• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power Holiday Issue 2007 (No More Heroes, Advance Wars, and more)

Vagabundo

thefro said:
Wow, No More Heroes actually has a chance with Nintendo Power pushing it hard.

How much power do mags have anymore to hype games? They used to be the main drivers of the gamer community, the internet has taken that away and to some extent fragmented it...

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Vagabundo said:
How much power do mags to hype games do mags have anymore? They used to be the main drivers of the gamer community, the internet has taken that away and to some extent fragmented it...

I think Bioshock got a benefit from early mag press giving it great scores.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
I know the japanese version of NMH will turn blood into other things, any chance that will be an option for the NA version?

I find gore in games an immediate killjoy, and otherwise this looks like a game I'd really enjoy

Saitou

Banned
Wow.

When did Nintendo Power get this awesome? I mean shit, a Suda 51 interview? That's hardcore.

Also, the protagonist of AWDS2 being made to eat canned bread among the rotting bodies of his friends for weeks to survive just ensured I buy five(5) copies of this wonderful game.

ethelred

Very nicely done on the thread, grand.

The preview of Advance Wars: Days of Ruin really sounds fantastic. And it's nice to hear they're doing a preview of ASH; hopefully Nintendo is in the process of localizing it.

What did the Revenant Wings review say?

ShockingAlberto said:
This is a good issue.

I'm a bit...annoyed that Apollo Justice is landing in such a crowded month (and I really didn't want it and Layton to go against each other), but it just means more gaming that month.

I don't mind, really. Last year it was PW2 and Hotel Dusk in February, and I enjoyed playing them back to back -- they nicely complimented each other.

The CO rides with a unit of your choice, giving that unit “veteran” status and power. If the unit gets defeated the CO returns to the base.

Sweet. :D It's as if Int Sys read my mind.

Edit: Also good news for when AJ comes out. Hopefully it doesn't interfere with Brawl.

AniHawk

Jesus Christ. I'm running through Trials and Tribulations right now and it's already another 3 months until Apollo Justice. In under 2.5 years we'll have had 4 Ace Attorney games release. It's gonna be a long wait for the fifth one.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
grandjedi6 said:
Release Dates
*ctrl+F* "mother 3"
NOT FOUND
... :(
grandjedi6 said:
Upcoming Virtual Console titles
*ctrl+F* "earthbound"
NOT FOUND
... :(

AW: DoR sounds awesome though. Not sure how I'll like the new CO features until I try it out. I'm a bit skeptical of it at the moment (though in IntSys we trust)

Arde5643

vanguardian1 said:
I know the japanese version of NMH will turn blood into other things, any chance that will be an option for the NA version?

I find gore in games an immediate killjoy, and otherwise this looks like a game I'd really enjoy
I think the gore in NMH is more of the over-the-top blood sputtering unrealistic gore compared to overexaggerated realistic gore a la Gears of War.

thomasos

Just to clarify, Samba on Wii isn't a mere remake. As I mention in the article, it'll include new songs, new stages, and new minigames.

Scarecrow

grandjedi6 said:
Interview: Goichi Suda (Suda 51)
-“No More Heroes” is a quote from the song “The Stranglers”. But also the assassins are like heroes to Travis, so if he defeats them all he won’t need heroes anymore.
Wow, I love that song. I was wondering if there was a connection. Hope he squeezes it in there somehow. :D

bryehn

I'm sorry, did Nintendo Power actually print the word "fuck"?

Looking forward to a lot of shit here...No More Heroes, Harvey Birdman, Final Fantasy IV, Ace Attorney 4, Advance Wars and Crystal Chronicles/

Spike

Why am I anticipating Harvey Birdman more than Apollo Justice?

Oh, Advance Wars and No More Heroes will rock!

SA-X

I'm really glad to read about the new direction of Advance Wars. I didn't even finish AW DS because I was burnt out on the same old formula after playing the GBA games to death.

Krowley

the coconut and lawnmower things in NMH makes me think of the jobs in shenmue 2. I never played shenmue, so I'm not sure if it had anything similar.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Hear the lullaby?
Haha.... rest in peace, baby.

Your shining armor and fine words won't get you anywhere!

Saitou

Banned
John Harker said:
Hear the lullaby?
Haha.... rest in peace, baby.

Your shining armor and fine words won't get you anywhere!
I will be severely dissappointed if Helter Skelter doesn't come back from the dead to kick your ass.

justchris

grandjedi6 said:
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
-The main character is Will, after the meteorite hit and killed every one he spent weeks living on only canned bread while digging himself out of rubble and dead bodies.
- 26 main missions
- 30 “training” missions can be unlocked as you complete levels
- new “Bike infantry” unit, can move quickly and capture cities but doesn’t have as much fire power as larger vehicles
-“Flare”, a new tank unit that can lob a bright light at enemies that are concealed by the Fog of War.
-“Duster”, a crop duster aircraft that can attack any kind of aircraft or land unit, but it isn’t as powerful.
- “Mobile Cannon” units
-another new unit is a ship that can mesh smartly with existing units (???)
-Everytime a unit destroys another unit it gains a rank, which gives it added strength. Can be upgrade 3 times, then it is a “veteran” unit
- CO powers aren’t as powerful as before
- The CO rides with a unit of your choice, giving that unit “veteran” status and power. If the unit gets defeated the CO returns to the base.
-As the CO’s unit destroys enemies the CO fills the CO power gauge.
-CO makes nearby vehicle’s more powerful
- CO’s also have a “CO zone” which gives units in the zone different power ups based on the CO. For example, a CO could give units added defense or increase their visual range
- Friend Code Wifi battles are voice chat inabled, just like Pokemon Diamond & Pearl was.
- Over 150 multiplayer campaigns available.
- You can create your own map which can then be uploaded to a server for all players in the world to try. People can also rank the uploaded map’s quality.
- Other CO’s include Isabella, has amsnesia and can only remember sensitive military details (looks like a shy anime girl ripoff);
-and Waylon, a hot shot flyboy who suddenly finds himself allyless (looks a life a “Are you a bad enough dude to save the president” rip off)

That is full of win and awesome. You can't see it, but I'm having kittens over here.

grandjedi6 said:
Sega Superstars Tennis

I don't know how, but at first I read that as "Segata Sanshiro Tennis". I felt this horrible, impending apocalypse, but it appears disaster has been averted.

Saitou

Banned
justchris said:
That is full of win and awesome. You can't see it, but I'm having kittens over here.
You should totally check out Panzer Tactics DS then. Sleeper hit am total.

I'm not kidding, go buy that game.

justchris

Saitou said:
You should totally check out Panzer Tactics DS then. Sleeper hit am total.

I'm not kidding, go buy that game.

Yeah, I saw this in the SRPG thread yesterday. I am cautiously optimistic. It'll be a couple weeks before I can check it out though, no way in hell I'm going shopping this weekend.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
vanguardian1 said:

Based on the way NP wrote it and what Suda said in the interview I'm leaning to this being only for the Japanese version due to the culture.

However the blood in No More Heroes is exaggerated to the point of being comical. Plus the Japanese version's blood doesn't actually look any different, it's just black instead of red.

xir said:
is the holiday issue an "extra" issue?

Yes. Now that Future is publishing Nintendo Power there will be 13 issues a year

bryehn said:
I'm sorry, did Nintendo Power actually print the word "fuck"?
No, they censored it as "****". But it was extremely obvious what Suda was saying so I filled in the blanks

ethelred said:
What did the Revenant Wings review say?.

Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings

Pros
-great production values (amazing music, great graphics, good cutscenes)
-reasonably deep strategic gameplay
- good storyline

Cons
-When the action heats up it becomes tricky to select the characters you want, the battles become hectic
-AI problems

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Checked out this issue today- one word on Samba that I haven't seen mentioned- the article specifically says that you can use Wiimote nunchuck OR 2 Wiimotes.:D

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Damn capcom, at least give us some breathing space between the Ace Attorney games.

The last thing they need to do is to kill the franchise by making everyone think it is released every 5 months.

FoxSpirit

I'm not so sure if I like those new AW changes with the veterancy system and the Co's being bound to units. I just dunno... :-\

I'm not so sure if I like those new AW changes with the veterancy system and the Co's being bound to units. I just dunno... :-\
According to a friend of mine (who is a huge Nintendo Wars fan), in some of the older "Wars" games (I think the Gameboy games), they had the ranking system where you can "level up" units to rank three, so it's really more of something Intelligent System is bringing back to the series with any tweaks to accommodate for modern AW mechanics.

Nicktals

Banned
I haven't laughed as hard at something online as I did at Suda's response to that rediculous question in a loooooong time.

So when is it coming out again? Please be before February. It's really my most anticipated game at this point. More funny weird than fucked up weird (as compared to K7) is a very good thing IMO, and will probably be incentive for me to finish the game even if the controls aren't perfect.

Firestorm

Hcoregamer00 said:
Damn capcom, at least give us some breathing space between the Ace Attorney games.

The last thing they need to do is to kill the franchise by making everyone think it is released every 5 months.

Well, you should be happy about the wait between AA4 and AA5 then... unless they do dual language from the very beginning it'll take a while.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Nicktals said:
I haven't laughed as hard at something online as I did at Suda's response to that rediculous question in a loooooong time.

So when is it coming out again? Please be before February. It's really my most anticipated game at this point. More funny weird than fucked up weird (as compared to K7) is a very good thing IMO, and will probably be incentive for me to finish the game even if the controls aren't perfect.

It's coming out in February 2008

Holy fuck the intro to Advance Wars is dark. I wish more games did stuff like this. Canned bread sounds awesome btw.

This thread rules.

Seriously? Advance Wars AND No More Heroes? They're both gritty?

I'm really glad I didn't cancel my subscription now. Just have to wait a while to actually see the issue.

I would buy a puzzle game about the intro to Advance Wars. It would be like Mr Driller except you'd go up instead of down, picking up cans of bread to stay alive. You'd match different colored pieces of debris to score huge points and try to avoid being crushed by dead bodies(you can't just drill through them because that would make it an M-rated game).

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
schuelma said:
Checked out this issue today- one word on Samba that I haven't seen mentioned- the article specifically says that you can use Wiimote nunchuck OR 2 Wiimotes.:D
Awesome. :D

Some nice info in this thread. I'm surprised it only made it to 2 pages after so many days.

I'm also surprised that SMG got 9.5 and that Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles and Okami are coming early in 2008.

Top Bottom