• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo plans more cooporations!

Shiggy

Accroding to Satoru Iwata Nintendo plans to develop more games with other developers like the cooperations with Kuju and Namco. They won't buy them, because the quality of the games can be sometimes good and sometimes bad.

Source: http://www.just-cubed.de

nubbe

It is much better from a business perspective... Since they might not deliver adequate products... Like Rare and SK.

ge-man

I agree. I think the days of second parties are virtual gone for Nintendo. We might get rare cases like Retro, but all in all it's cheaper to choose to people work with rather than support on group through all their triumphs and misshaps.

Mashing

Buying a developer just so they won't abandon your platform is not a good business decision considering you can't buy people... they could easily leave if they didn't want to make games for your platform and then you're left with the shell of a company... worthless both on paper and in practice

Edit: Before someone else mentions it... Retro are fully owned by Nintendo... they ARE Nintendo, just like EAD and Intelligent Systems are Nintendo

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
this is a good idea, and if it means i can play more games like fzero then im all for it.

ge-man

Mashing--I know Retro is fully owned by Nintendo, but it didn't start out that way. Why I said rare cases I meants oppurtunities where Nintendo would buy a developer outright. Second parties are a dead concept at Nintendo as far as I can see.

I personally think this is one of the better decisions that Nintendo made over the last couple years. It allows developers enough time to flesh out the product and even injects new blood into existing franchises ala F-Zero, Starfox, and Zelda.

Retro is an exception since they must have realized that they hit pay dirt with them. As they said themselves, they have more talent in one studio than pretty much almost any publisher has under their belt. That's pretty incredible.

Count me in for more collaborations. Although I once dreamed of an EAD-Sonic Team collaboration, I now want them to stay far away from Nintendo licenses. Instead, I think AV should get mad props for Monkey Ball 1 and F-Zero GX. I could see the pair doing some incredible things in the future.

edit:

Nintendo to buy Namco, Katmary Damacy exclusive on Revolution!

Don't play with my emotions! ;)

ge-man

Nash--Unless Sammy has a say. I'm getting worried about the future of SMB. I hope the delay is coming from other projects like Spikeout and not from reconsiderations on whether or not to continue the series or move it elsewhere.

I'll reserve judgements on this til I play the New Star Fox. It looks pretty ordinary and doesn't have the shine that SEGA brought to FzeroGX. StarFox has always been about intense air action and they make a hybrid shooter?!? It really all depends; what does this mean though? That Nintendo will be farming out their franchises? I'd rather they get new games onto their console. New exclusives.

As for MGTTS, it was a good remake; the cinematics are great. But it lacks the polish and level of finery that was evident in REmake.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
This makes sense as long as Nintendo hold the position it does (i.e. can get on the blower probably the any developer, talk about co-operation, and get a generally favourable response). Most developers would probably jump at the chance of a creative collaboration with Nintendo, so whilst that lasts, it's all good.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
ge-man - Yes, all non-PSO Sega console titles are in danger.

Don't worry, I will do all I can to ensure a SMB3 does see the light of day somehow. I mean that game is just begging to be LAN, online and use the F-Zero engine. And if I have any say in the matter, which isn't so out-of-the-question now with the people I've been speaking to, then you may still see a SMB3.

Don't give up hope yet people, lets get those monkeys rolling again! :D

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Shiggy said:
Accroding to Satoru Iwata Nintendo plans to develop more games with other developers like the cooperations with Kuju and Namco.
More collaborations like the one with Kuju...? No thanks!

emerge

I can see how collaborations instead of acquisitions are a good thing for Nintendo but somehow fail to see what's in it for the collaborating developers. Granted, some are allowed to make use of Nintendo franchises, but only those that aren't so hot (anymore) in the first place.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
emerge said:
I can see how collaborations instead of acquisitions are a good thing for Nintendo but somehow fail to see what's in it for the collaborating developers. Granted, some are allowed to make use of Nintendo franchises, but only those that aren't so hot (anymore) in the first place.

Developers supporting each other doesn't neccessarily have to be an exchange of franchises ...

Mashing

Advance Wars isn't a hot property? I'd say it's one of their strongest IPs this generation.

And Zelda isn't hot property? Capcom is going to make a fucking mint off Minish Cap... they gotta love that

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
emerge said:

They get a publishing contract, for starts. Nintendo shoulders that bit of risk = why not? There's a certain amount of prestige associated with developing first party for Nintendo, and especially if you get your mitts on some of their IP. You'll get a lot of publicity, and for some developers, it could be an ideal way to expose themselves to, and benefit from, the Nintendo audience.

The only possible downside is if creative conflicts enter into the equation later on, and Nintendo gets all controlling. But there doesn't seem to have been too much of that going on with GC collaborations up till now.

From a business perspective, though, a publishing contract with Nintendo is definitely the biggest attraction. Nintendo's own published stuff also tends to sell well, which means a better chance of more money down the road for the developer. If they get some of Nintendo's own IP, all the better - it's like free money. It's also a way of bypassing perhaps hesitant publishers to bring more "third party" games in by means of a first party framework.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
It's been pretty successful so far. What have we got?

DKC (Rare)
DKC2 (Rare)
DK: King of Swing (Paon Corp)
Mario Pinball (Fuse Games)
Zelda: Oracle of Ages (Flagship)
Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Flagship)
Zelda: ALTTP/4 Swords (Flagship)
Zelda: The Minish Cap (Flagship)
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror (Flagship)
Mario and Luigi: SS (AlphaDream)
F-Zero GX/AX (Amusement Vision)
Starfox (Namco)
Donkey Konga (Namco)
Donkey Konga 2 (Namco)
Advance Wars: UF (Kuju Entertainment)
Pilotwings (Factor 5)
Super Mario RPG (Square)
Mario Golf 64 (Camelot)
Mario Tennis 64 (Camelot)
Mario Golf GBC (Camelot)
Mario Tennis GBC (Camelot)
Mario Golf: TT (Camelot)
Mario Tennis GC (Camelot)
Mario Golf: AT (Camelot)
Mario Tennis GBC (Camelot)
Mario Party (Hudson)
Mario Party 2 (Hudson)
Mario Party 3 (Hudson)
Mario Party 4 (Hudson)
Mario Party 5 (Hudson)

There's probably more I'm forgetting. Hardly a new thing, but I'm glad it's continuing.

ge-man

Another thing to consider is the possiblity of getting licensing breaks or greater support on original projects from the same companies. Collaborations don't have to be a one way street.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Mama Smurf said:
It's been pretty successful so far. What have we got?

There's probably more I'm forgetting. Hardly a new thing, but I'm glad it's continuing.

...and more particularly, expanding, especially in the West.

Mama Smurf

emerge said:

Look at my list and realise you're talking crap.

Scrow said:
More collaborations like the one with Kuju...? No thanks!

so you're not happy that its not a turnbased strategy wargame? The graphics? or what? Admittedly, it looked tosh but I've read handson which said that the game was actually good. If you wnat to play Advance Wars on the cube, get a GBPlayer. Its not like it can get any more next geny on a console, just 3d models and more flashy. I hope they polish it up a lot. This is Nintendo, they'll get it worked out.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
ge-man said:
Another thing to consider is the possiblity of getting licensing breaks or greater support on original projects from the same companies. Collaborations don't have to be a one way street.

Exactly, it can be more than just a one project thing, which will lend a developer more security than they might be used to. Look at Namco - what probably started with talking about creative collaborations like DK Jungle Beat and Pacman and StarFox, turned into a publishing agreement for many more titles between the two (i.e. Nintendo publishing them). Nintendo also seemed to wring more titles out of EA in exchange for Miyamoto's input on various projects (though I'm not sure where that stands now, with Miyamoto brought back more into NCL itself..perhaps Iwata is dealing with EA's stuff now. Not that NCL's involvement was probably particularly big..just enough to make it look good in a press release, probably).

edit - and I'm not saying Namco needed the security, but if a smaller developer really proved itself to Nintendo, Nintendo I'm sure would be more than happy to employ them in future work. Which should also reassure fans that developers will be doing their level best on Nintendo projects..bodes well for quality.

emerge said:

How about working with one of the best publishers in the world?

If there is one publisher that is all about releasing a product when it is finished it would be Nintendo by a mile. Often times you will see good developers forced to release software that the team members know for a fact to be early and not fleshed out nearly enough. Essentially working with Nintendo as a publisher would make you, as a developer, proud later on. Your products might finally get the time they need to get them all buffed up. Imagine how N-Space feels now that a publisher is giving them time to make something that finally stands out in terms of quality. Their corporate resume now has a kick-ass title on it (or at the very least something better than Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen.)

edit:... what gofreak said ;)

Mama Smurf

Hudson? Huh? Wha?

I see little point in putting a turn based Advance Wars game on the GC. I mean, what's the point? What can you do on the GC that would improve it over the GBA? The only reason I can see would be to go online, but as the GC isn't exactly strong in the department, might as wel wait for the DS for that.

From what I can see, the options are either don't put AW on the GC at all, or try something different.

illyria4.jpg
heart.gif
wes20.JPG

jarrod

Banned
Something different I wouldn't mind and Under Fire's concept (sort of 3D platform/RTS hybrid) is novel and fits the IP well... but the execution is just crap so far. Nasty art, medicore visuals/engine, sloppy mechanics... the whole thing just looks so embarassingly bad and very far from the high quality of the GBA releases. Hopefully Nintendo goes "Retro" on the project and steps in personally to fix things up. At the least IntSys should be handling character designs, scenario and art assets (and probably audio too).

As is though, at least Hudson has some prior experience with the series. In fact, I don't doubt Hudson Soft or Hudson Studio could do a better job than what Kuju's delivered so far.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
In short, I think its kinda Nintendo's way of winning back larger third party support, at the "expense" of a larger publishing portfolio. They're kinda shaking the whole model up a bit imo, and they're really uniquely positioned to do it, thanks to their reputation and IP, and the general fevered regard with which a lot of developers hold their star designers (Miyamoto in particular, of course).

Also, about AW, I thought it got quite good impressions at E3? Also, have we forgotten Metroid's first few showings...? I also agree they shouldn't stick to the GBA formula for GC..I'm glad they're doing something a little more different with it. It's better suited to the system.

Mama Smurf

AW's presentation may not be the greatest, but I hear the game was really good at E3. A couple of places weren't so impressed, but some people were wondering if it might be their game of the show on this board I recall.

emerge

Uh, i actually wasn't talking about publishers like Camelot, Hudson, Kuju et all who are quite small by themselves, of course profit a lot from Nintendo's publishing expertise and, while not technically owned by Nintendo, are probably more or less bought for certain projects. I was rather referring to things like the Capcom 5, where a beautiful prospect of collaboration turned into a sales horror movie, with probably both companies being disappointed and as a result loosening the relationship.

Mama Smurf

The Capcom 5 was pretty much all Capcom. In fact I don't think Nintendo had any involvement at all in the games. No more so than any other game coming out on their console anyway.

And that sort of thing isn't really what the topic's about.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Mama Smurf said:
The Capcom 5 was pretty much all Capcom. In fact I don't think Nintendo had any involvement at all in the games. No more so than any other game coming out on their console anyway.

And that sort of thing isn't really what the topic's about.

Exactly. Generally speaking, with these collaborations, Nintendo has published (I believe?), taking the risk out for the developer. If the game flopped, and Nintendo perceived it to be a quality issue, they'll know better in the future when it comes to that developer. Capcom5 wasn't really a collaboration, just Capcom being very generous with a nudge from Miyamoto.

emerge said:
Uh, i actually wasn't talking about publishers like Camelot, Hudson, Kuju et all who are quite small by themselves, of course profit a lot from Nintendo's publishing expertise and, while not technically owned by Nintendo, are probably more or less bought for certain projects. I was rather referring to things like the Capcom 5, where a beautiful prospect of collaboration turned into a sales horror movie, with probably both companies being disappointed and as a result loosening the relationship.

well.. the capcom example is quite interesting. They promised 5; delivered 2-3, cancelled one and have yet to release 2 more. If anything the titles they'd worked on.

REMAKE excellent - did well sales wise

RE0 - average sales but the RE franchise was going downhill anyway applies to REMAKE as well. Capcom did this to themselves by bringing the franchise to the DC initially. Its not all Nintendo

PNO3 - Not a spectacular game. how much time and effort did they spend on this? I like it but it IS very ordinary. Horror sales? You'd expect it

Phoenix Title - Cancelled/Mia (who know?)

Viewtiful - Excellent or Very Meh depending on who you ask. But its a very niche title. Look at it

Killer 7 - See Viewtiful. Unreleased after all this time. Will NOT sell. Extreme cel-shading art style will make its appeal limited. Nintendo was happy to allow them to bring the game onto the PS2 after their conversations about sales

RE4 - The holy grail.

Capcom should take a look at their own inhouse business because the GC isn't only where they're going wrong. Their PS2 sales have been lacklustre too. I don't think that thread is on the new board but there was one that went really detailed into Capcom's business model/games

CrisKre

Isn't brownie brown owned by nintendo? I was under the impression they where.

Anyway, if they aren't, thats one company nintendo should buy.

ge-man

The problem with Capcom is that they seem to overestimate their expected sales. It seems like the executives are still living in the PS1 days. They probably have had more issues with PS2 sales than anything else, which is why I laugh at the idea that Nintendo support was wrong. Most of the GC projects are dirt cheap--RE4 is the only substaintial investment.

Link316

Banned
Mashing said:
Advance Wars isn't a hot property? I'd say it's one of their strongest IPs this generation.

yeah well I'd rather get a "real" Cube Wars game made by Intelligent Systems instead, this current one is really just a Kuju game with a "Wars" license slapped on to it

no one's mentioned it here because it doesn't really belong here. But Advance Wars is a classic example. Out of nowhere, Nintendo/IS creates a new IP that is a fan favourite. Golden Sun is another. Pikmin is close but not really there. I wonder why they don't create new content more often? They definitely can bring new characters into the gaming universe but they choose not to. Hopefully later this gen and next, they'll make something of it; especially when these external cos are taking up their franchises.

jarrod

Banned
Capcom's always supported PS2 first and foremost, despite Production Studio 4's valiant GameCube effort. That said, Capcom's biggest problem is probably overestimating their products and moving away from multiplatform development models (which were key on SNES/Genesis & PS1/Saturn). Their early Dreamcast push was a bitter lesson also, I think their heavy reliance on DC/Naomi probably was a significant factor in them abandoning amusement (which was another rather stable revenue stream lost). Capcom recently at least seems to be turning more towards multiplatform development (VJ2, Killer 7, Capcom Fighting Jam) as well as solidly commiting to the new handhelds Nintendo DS & PSP, which is a good move considering GBA was their most stable platform and the only place their games continually exceeded their target sales.

I wouldn't expect any Capcom exclusives on GameCube after RE4 however (though new multiplatform games are likely). Partially I think because of hurt feelings due to Nintendo rejecting Capcom's very public investment request (who then went on to invest in Bandai). Really, had Nintendo shown some financial interest, I bet Viewtiful Joe 1-2 & Killer 7 would've remained exclusive, new games like Ookami and Panic Maker probably would've been on GameCube exclusively and Nintendo would probably have gotten content like Oniumsha 3 and DMC3 as multiplatform releases also. Too bad they went for Bandai instead. :/

Advance Wars isn't really a new IP. The wars series has been running for a long time in Japan.

Though I do agree about things like Pikmin that are brand spanking new and are creating a large following.

Top Bottom