• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo is not praised enough.

Outside of the tiny niche that is GAF, mobile games are a market 10 times larger than consoles and the Nintendo Switch is the 3rd best selling dedicated games hardware in history behind only the PS2 and the 3DS.

Don't worry OP, the average consumers praise Nintendo daily and vote with their wallets.

As if people don’t do the same with Sony and Microsoft, especially the way people here obsess over CEOs. That just internet.

Hit it right on the nail

Nintendo in my view has made more misses then home runs as of late. The only reason they have remained relevant to me is because of Zelda, 3D Mario, and Animal Crossing.

This might just be me, but I wasn't a fan of Odyssey (they tried hyping it like it was gonna be like Sunshine but it wasn't), but I really enjoyed BOTW. After 100 hours you see just how barren BOTW is though. TOTK was a better game, but it was the very first Zelda game I didn't care to beat because it recycled way too much from BOTW and got stale because of it. Animal Crossing was a colossal letdown. The dialouge/personality of past games were thrown out and it just became a little Minecraft clone.

I could complain about them getting rid of the virtual console, lack of Switch themes, bad online, etc, but I've only cared for Zelda, Mario, and Animal Crossing. I'm a simple guy.

Well when they don't knock it out of the park with their IPs they've pretty much lost me. Nintendo is just boring now. There are better experiences out there. I don't have any interest in them anymore. They got me into gaming in 1996 with the N64, but they're a shadow of what they were.

I like 2D Mario but I just don't see it as being worthy of any kind of hype...

The only gaming companies doing the right things are Valve and Meta imo. While I'm not fond of Meta they are the only ones really putting in the serious money and effort to make VR gaming a reality. Valve is just an amazing company all the way around. Super consumer focused, but its a damn shame they don't make more games. When they do though they're the best of the best.

I can see your complaints. My issue with Nintendo this generation is alot of their first parties are Wii U Ports. I hated BOTW, so I skipped buying TOTK. As for Mario Odyssey and Animal Crossing New Leaf, I loved them both. I hope for Switch 2, they actually make new games in each franchise instead of porting.

I'm a huge fan of Valve, they are the only company that's pro consumer. Gabe is right about piracy, it's a service issue.

Ariana Grande Singing GIF by The Voice

DryvBy

For every good game, we have to also remember the Joycons are the bigger rip off controller in existence. They're pieces of dollar store trash.

Last edited:

NanaMiku

I can see your complaints. My issue with Nintendo this generation is alot of their first parties are Wii U Ports. I hated BOTW, so I skipped buying TOTK. As for Mario Odyssey and Animal Crossing New Leaf, I loved them both. I hope for Switch 2, they actually make new games in each franchise instead of porting.
Wait until they ported all Switch games to Switch 2 lol
I'm a huge fan of Valve, they are the only company that's pro consumer. Gabe is right about piracy, it's a service issue.
Valve is good, the only problem is that they need to make more games

Wait until they ported all Switch games to Switch 2 lol

Valve is good, the only problem is that they need to make more games

Truthfully I would be fine with that due to seeing if all the ports run at 1080p 30FPS/60FPS lol. What I want is a Xenoblade Chronicles X Port. Never played it

As for Valve yes they do but I guess Gabe doesn't care anymore due to Steam making them all that money

Last edited:

Woopah

Hit it right on the nail

I wouldn't say a lot were Wii U ports. In the first 2 years that was definitely a valid complaint, but at this point it's less than 10% of games Nintendo published on Switch.

For every good game, we have to also remember the Joycons are the bigger rip off controller in existence. They're pieces of dollar store trash.
As actual controllers I really like them. But the build quality is absolutely sub-par.

Love Nintendo, they could drop their prices somewhat but they're not doing that when in sustained first place. I just cannot justify extended high prices on devices, games and peripherals forever, like Nintendo execs do. Sure the quality is there but there's a limit to wanting to pay for Zelda and Mario over and over. I lost interest in Zelda completely with BotW, just not what I like in games (slow climbing/exploring/degradation/crafting).

As for my kids, yep we have a Switch and Wii U in the house as well as minis etc. Regarding kids and gaming then Nintendo is a rite of passage if you ask me. Would be nice to not have to pay a premium with shit online services and third party releases though.

Heap the praise on Nintendo but there's room for criticism of them too.

keefged4

First class game developers, no-one is disputing that, But their attitude towards their "fans" is fucking atrocious, they don't care about preservation and just want to milk every penny out of you. They are insanley greedy and expect users to re-buy the games they have already bought whenever a new generation comes around. They like to abuse DMCAs on youtubers who even fart in their general direction, also love shitting on fan mods etc the list goes on. Dont get me started on Emulation. I cant believe there is folk on here who defend them in this day and age, especially here on a gaming enthusiast forum. It boggles the mind. We can enjoy their games, sure, but still call them out for being a shitty company.

Mythoclast

The fact that this company in 2023 doesn’t have an achievement system, or even worse, a way to communicate with your friends via message, let alone start a voice chat party, is unfathomable.

Kataploom

Gold Member
1C8pXGb.png

This was when I first realised that the Nintendo review score buff is very real
It wasn't my thing for you sword shit mechanic but I know people that literally put it as a top game ever, like what I didn't like about it is what they actually loved. So yeah, it's just a matter of tastes, for me it's a 8 game with 4 combat

Top Bottom