was Minecraft, USFII (which I wouldn't normally mention, but it sold better than it should've), and Disgaea (see USFII). MK8 was also late April...
June - ARMS
July - Splatoon 2
August - Mario Rabbids
September - Pokken
Oct - hm can't think of anything
Nov - Nothing. 3rd party has several games
Dec - Xenoblade.

The off months were May and November. but there are notable 3rd party games in those months. Also MK8D had better legs than expected into May, and I assume Mario Ody will keep selling in November. So I don't see an issue anywhere in the schedule.

If anything was an issue it'd be from March 3rd to Apr 28, but BOTW was strong.

depends on your definition of big. A blockbuster every month is impossible for any company so it's a null argument.

Nevertheless for Switch it did about as good as you'd expect
March: Zelda, 1-2
April - MK8
May - Nothing. 3rd party was Minecraft, USFII (which I wouldn't normally mention, but it sold better than it should've), and Disgaea (see USFII). MK8 was also late April...
June - ARMS
July - Splatoon 2
August - Mario Rabbids
September - Pokken
Oct - hm can't think of anything
Nov - Nothing. 3rd party has several games
Dec - Xenoblade.

The off months were May and November. but there are notable 3rd party games in those months. Also MK8D had better legs than expected into May, and I assume Mario Ody will keep selling in November. So I don't see an issue anywhere in the schedule.

If anything was an issue it'd be from March 3rd to Apr 28, but BOTW was strong.

Lol

Mensrea

I agree, don't like Yoshi or Kirby.

I'm excited for Metroid, but that's a ways off, I hope I have something to play this spring.

jadedm17

The burn-out of hardcore and multiplayer games has been killing me, I fully welcome more titles for my Switch I can just sit down and enjoy. I'm ready with open... Wallet.

Barryman

I mean, they really have to, right? It's a very niche system and it's not like they can count on tremendous third party support.

"Very niche?"

Also I can't believe this website is still up. Wish Evilore would just hand it over to someone else. Too lazy to get a ResetEra username. Ban me I guess...

seady

I think we can all view the Switch as Nintendo handheld instead of console in term of game production. Nintendo always has a lot of games for their handheld system but not so much for console.

Furthermore, Nintendo only has one system left. Even the next Pokemon is coming to the Switch. So their game output will be much more focused.

Neff

I wonder if they'll tease something in a Direct for November, or will they take their time until January/February.

They announced Bayonetta 2 shortly before Wii U's holiday launch and made very memorable waves with that, even though it was almost 2 years away.

There is a chance they might throw out a megaton incentive or two to maximise Xmas sales.

tsab

I would love this so much. It’s time for a return of that type of horror game. I’d like an eternal darkness made more like a Zelda game where when you enter a dungeon / puzzle like area you have the power to seamlessly go back and forth between a past character and a present one to solve the mystery.

HD Rumble Sanity Meter would be dope

Top Bottom