• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo once accounted for 10% of Walmart’s profits + Other Tidbits

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Yeah, I forgot, PC/like gaming was booming so hard in the 80s that the EA board didn't threaten to fire the CEO if he didn't put EA's games on NES.

Oh wait.
You're right - Atari, Mattel, and Coleco all developed and/or distributed PC-like hardware in their last ditch efforts because they wanted to lose even more money.

Oh wait.

Guess Who

Banned
You're right - Atari, Mattel, and Coleco all developed and/or distributed PC-like hardware in their last ditch efforts because they wanted to lose even more money.

Oh wait.

Wait, so your argument that the PC was successful at the time is "look at all these PC-inspired systems that bombed hard"?

Eusis

The real reason Sega failed was because of the war between Sega of Japan and Sega of America.
A lot of us likely learned about that way back. Though I do wonder how much longer they could've held out anyway once heavyweights like Sony and Microsoft turned their eyes on the industry, Nintendo got ahead because of the appeal of their IP and how ruthless they were initially nevermind their other ventures, but I'm not sure Sega had as much in that regard. Certainly not the ruthless angle despite the marketing.

PC gaming might have been gaining traction, but the idea that it would have had any sort of impact that Nintendo did on the market is laughable.

Vice

Which meant diddly squat outside of north america.

Video games were still being made and played throughout Nintendos tenure. Sega would of entered the Market with or without Nintendo going first.

The American market is very important though. It's one region but it's the one that spends the most on consoles, iirc.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Wait, so your argument that the PC was successful at the time is "look at all these PC-inspired systems that bombed hard"?
My argument is that the narrative of Nintendo being the Jesus Christ of video games is inaccurate for several reasons, chief among them being that there was still a PC game market that existed before, during, and after 1983.

I am citing the PC inspired hardware as a means of proof that these other companies recognized the existence of that market.

Anyone who's interested in the history of Nintendo (as well as the video gaming scene in the era before and after the crash) should pick up David Sheff's Game Over book. It's an interesting read. And yes, Yamauchi was fucking scary.

Except it's not. Nintendo had to market the NES as a toy rather than a video game console because the industry was dead. No one would sell a video game console after Atari basically cratered the industry. Nintendo had to rebuild from scratch and as I'm sure it pains many people to view it that way, those are the facts.

you're talking about a temporary attitude by retailers towards videogames in north america alone. Videogames were still being made and there was definitely an audience for them.

As was pointed out, Arcades were unaffected- consumers were still running out to throw quarters in things like gauntlet and spy hunter. And in this era arcade machines weren't restricted to "arcades" those things were everywhere you had an outlet to plug them into. Grocery stores, laundromats, college rec rooms, the corner deli, 7-11, your local comic shop- EVERYWHERE.

SEGA had already been well into manufacturing the master system, and had a very strong arcade presence. Had there been no nintendo, SEGA eventually would have marketed the master system here- it didn't do much in the states largely thanks to nintendo's anticompetitive practices but was relatively popular in Brazil and EU.

Had nintendo not come along the industry would have looked different for 2 to 3 years, but the end result would have been the same. SEGA, NEC, and other japanese companies would have eventually found a receptive retailer in the states to partner with, OR Atari/Commodore/Tandy/Amiga/Apple would have made greater inroads with computer gaming systems.

Anyone who's interested in the history of Nintendo (as well as the video gaming scene in the era before and after the crash) should pick up David Sheff's Game Over book. It's an interesting read. And yes, Yamauchi was fucking scary.

I've read it a few times. It's a great read and an interesting insight into how Nintendo worked back in those days. They were cut-throat but the video game industry wouldn't be where it is today if they didn't act as such. In no way would Sega of all companies been able to pull off what Nintendo did.

Sega would have never had the impact that Nintendo did on a global scale. Nintendo's dominance in North America really set the stage for the entire industry and if it wasn't for Nintendo of America building an empire during the NES days, Sega would have never had any sort grasp on the industry that they gained during the Genesis days.

Sega was always sort of a mess, even if it worked out for them during the Genesis days.

NES really didn't sell that well in Europe. PS1 was first mainstream console here. We were rocking our home computers from early 80s to mid 90s when it came to gaming so the crash had pretty much zero effects on European market.

My argument that the narrative of Nintendo being the Jesus Christ of video games is inaccurate for several reasons, chief among them being that there was still a PC game market that existed before, during, and after 1983.

I am citing the PC inspired hardware as a means of proof that these other companies recognized the existence of that market.

The existence of a much, much less relevant niche market is not really a very good counterpoint against Nintendo's policies and products having a dramatically bigger impact (in fact, the impact was precisely in line with Nintendo's philosophies behind their policies and products).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The most interesting what if in video game history is what the world would look like if Nintendo actually bothered trying in Europe before they released the Wii and DS.

Sega would have never had the impact that Nintendo did on a global scale. Nintendo's dominance in North America really set the stage for the entire industry and if it wasn't for Nintendo of America building an empire during the NES days, Sega would have never had any sort grasp on the industry that they gained during the Genesis days.

Sega was always sort of a mess, even if it worked out for them during the Genesis days.

There is no way to see how successful Sega would have been if Nintendo wasnt in the picture.

The fact remains, that the idea that we would not be playing Video games today without Nintendo is patently false, especially worldwide. It is arguably it may not of grown to the industry it is today without them, but it would of still existed, even on the home console front.

Lets not forget Atari still returned to the home console market after the 2600

Eusis

The most interesting what if in video game history is what the world would look like if Nintendo actually bothered trying in Europe before they released the Wii and DS.
I suspect a lot of Japanese companies would've formed better European branches sooner than later. Granted some seem to have effectively made their European branch their core Western branch (Tecmo Koei most notably) but I wouldn't be surprised if the likes of Atlus would've been firmly rooted in Europe along with NA had Nintendo focused on them more earlier on.

There is no way to see how successful Sega would have been if Nintendo wasnt in the picture.

The fact remains, that the idea that we would not be playing Video games today without Nintendo is patently false, especially worldwide. It is arguably it may not of grown to the industry it is today without them, but it would of still existed, even on the home console front.

Lets not forget Atari still returned to the home console market after the 2600

Exactly.

I forgot all about the atari 7800. If wiki is correct it managed to launch (or re-launch) itself in january of 1986, a mere 3 months after nintendo hit store shelves without marketing itself as a toy as nintendo did. Combine that with Sega launching the master system in 1986 a few months later, and it seems that consoles returning to shelves is a bit of an inevitability.

The American market is very important though. It's one region but it's the one that spends the most on consoles, iirc.

But it isnt the only market, a fact often forgotten on forums such as this one. Video games would of continued to exist without Nintendo. There was no way to put the genie back in the bottle even after a industry crash that effected the biggest market.

Good article amd the book looks cool. I didn't quite understand this part though:

Out of everything he uncovered, however, Harris still has one thing that he still shocks him.

“I still can’t believe that Sega passed up the opportunity to release the consoles that became the Sony PlayStation and Nintendo 64,” Harris said. “And even more surprising than the fact that they missed out on these two consoles, which ultimately led Sega to their untimely demise, were the strange reasons why this was the case.”

By virtue of it being the smaller/more enthusiast-driven market versus the Nintendo market?

in the US this is correct, but the opposite was true in the EU. how true this is depends on what side of the pond you were on.

Keep in mind as well that nintendo's presence in the US and anticompetitive practices kept PC gaming systems like the Atari XE from gaining a foothold. If you wanted to make games for nintendo, you didn't make them for anyone else. Likewise on the retailer end, Nintendo was notorious for threatening to cut off shipments to retailers who didn't fall in line.

Without nintendo doing things like this, there would have been a lot more competition in the industry from 1985-1989 or so.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
It's sort of surreal to see the lengths some of you will go to to begrudge nintendo any success they may have had even historically.

"The Ford Model T was a successfully selling car."
"None of us would be driving cars if it wasn't for the Ford Model T."

There's a pretty wide gap between these two statements, and only one of them is objectively true.

NekoFever

Seems kind of shitty for Venture Beat to basically pull out the juicy bits from an unreleased book and get a bunch of hits while basically spoiling a book that an author spent years working on. :(

The first thing I did after reading the article was preorder the book.

Talking about scary, the price of that book on Amazon is scary.

I've never actually seen a retail copy of that book. Every single person I know who's read it got their copy from Arcade magazine, which gave it away as a free gift in the 90s.

There's a pretty wide gap between these two statements, and only one of them is objectively true.

The Model T Ford represents the creation and establishment of the automotive industry, with the automobile becoming a mass market consumer purchase instead of an expensive toy for the rich.

"It was just the best selling" is massively dismissive of the success it deserved, and ignprant of the reality of market conditions at the time.

If that's the simile you want to use for the NES, go for it.

It's sort of surreal to see the lengths some of you will go to to begrudge nintendo any success they may have had even historically.

^^ This right here.

No one is saying nintendo wasn't phenomenally successful with the NES (for legal and not so legal reasons) but it takes a hell of a leap to assume that US retailers simply hated money and would ignore the profitability of arcade games as well as platforms overseas just because of what happened in 1983.

And as for nintendo's model of "locking out" unauthorized software saving the industry, apparently Atari had already realized this was a problem and designed a solution to it with the 7800, released in 1984.

Following the debate over Custer's Revenge, an Atari 2600 VCS title with adult themes, Atari had concerns over similar adult titles finding their way onto the 7800 and displaying adult graphics on the significantly improved graphics of the MARIA chip. To combat this, they included a digital signature protection method which prevented unauthorized 7800 games from being played on the system.

When a cartridge was inserted into the system, the 7800 BIOS included code which would generate a digital signature of the cartridge ROM and compare it to the signature stored on the cartridge. If a correct signature was located on the cartridge, the 7800 would operate in 7800 mode, granting the game access to MARIA and other features. If a signature was not located, the 7800 remained in 2600 mode and MARIA was unavailable. All 7800 games released in North America had to be digitally signed by Atari. This digital signature code is not present in PAL 7800s, which use various heuristics to detect 2600 cartridges, due to export restrictions.[citation needed] The signing utility was found and released by Classic Gaming Expo in 2001.[14]

NastyBook

• Walmart barely even wanted to speak to Sega of America, let alone stock its Genesis system back in the early days of the 16-bit console’s life in the U.S. This was...Because Nintendo was scary as hell.
Walmart: If we pulled some of your games off the shelf to make room for Sega's, would you die?
Nintendo: It would be extremely painful...
Walmart: You're a big company!
Nintendo: ...for you.

That stupid struggle between Sega of America and Sega of Japan costed us the final chapter of the Eternal Champions. That game had potential. Imagine a reboot with current gen graphics... :(

Oh, well. We still have Virtua Fighter, right?
right?

The Model T Ford represents the creation and establishment of the automotive industry, with the automobile becoming a mass market consumer purchase instead of an expensive toy for the rich.

"It was just the best selling" is massively dismissive of the success it deserved, and ignprant of the reality of market conditions at the time.

If that's the simile you want to use for the NES, go for it.

which still has no bearing on the statement "We would not be driving today if the Model T had not existed" Which is still false, just like the idea the NES is the reason we are playing video games 30 years later, especially globally.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Talking about scary, the price of that book on Amazon is scary.

Wow. I got it at EB for free because they were going to throw it away, lol.
I always thought it was funny that the author seems to admire Nintendo, yet the book is like a monument to their evil.

Wow. I got it at EB for free because they were going to throw it away, lol.
I always thought it was funny that the author seems to admire Nintendo, yet the book is like a monument to their evil.

you can admire a company and love their output, while still realizing that their business practices are toxic and awful.

Many large companies (Microsoft, Apple, Disney, Marvel) at one point or another have been in this situation, it's not a nintendo only thing.

NandN3DS

Banned
Exactly.

I forgot all about the atari 7800. If wiki is correct it managed to launch (or re-launch) itself in january of 1986, a mere 3 months after nintendo hit store shelves without marketing itself as a toy as nintendo did. Combine that with Sega launching the master system in 1986 a few months later, and it seems that consoles returning to shelves is a bit of an inevitability.
From what I have read the new Atari Corp was going to re-release the 7800 in late 1984.They ran into legal problems because the company that designed the 7800 for them,GCE, owned the rights to the system and not them. They only had it worked out to release it in 1986. I love Nintendo, but Atari's plans had nothing to do with the NES.

NES really didn't sell that well in Europe. PS1 was first mainstream console here. We were rocking our home computers from early 80s to mid 90s when it came to gaming so the crash had pretty much zero effects on European market.

And even before the PS1, the Mega Drive was far more popular than the NES or SNES in Europe (as well as Aus/NZ).

jstripes

Banned
Good article amd the book looks cool. I didn't quite understand this part though:

Out of everything he uncovered, however, Harris still has one thing that he still shocks him.

“I still can’t believe that Sega passed up the opportunity to release the consoles that became the Sony PlayStation and Nintendo 64,” Harris said. “And even more surprising than the fact that they missed out on these two consoles, which ultimately led Sega to their untimely demise, were the strange reasons why this was the case.”

Well, Nintendo co-operated with Silicon Graphics on the N64. Maybe SGI reached out to Sega USA before Nintendo, and Sega Japan told them to go away. As for PlayStation, maybe Sony reached out to Sega Japan after Nintendo rejected them, and Sega said "Nah, we're good." and kept working on Saturn.

From what I have read the new Atari Corp was going to re-release the 7800 in late 1984.They ran into legal problems because the company that designed the 7800 for them,GCE, owned the rights to the system and not them. They only had it worked out to release it in 1986. I love Nintendo, but Atari's plans had nothing to do with the NES.

That's sort of the point? Atari had a system (the 7800) ready to go, that was delayed for random legal reasons.

There was an assertion that nintendo's "this is a toy, not a game console" approach was the ONLY way to get on store shelves in october of 1985, yet Atari managed to get retailers to carry the 7800, a system designed in 1984 that made no attempt at marketing itself as a toy a mere 3 months after the NES hit shelves- despite the fact that Atari should have been toxic to retailers, since it was sort of them that caused the crash of 83 in the first place.

Had there been no nintendo, Atari still would have released the 7800 3 months later- only this time they would have had no viable competition until Sega launched the master system later that year.

Tripon

Can't wait to read all these tidbits about current gen wars in about 50 years.

There's a book about the Wii that was translated from Japanese into English that I ordered a week or two ago. I paid for the crappiest shipping, so its taking a while to get into me, but it was recommended to me by Chris Johnson of Player One Podcast fame, so I can't go wrong.

GoaThief

By virtue of it being the smaller/more enthusiast-driven market versus the Nintendo mass market?
What is this nonsense?

Please try to comprehend what was happening in Europe and other parts of the world during that time. C64, Spectrum ZX, Amstrad, Amiga, Atari ST to name a handful... It was huge business, not some smaller market like you seem to belive it was. That it was smaller only applied in North America which was far, far from the be all and end all of global gaming commerce.

Top Bottom