• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power Sept 09 (LA MULANA to WiiWare, and some other shit)

EmCeeGramr said:
Wait, how ARE they gonna do La-Mulana? It's a game where you collect ROMs of actual (copyrighted) MSX games, and the graphics are intentionally MSX style.
I guess they either license the use of the names, or change them to parody titles?

sinxtanx

Crystal Bearers is easily one of my most anticipated games of this year, and this more mature setting they speak of just seals the deal even more. It could still become horribly bad in the end though.

I think when they say winter, they mean meteorological winter. The game will release in every respective country when winter arrives there (sorry AU).

La Mulana for WiiWare? Count me out! I hate that fucking game. Some people seem to like it though.

upandaway

syllogism said:
Nicalis is developing/porting/remaking La Mulana

The screens look pretty great
Isn't that still an assumption though? They didn't outright confirm it.
I'm not sure whether to like the idea or not, since they take so fucking long to do Cave Story. They promised May. May!

Not too many surprises this issue other than La-Mulana. Is there a teaser thing on the last page again?

syllogism

upandaway said:
Isn't that still an assumption though? They didn't outright confirm it.
I'm not sure whether to like the idea or not, since they take so fucking long to do Cave Story. They promised May. May!

Not too many surprises this issue other than La-Mulana. Is there a teaser thing on the last page again?
Uh, they just happen to announce a partnership with the La Mulana creator right after it gets announced for WiiWare?

duckroll

Announcing another WiiWare remake of a popular and sizable freeware platforming adventure game before Cave Story is even out? I like the idea, but are they ever going to actually release any of them?

mclem

nincompoop said:
La-Mulana is coming to Wiiware? MEGATON

Wow. It's great as a free game, but I wonder if they'll make some concessions to the Wiiware release; some aspects of the game's design border on downright unfair and may make people feel cheated in a retail title. I think they'd have to make things a bit more accessible, which will have purists cry out about dumbing down but, truth be told, will probably make it a better game in general.

Just saw some La-Mulana "scans" (off screen cell phone camera pictures) and the graphics look way beyond 16-bit quality to me. I still hope they let you choose the original graphics though, the feeling of old school nostalgia is kind of lost with the shiny new graphics.

Ranger X

JESUS CHRIST that NICALIS rocks!!! OMG

Line-up so far:

-Cave Story
-Night Game
-La Mulana

Seriously. What an awesome dev!!

d+pad

nincompoop said:
Just saw some La-Mulana "scans" (off screen cell phone camera pictures) and the graphics look way beyond 16-bit quality to me. I still hope they let you choose the original graphics though, the feeling of old school nostalgia is kind of lost with the shiny new graphics.

This is what I'm hoping too. Considering the WiiWare version of Cave Story supposedly will give you that option (to play the original version or the 'remade' version), though, it seems there's at least a chance the same will hold true for La-Mulana...

duckroll

d+pad said:
This is what I'm hoping too. Considering the WiiWare version of Cave Story supposedly will give you that option (to play the original version or the 'remade' version), though, it seems there's at least a chance the same will hold true for La-Mulana...

But they're making significant changes to La Mulana, so I don't see why they would go through the trouble of making "original" versions of the stuff they're changing. For example, I hear all the MSX stuff are gone, replaced by Nintendo references and stuff. So all those items and stuff will different in the remake.

AniHawk

duckroll said:
Announcing another WiiWare remake of a popular and sizable freeware platforming adventure game before Cave Story is even out? I like the idea, but are they ever going to actually release any of them?

Probably not.

upandaway

Ranger X said:
JESUS CHRIST that NICALIS rocks!!! OMG

Line-up so far:

-Cave Story
-Night Game
-La Mulana

Seriously. What an awesome dev!!

I don't know man, their biggest flaw so far is easily release dates. What gives La-Mulana or even Night Game will come out this year? They promised Cave Story for spring and Night for summer, and no word on either.

But that's off topic.

For La-Mulana, I kind of doubt they put in the original, unless they're gonna edit all the MSX cards out and replace them with whatever they put in the remake.

I just downloaded the freeware game. How do you play it? I can't figure out the controls. I know the arrow keys move and space attacks, but how do I enter tents and talk to people? Why do these freeware games never give the option to customize the controls?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
upandaway said:
I don't know man, their biggest flaw so far is easily release dates. What gives La-Mulana or even Night Game will come out this year? They promised Cave Story for spring and Night for summer, and no word on either.

But that's off topic.

For La-Mulana, I kind of doubt they put in the original, unless they're gonna edit all the MSX cards out and replace them with whatever they put in the remake.
I think all that's left with Cave Story is bug fixes.

Cow Mengde said:
I just downloaded the freeware game. How do you play it? I can't figure out the controls. I know the arrow keys move and space attacks, but how do I enter tents and talk to people? Why do these freeware games never give the option to customize the controls?
Just press down, it's the natural choice since up is used for jumping...

As for them not having the original in, eh, all they need is to replace the game names with parody names and they're done.

By the way the screenshots remind me of Wario Land: Shake It, probably because of the theme :D

Meh, who cares, it's not like we haven't had good WiiWare games lately and it's not like they'll end up NOT releasing these since it's all their business now... They're hardly the only developer to fuck up release dates and it's not like it's been a year or something... Just be patient? That link of yours is hardly a promise...

Zihark

ivysaur12 said:
Crystal Bearers sounds amazing. I really would love to read that article. Anything more of note in it?
Clavats are mainly servants/farmers, Selkies are carefree outlaws who rebel against the Lilties-undercurrents of racial conflict. Layle is 21.

Top Bottom