• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Network ID - Friend codes no more [Maybe? Maybe not? Not clarified, yay]

Given that it's the Nintendo Network ID, you need the ID to log into Miiverse, and the screenshot says ID, unless Nintendo is poop-pants crazy and not quirky uncle crazy, I think we can assume they are the same thing.

Luigiv

If there was a number code it would be visible in that profile screenshot. Quite obviously there is no such code. Instead what I do see is a screen/mii name and a separate "ID". The official translation also said something along the lines of "users will trade NiN IDs for friend requests in place of friend codes". Put two and two together and it's pretty damn fucking obvious whats going on.

Edit: Good, I was beaten on these points. This pleases me.

nickcv

thinking about this a little more we will be able to sign up on our NNID from other devices (smartphones and PCs).

to sign up you'll probably need to input your NNID and password.

as stupid as nintendo can be they cannot think that we will have to remember a long numeric code to login.

we will surely find this out in about two weeks.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
please don't be IP locked

mrklaw

MrArseFace
if it is name based, then I hope they'll open a web based account creation page so that those getting the machine later in their markets aren't unfairly affected by not being able to select a desired name

they did say meet miis from all over the world and they also talked about language differences can be helped by drawings and smileys in the Iwata Asks

also the Iwata to Reggie Wii U Chat does not seem locked other than gaming software

Ydahs

Okay, here's the Japanese Iwata Asks. Is "numbers" also mentioned there like it is in the English translation? The specific paragraph:
『Miiverse』というのは、
Miiを通じて世界中の人たちがつながる、
Wii Uにシステムレベルで統合された
ゲームをもっと楽しむためのネットワークサービスです。
好きなゲームソフトの広場で感想を述べあったり、
手描きの絵や、コメントを書き込んだりしながら、
お客さん同士で交流を楽しむことができるサービスです。
また、「お互いのIDを打ち込む」という
これまでのフレンドコード(※2)を打ち込むのと
同じような方法に加えて、『Miiverse』を使うことで、
いままでより簡単にフレンド関係を
成立させることもできるようになります。
ではまず、近藤さんから自己紹介をお願いします。

※2

フレンドコード=WiiやニンテンドーDS、ニンテンドー3DSなどで、インターネットに接続するときに、割り振られるIDのこと。お互いにフレンドコードを登録すると、離れた場所にいる友達とインターネットを通じて通信プレイが楽しめる。

D-e-f-

Banned
So I guess the people always bitching about 100 people friend limits can now partially shut up finally? Ability to follow 1000 (one thousand!) people in addition to 100 friends and an presumably unlimited amount of people being able to follow YOU? I think everyone's needs should be covered with that.

I'm very happy with what I saw today. Everything I personally need the thing to do seems to be covered.

Okay, here's the Japanese Iwata Asks. Is "numbers" also mentioned there like it is in the English translation? The specific paragraph:

Satoru Iwata said:
Miiverse is a network service that’s integrated at the very core of Wii U. It allows people from all over the world to connect with each other through their Mii characters. In the plaza of their favourite games, players can share their thoughts, post hand-drawn illustrations, write comments and enjoy interacting with each other.And in addition to being able to exchange each other’s ID numbers as with the previous Friend Codes2, Miiverse makes it possible to become friends with someone more easily. Please introduce yourselves – starting with you, Kondo-san.

2 Friend Code: A unique ID allocated when a Wii, Nintendo DS or Nintendo 3DS owner connects to the Internet. By exchanging Friend Codes, players can play games together online.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Iwata-ask...pathy-Network-/1-Empathy-Network--662853.html

Revven

I'm pretty interested in a Wii U now that the online seems competent, but I'm definitely still not day 1ing like I have other Nintendo consoles.

This all seems good, too good. WHATS THE CATCH?

we have to wait until IGN or Others are allowed to update and download the service.

it cannot be said enough the development is ongoing so things can change and improve a lot in the next 6 months or so.

Cannot wait to see what 3rd Parties do with all of this later

Chopper

So as long as we know that the IDs are seeing in these screenshots (like willwill) can only be used ONCE, then we can safely assume that NNIDs can be any combination of numbers or letters we choose. Much like every other console online service.

We just need Nintendo to confirm this bit of information.

Annoying that the two most exciting announcements come with two huge looming question marks. The other being the uncertainty about eShop purchases being tied to account or console. They did not specifically state if you can download your purchaes onto another Wii U hassle-free.

Edit: The Iwata quote above genuinely sounds like it is easier to become friends with people you don't know than people you do!

Nickovic

we have to wait until IGN or Others are allowed to update and download the service.

it cannot be said enough the development is ongoing so things can change and improve a lot in the next 6 months or so.

Cannot wait to see what 3rd Parties do with all of this later

Iwata mentioned it needing an update for it to all work will it be on day 1?

The other being the uncertainty about eShop purchases being tied to account or console. They did not specifically state if you can download your purchaes onto another Wii U hassle-free.

"Purchases made in Nintendo eShop are managed by Nintendo Network ID, so download software and add-on content purchased in Nintendo eShop can be played by all users registered to that console."

See 2:23 of Accounts on Wii U here: http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/Nintendo-Direct/Nintendo-Direct/Nintendo-Direct-638747.html

Interesting. So maybe a mistranslation in the English Iwata Asks?

When I saw that earlier, I thought the mention of "being able to exchange each other’s ID numbers" might have just been a mistranslation, since everything else points towards a username as an ID.

You're right. The word "numbers" isn't there in Japanese. It should read:

"And in addition to being able to exchange each other’s IDs as with the previous Friend Codes, Miiverse makes it possible to become friends with someone more easily."

Chopper

"Purchases made in Nintendo eShop are managed by Nintendo Network ID, so download software and add-on content purchased in Nintendo eShop can be played by all users registered to that console."

See 2:23 of Accounts on Wii U here: http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/Nintendo-Direct/Nintendo-Direct/Nintendo-Direct-638747.html
Yeah. That states that multiple users (ie memebers of my family) can use the games I download onto our Wii U console. It doesn't state if I can download them onto another just through my NNID.

I know all common sense points to that being the case, but a few specifics would be nice considering the changes that appear to be going on at Nintendo. But they are everything but conventional.

"And in addition to being able to exchange each other’s IDs as with the previous Friend Codes, Miiverse makes it possible to become friends with someone more easily."

Sounds like he's just using Friend Codes here as a reference point for people familiar with the Wii's online.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Can somebody answer how voice chat works in those games though, or do we just not know yet?

images

Sounds like he's just using Friend Codes here as a reference point for people familiar with the Wii's online.

If they're really dead and gone, they shouldn't be name-dropped. Doing so only causes confusion, especially when translating details from Japanese into English.

nickcv

we have been saved!

thanks Cheesemeister!

Yea, that also matches the translation of the Nintendo Direct where Iwata only used it as a reference point. The ID in all screenshots is alphanumeric.

Revven

Based Cheesemeister! <3

And yet still no word on proper online gaming. Do we have confirmation if ANY launch games will have online play?

Rayman Legends has UPlay integration (only for leaderboards and social functions but still)... Black Ops II is online... Monster Hunter is online at launch in Japan... Dragon Quest X U comes out early next year. Nah, we don't have confirmation of online play.

Hobby

I think he's talking about Friend Codes with the exchanging IDs business, not NNIDs, as the note about Friend Codes calls them IDs. This doesn't mean you can't exchange NNIDs to add friends, though, of course.

&#12501;&#12524;&#12531;&#12489;&#12467;&#12540;&#12489;&#65309;Wii&#12420;&#12491;&#12531;&#12486;&#12531;&#12489;&#12540;DS&#12289;&#12491;&#12531;&#12486;&#12531;&#12489;&#12540;3DS&#12394;&#12393;&#12391;&#12289;&#12452;&#12531;&#12479;&#12540;&#12493;&#12483;&#12488;&#12395;&#25509;&#32154;&#12377;&#12427;&#12392;&#12365;&#12395;&#12289;&#21106;&#12426;&#25391;&#12425;&#12428;&#12427;ID&#12398;&#12371;&#12392;&#12290;

"And in addition to being able to exchange each other&#8217;s IDs as with the previous Friend Codes, Miiverse makes it possible to become friends with someone more easily."

yeah this is totally "remember when the only way you could become friend with people was to trade friend codes? You can still do that with your Nintendo Network ID but in addition to that you can now add friends right from Miiverse!"

Top Bottom