• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power - November 2008 (V234) - Muramasa, GTA DS

Cheez-It

Andrex said:
WHOAH! I was looking at this cause of MJ, but wow! What did they score the first one? Reasons behind this score??

I thought the same...

Alas:

80 Nintendo Power
Dance Dance Revolution has been luring gamers off their sofas for years, making the franchise a perfect hit for Wii fans. [Nov 2007, p.105]

botticus said:
Phoenix Wright manga (Vol1 - September, $14.95)
servingupsmiles.jpg

wsippel

Banned
Amir0x said:
It's not even comparable to the modern GTA's, it's just another shot at the old GTA gameplay that nobody cared about before the franchise became popular. It seems to be implementing a few of the more superficial features of its big boy cousins in an attempt to skirt the fumes.

Did you forget Gameboy Advance had a GTA? Obviously this is having a bit more effort put into it, but that's no surprise since Nintendo thought this was their big "hardcore" game of E3 2008 for some reason.
We'll see. I get a GTA meets Syndicate vibe, which is a great thing.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Cheez-It said:
I thought the same...

Alas:

Hrm, maybe I'll wait on GameSpot's score now. If it's 60% or higher I'll know it's pretty good. :lol

botticus said:
No one tell her that NP isn't based there anymore. :eek:

"Wait, then who the fuck did I just kill?"

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Miguga64 said:
SimCity Creator (Wii) - 6.0
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :,,((
That's kind of what I would expect. I'll wait for an IGN review or at least some review I can fully read before I make my decision.

RagnarokX said:
While GTADS sounds better than I thought, I think Amirox is right; probably look something like this:

5v4t8z.jpg

this would so suck ass, and I don't even think that's isometric

Just make the game like Max Payne GBA, but with polys. I'd be sooo over it (oh yeah, and MP was awesome)

maxpayne_gba.jpg

Speciale-Max-Payne-Parte-3-04-m.jpg

RagnarokX

Starchasing said:
^^

thats not iso perspective
Yeah, I know. Unfortunately there's only so much photomanipulation software can do :(

A big concern with this style is that isometric perspective and driving at high speeds don't mix too well.

sphinx said:
If R* decided to use the DS for their next GTA game in spite of the PSP's better developing ecosystem for the series, I think it's clear they have given up on the software selling aspect of the PSP.
R* gave up on the PSP when they ported LCS to the PS2. VCS's development was already probably too far gone.

Anyway, I'll check out Chinatown Wars. If it really is isometric GTA, it may possibly fill the void in my heart that Syndicate Wars left so long ago.

Darkpen

Banned
mmmm, phoenix wright manga, huh.

Definitely looking forward to Muramasa, if I ever get a Wii. Odin Sphere's so beautiful, and so is Kumatanchi.

I didn't know they made a second line rider, seems kinda redundant.

also: lol wat? Legend of Kage 2? Anyone got footage of that?

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Andrex said:
Ugh. Isometric games should not be made for systems with only a cross D-Pad, made Ring of Fates practically unplayable for me.

Yeah, I had big problems with Ring of Fates at times as well. As soon as I read isometric + aiming with D-pad in GTA DS, my interest dwindled. :/

Amir0x

Banned
Mr_Appleby said:

well, i actually enjoyed gta1 & 2 back in the day.

So did I, but the level of importance is certainly different. In the context of sphinx's betraylaton quote, that's why I mentioned that. GBA had a Grand Theft Auto as well, on a similar "secondary" scale. Like I said though, this is obviously somewhat more important to Nintendo so maybe it'll be better designed over all.

Jackson said:
Nintendo Power has jumped the shark...

That's since always!

botticus

Nuclear Muffin said:
Who's making GTA Chinatown Wars? R* North or R* Leeds?
Leeds.

I'll put up review summaries when I get home tonight, forgot to bring the magazine for bored perusal at work.

Peru

Amir0x said:
So did I, but the level of importance is certainly different. In the context of sphinx's betraylaton quote, that's why I mentioned that. GBA had a Grand Theft Auto as well, on a similar "secondary" scale.
Well, the GBA shared perspective with the original GTA's, but the controls were horrendous, fucked up. I still play the original GTA since the precise controls offer a great pick up and play racing rampage game. If they just nail the controls, I'm looking very much forward to another top down GTA.

botticus

dawnXjustice said:
No teaser this issue? :p
Surprisingly no. Just "and more!" after the list of games. Image is AC.

Seems like their better exclusives aren't teased anyway. Trauma Center 2, Muramasa, etc. Granted those are niche products, so it makes more sense to tease for "SONIC WITH A SWORD!" instead.

Top Bottom