• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo lists September NA eShop best sellers: Rabbids #1, Sonic #2, Golf Story #3

Cerium

Worth noting that Golf Story launched on the 28th and had less than three days of sales.

In a news post sent out to Switch owners, Nintendo lists the best-selling games on the North American Switch eShop for the month of September 2017.

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle was first, followed by Sonic Mania. Golf Story was also in the top three despite launching very late into the month.

Here’s the full list:

1. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
2. Sonic Mania
3. Golf Story
4. SteamWorld Dig 2
5. Overcooked: Special Edition
6. NBA 2K18
7. Pokken Tournament DX
8. Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition
9. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
10. Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
11. LEGO Worlds
12. Arcade Archives Mario Bros.
13. Splatoon 2
14. Picross S
15. Snipperclips

SalvaPot

Golf Story is such a great game, I've been playing it pretty much non-stop. It has that Earthbound-y feel of characters with silly dialogue and surreal yet plausible situations, mixed with the Yu-Gi-Oh! "Everything revolves around this particular hobby" feeling.

Switch is just making playing games such a joy.

ggx2ac

In a news post sent out to Switch owners, Nintendo lists the best-selling games on the North American Switch eShop for the month of September 2017.

Is that what it actually says? That means it's referencing more than one eShop... US, Canada, Mexico?

tolkir

Europe

01. Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle (Ubisoft)
02. Sonic Mania (Sega)
03. SteamWorld Dig 2 (Image & Form)
04. Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition (Mojang)
05. Golf Story (Sidebar Games)
06. Fifa 18 (Electronic Arts)
07. Lego Worlds (Warner Bros)
08. The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ (Nicalis)
09. Thimbleweed Park (Terrible Toybox)
10. Pokken Tournament DX (Nintendo)

Cerium

Is that what it actually says? That means it's referencing more than one eShop... US, Canada, Mexico?
It says "This news is distributed by Nintendo for our Nintendo Account holders in the Americas."

So it appears to be regional and not merely national.

ggx2ac

It says "This news is distributed by Nintendo for our Nintendo Account holders in the Americas."

So it appears to be regional and not merely national.

That means it's for North America, South America and everything in-between.

It's nice to see both Steamworld Dig 2 and Golf Story selling well, but it's curious to me that Golf Story is selling better.

I know both have been received well, but just going off looks alone, Steamworld Dig 2 would appear to be the far more polished and quality game. Maybe Golf Story's lower price is what helps it edge out Steamworld Dig 2? Or maybe just golf is simpler, more relatable and appealing concept.

SalvaPot

Europe

02. Sonic Mania (Sega)

Wow, Ubisoft must be really happy with the performance MaRabbids.

Also good to see FIFA there.

It's nice to see both Steamworld Dig 2 and Golf Story selling well, but it's curious to me that Golf Story is selling better.

I know both have been received well, but just going off looks alone, Steamworld Dig 2 would appear to be the far more polished and quality game. Maybe Golf Story's lower price is what helps it edge out Steamworld Dig 2? Or maybe just golf is simpler, more relatable and appealing concept.

Golf Story filled the "PLEASE NINTENDO MAKE ANOTHER MARIO GOLF/TENNIS RPG LIKE THE GAME BOY ONES" hole, so its fully backed by the starving Nintendo fans.

Cerium

While Steamworld Dig 2 is polished and excellent, it's also a Metroidvania, a genre that has probably the most brutal indie competition of all.

Golf Story is truly unique in this day and age. There's no other game like it.

jariw

So did Golf Story

FIFA 18 was retail as well, and it's a pretty big download if you buy it digital. I usually go digital on the Switch, but FIFA 18 was one of those few games that didn't make much sense to me to buy digitally.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
So did Golf Story

Golf Story is a Switch eShop exclusive and costs a quarter of Fifa 18.

Not that difficult to understand why it would perform better on eShop charts.

Steamworld Dig 2 isnt a Switch exclusive. You need a Switch for Golf Story and even though i think SD2 Switch sales are a mayor part of the total sales....its also on PC, PS4 and Vita.

There arent many games like Golf Story out and some fans have been waiting for the return of Camelot type sports rpgs for a while. Its been a long time........

Not surprising tbh. Switch fans are hungry for strategy games that mix together Mario with the Raving Rabbids.

Hah...true.

Atheerios

It's important to mention this is only for the US.

Mexico and Canada rankings are different. FIFA 18 is a lot higher in the Mexico rankings.

Edit: or they could be mixing all countries into one ranking. That would explain it.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Europe

02. Sonic Mania (Sega)
Not bad at all for Fifa, knowing it could be found for 15€ less in physical version, when preordered in France. So this result must be a consequence of the UK and Germany shortage.

Haunted

You know, that's not a bad month in terms of game quality for a Nintendo console. Good games, a variety of genres... good stuff.

Golf Story is great.

jariw

Golf Story is truly unique in this day and age. There's no other game like it.

Yeah, it's truly unique that a game with so many game breaking bugs get so much sales. I look forward to try to play it again when the patch has arrived.

MicH

Europe

02. Sonic Mania (Sega)
Wow, only one Nintendo game and it's at 10th. These are new times for sure. Hopefully third parties continue to thrive on the Switch!

vaderise

Rabbids is a truely special title. I hope it'll be an example for third party developers.
Show effort , get sales. Easy.

Mory Dunz

not....horrible for nba 2k I guess? Retail will paint a bigger picture.

not...bad for FIFA in Europe. But again we'll see.

I'm certain Sonic Mania is highest SKU on Switch

jdstorm

Banned
Rabbids is a truely special title. I hope it'll be an example for third party developers.
Show effort , get sales. Easy.

You know thats not the lesson most will learn.

Most 3rd Parties will go Whelp "Only Mario sells on Nintendo systems" and continue to put in 0 care

Flarin

Good for Golf Story, considering it was only available for like 3 days in September. I'll be curious to see if Stardew Valley beats out Mario for October since it will have been out longer.
Probably not.

Good for Golf Story, considering it was only available for like 3 days in September. I'll be curious to see if Stardew Valley beats out Mario for October since it will have been out longer.
Probably not.
It probably will seeming as a large chunk of Odyssey will be sold physically.

oti

Banned
I would really love to know how well Overcooked has done so far. It was a success on other platforms too but with the two controllers included I could see many people buying and loving Overcooked on Switch. Despite the initial performance problems. Up until recently it was always in the top 10 in Europe.

D_prOdigy

Surprised that a full-priced retail game still ended up beating out everything else on the eShop. It wasn't stock-constrained or anything.

Top Bottom